• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 14, 2012 - 08:02 AM

NEW YORK – Kobe Bryant marched out of the interview room, down the small flight of stairs and walked stiffly through the back corridors of Madison Square Garden. He winced once, and again, slowing to straighten his aching back. For all of the ferocity and frustration that washed over him across one more embarrassing defeat, a strange sense of serenity buoyed Bryant late Thursday.

On his way out of the Lakers' fourth straight loss, on the way out of the kind of beat-down he had forever thrust onto the New York Knicks in the past, Bryant started to speak about champions. His conversation on Wednesday with Magic Johnson was still on his mind, and a parallel that Johnson had raised stayed with Bryant.
In the Lakers' moment of crisis, Bryant summoned the toughness and leadership and serious-mindedness of those who had raised banners with him. In his own way, he's challenging Dwight Howard. Steve Nash. Even Mike D'Antoni.

"A lot of responsibility is going to fall on me and Pau [Gasol], but we need Metta [World Peace]," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports. "Metta has a big presence on this team. I really encourage him to take that role head on – and to be an enforcer with it. But Metta, he's done it before. We've won before together."

Bryant stopped in the hallway on the way out of a 116-107 loss to the Knicks, his eyes widening and his voice – scratchy, tired from a night, from a season, of screaming – became a little louder, a little surer when he said again, "It has to be the guys who have done it before."

He let that hang there for a moment – who have done it before – and finally smirked and said, "Metta's just as intense as I am, and he's got a lot of that psychopath attitude that I do.

"That's something Magic and me talked about, about how [Michael] Cooper and him did that a lot, how they played off each other."

The Lakers are a mess, but they were never constructed to win without Gasol and Nash. This core will get a chance to turn this season around, to win together, but time is slipping away with a 9-14 record in the Western Conference. Nash believes he can start practicing next week, and these Lakers desperately need him back to run the offense, get the ball moving, get his teammates easy opportunities and spare them the turnovers that turn into transition baskets.
Nash will make life easier for Gasol, and make no mistake: Once Gasol's knee tendinitis lessens enough to allow him to return, Nash could be responsible for sparing Gasol his Lakers career. The organization will give Gasol a chance to work within D'Antoni's system, but should he struggle to find his fit, multiple sources insist the Lakers are prepared to trade him for a younger, more athletic forward and bench help.

The Lakers have pushed back their pursuit of exiled Utah Jazz shooting guard Raja Bell, understanding there's a short-term priority to investigate clearing a roster spot to add a point guard. The Chicago Bulls have shown a willingness to sign Bell to a non-guaranteed deal, but that hasn't inspired Bell to agree to a buyout with the Jazz, sources said.

In the end, these Lakers are responsible for regenerating championship aspirations themselves. There always promised to be an uneasy partnership between Bryant and Howard, because they're personalities that are so diametrically different. Howard is the class clown, and Bryant has little, if any, use for levity within the locker room – especially amidst the losing.

They'll never be close – not unless they win a title, anyway – and truth be told, for these Lakers to prosper, they don't need to Bryant and Howard to be close.

Read more http://tinyurl.com/c7srdmg

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted December 14, 2012 - 08:10 AM

Translated: I'm Kobe. I'm still the man. See the 5 rings Dwight? You play behind me and learn how to win.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#3 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 14, 2012 - 08:18 AM

He already knows how to solve this situation. He should play as a facilitator and not as a ballhog while getting everyone else involved in the game. Then, it is time to adjust your approach to the game, Kobe.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#4 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,841 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted December 14, 2012 - 09:09 AM

^ did u see the game?

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#5 foreveryoung

foreveryoung

Rookie

• 102 posts
  • Fan Since:Long Time

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:49 AM

Kobe started the game making all of his first 4 shots, after that he missed about 8 straight, and it was because of back spasms. He got his riddim back late in the 3rd and got it going in the 4th. He had 6 assists and more rebounds than Dwight. He played a great game, it was other people who didn't step up and our Defense. That's why we lost.

People like Jamison, Meeks and MWP needs to step their game up.

Posted Image

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 14, 2012 - 10:50 AM

He already knows how to solve this situation. He should play as a facilitator and not as a ballhog while getting everyone else involved in the game. Then, it is time to adjust your approach to the game, Kobe.

you sound really stupid

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:25 PM

No surprises there...Kobe's brand of motivation...

And Windu, that isn't stupid. It is the truth...though it doesn't matter. Nash is almost back and we've wasted over 20 games fighting about something that should have happened a long time ago...

Think about this:

Bynum averaged more lobs and dunks last year than Dwight is averaging right now. They fed Bynum more last year than they feed Dwight now. According to some, Dwight is just as effective on the low block as Bynum, is stronger, and more deserving of more touches than Bynum. Yet we get Dwight here and go far away from getting him easy shots at the rim?

Kobe's got to stop calling his teammates out so much. There's too much going on to say things like this. He needs to be encouraging them, mentoring them, not prodding them. But we all know Kobe...this is just how he "leads". We will see if it works.

I love the competitiveness and fire Kobe always exhibits but I don't think the same things that worked in the past is going to work this year with this group. Knowing that, I'm shocked he hasn't tried honey instead vinegar. But these are my observations...they may be wrong but it's how I feel.

This is far and away the most talented Lakers team he's ever had. Losing, even without Nash, is disturbing.

Great players find a way to win.

Edited by GCMD, December 14, 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#8 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:34 PM

This team is nowhere near near the most talented team Kobe has ever had. Dwight is great, but he's not 100 percent. Who else do we have that contributes consistently? No one. The five championship teams we had were way more talented.
htCCl0m.png

#9 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:44 PM

This team is nowhere near near the most talented team Kobe has ever had. Dwight is great, but he's not 100 percent. Who else do we have that contributes consistently? No one. The five championship teams we had were way more talented.

Nash
Kobe
Metta
Pau
Dwight

Name 1 PG he played with who was better than Nash...
Name 1 PF he played with who was better than Pau...
Name 1 C he played with who was better than Dwight (other than Shaq)...

On the Shaq and Kobe teams, it wasn't even close. They had role players across the board. None of them were even close to AllStar caliber. On the Kobe/Pau teams, the best PG they had was? Derek Fisher...how about C? Bynum. And SF? Ariza...and it's debatable if he's better than MWP.

How about the bench?

Steve Blake is the best backup PG we've had in over a decade.
Meeks is the best backup 2 we've had in any of the 2K Ch'ips
Jamison is a better offensive player than LO and no worse defensively...
Jordan Hill is the best backup PF/C we've had in over a decade.

I may be forgetting someone. If I am, please correct me.

So to conclude, this is the most TALENTED Lakers team Kobe's ever been a part of.

#10 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Dude Metta has been garbage on both ends. Pau isn't anywhere near the player he was a few years ago. At this point he's just a role player. Our bench is not much better than last season which is scary because they were AWFUL last year. Dwight as I said is terrific, but he's not healthy. Nash is 39 years old and we have no idea how he's going to come back from this injury.
htCCl0m.png

#11 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,736 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:55 PM

Dude Metta has been garbage on both ends. Pau isn't anywhere near the player he was a few years ago. At this point he's just a role player. Our bench is not much better than last season which is scary because they were AWFUL last year. Dwight as I said is terrific, but he's not healthy. Nash is 39 years old and we have no idea how he's going to come back from this injury.

http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59625-the-lakers-are-clearly-the-best-team-in-the-west/
http://lakernation.com/forums/index.php?/topic/59105-why-i-believe-the-lakers-will-win-the-championship/

#12 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 01:00 PM

No surprises there...Kobe's brand of motivation...

And Windu, that isn't stupid. It is the truth...though it doesn't matter. Nash is almost back and we've wasted over 20 games fighting about something that should have happened a long time ago...

Think about this:

Bynum averaged more lobs and dunks last year than Dwight is averaging right now. They fed Bynum more last year than they feed Dwight now. According to some, Dwight is just as effective on the low block as Bynum, is stronger, and more deserving of more touches than Bynum. Yet we get Dwight here and go far away from getting him easy shots at the rim?

Kobe's got to stop calling his teammates out so much. There's too much going on to say things like this. He needs to be encouraging them, mentoring them, not prodding them. But we all know Kobe...this is just how he "leads". We will see if it works.

I love the competitiveness and fire Kobe always exhibits but I don't think the same things that worked in the past is going to work this year with this group. Knowing that, I'm shocked he hasn't tried honey instead vinegar. But these are my observations...they may be wrong but it's how I feel.

This is far and away the most talented Lakers team he's ever had. Losing, even without Nash, is disturbing.

Great players find a way to win.

It's asinine.

He should play as a facilitator and not as a ballhog while getting everyone else involved in the game.

Biggest lie going around. The biggest myth in the NBA is that you can make shots for another player. Kobe Bryant cannot be the team's PG, SG, SF, PF, and C. 5 APG for Kobe btw

This is the big league. People need to stop acting like this is kiddie basketball and that the MILLIONAIRES on this team need their hands held.

Kobe doesn't need talent around him, he needs ball players...just like every other superstar.

Great players find a way to win...in tennis. In basketball, it takes a team effort...including the coaches.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 01:03 PM

Nash
Kobe
Metta
Pau
Dwight

how many games has the 38 year old nash played this season? two?

Ron? don't make me laugh

Pau? ok, I have to laugh at that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 14, 2012 - 02:06 PM

Jamison is a better offensive player than LO and no worse defensively...

Wow ok. You go believe that.

Name 1 PF he played with who was better than Pau...

In the past yes but right now there are many many many better players better than him.

Name 1 PG he played with who was better than Nash...

He played like 3 games. If he does come back from this injury we will see how much our team improves. I doubt much at all.

Steve Blake is the best backup PG we've had in over a decade.

Farmer was much better.

The last 2 championship laker teams were much better than this one. The team was solid. We had a legit 6th man and a HOF pau who was dominating.

Now we have no real 6th man and a pau who is god awful. Dwight is an improvement but because he has no help team just need to foul him to really keep him out of games offensively.

#15 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm a little bit concerned with Kobe - He's a guy that, no matter how much money or how many championships he has, always fights to win and get better. When he was interviewed by Stephen A Smith, he kind of hinted that if they're not successful, that in the end, there's nothing he can do about it. He just seems more resigned.

Edited by leor_77, December 14, 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 14, 2012 - 03:37 PM

Can't count how many times I've cited how Kobe adores Metta and what he brings to this team.

Because Metta is the ONLY OTHER GUY on this team that actually looks for his own shot and tries to take the load off Kobe and looks to get open in clutch situations rather than putting it all on Kobe to bail them out. Metta can take criticism just like Kobe can and he's just as confident and crazy about winning as Kobe, that plus his will to win and bring effort every night is what Kobe adores.

Last night when Kobe struggled he(Metta) took offensive initiative and scored 23 points and made some key defensive plays and then Kobe started coming on late and we pulled close and if you want to be completely honest, when everyone else is sucking, this year it's always been either Metta or Kobe that took it upon themselves and started bailing us out. Kobe knows this.

When Dwight gets to the point where he takes initiative the same way then a lot of things will get better but Dwight isn't physically there yet but he will be.

But the fact of the matter is right now the only guy brave enough to put it on themself to get this team over a hump aside from Kobe Bryant, is Ron Artest. No one else on this team welcomes nor takes that kind of responsibility eventhough their role is larger than that of Artest's. And that is what Kobe absolutely loves. We're not going to replicate what Ron gives us in terms of intensity effort and willingness to have Kobe's back and take pressure off him during times when the team is in a hole and him and Kobe's intensity and aggression is unmatched by anyone else on this team.

If we're looking at issues we should look at the disappearing act of Antawn Jamison. Seriously, back to back 30+ point 12-15 rebound games and then... suddenly he's back to 3-8 points a game and maybe 2 rebounds and is no longer playing aggressively despite getting the same shots. HOW do you drop off that freaking fast?

Maybe his legs are tired cause his shot is constantly falling short but where is his aggression!

Edited by Majesty, December 14, 2012 - 03:38 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#17 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 05:50 PM

Farmer was much better.

whoa whoa whoa...farmar sucked

Pau Gasol is GONE

#18 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,079 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 14, 2012 - 07:15 PM

Kobe passed John Havlicek on the all time career FGs made tonight vs. the Wizards. Just another record for the Mamba.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#19 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted December 14, 2012 - 07:21 PM

whoa whoa whoa...farmar sucked

But Farmar brought energy. Yes he still sucks, but I'd rather have that.

#20 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 15, 2012 - 06:21 AM

But Farmar brought energy. Yes he still sucks, but I'd rather have that.

Jordan Farmar was an excellent back-up point guard. I'd take his 9 ppg, 37% 3pt FG and 1 TO anyday of the week. I wish Blake, Duhon and Morris could average such stats in 15-20 minutes a game.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users