2518 replies to this topic

#121 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,443 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:19 AM

How am I not authentic? If anything I'm just an objective fan and its hard for delusional Laker fans to stomach.  Im a Laker fan for life but Im not going to be some crazed delusional fan that thinks Kobe is the best player in the league, Jim buss is all bad and Mitch is all great and Phil is just going to walk through that door any day type of fan. 

Some of our fans make some of the most off base illogical arguments it has to be challenged from time to time.  Just like the statement he just made that we can get a player of Lebron's caliber just b/c its LA.  Being in LA doesnt guarantee that especially with the new CBA.  Paul George isnt coming to LA unless Indy decides he isnt worth whatever offer he gets.  You really want Melo on a max contract at 30?  I wouldnt even want Melo at 25 on max deal.  Restricted FA like Paul George or Kyrie Irving arent coming to LA until after their next deals.  Thats at least 5 years from now. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#122 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,443 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:26 AM

It's not a question if LA can actually get players its a question if those high caliber guys are available or do their current situations compete with them starting over in Lakerland.  Right now no one can offer Lebron a better situation than Pat Riley.  Starting over in LA would be just like starting over in Miami except he has to leave and trust a new group that in recent years hasnt been as good.  LA will always be able to get stars b/c its LA.  Mitch and Jim havent shown they can make good decisions w/o Phil's input. 

You guys like to criticize the FO but when someone points out that could actually be the doom of the org for a few years you want to call them out for not being authentic. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#123 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,401 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted June 13, 2013 - 09:30 AM

How am I not authentic? If anything I'm just an objective fan and its hard for delusional Laker fans to stomach.  Im a Laker fan for life but Im not going to be some crazed delusional fan that thinks Kobe is the best player in the league, Jim buss is all bad and Mitch is all great and Phil is just going to walk through that door any day type of fan. 

Some of our fans make some of the most off base illogical arguments it has to be challenged from time to time.  Just like the statement he just made that we can get a player of Lebron's caliber just b/c its LA.  Being in LA doesnt guarantee that especially with the new CBA.  Paul George isnt coming to LA unless Indy decides he isnt worth whatever offer he gets.  You really want Melo on a max contract at 30?  I wouldnt even want Melo at 25 on max deal.  Restricted FA like Paul George or Kyrie Irving arent coming to LA until after their next deals.  Thats at least 5 years from now. 

You are though because you don't mind MDA staying the coach. Thats delusional.

#124 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,314 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:02 AM

It's not a question if LA can actually get players its a question if those high caliber guys are available or do their current situations compete with them starting over in Lakerland.  Right now no one can offer Lebron a better situation than Pat Riley.  Starting over in LA would be just like starting over in Miami except he has to leave and trust a new group that in recent years hasnt been as good.  LA will always be able to get stars b/c its LA.  Mitch and Jim havent shown they can make good decisions w/o Phil's input. 

You guys like to criticize the FO but when someone points out that could actually be the doom of the org for a few years you want to call them out for not being authentic. 

You're talking nonsense. 

First of all, for Lebron James the best situation following this season is probably not Miami. They're very limited in what they can do and two of their "top 3" who are taking up half of their payroll, which btw are over the tax-limit, are either looking very old (Wade) or doesn't really get utilized to his full potential (Bosh). Just one example of a good place for LBJ: Cleveland. They have Kyrie Irving and this year's first pick, they have a solid post-defender in Varejao, a couple of young promising players in Dion Waiters and Tristan Thompson, they may have a high pick next season and they'll have about 40 million in cap space in the summer of 2014. If that's not a good starting point i dont know what is.

Secondly, i'm well aware that we may not get LBJ. Hell, we may not even keep Dwight. But that doesn't change the fact that when nba players are looking at places to play, Los Angeles is often at the top of their list. This goes for the superstars as well and next season when LBJ can opt for Free Agency i think he'll chose between staying in Miami, going back to Cleveland or going to a major market, like LA or Chicago or NY, that has the pieces that complement his skillset the most. He is not [expletive]ing going to Sacramento regardless of how many stars they have. 

Finally, i do think Jim Buss is an awesome owner, but i dont understand the moves that are being made right now. I also belive Mitch should have been blamed a bit more for his inability to get sufficient bench depth these past seasons and finally: i dont think Kobe is the best player in the leagure right now - he can barely walk you know...

#125 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,443 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Never said I liked Dantoni my whole point is that you guys have no one out there to replace him that guarantees more success outside of maybe Phil.  I keep hearing names like Adelman and Karl.  Those are 2 coaches that havent coached championship teams and pretty much have nothing to stand on outside of a longer tenure as NBA coaches than D'Antoni. 

If you guys watched games he made adjustments for the team that helped them got 28-12.  Granted he could have handled Kobe better but at the time Nash goes down again what other options did they have?  Duhon was definitely not someone we needed on the floor again and the front office didnt want to bring in another PG.  If remember Delonte West was available and could have helped alot.

You are though because you don't mind MDA staying the coach. Thats delusional.

#126 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,401 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Never said I liked Dantoni my whole point is that you guys have no one out there to replace him that guarantees more success outside of maybe Phil.  I keep hearing names like Adelman and Karl.  Those are 2 coaches that havent coached championship teams and pretty much have nothing to stand on outside of a longer tenure as NBA coaches than D'Antoni. 

If you guys watched games he made adjustments for the team that helped them got 28-12.  Granted he could have handled Kobe better but at the time Nash goes down again what other options did they have?  Duhon was definitely not someone we needed on the floor again and the front office didnt want to bring in another PG.  If remember Delonte West was available and could have helped alot.

Karl coached a championship team.......

Theres loads of options better than MDA

Phil Jackson

Brian Shaw

George Karl 

Lionel Hollins

Doc Rivers

Jeff Van Gundy

Jerry Sloan

I would take all these over MDA.

We went 28-12 because of Kobe. Kobe was playing out of his mind and pretty much said [expletive] MDA's plan, get it inside.

Edited by LakeShow805, June 13, 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#127 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,268 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 12:00 PM

I would love Lionel Hollins

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#128 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:22 PM

Phil Jackson

Brian Shaw

George Karl 

Lionel Hollins

Doc Rivers

Jeff Van Gundy

Jerry Sloan

We went 28-12 because of Kobe. Kobe was playing out of his mind and pretty much said [expletive] MDA's plan, get it inside.

Phil is not available-Please STOP

Brian Shaw may be the worst of all Phil's proteges...We don't KNOW. He hasn't had the time to show his stuff and THEN have the league ADJUST

George Karl? He is a beta version of D'Antoni. No way in hell he's a better option. What is he going to tell this team, other than run?

Lionel Hollins is a good coach, but what has he done that MDA hasn't? He had the DPOy, the best perimeter defender in the West(Allen), a Top 3 PF, a good young point guard and some decent pieces and San Antonio SWEPT them just  like the Kobe-less Lakers. thats doesn't impress me.

Doc Rivers coached a team that lost 18 or more in a row. He ONLY won when he had the FAr and AWAY best team in the league.

JVG is done and has been done. He was Mike Brown, nothing extraordinary.

Jerry Sloan might be a little too old/disciplinarian to coach Kobe,Nash and these other vets, THIS far along in their careers.

Same with Larry Brown. The perception of coaches from afar, but grass is not always GREENER.

#129 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,443 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:24 PM

His team didnt win, and what evidence is there that Brian Shaw is a better option? Hell, Jason Kidd just got a job over him.  That says a lot.  Phil is not an option, Doc Rivers (stop dreaming), JVG (hasnt expressed any interest in coaching again), so that leaves Jerry Sloan and Lionel Hollins.  How has Hollins proved he is a better coach?  Phx had a dream team back from 05-08.  Just didnt win.  Hollins had a great team with Memphis.  His team got swept.  Not saying MDA is better or worse but there isnt any evidence that Hollins or Shaw are better options.  Sloan coached one type of team for the majority of his career.  Explain to me where is the evidence that  HE would conform to this roster?  Phil is the only coach I feel that can actually do the job but fans just need to let that go.

Phil Jackson

Brian Shaw

George Karl 

Lionel Hollins

Doc Rivers

Jeff Van Gundy

Jerry Sloan

#130 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:27 PM

Dr. J was NOT a LAKER, Jordan was not a Laker, and LEBRON will not be a Laker. And I'm not sad about that.

i would have taken LeBron straight from the Cavs, but he has been exposed even more.

leBron is a whining superstar with better tangibles than intangibles.

Great talent, most effective player in the world, when he plays with high energuy, but I don't want him at the point he'll be in his career.

It would be as bad as the year after the Decision, media-wise.

Dwight Howard came off BACK surgery, Nash broke his leg the second game, we lost all 3 of our NBA big men at one point and media still wanted to push

Kobe's shots

Dwight-Kobe chemistry

coaching

Just ANYTHING except our MAJOR injuries to our starters and MAIN back-ups, on a TOP HEAVY team.

LMAO. The crazy part is the fans' emotional and non-sensical reactions.

If Kobe was the reason we went 28-12, WHY couldn't he start the season like that?

Or is it because as Dwight got to be healthier(averaged 15-16 rebounds after All_Star break)?

#131 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,443 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thank you for objectivity and common sense sir.

Dr. J was NOT a LAKER, Jordan was not a Laker, and LEBRON will not be a Laker. And I'm not sad about that.

i would have taken LeBron straight from the Cavs, but he has been exposed even more.

Great talent, most effective player in the world, when he plays with high energuy, but I don't want him at the point he'll be in his career.

Dwight Howard came off BACK surgery, Nash broke his leg the second game, we lost all 3 of our NBA big men at one point and media still wanted to push

Kobe's shots

Dwight-Kobe chemistry

coaching

Just ANYTHING except our MAJOR injuries to our starters and MAIN back-ups, on a TOP HEAVY team.

If Kobe was the reason we went 28-12, WHY couldn't he start the season like that?

Or is it because as Dwight got to be healthier(averaged 15-16 rebounds after All_Star break)?

#132 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,268 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 01:56 PM

You are underselling Hollins...He took a 15win team to 56 wins. With less talent that MDA ever had. 

D'Antoni is a product of Nash. His time in New York could have told you that.

Edited by Chad, June 13, 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#133 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,268 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:11 PM

Kobe's shots

Dwight-Kobe chemistry

coaching

Of course you wouldn't be sad, but don't act like you wouldn't be happy.

What do you mean "point in career" it would be the next season after the one coming up. He just won the MVP this year, so I must be missing the great cliff that LeBron is going to fall into in 2014/15

Edited by Chad, June 13, 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#134 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,401 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Phil is not available-Please STOP

Brian Shaw may be the worst of all Phil's proteges...We don't KNOW. He hasn't had the time to show his stuff and THEN have the league ADJUST

George Karl? He is a beta version of D'Antoni. No way in hell he's a better option. What is he going to tell this team, other than run?

Lionel Hollins is a good coach, but what has he done that MDA hasn't? He had the DPOy, the best perimeter defender in the West(Allen), a Top 3 PF, a good young point guard and some decent pieces and San Antonio SWEPT them just  like the Kobe-less Lakers. thats doesn't impress me.

Doc Rivers coached a team that lost 18 or more in a row. He ONLY won when he had the FAr and AWAY best team in the league.

JVG is done and has been done. He was Mike Brown, nothing extraordinary.

Jerry Sloan might be a little too old/disciplinarian to coach Kobe,Nash and these other vets, THIS far along in their careers.

Same with Larry Brown. The perception of coaches from afar, but grass is not always GREENER.

All of them are better than MDA. 

#135 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,892 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:32 PM

You are underselling Hollins...He took a 15win team to 56 wins. With less talent that MDA ever had. 

D'Antoni is a product of Nash. His time in New York could have told you that.

D'antoni is a product of Nash and Hollins is a better coach than him.

But let's be completely honest, Memphis didn't start winning till Randolph got there.  Hollins coached them to 13-26 and it didn't seem like there was any end in sight.   That was 08-09

The next year they got Randolph and gave them 20/11

They went to 40-42

The next year they got Tony Allen and it finally started coming together and Rudy Gay was also giving them 19 points on 47% shooting and Z-Bo was going off for 20/12  and they went 46/36

So it's very easy to say that D'antoni was just a product of Nash.

But it could as easily be said that if it wasn't for Randolph, and Tony Allen that Memphis wouldn't have been a winning team. 

it's all about coaching AND talent in this league and you need some level with it and both. 

Hollins is a very good coach at understanding how to use what he has, that alone makes him better than D'antoni.   But if not for Zbo we wouldn't be saying he(Hollins) lead a team to a 46 win season.

That Grizzlies team with Hollins coaching was 13-26 before Randolph got there.   Randolph got there they went 40-42, Tony Allen got there they went 46-36, it's not a coincidence.

All coaches to an extent are a product of the talent they get and are able to coach.

It's just that depending on how you like or dislike a coach you'll give or take credit away.

In one breath someone will say D'antoni is a product of Nash because if Nash didn't get there and didn't emerge he'd have been a loser.

In the same breath you could easily say that if Randolph didn't get there, as well as Tony Allen(they already had Gay) that the Grizzlies never would have emerged either.

I agree 100% that Hollins is MUCH better than D'antoni and I'd love to have him here teaching a double post style but Randolph is what got that team over the hump and then Tony Allen added to it.   Rudy Gay's stellar performance shouldn't be overlooked either.  

I sure as heck know one thing, they sure missed Rudy Gay when they were up against San Antonio and Prince was taking those shots instead of Rudy.

Edited by Majesty, June 13, 2013 - 02:35 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#136 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,268 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 02:39 PM

But let's be completely honest, Memphis didn't start winning till Randolph got there.  Hollins coached them to 13-26 and it didn't seem like there was any end in sight.   That was 08-09

They went to 40-42

The next year they got Tony Allen and it finally started coming together and Rudy Gay was also giving them 19 points on 47% shooting and Z-Bo was going off for 20/12  and they went 46/36

But it could as easily be said that if it wasn't for Randolph, and Tony Allen that Memphis wouldn't have been a winning team. 

it's all about coaching AND talent in this league and you need some level with it and both. 

Hollins is a very good coach at understanding how to use what he has, that alone makes him better than D'antoni.   But if not for Zbo we wouldn't be saying he(Hollins) lead a team to a 46 win season.

That Grizzlies team with Hollins coaching was 13-26 before Randolph got there.   Randolph got there they went 40-42, Tony Allen got there they went 46-36, it's not a coincidence.

All coaches to an extent are a product of the talent they get and are able to coach.

It's just that depending on how you like or dislike a coach you'll give or take credit away.

In one breath someone will say D'antoni is a product of Nash because if Nash didn't get there and didn't emerge he'd have been a loser.

In the same breath you could easily say that if Randolph didn't get there, as well as Tony Allen(they already had Gay) that the Grizzlies never would have emerged either.

I agree 100% that Hollins is MUCH better than D'antoni and I'd love to have him here teaching a double post style but Randolph is what got that team over the hump and then Tony Allen added to it.   Rudy Gay's stellar performance shouldn't be overlooked either.  

I sure as heck know one thing, they sure missed Rudy Gay when they were up against San Antonio and Prince was taking those shots instead of Rudy.

Agree with everything you posted.

Also that Nash & Amare P&R is top 5 all time.

Edited by Chad, June 13, 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#137 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,024 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:14 PM

"[The Lakers are] going through crisis and if they ask me to come and sit and just listen to what's going on, I'm willing to do that," he said.  "As of right now there's not a position that's open there, in which to have an influence -- so I understand that."

Naturally, he talks to his fiancee, Jeanie Buss, who is an executive and owner with the team.

"I'm trying to counsel her on ways the team can improve," he said.  "They're a mess, we know that because of their financial disorder right now, that's the thing they have to get straight right away."

You know, with Jerry Buss now looking from above, it would be nice if we can bring in Phil Jackson into the front office and bring back the 3-man decision team. This time though, Jimmy will be having the final say. I doubt Jimmy would like that though.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#138 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,024 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:16 PM

They went to 40-42

You NEED talent to win. it doesn't matter if you put the minds of the top 5 coaches in the league all together. You need some level of talent to win. As coach, it is your responsible to put that talent together, develop a system which incorporates your players' strengths, manage your players and their egos, and win. MDA has failed in every aspect of this level.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#139 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,892 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 13, 2013 - 04:23 PM

You NEED talent to win. it doesn't matter if you put the minds of the top 5 coaches in the league all together. You need some level of talent to win. As coach, it is your responsible to put that talent together, develop a system which incorporates your players' strengths, manage your players and their egos, and win. MDA has failed in every aspect of this level.

hence why I said "Hollins is a very good coach at understanding how to use what he has, that alone makes him better than D'antoni."

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#140 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 08:54 PM

All i Know is when D'Antoni had 3 guys out there All healthy, he went from making us a bad team, to allowing Kobe to take over.

What is Hollins going to do?

What is he going to bring to the table.

I've seen so many teams get BIT by the Injury Bug over the years. Now I've seen the Lakers.

Now people doubt Nash, even though he was a JUSt what we need in a shooter plus a guy who can be creative in the offense, and a guy who obviously made Blake better( or was it D'Antoni[or KOBE])

Its like you think attacking Lakers will make it better. You're just picking a scab

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)