93 replies to this topic

#21 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 2,819 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:23 PM

do you critize his shot taking or his play?

i dont really get it

at the end of the day WE WON THIS GAME WITH AN EFFORT WHICH WAS MAGIC!!!!!

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#22 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:31 PM

do you critize his shot taking or his play?

i dont really get it

at the end of the day WE WON THIS GAME WITH AN EFFORT WHICH WAS MAGIC!!!!!

Can't separate the 2. Taking better shots and doing a better job of getting your teammates involved is a part of his play.

Singling out one play in a game that he clearly sucked butt for the most part only shows that you are willing to forgive anything in a win...and the TEAM can NOT get better for the future with this type of play.

If you're only worried about Kobe and his "legendary" plays, it makes sense.

If you are looking at this as part of the Lakers progression towards being Championship contenders, you have to see this as a step forward for everyone NOT named Kobe.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

#23 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,089 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:35 PM

If Kobe had only taking like let's say 20 shots and shot the same FG% he would have scored around 16-20 points instead of 34 would that make all you you guys happy? Howard was in foul trouble out for long periods due to it and who are you going to rely on making shots besides Kobe consistently? Ill take those 41 shots with NO FOULS and 34 points. In reality he prolly shot 44%ish if they had called some of those fouls.

Posted Image

#24 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,796 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:36 PM

If Kobe had only taking like let's say 20 shots and shot the same FG% he would have scored around 16-20 points instead of 34 would that make all you you guys happy? Howard was in foul trouble out for long periods due to it and who are you going to rely on making shots besides Kobe consistently? Ill take those 41 shots with NO FOULS and 34 points. In reality he prolly shot 44%ish if they had called some of those fouls.

Yea and those other 21 shots could have gone to other players that could have shot a better FG%.

41 FGA is too much and if you think otherwise...you don't understand basketball.

#25 Clutch

Clutch

YESSURRRRR

• 8,211 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:51 PM

that shot was sexy
Posted Image

#26 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't have a problem with how Kobe played. We needed him to be aggressive and that's what he was doing, especially since GSW wasn't double teaming him. And down the stretch he was unstoppable.

#27 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 2,908 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:07 PM

41 shots by any player is a recipe for failure. They won the game, great. Don't shoot so much.

#28 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,514 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:07 PM

I don't have a problem with how Kobe played. We needed him to be aggressive and that's what he was doing, especially since GSW wasn't double teaming him. And down the stretch he was unstoppable.

I think he was forcing too much in the first half.

#29 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:16 PM

I think he was forcing too much in the first half.

That's not why we fell behind

#30 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 2,819 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted December 23, 2012 - 01:16 PM

kobe saved us with nash in the overtime!

HE WAS THERE WHEN WE NEEDED HIM!

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#31 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted December 23, 2012 - 02:05 PM

You could make a better argument that Kobe saved himself.

#32 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,338 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 23, 2012 - 02:31 PM

Even if you consider the reason that about ten of those shots should have resulted in free throws, shooting the ball 30+ times is still pretty bad.

yet making 16 of them would put his percentage over 50 so no one would be complaining.

Yea and those other 21 shots could have gone to other players that could have shot a better FG%.

41 FGA is too much and if you think otherwise...you don't understand basketball.

Meeks missed every three except two and a lot of them were off of Kobe's passes. Pau never made himself an option to be passed to whenever Kobe took it to the lane because he decided to camp the three point line. And the one time he made himself an available option inside when Kobe drived it Kobe passed him the ball and Pau got an and 1.

Fact is if you watch most of the times Kobe drove and tried to score, it was either right at the basket high percentage that he got fouled on and got no call, or it was a situation where no one made themselves available on the week side(unless you wanted him to dish it to Gasol for three)

A LOT of those shots he missed should have been free throws. Heck even Meeks when he went inside and made a layup he was hammered and knocked out of bounds and the ref RIGHT THERE didn't blow the whistle.

That's the kind of game it was.

Kobe said he decided late in the game that since the refs weren't calling squat that he would stay outside the paint and not drive and instead take the easier shots he could find from there. And guess what, he shot 50% and made nearly every crucial shot in the 4th and overtime with Nash and MWP hitting the other two that were a factor.

Thing is, the refs were calling an unbalanced game last night and Kobe's shot percentage suffered, because 80% of those shots were point blank range and at the basket because he beat the guy off the iso, and he was FOULED on. So I can't be mad at him for taking the high percentage shot, getting whacked and the ref not calling it.

And for those that say "Well if the refs aren't calling it then stop driving to the basket!!" Thing is, if Kobe did that then every one of those shots would have been a contested long jumper. Asking Kobe to do that would be like asking Dwight to stop looking for the ball in the paint because they're gonna foul him.

How the reffing was last night was Dwight played 7 or 8 minutes in the first 3 quarters cause of foul trouble and the only free throw Kobe shot was a technical.

and we.. STILL won.. and Kobe had a lot to do with that. And I hope everyone in that game day thread that was screaming "NOOOO!" when Kobe came back into the game in the 4th feels like an idiot today. And it was hilarious watching them turncoat begging Kobe to bail us out when he started hitting shots. It went from "NOOO!! KOBE'S COMING BACK IN!" to "MAMBA!! IT'S KOBE TIME!"

Some "fans" are so fickle I spend half the gameday thread laughing.

That's all that needs to be said.

Edited by Majesty, December 23, 2012 - 02:43 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#33 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,900 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 02:40 PM

I just don't see the issue with criticizing Kobe. If it was any other non Lakers player, we'd be calling him a chucker.

You guys need to stop being homers. It's ridiculous. I'm happy we won and I'm happy Kobe was Kobe down the stretch but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticized.

He shot over 40 times, it's too much for any player. End of discussion.

#34 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,338 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 02:45 PM

I just don't see the issue with criticizing Kobe. If it was any other non Lakers player, we'd be calling him a chucker.

You guys need to stop being homers. It's ridiculous. I'm happy we won and I'm happy Kobe was Kobe down the stretch but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticized.

If it was anyone else I'd have said the same thing. I'm not going to ignore when a player is viciously hacked and doesn't get calls and I'm not going to act like their field goal percentage didn't suffer because of it.

I also wouldn't call that player a "chucker" when 70% of their shots were at the basket and they had to be hit in order for it to miss and the refs did nothing. If a majority of his shots were long range contested shots I'd call him a chucker yeah., But they weren't. A majority were at the basket, high percentage.

There's a difference between being a chucker and taking ill advised long range bombs you don't have to, and taking high percentage shots, getting fouled on each one and the ref ignoring it.

9 times out of 10 we would ALL prefer if 70% of Kobe's shots came from directly at the basket, it's the highest percentage shot in the game. And in most other games he'd probably get the foul called on half of them which would result in free throws.

How often is Kobe going to shoot ONE free throe when 70% of his shots are at the basket and he is hit on? Not many. Last night was a disgusting performance by the refs who seemed intent to ensure, Dwight didn't play and Kobe never got a call. I'd always point that out no matter WHO was playing. Even if it was lebron whom I can't stand with every fiber of my being.

Edited by Majesty, December 23, 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 18,367 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Sir, I salute you.
Posted Image

#36 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,958 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 23, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Players should be criticized when they play poorly no matter who it is. It's not hard.

Kobe's been good so far this season, but that wasn't a good game by him.

Posted Image

#37 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted December 23, 2012 - 04:13 PM

Players should be criticized when they play poorly no matter who it is. It's not hard.

Kobe's been good so far this season, but that wasn't a good game by him.

he hit so many shots late in the game, it was a good game for him, but not a great one. he lead us to victory,id say thats a good game.

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?
(Peace Pau we need pieces, not MettaWorldPieces!!!!!!!!)

#38 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,089 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Another player taking 41 shots yea but its Kobe taking those shots maybe you don't know nothing about Kobe Bryant.

Posted Image

#39 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,051 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted December 23, 2012 - 06:57 PM

Just because you have a good shot, doesn't make it a great shot. Team basketball is easy. You move the ball until it reaches the person with the best shot opportunity on the floor. Kobe had many decent to good looks last night, and yes, he can make them. But you don't keep banging your head on the wall when the shots weren't falling. You stay patient, move the ball, and get the team in position to get a score. Last night Kobe was impatient and forced the issue trying to create a shot that wasn't there far too often.

In the fourth quarter and overtime, the whole team finally settled down and started playing more patiently instead of jacking up wild shots trying to increase the pace. It's no coincidence that's when they made their run.
Posted Image

#40 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,338 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 07:10 PM

Just because you have a good shot, doesn't make it a great shot. Team basketball is easy. You move the ball until it reaches the person with the best shot opportunity on the floor. Kobe had many decent to good looks last night, and yes, he can make them. But you don't keep banging your head on the wall when the shots weren't falling. You stay patient, move the ball, and get the team in position to get a score. Last night Kobe was impatient and forced the issue trying to create a shot that wasn't there far too often.

In the fourth quarter and overtime, the whole team finally settled down and started playing more patiently instead of jacking up wild shots trying to increase the pace. It's no coincidence that's when they made their run.

Only 4 of Kobe's shots for the entire 4 quarters were long jumpers. And only 6 were free throw line extended. The rest of them were inside the key or directly at the basket.

You tell me a higher percentage shot than that please? Higher percentage shot is a free throw... and he didn't get any for his efforts.

it's easy to sit back and say "you just keep moving the ball"

But seriously if Kobe had taken it to the basket on the iso and had an EASY layup and decided to kick it out to the streaky Meeks(which he did do) and Meeks clanked the three(which he also did) then you'd be saying "WHY DIDN'T KOBE TAKE THE LAYUP!!?!?! COME ON!!"

And who else would he have done with it? Pass it through three people to the strong side of their defense and turn it over? Or how about giving it to Gasol on the weak side who was camping the three point line instead of trailing and looking for a shot off of the defense collapsing....

it's easy to sit and judge Kobe, but the fact of the matter is when your choices are passing it through the defenses strong side, or giving it to Gasol for three on the weak side because he refuses to trail you for support then a wide open layup isn't such a bad option then is it?

And then you get hit and the refs never call it.

I'll take Kobe taking 70% of his shots as wide open layups he HAS to be hit on in order to prevent them any day of the week. Just so happens we had refs last night that refused to call any fouls for anyone other than our bad free throw shooters. Jordan Hill and Dwight Howard got more free throws than Kobe. And they converted on their shots, I'm sure that wasn't counted on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users