#1 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:13 AM

http://insider.espn....pau-gasol-trade

If Paul Millsap isn't trying to audition for a Hollywood role, he sure does look the part.

We've heard all sorts of names connected to the Lakers in possible trade talks for Pau Gasol, including Toronto Raptors 7-footer Andrea Bargnani, Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith, Denver Nuggets forward Danilo Gallinari, Minnesota Timberwolves forward Derrick Williams and Milwaukee Bucks forward Ersan Ilyasova.

But one name that should pop up more is Millsap, the Utah Jazz big man. There are a few reasons Millsap probably doesn't garner the attention of a player his caliber: 1) He plays in a small market; 2) he's stuck in a logjam of big men in Utah with varying degrees of upside and productivity; and 3) he doesn't have a flashy game (he dunks about once every three games).

However, Millsap makes a lot of sense as a trade target for the madly inconsistent Lakers. For one, he's healthy, which is no small thing considering the Lakers' bench looks increasingly like a hospital waiting room (and Bargnani just went down with an elbow injury). Secondly, Millsap's an efficient player who plays both ends of the floor. Here's a short list of players who have shot more than 50 percent from the floor while tallying at least 2,500 points, 1,000 rebounds and 200 steals over the past three seasons: LeBron James, Dwight Howard and, yep, Millsap.

Here's a look at the positive and negative aspects of Millsap's potential move to the Lakers -- as well as a blockbuster three-team deal that would likely work for all clubs involved.

Millsap's candidacy

What's more, Millsap's contract couldn't be more attractive in trade talks with the Lakers. Millsap makes only $8 million this season and his contract expires at season's end, which is hugely important for a Lakers franchise that has made it known they want to stay flexible for a loaded free-agent class in the summer of 2014 when Kobe Bryant, LeBron James,Carmelo Anthony and other stars can become free agents.

In Millsap, the Lakers could get a trial period on an All-Star-caliber player and decide if they want to keep him long term. The same can't be said for Gallinari, Bargnani or Ilyasova, all of whom are currently locked in multiyear deals that extend past 2014. If Millsap doesn't work out, the Lakers can cut bait and look elsewhere. (And good luck trying to trade Ilyasova and the $24 million remaining on his contract through 2016-17 if Mike D'Antoni can't fix his jumper.)

Defensively, Millsap can cure many of the Lakers' ills. As Antawn Jamison continues to play possum on that end of the floor, the Lakers desperately need a help defender who doesn't leave Howard out to dry every time down the court. Millsap isn't an all-world defender, but with mobility at 6-foot-8, he can hold his own as a small forward defender and has the girth to play in the paint. What separates Millsap from most power forwards is his nose for the ball; he ranked fourth in the NBA last season in steals per game, thanks in part to his freakishly long arms.

But the real reason Millsap provides an intriguing option for the Lakers is his blossoming 3-point game. If a big man wants to make bank in this league, there's no better way than to become a reliable 3-point shooter. And in a contract season, Millsap is trying to do just that. After essentially ignoring the 3-point shot for most of his career, the Louisiana Tech product is now taking about one 3-pointer per game and nailing them at a 47.8 percent clip. Not a bad start.

It's too early to tell whether Millsap's 3-point shot is legitimate, but he's always been a strong candidate to stretch beyond the arc simply because he's already armed with a good midrange jumper. The Lakers aren't going to be able to lure a Kevin Love-type stretch 4 with Gasol's trade value in free fall, so finding a 3-point shooter who's waiting to break out may be their best option. Millsap fits the mold.

The hitch

But here's the problem with a potential deal with the Lakers: The last thing the Jazz need is another center. Millsap could be expendable for the Jazz because they already have a blooming power forward in Derrick Favors waiting in the wings, but the Jazz are overweight at the 5 as is with Enes Kanter and Al Jefferson fighting for big-time minutes. At Gasol's price of $38 million over the next two seasons, the Jazz would likely scoff at any phone call from Mitch Kupchak about a trade scenario.

But what if Kupchak brings a third team into the mix? The Jazz are ripe for a blockbuster deal because they are absolutely stacked with talent in their frontcourt. They boast a near-All-Star player in Millsap, one of the best post scorers in Jefferson, one of the best young defenders in Favors and an utterly tantalizing prospect in Kanter. Ever since the Jazz picked Kanter in 2011, folks around the league have been wondering when they'll pull the trigger to get some backcourt help.

One possible trade partner to watch? The Charlotte Bobcats. After a fun start to the season, the Bobcats have a painfully lopsided roster with an intriguing, if overachieving, backcourt, and an absolutely anemic frontcourt. In this sense, the Bobcats are the anti-Jazz. Sounds like a match made in Trade Machine heaven.

The deal

Here's the framework of a deal (Note: Players are paired with the years left on their contracts and 2012-13 salary):

Lakers receive: Millsap (1, $8M) Mo Williams (1, $8.5M), DeSagana Diop (1, $7.4M), Raja Bell (1, $3.5M)

Jazz receive: Gasol (2, $19M), Kemba Walker (3, $2.5M), Ben Gordon (2, $12.4M), Earl Clark (1, $1.2M)

Bobcats receive: Jefferson (1, $15M), Kanter (3, $4.5M), Chris Duhon (2, $3.5M), Darius Johnson-Odom (1, $0.5M)

You can see why the Bobcats might be interested. Charlotte would land two paint scorers, one for now and one for later. Jefferson fits perfectly as a scorer next to defensive-inclinedBismack Biyombo, and the Bobcats would receive a fascinating big-man prospect in Kanter, a 20-year-old who's averaging 15 points and nine rebounds every 36 minutes on 53 percent shooting. Even better, they finally get to unload Diop's contract.

If the Bobcats end up having to dangle the sizzling but undersized Walker to find frontcourt help, they could do much worse than Ramon Sessions. Sessions may be struggling with his shot, but as a 26-year-old with an 18 player efficiency rating, he can be a healthy stopgap at the 1 while Kanter and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist develop. And hey, Duhon could at least put a few more Duke fans in the seats.

The Lakers would get what they need: a borderline All-Star power forward who can stretch the floor and a point guard (Mo Williams) to steer the offense until Steve Nash takes the wheel. The most appetizing part of this deal is the lack of long-term commitment. All four of the players in this deal have contracts that expire at the end of the season.

And the Jazz? They would finally land a young stud point guard to fill the void left long ago by Deron Williams. Not only that, they finally clear room for Favors to blossom into a franchise centerpiece. In the short term, it works as well. Though a Walker, Gordon, Marvin Williams, Favors and Gasol lineup isn't a lock for the playoffs, neither is the status quo.

Whether this deal would work out for Utah all depends on Gasol's health, though it's worth remembering that cap space is somewhat overrated in a small market like Utah. If Millsap, Jefferson and Williams leave this summer and take their talents to bigger markets, no one's itching to sign on the dotted line to play in Salt Lake. Instead, they could leverage their expiring deals to reel in All-Star talent for the foreseeable future. Gasol and Walker (potentially) give them that.

This is just one of a gazillion potential deals that could go down between now and the trade deadline. But if you're unfamiliar with Millsap's talents now, you won't be if he's soon starring in Los Angeles.

I dont think the Jazz do it anyways but posted anyways.
Laker fan for life.

#2 KjaX24

KjaX24

KjaX24

• 305 posts
  • Name:keith jackson
  • Fan Since:a wee little lad
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:17 AM

There is no way Jazz would ever do this. In the words of ' The League ' " trade rape " .

#3 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:30 AM

Jazz are

There is no way Jazz would ever do this. In the words of ' The League ' " trade rape " .

Not really. They're bound to lose either Al or Paul, or BOTH anyways. Not to mention, they still have the Kanter and Favors

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#4 SuPeRmAoR

SuPeRmAoR

TLN's ballerist

• 2,476 posts
  • Name:Maor
  • Fan Since:4 years old
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:32 AM

why the hell would any of these teams do this? And no way charlotte trades kemba walker

jpg2mw.jpg

"Dante Exum will be an NBA All Star by the 2018 NBA Season" - Supermaor23 3/10/14

#5 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,626 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 11:37 AM

Mo Williams already said he hated his role on the Clippers, so now all of a sudden he's going to like being our backup PG when Nash gets back?

I would love to have Millsap on our team, I just don't see it happening this way if it were to ever come about.

#6 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,213 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:09 PM

don't understand why the bobcats would give up on kemba so fast. that's the most confusing part of that trade idea.

especially when he's made improvements from last season and has shown that he's a tireless worker. guy is a future all star, i wouldn't trade him for kanter and jefferson lol
Posted Image

#7 KB_24

KB_24

Sixth Man

• 3,372 posts
  • Fav. Laker:number 24

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:15 PM

stop overrate millsap please he is not so great... gasol is much skilled...
My blood runs purple and gold...

Posted Image

#8 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,213 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:18 PM

lol we'd be lucky to have millsap. he'd transform this team and season.
Posted Image

#9 KB_24

KB_24

Sixth Man

• 3,372 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:21 PM

lol we'd be lucky to have millsap. he'd transform this team and season.

he is good only coz he plays in a crappy team* and is an important offensive option in this team (*which beat us i know...)

Posted Image

#10 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,213 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:24 PM

no he's good because he has range to the 3 point line, is a pick and roll stud, plays very good defense, is a solid passer, and goes 120% every play.

having him and dwight in the front court makes us unstoppable offensively and defensively. i would take millsap 10/10 times over the current pau

Edited by last stand 2.0, December 12, 2012 - 12:24 PM.

Posted Image

#11 KB_24

KB_24

Sixth Man

• 3,372 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:28 PM

no he's good because he has range to the 3 point line, is a pick and roll stud, plays very good defense, is a solid passer, and goes 120% every play.

having him and dwight in the front court makes us unstoppable offensively and defensively. i would take millsap 10/10 times over the current pau

We all know its not REAL Pau level... Imo, he will come back to his best level... Moreover, u cant ask Pau only making jumpshots!! He is not this type of player!

Posted Image

#12 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:34 PM

stop overrate millsap please he is not so great... gasol is much skilled...

you've lost your mind

no one said he's a great player but he's a VERY solid player and he's immensely superior to Pau Gasol

Edited by Windu, December 12, 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#13 KB_24

KB_24

Sixth Man

• 3,372 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:39 PM

you've lost your mind

no one said he's a great player but he's a VERY solid player and he's immensely superior to Pau Gasol

windu who is slamming gasol?? what a surprise :laughing: Seriously, i know current Pau level is really low but all lakers have already forgotten his real level?? i mean he is a top player... Of course if he is again crap in PO(if we go to lol) ill reconsider my position

Posted Image

#14 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:44 PM

However slightly unrealistic this is the first Gasol trade suggestion I'd consider.

The Lakers would be much improved - much improved.

But there are some questionable elements of that deal from other teams' prespectives.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,112 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:45 PM

windu who is slamming gasol?? what a surprise :laughing: Seriously, i know current Pau level is really low but all lakers have already forgotten his real level?? i mean he is a top player... Of course if he is again crap in PO(if we go to lol) ill reconsider my position

It's been low for years. I hate when people act like is all something new for Pau Gasol...as if this is his first year of playing like [expletive]. What you saw from Pau when he first got here disappeared a long time ago. Most people keep hoping he regains that form but he's had more than enough time to do just that and he's failed miserably. Is this some kind of "3 strikes you're out" mentality?

Edited by Windu, December 12, 2012 - 12:45 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 KB_24

KB_24

Sixth Man

• 3,372 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:49 PM

lets observ how he will play when he'll come back from injury...

Posted Image

#17 fido

fido

• 11,287 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 12:49 PM

I would be completely stunned if the Jazz and Bobcats agreed to anything close to this deal.

Getting a quality backup PG, another defensive wing behind Metta and a backup big behind Howard all for Gasol and scraps? I love Pau but you'd have to pull the trigger on that.

Also gives you a tiny, tiny bit of cap maneuverability in the near future.

#18 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 12, 2012 - 01:01 PM

I really want a young wing player for the Lakers, but Millsap is better than any single player I think the Lakers could get for Pau. Paul Millsap and Mo Williams is an awfully good haul for Pau at this point. I think would do it, but I doubt the other 2 teams involved would.

Posted Image

#19 Listen2TheBeatt

Listen2TheBeatt

6th Man

• 691 posts
  • Name:Colin
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted December 12, 2012 - 01:07 PM

That trade is amazing for us, and only us.
Videographer for LakerNation.com & STNTV
Follow me on Twitter @Listen2TheBeatt

#20 fido

fido

• 11,287 posts

Posted December 12, 2012 - 01:09 PM

Yeah basically the Jazz trading Millsap and Jefferson for Kemba Walker?

Crazy unlikely to ever happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users