143 replies to this topic

#101 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 10:24 AM

Tentpoles are tough in today's climate of sequels and remakes

Doesn't help that WB marketed this horribly

Edited by last stand 2.0, July 30, 2013 - 10:25 AM.

Posted Image

• 40,556 posts

Posted July 30, 2013 - 01:20 PM

That's what we have NASCAR, monster trucks, and fast food for.. [expletive] yeah...

Fast food's pretty universal, but the other two are rather close to exclusive to just one demographic in this country (the biggest one of course, but still).

yo.

#103 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,167 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:18 AM

No Sequel :(

Edited by Mr Terrific, July 31, 2013 - 09:19 AM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#104 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Ron Artest, Magic

Posted July 31, 2013 - 12:34 PM

People have been doubting it's sale since it has came out and its been doing much better than anticipated,  lets just wait and see when its finally done before we say anything,  if nothing official has been said then its all speculation.  As of now we are awaiting all foreign sales.... 

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

#105 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,226 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 04:04 PM

‘Pacific Rim’ $9M Opening In China Biggest Ever For Warner Bros: Sequel Likely

EXCLUSIVE: I’ve just learned that momentum is building for a Pacific Rim based on the international box office for the Legendary Pictures/Warner Bros summer tentpole.The latest development is the 3D sci-fi actioner’s Wednesday opening in China to a record-breaking $9M. That’s a new high for any Warner Bros release and 23% bigger than for any Harry Potter film. Pacific Rim grossed a huge 70% of market share there. This is after the pic broke through to become the #1 film internationally on July 19-21 as it rolled out into less than half the global territories. Besides China, Pacific Rim today released in Spain and Japan, and August 9th in Brazil. The result is that screenwriter Travis Beacham (who had the idea for the film) and co-scribe/director Guillermo Del Toro’s film based on Legendary’s homegrown comic book will likely have a sequel. No one is yet saying this movie is going to turn a profit due to the high cost of its Industrial Light & Magic CGI which sent the budget to $180M-$220M. Unfortunately, U.S. theatrical sales are not expected to exceed $100M all in so overseas coin was crucial. But international was always a big part of Pacific Rim‘s strategy in a crowded summer marketplace. After Sunday the pic’s foreign cume is $140M from 52 territories and its worldwide total is $224M. As I’ve said before, Legendary’s mega-financier Thomas Tull has the luxury of mining this marginal outcome into a franchise. Warner Bros underwrote 25% of the film and receives the global distribution fees.

hR3rI.png

#106 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,032 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 31, 2013 - 06:18 PM

And where did Transformers originate?

I'm just saying that this type of [expletive] isn't as big a cultural staple here in America as it is in Asia

That's what we have NASCAR, monster trucks, and fast food for.. [expletive] yeah...

American-Patriot-1024x768.jpg

America.

It was actually a toy made by a get together of Hasbro and Takara Tomy. 

It's actually technically an American toy and they just used ideas from the japanese Microman toys

Officially transformers was started by Hasbro which was an American toy company.

So to answer your question, Transformers started in America.

Whoops ;)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#107 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts

Posted July 31, 2013 - 09:14 PM

Like I said already we will get our sequel.

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

#108 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,851 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted July 31, 2013 - 11:47 PM

America.

It was actually a toy made by a get together of Hasbro and Takara Tomy.

It's actually technically an American toy and they just used ideas from the japanese Microman toys

Officially transformers was started by Hasbro which was an American toy company.

So to answer your question, Transformers started in America.

Whoops ;)

Well played, but it doesn't change the point I'm pushing that giant robots aren't as big a deal here then in places like Japan

I'm talking building giant gundams and making annual festivals out of them big deal

gundam-rx-78-life-sized-statue-night-vie

2div

#109 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 12:55 AM

transformers was not popular because it was about robots. it was popular because of 4 reasons

1) shia labeouf was a HUGE rising star at the time. people forget but this guy was basically the "it" guy in 2007

2) Michael Bay was actually somebody people liked at the time. movies like bad boys, Armageddon, The rock while not critically acclaimed movies they were hits with audiences

3) steven spielberg attached his name to it adding more obvious interest

4) transformers was a previous property, something that was around and popular since the 1980s. toys, tv shows all made the property extremely well known.

those are 4 things pacific rim didn't have going for it. those are huge audience draws. 

Posted Image

#110 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,937 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 01, 2013 - 07:25 AM

Well played, but it doesn't change the point I'm pushing that giant robots aren't as big a deal here then in places like Japan

I'm talking building giant gundams and making annual festivals out of them big deal

gundam-rx-78-life-sized-statue-night-vie

Now if they made a gundam movie, damnnnn I would see that day one.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#111 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts

Posted August 01, 2013 - 03:14 PM

"The movie business is changing around us. Once upon a time foreign money was a secondary thought, or more important to the business plans of DTV action filmmakers, who presold movies overseas based on the names of actors who were often a joke in the United States. But in the last couple of years Hollywood's fiscal focus has moved off our own shores, and more and more movies are being engineered to appeal to a non-American audience. This is a little disorienting to longtime watchers of the business and, I think, deeply detrimental to the movies in general. It leads to films that are designed to be consumed on a very visceral, non-intellectual level, as moviemakers don't want to worry about getting ideas and themes translated. It's easier to just pack in explosions, which speak to audiences in every language.

We saw this shift earlier this year with Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters. The movie limped to $55m in the US, but it soared with $170m in international box office. A movie that would have been a dud under the old system is now getting a sequel. And it could be happening again with Pacific Rim; the latest movie from Guillermo del Toro may not break $100m domestic, but it's been doing well overseas. And this week it blew the doors off the Chinese box office, cementing it as a global hit.

That means Warner Bros is now very, very seriously considering making a Pacific Rim 2. That's a victory for those who think that Pacific Rim is the sort of blockbuster that should be embraced by audiences (and anecdotally I've seen it being very embraced by the minority who have gone to see it) and who want to see more of the world that del Toro and Travis Beacham created. And hell, once the movie comes out on home video Pacific Rim might even be a thing in these United States."

It's a strange new world at the box office, and it's changing the way movies are made and sold. Pacific Rim is just one of the harbingers of the future. What will the movies look like when the United States is just a minor territory, barely taken into account by the suits at the studios?"

Edited by The Hound, August 02, 2013 - 01:16 AM.

#112 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,849 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 04, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Pacific rim right now is at $293 Mill world wide. So it has a 100 mill profit. Also its holding top movie for foreign countries.

http://variety.com/2...mil-1200573849/

If [expletive]ing smurfs can get a sequel this better. 

#113 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 02:14 AM

Domestic: $92,961,000 31.7%
+ Foreign: $200,400,000 68.3%

= Worldwide: $293,361,000

Warner Bros is salivating at it's international sales right now.  They've never accomplished such a thing before,  can't wait for Pacific Rim 2.........Gypsy 2.0 Kaiju Style :cool2: .

#114 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 02:20 AM

WB has had plenty of movies do better over seas. i still think 300 million is the bare minimum for a sequel. 

Posted Image

#115 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts

Posted August 05, 2013 - 03:10 AM

Pacific rim broke records for them, and it's still not released in Japan I think, plus all the extra sales from dvds, etc it's in the bag.

#116 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted August 05, 2013 - 05:08 AM

I'm pumped up about this movie and I really want to watch it. Probably over the weekends

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#117 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts

Posted August 07, 2013 - 04:19 AM

I'm pumped up about this movie and I really want to watch it. Probably over the weekends

better go soon Imax 3D is not out as much anymore.

#118 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted August 08, 2013 - 10:15 AM

Still have to go see this with wifey, hopefully this weekend or next.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#119 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts

Posted August 08, 2013 - 11:32 AM

In my area it stops playing today :-(

Edited by The Hound, August 08, 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#120 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts

Posted August 18, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Domestic: $98,401,000 25.6%

+ Foreign: $286,000,000 74.4%

= Worldwide: $384,401,000

Almost at the 400 mark,

but check this out

China $100,100,000

CHINA..... THANK YOU!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users