Photo

Why don't people appreciate old school hip hop?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,376 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:55 AM

The GOAT Tunechi F baby ima o-riginal hot boy

That has to be one the most retarted things I've ever heard .. and you're not even trying to sound smart. Stop spamming the thread .. <_<

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Soul Smooth

#22 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:56 AM

no wade, it doesn't. music is nothing more than a form of expression for the artist and entertainment for the consumer. just like a movie can have the best script in the world, but with the wrong actors and director it will fail and be boring as f***. everybody won't put themselves through something boring just because the message behind it. i know i won't. h***, im listenin to illmatic as we speak. after that carter 2.

#23 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 11:58 AM

COME AT ME BRO.

#24 FLOCKA

FLOCKA

COOK LIKE KOBE BRYANT

• 2,740 posts
  • Fan Since:Nah
  • Fav. Laker:Kobun

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:02 PM

problem is people who equate new hip-hop to YMCMB. There's such a wide variety of rap music available these days thanks to the internet, and there's plenty of new rappers with lyrical talent that share the same values as old-school rappers do. Kendrick Lamer being the perfect example

Edited by FLOCKA, December 14, 2012 - 12:02 PM.

R.I.P. Zyzz 1989-2011

#25 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:18 PM

their are rappers who are the best of both worlds. while i must admit that wayne has completely did a 180 just for money(sold out) drake is the best of both worlds in hip hop IMO. lyrical, as well as he can make a catchy tune. i can see why most hip hop heads dislike wayne, but drake? i don't get it. is it because he actually does try to make money via mainstream music? these guys have the ability to be lyrical, they just prefer to actually make money. can't blame em to be honest. its not like you guys buy any of your favorites music, who in their right mind wants to cater to an audience that doesn't even support your music(unless your count words).

#26 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,083 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:28 PM

no wade, it doesn't.

What does not? Use the quote feature, I have no clue as to what issue you are debating, I made multiple claims. I can only assume you are referring to:

Idk about everyone else, but I only vibe with a lyricist's lyrics... not their actions (though, I cross reference spoken lyric with their actions). Rakim can do and say what he wants about Wayne. I can like Rakim, and Rakim can think what he wants about Wayne, but I am independent from Rakim, and have critical thought and opinion of Lil Wayne. Who knows, maybe Rakim is just avoiding confrontation atm.....

So again, what does not? My point was, if you are a fan of someone's music, that does not mean you are supposed to be a sheep and agree with all of their actions and statements. I like Rakim's music, but I do not agree with his statements of Lil Wayne. We'll agree to disagree on rather or not Lil Wayne is talented or not..... but that was far from my point.

In regard to music "being more than just taste and preference"... it is. It affects consciousness. I'm actually slowly but surely writing a proof on this.

Edited by -Wade-, December 14, 2012 - 12:29 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#27 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Eminem

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:29 PM

Paris & FLOCKO know what I b. I've had this argument 100 times here.

I hope you ppl that love PAC & Kendrick (like me) realize they more fake than any rapper in history including Rick Ross though.
Posted Image

#28 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:32 PM

no wade, it doesn't. music is nothing more than a form of exp<b></b>ression for the artist and entertainment for the consumer. just like a movie can have the best script in the world, but with the wrong actors and director it will fail and be boring as f***. everybody won't put themselves through something boring just because the message behind it. i know i won't. h***, im listenin to illmatic as we speak. after that carter 2.

Carter II that classic. Carter III Sessions the best music to ever drop though.
Posted Image

#29 FLOCKA

FLOCKA

COOK LIKE KOBE BRYANT

• 2,740 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Paris & FLOCKO know what I b. I've had this argument 100 times here.

I hope you ppl that love PAC & Kendrick (like me) realize they more fake than any rapper in history including Rick Ross though.

how is kendrick lamar fake?
R.I.P. Zyzz 1989-2011

#30 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,083 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:33 PM

Paris & FLOCKO know what I b.

Human, I hope.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#31 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:48 PM

its not a debate about if wayne is talented or not, you don't get where he is w/o being talented. regardless of what you believe.

#32 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:48 PM

how is kendrick lamar fake?

With his whole good kid in a mad city. He's nothing like that.. He just using it to sell records honestly.
Posted Image

#33 FLOCKA

FLOCKA

COOK LIKE KOBE BRYANT

• 2,740 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:50 PM

truth be told it takes an extreme amount of talent to write catchy hit records on a consistent basis, whether or not they happen to be lyrical.
R.I.P. Zyzz 1989-2011

#34 FLOCKA

FLOCKA

COOK LIKE KOBE BRYANT

• 2,740 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:54 PM

With his whole good kid in a mad city. He's nothing like that.. He just using it to sell records honestly.

It was a concept album that told a story, just cause he added certain elements to the story that might not have actually happened to him doesn't make him a fraud.. a lot of the album seemed inspired by Boyz N the Hood.
R.I.P. Zyzz 1989-2011

#35 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:54 PM

and thats the point wade. its your opinion. holds no weight. i think for myself as well. i just try and let you see how dumb your stance on wayne is. who's POV should i think holds more weight nas and rakim( 2 of the greatest to pick up a mic) or hopsin and wade from the internet. LOL, you get my point im sure. i hope.

#36 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 12:57 PM

It was a concept album that told a story, just cause he added certain elements to the story that might not have actually happened to him doesn't make him a fraud.. a lot of the album seemed inspired by Boyz N the Hood.

But he's claiming he stopped smoking weed. He still smokes all the time and everything. He just is using that to sell records.
Posted Image

#37 FLOCKA

FLOCKA

COOK LIKE KOBE BRYANT

• 2,740 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 01:00 PM

But he's claiming he stopped smoking weed. He still smokes all the time and everything. He just is using that to sell records.

he still made plenty of weed references throughout the album on songs like The Recipe.. you're looking too far into it. How does claiming to not smoke weed help him sell records anyways that doesn't even make sense lol
R.I.P. Zyzz 1989-2011

#38 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 01:03 PM

i rocks with kendrick. lupe too. i just don't get this no talent thing people on the net like to use ever so often. if you don't like certain thats one thing. but to act as your opinion is law and he who disagrees is dumb, makes you look dumb.

#39 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts

Posted December 14, 2012 - 01:05 PM

he still made plenty of weed references throughout the album on songs like The Recipe.. you're looking too far into it. How does claiming to not smoke weed help him sell records anyways that doesn't even make sense lol

Because he's claiming that to help him with the image he's trying to portray. But he is nothing different than anyone else from the hood. Good idea for the album though a lot of white girls loving K-Dot now.
Posted Image

#40 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted December 19, 2012 - 10:07 PM

U trying to sound smart but this may be the most retarded thing I've ever read belee dat

I actually think that was a good observation.

But l said this before mainstream or commercial music not just hip hop is at it's all time worse imo but underground/indie music has never been better since so much more ppl can create their own music and share it thanks to the internet.

As for mainstream rap it's pitiful imo for the most part there's no substance, true personality, intellect, or originality. These are all things old skool rap had a lot of more of than the current rap, and I'm not even saying we shouldn't have any of this mindless materialistic bragging raps the problem is that this type of music is the only thing thats played. If it was just a small percentage of rap then I think the genre would be fine with some party songs, some conscious, some political, personal, love, bragging, etc just some variety.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users