Photo

Kobe no longer focused on championships, but on passing Kareem? Story inside.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:49 AM

http://sulia.com/cha...?source=twitter

Someone who knows Kobe Bryant well suggests that he has turned his attention from making his case as the NBA's
[font='Open Sans', ', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif} ']all-time greatest player by surpassing Michael Jordan in championships to finishing his career as the NBA's all-time leading scorer. The reason? He has a better shot at success. It's not that Kobe won't, or can't, win another ring, but the odds are tilting heavily against him, particularly when it comes to using it as a testament to his all-time greatness. He currently has five titles to his name while Jordan has six, but Bryant can say he made it to the Finals seven times. Passing Jordan on the all-time scoring list, at his current rate, should be a snap; Bryant (30,252) is only 2,040 points behind him. If he maintains his current league-leading scoring average of 29.5, he'll start next season needing roughly 400 more points, or 14 more games at that pace, to rise above his Airness. That alone would put him in the conversation. Imagine, though, if he solidifies himself as both the greatest Laker and scorer of all time by vaulting the last two names on the scroll, Karl Malone (36,928) and Kareem (38,387). It's not the stretch it once seemed. At his current pace, he'll finish this season with nearly 32,000 points (31,903, to be exact). He'd then need to average a little over 26 points for three more seasons to match Kareem. Let's account for age -- even though this season he's defying it -- and say his average drops a couple of points every season for the next three. Let's also allow for a handful of missed games each season. Even with all that, it would take him no more than four more seasons to start sniffing 40,000 points. Knowing Kobe's mindset, this shift makes all the sense in the world because he's always been most comfortable betting on himself. He can't control what kind of team the Lakers put around him, but keeping himself and his scoring average purring along until he's 38? That IS within his control. Retiring as a Laker also makes far more sense for his legacy than chasing a ring elsewhere -- and rest assured, everything Kobe is doing now, whether it's his public compliments to the young stars coming up behind him or his measured tone as a leader or his graciousness to the media, is about polishing that legacy. I'm also told the Lakers realize that finding another box-office attraction on Kobe's level, no matter how few games they win, would be extremely difficult. And just imagine him becoming the all-time scoring leader in someone else's uniform? The Lakers would rather not. Nor would Kobe.[/font]

Edited by Calisupra2nr, December 22, 2012 - 10:50 AM.

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:49 AM

Ric Bucher, enough said.

#3 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:51 AM

haha i know. Bucher has always been one of the worst reporters, even at ESPN, but I figured I would throw this out there anyway...

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Bucher = Modern day Peter Vescey.

All sensationalism and no credibility.

Although I always contended that Kobe won't retire until he gets that scoring record. But saying he's not focused on winning rings is flat our ridiculous.

#5 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Bucher = Modern day Peter Vescey.

All sensationalism and no credibility.

Although I always contended that Kobe won't retire until he gets that scoring record. But saying he's not focused on winning rings is flat our ridiculous.

agreed, I dont know how anyone in their right mind can say Kobe is not focused on winning another ring. That would be tantamount to giving up - something Kobe's mentality would never allow for. If he wins another ring AND gets the scoring record...I think he even puts himself in talks with MJ as best of all time.

#6 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,042 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 22, 2012 - 11:29 AM

Kobe cares about Championships. Moving on.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#7 kobedoinwork

kobedoinwork

Rookie

• 760 posts
  • Name:Matthew
  • Fan Since:Born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 22, 2012 - 12:01 PM

Whatever happened to him? Is he still at espn, because I hardly ever see him there anymore

#8 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2012 - 12:30 PM

Kobe should wipe some more snot on Ric Bucher's head.

#9 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted December 22, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Whatever happened to him? Is he still at espn, because I hardly ever see him there anymore

Idk. I hope he's not. He's a horrible reporter.

#10 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 22, 2012 - 12:36 PM

:laughing:

Bucher is a clown.
htCCl0m.png

#11 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,083 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2012 - 12:57 PM

"Someone who knows Kobe well says..." Kobe is no longer focused on winning championships? Yeah, they obviously don't know Kobe well.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#12 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,901 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:06 PM

Kobe wants that scoring record. It'd be foolish to think he doesn't care about that.

But I wouldn't prioritize it over another ring. That's stupid.

Edited by Massacre, December 22, 2012 - 01:07 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,042 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:10 PM

If Kobe cared about the scoring championship he would have played the final games last year and won the scoring title. Durant only got it last year because Kobe decided not to play.

If Kobe cared about things like that he would have.

#14 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,901 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:33 PM

I wouldn't compare a meaningless scoring title to becoming the NBA's all-time leading scorer which undisputedly labels you (in Kobe's case) as the best scorer to ever play the game. Not close.
iyjywo.jpg

#15 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,693 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:49 PM

ohj please

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,042 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:53 PM

I wouldn't compare a meaningless scoring title to becoming the NBA's all-time leading scorer which undisputedly labels you (in Kobe's case) as the best scorer to ever play the game. Not close.

So two 30 point games wouldn't have added to his all time point total?? riight...

he sat out, thus sacrificed points.

Edited by Majesty, December 22, 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#17 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,901 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Kobe sat out one game and that was the close out game in Sacramento. We only had 2 days of rest before the playoffs would begin. We had just beaten OKC in a game where Kobe played 50 minutes.

Irrelevant.

Edited by Massacre, December 22, 2012 - 03:53 PM.

iyjywo.jpg

#18 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,839 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted December 22, 2012 - 04:21 PM

if kobe was serious about scoring. he would of avg 40 every game.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#19 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Rings 1st!

everything else icing on the cake
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#20 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,119 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:44 PM

When we were playing like complete garbage two weeks ago, Kobe had a couple of games where it looked like he was going to make sure he scored a bunch as his teammates failed to show up. It was a short stretch that ended during the game at NYK.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users