Photo

Why don't people appreciate old school hip hop?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:16 PM

its not a debate about if wayne is talented or not, you don't get where he is w/o being talented. regardless of what you believe.

Talent in an art can be subjective and you can say he was talented at one point but now he's lost it, through out this thread youv talked about respecting ppl's opinions on music since you like both the current mainstream and old skoool but it seems like you have a hard time respecting the fact that some ppl think the current rappers you like suck. If I think a rapper [expletive]ing sucks then he sucks in my world and I can criticize him it's part of being a fan.

Edited by NYCLakerfan, December 20, 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#42 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Eminem

Posted December 19, 2012 - 11:19 PM

Talent in an art can be subjective and you cab say he was talented at one point but now he's lost it through out this thread youv talked about respecting ppl's opinions on music since you like both the current mainstream and old skoool but it seems like you have a hard time respecting the fact that some ppl think the current rappers you like suck. If I think a rapper [expletive]ing sucks then he sucks in my world and I can criticize him it's part of being a fan also.

Lol Wayne out rap anyone and it's "art" [expletive] man my boy Flocka and Keef is "art" too.
Posted Image

#43 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 08:03 AM

Lol Wayne out rap anyone and it's "art" [expletive] man my boy Flocka and Keef is "art" too.

Yea it's art but that doesn't mean it's still not trash to me

#44 foreveryoung

foreveryoung

Rookie

• 102 posts
  • Fan Since:Long Time

Posted December 20, 2012 - 10:55 AM

That's all I listen to!

Tech N9ne, Rakim, Big Pun, Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Eminem, Run-DMC, NWA, Common, Mos Def, etc.

Posted Image

#45 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 10:56 AM

That's all I listen to!

Tech N9ne, Rakim, Big Pun, Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Eminem, Run-DMC, NWA, Common, Mos Def, etc.

Lots of hipster stuff lol.
Posted Image

#46 foreveryoung

foreveryoung

Rookie

• 102 posts
  • Fan Since:Long Time

Posted December 20, 2012 - 11:01 AM

I have a feeling you don't like me.

Also, you're the type of f a g g o ts that love these Lil Wayne and Drake crap. :smh:

Posted Image

#47 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts

Posted December 20, 2012 - 11:17 AM

Nah hipsters only like the most obscure underground artist

#48 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 21, 2012 - 03:59 PM

i agree that you can think something sucks. i think lebron sucks as far as basketball skills. but you will not hear outta my mouth that lebron has no talent. that just makes me look stupid like most do when they throw that no talent stuff around.

#49 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 21, 2012 - 04:02 PM

and thats the point wade. its your opinion. holds no weight. i think for myself as well. i just try and let you see how dumb your stance on wayne is. who's POV should i think holds more weight nas and rakim( 2 of the greatest to pick up a mic) or hopsin and wade from the internet. LOL, you get my point im sure. i hope.

And your opinion holds weight because it is based upon the greater minds of Nas and Rakim? Yeah, that is everything wrong with this world right there.

I think you're incorrect in your definition of talent. Talent does not mean fame. You think Rebecca Black's "Friday" is talented? Money, bloodlines and inheritance can lead one to fame just as much as "talent", and I find poetic rap that does not simply rhyme four letters words to be TALENTED.

What one appreciates is subjective, but lyrically, I am always objective. Lil Wayne is not lyrically talented in comparison to 200 rappers I could name right now. End of story. The level of English composition and poetry has never been subjective.

Lil Wayne is a talented performer and he can sell records. I don't argue that. But you're kidding yourself if you think he is still selling records because of lyricism.

Edited by -Wade-, December 21, 2012 - 04:17 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#50 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 528 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted December 21, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I love old school hip hop! Tribe called quest, Afu-ra, mos def are among my favs

#51 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:12 AM

and i agree with you on most points wade. i know wayne doesn't focus on lyrism. that certainly doesn't mean he can't do it. and my point was not to say i like lil wayne because nas and rakim say he's good. and there are different levels of fame. snooki is famous. i know fame doesn't=talented. wayne is a worldwide icon. he sells out shows out of this country. you don't get to where wayne is w/o hard work and talent. you just don't. im not saying wayne is the most talented or the greatest, im saying give credit where credit is well deserved. i can name 200 players with more skill than lebron. does that mean he has no talent?

#52 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:23 AM

There are not 200 players with more skill than LeBron good god.
Posted Image

#53 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 22, 2012 - 10:33 AM

It really comes down to what you like. Old school has a different vibe to it and the content in it is actually about what hip hop was suppose to be, the life in the urban cities. The thing is not all people like to hear that, to them its just not interesting.

The new school is all about money and girls, something that most people want which makes sense since that is what the media puts on the kids today to do. On top of this new school rap about these things is much more sellable than the old school hence why the music world is flooded by artist and songs about these things.

Old school rap wasnt nearly as big or marketable as the new age is today. Things change because of money and new school is what sells to the masses. I dont think it is as much a change in the rap world as it is in the consumer fan base. In the old school days fans were more devote to the music and the meaning, but nowadays the average consumer couldnt give two [expletive]s about that throw in some fancy cars, money, and hoes and well you got yourself a music video of the year nomination. You have to realize that a lot of people that listen to rap today wouldnt have listened to it back in the early 90's. They only got into rap because of the new school since that is what appealed to them.

Its not that as many people dont appreciate the old school, its just a bunch of people that listen to rap now only got into it because of the new school style, and would of never liked the old school rap. There are just as many people that like old school as before, but just a lot more of average consumers that listen to rap now.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#54 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 22, 2012 - 11:43 AM

[expletive] [expletive]es get money

interesting

Posted Image

#55 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2012 - 01:07 PM

and i agree with you on most points wade. i know wayne doesn't focus on lyrism. that certainly doesn't mean he can't do it. and my point was not to say i like lil wayne because nas and rakim say he's good. and there are different levels of fame. snooki is famous. i know fame doesn't=talented. wayne is a worldwide icon. he sells out shows out of this country. you don't get to where wayne is w/o hard work and talent. you just don't. im not saying wayne is the most talented or the greatest, im saying give credit where credit is well deserved. i can name 200 players with more skill than lebron. does that mean he has no talent?

Well yes, I'm glad we have come to a compromise then. :) As stated, it does take talent in some aspect to be a world icon and sell out shows. It just irritates me that some people label him as the best, when he is far from it lyrically. Subjectively, to me, it's all about rhythm and poetry/consciousness. Thanks for your opinion, good insight.

Its not that as many people dont appreciate the old school, its just a bunch of people that listen to rap now only got into it because of the new school style, and would of never liked the old school rap. There are just as many people that like old school as before, but just a lot more of average consumers that listen to rap now.

That is a pretty good point. Kudos.

Edited by -Wade-, December 22, 2012 - 01:09 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#56 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,791 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 22, 2012 - 06:34 PM

the majority of people are content with what's being force fed to them. all the [expletive] getting attention on mass media because of sponsors and what not, all that is [expletive] to me. it might bang cuz the beats nice and all, but there's never any real substance, you listen to it once or twice and you're done. aside from that, u have to be drunk at a club to enjoy it, what does that say about the music? anything getting played on power 106 is a joke, "where hip hop lives..." smh. if people just took the time to delve deeper, there's a ton of amazing music waiting to be heard, and not just old school [expletive].

2div

#57 bonesmalone

bonesmalone

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Fan Since:showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hip Hop sucks today because most rappers have had things handed down to them.

#58 kobedoinwork

kobedoinwork

Rookie

• 753 posts
  • Name:Matthew
  • Fan Since:Born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Because geogre bush doesn't care about black people

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 11:23 AM

COME AT ME BRO.

:laughing:

yo.

#60 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:42 PM

http://youtu.be/C99iG4HoO1c

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users