12 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 20, 2012 - 02:20 PM

I like these changes, will make it more competitive IMO

The NBA announced a few tweaks to the format of its All-Star Saturday lineup on Thursday, connecting the events by way of a competition between the Eastern and Western Conferences and adding “captains” to oversee the spectacle.

In years past, the four events — the Shooting Stars, Skills Challenge, Three-Point Contest and Slam Dunk Contest — were totally independent. Beginning at this year’s 2013 All-Star Weekend in Houston, the East and West will receive points based on the results of each of the four events, with the overal winning conference earning extra money to donate to charity

Why make these changes?

The primary motivation would seem to be drumming up interest in the Shooting Stars and Skills Challenge, which have traditionally been pointless appetizers before the real show begins with the Three-Point Contest and Dunk Contest, and gaining exposure for the charities. It’s not entirely clear how many people out there will actually be motivated to tune in earlier and stick around throughout simply because of a charity-driven competition, but this will give the television broadcasters some extra material to fill time. It should help the charities involved get constant name-checking and logo shots on televised graphics as the competition’s progress is being tracked from event to event.

The inclusion of captains for each side could also help spark interest. Big-name NBA stars have become a courtside fixture during the Dunk Contest, which adds some excitement and buzz to the scene. Watching LeBron James watch the Dunk Contest is often as exciting as the Dunk Contest itself. If the Saturday Night captains wind up being star players and they interact with the participants throughout the events, that could be reason enough to tune in. Just imagine James and Kevin Durant lightheartedly talking trash during the Shooting Skills. A chance to watch the stars interact in a somewhat impromptu and extemporaneous fashion would be far more entertaining than the WNBA halfcourt shot contest.

Of course, there’s a chance the Saturday Night captains wind up being broadcasters or former players, in which case we’re right back to no one caring about the first half of the show. Please, NBA: do not make the captains Shaquille O’Neal and Magic Johnson. Resist the temptation.

The 2013 All-Star Game will be held on Sunday, Feb. 17 at the Toyota Center. All-Star Saturday will be Feb. 16.

http://nba.si.com/2012/12/20/nba-all-star-saturday-dunk-contest-three-point-contest/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,034 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted December 20, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Seems pretty interesting, plus donating to charity is always good.

#3 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,094 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 03:16 PM

If they want to make it really competitive, they should make it the winner will have home-court advantage in the NBA Finals (like the MLB).

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,639 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 20, 2012 - 04:29 PM

They should make the skills challenge and 3 point shootout NBA vs WNBA's best.

That would make things interesting.

I know a couple of girls in the WNBA that could give the men a run for their money in both the skills and the three point contest.

And the dunk contest should be open for NBA players and street ballers(the ones that are in the sprite dunk contest earlier in the day)

Edited by Majesty, December 20, 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,237 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted December 20, 2012 - 05:20 PM

If they want to make it really competitive, they should make it the winner will have home-court advantage in the NBA Finals (like the MLB).

No.
Posted Image

#6 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,455 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 20, 2012 - 05:38 PM

I know a couple of girls in the WNBA that could give the men a run for their money in both the skills and the three point contest.

And the dunk contest should be open for NBA players and street ballers(the ones that are in the sprite dunk contest earlier in the day)

no
Nba only. Only the best basketball players.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,639 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 06:18 PM

no
Nba only. Only the best basketball players.

There's womens basketball players in the WNBA that could give men a run for their money in the skills and 3 point challenge.

Don't be close minded. There's womens basketball players that could contend with NBA players in the skills and 3 point contest, Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi for starters.

#8 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,455 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 20, 2012 - 08:04 PM

There's womens basketball players in the WNBA that could give men a run for their money in the skills and 3 point challenge.

Don't be close minded. There's womens basketball players that could contend with NBA players in the skills and 3 point contest, Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi for starters.

I watch the Nba for one reason. To see the best.

If I wanna watch 2nd tier bball players ill watch WNBA.

Nba only

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,639 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 02:26 AM

I watch the Nba for one reason. To see the best.

If I wanna watch 2nd tier bball players ill watch WNBA.

Nba only

You're really close minded if you don't think some of the WNBA guards especially the ones I mentioned couldn't give the guys a run for their money in the skills and 3 point shot challenge.

You can admit that some girls are as good a 3 point shooters as the men and some are even better. Your world won't implode. Ask the team USA guys that were supposed to guard Maya Moore when coach K brought her up for Olympic camp. They thought it was a joke too and she wore every last one of them out on that court.

Some girls go just as hard as guys and some even more so. Maya Moore is special.

I'd like to see her in the skills challenge and the 3 point contest with some of the guys as well as some of the other talented WNBA players. Would make things interesting, and put some pride on the line.

Edited by Majesty, December 21, 2012 - 02:27 AM.

#10 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 21, 2012 - 07:50 AM

I don't think the WNBA should be apart of it
but I do agree with you on the dunk contest a lot of NBA players aren't that creative or competitive in the Dunk Contest

#11 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:17 AM

You're really close minded if you don't think some of the WNBA guards especially the ones I mentioned couldn't give the guys a run for their money in the skills and 3 point shot challenge.

You can admit that some girls are as good a 3 point shooters as the men and some are even better. Your world won't implode. Ask the team USA guys that were supposed to guard Maya Moore when coach K brought her up for Olympic camp. They thought it was a joke too and she wore every last one of them out on that court.

Some girls go just as hard as guys and some even more so. Maya Moore is special.

I'd like to see her in the skills challenge and the 3 point contest with some of the guys as well as some of the other talented WNBA players. Would make things interesting, and put some pride on the line.

Their nice when compared to other women but what women could keep up with Westbrook or D-Rose in the skills challenge

#12 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,711 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted December 21, 2012 - 10:45 AM

I was watching the 1972 all star games and they said the players who got selected got a Colour TV. (back then, was huge lol)

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#13 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 21, 2012 - 03:08 PM

Their nice when compared to other women but what women could keep up with Westbrook or D-Rose in the skills challenge

I agree about the skills challenge. The elite point guards are too fast for even the quickest WNBA guards.

I could see the girls giving some of the guys a run in a 3pt shooting contest though

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users