• 40,604 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 02:43 AM

tumblr_mtrwtmW3Sx1rqp2rqo1_500.gif

I know right? Reminds me of this classic scene from Billy Madison:

Spoiler

yo.

#562 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:02 AM

LeBron James isn't taking another paycut; Couldn't care less about Micky Arison's luxury tax bill
lebron-james-money-261x300_display_image

Miami’s “big three” have a message: Don’t save it, spend it.

If one thing was clear from the NBA Finals and the way the Spurs easily handled the Heat the last three games, it’s that Miami needs to revamp its roster some to compete with the best of the West. Not the tear down to the studs rebuild that some talking heads suggest, but they need to get deeper, more athletic — and that takes some money. The Heat can’t change that dynamic with veteran minimum guys.

The challenge there is that if LeBron James,Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all opt in for next season, with Norris Cole locked in, the Heat are at the salary cap line (and that is before Udonis Haslem decides whether to opt in for $4.6 million). Pat Riley can recruit with the best of them, but the people he wants to recruit want to get paid and other teams can offer that.

Which is why it has been suggested that Miami’s “big three” would all opt out then re-sign in Miami for less money.

However, LeBron doesn’t want to take less if the Heat aren’t going to spend that money — he’s not concerned with owner Micky Arison’s luxury tax bill, reports Mitch Lawrence at the New York Daily News.

As team insiders have maintained for months, James isn’t interested in reducing his salary from $20.6 next season and $22.1 million in 2015-16 just so that team owner Micky Arison can avoid paying luxury taxes. As they say, been there, done that and all it got James was second place.

Bosh, who makes identical money to James, and Wade, who makes slightly less, at around $41.5 million for the next two seasons, also don’t want to rework their deals solely to give Arison another tax break. They want the money put to good use, meaning adding talent so that Miami can return to the Finals for a fifth straight season. No team has done that since the Red Auerbach-led Celtics of the 1960s.

http://probasketball..._medium=twitter

Well there goes that.   Why would anyone assume he'd take 14.5 million just to bring in another superstar which still doesn't fix their bench or their post problem is beyond me.  Guess ESPN needed the story though.  LeBron said earlier this year he's done taking paycuts and this pretty much hammers that home. 

835991517.gif?1390984209

836072211.gif?1391013993

Edited by Majesty, June 18, 2014 - 02:04 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#563 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:58 AM

Magic, Mitch and Jim needs to get on the phone and talk to LeBron when the clock strikes midnight on July 1st.

#564 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 18, 2014 - 07:03 AM

I think it should go without saying that Lebron won't take a paycut if it means that the Heat aren't going to use the money to lure new talent to Miami.

Article like this are what happen when you have too much media. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#565 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

Rookie

• 848 posts
  • Name:Gamertag: BAD JuJu x
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Russell Westbrook

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:03 AM

LeBron To Meet With Wade, Bosh Ahead Of Decision

Jun 17, 2014 6:48 PM EDT

James_LeBron_mia_140616.jpg

LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh will soon have a conversation about their future together with the Miami Heat. All three players have the option of becoming free agents.

"We've earned that for each other," said James.

James has won two championships and have appeared in two additional ones during his four seasons with the Heat.

"I understand what this team, this franchise, brings to the table."

James' approach to his 2014 free agency will be far different from what happened in 2010.

"The decision comes down to me and my family, at the end of the day. If my family is happy, I'm happy."

James acknowledged that the Heat need to improve.

"We have some holes that need to be filled."

Edited by smoov123y, June 18, 2014 - 08:04 AM.

Join the movement and follow me on Twitter! @dapper_actual

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#566 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:03 AM

The Lakers can always offer Lebron and another star minimal money in 2014, but give them a significant raise in salary in 2015 with all the cap space available correct?

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#567 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,836 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 18, 2014 - 08:06 AM

No

The Lakers can always offer Lebron and another star minimal money in 2014, but give them a significant raise in salary in 2015 with all the cap space available correct?

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#568 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:18 AM

your talking about back loading. I dont think it would work with a lebron type contract. 

#569 Average Joe

Average Joe

Rookie

• 17 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:24, 32, 33, 34, 42, 16, 4 & 21

Posted June 18, 2014 - 09:30 AM

To me, if Lebron opts out and becomes a FA, Mitch and Jim need to do EVERYTHING in their power to ensure they land him. Teaming LBJ with Kobe would be an excellent pairing, imo. James is more of a facilitator while "Bean" is the assassin. They would free each other up to do what the other does best. They could use the Bird rights to re-sign Gasol and draft Smart, that's not a bad starting 4. Instant playoff team and STILL have some money over the next offseason to add another piece.

LeBron wants to get paid, both for his game and for his brand. No matter what anyone says, the Lakers are the most powerful brand in the NBA and a Top 10 brand in pro sports. Miami can't offer that. Cleveland can't, but the Lakers can. He would start to do what Jordan started and Kobe has become, a global icon. He knows this. He also knows that if he came to LA and won a title (like Shaq and Kareem before him) he instantly becomes an NBA Icon.

#570 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,349 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:01 AM

LeBron James genuinely isn't sure what he's going to do next. So if a team wants his attention they better act now: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11102706/how-lebron-james-figure-future 

#571 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:06 AM

To me, if Lebron opts out and becomes a FA, Mitch and Jim need to do EVERYTHING in their power to ensure they land him. Teaming LBJ with Kobe would be an excellent pairing, imo. James is more of a facilitator while "Bean" is the assassin. They would free each other up to do what the other does best. They could use the Bird rights to re-sign Gasol and draft Smart, that's not a bad starting 4. Instant playoff team and STILL have some money over the next offseason to add another piece.

LeBron wants to get paid, both for his game and for his brand. No matter what anyone says, the Lakers are the most powerful brand in the NBA and a Top 10 brand in pro sports. Miami can't offer that. Cleveland can't, but the Lakers can. He would start to do what Jordan started and Kobe has become, a global icon. He knows this. He also knows that if he came to LA and won a title (like Shaq and Kareem before him) he instantly becomes an NBA Icon.

If that did happen which I DOUBT, then Kobe's 6th ring would be meaningless. He'd be the second best player on his own team  and that would be a pathetic way to close an otherwise brilliant career.  It would leave absolutely no doubt that neither Lebron or Kobe are in the same class as Michael.

The good news is that Kobe is old school and has pride in his own ability and would never ride anyone's coattails. 

#572 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,118 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:13 AM

If that did happen which I DOUBT, then Kobe's 6th ring would be meaningless. 

No, it wouldn't.   LeBron would need Kobe's help just as much as Kobe would need his if this year was an indication to you that LeBron wouldn't be "carrying" Kobe in the least. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#573 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Offer him max. Promise him we will spend as much money as we need to win which is true and hope for the best. Though even with LeBron I don't see us winning for another year still. He knows that as well.

#574 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,836 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:22 AM

How is a 6th ring meaningless?  A win is a win.  Probably in the whole he won this many rings vs this dude debate but bball is a team sport.  If Kobe and Lebron are on the same team and win a ring so what. 

If that did happen which I DOUBT, then Kobe's 6th ring would be meaningless. He'd be the second best player on his own team  and that would be a pathetic way to close an otherwise brilliant career.  It would leave absolutely no doubt that neither Lebron or Kobe are in the same class as Michael.

The good news is that Kobe is old school and has pride in his own ability and would never ride anyone's coattails. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#575 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:27 AM

It's really too bad we only got the #7 pick.

I think we could've had a real shot at Lebron had we acquired a top 3 pick and used it to acquire talent via trade.

I still think a combo of Pau/Randle/Lebron/Kobe/etc. would be a nice start and could really make noise.  But, I'm not convinced that is Lebron's best choice, so why should he do it? 

The off court earnings argument is interesting. It's been discussed regarding LBJ for a decade now, but LA could certainly help boost his earnings potential.

That said, I'm not sure why he'd choose Lakers over Clippers.    Being the first guy to hoist a trophy in a Clippers uniform would really add something to his legacy.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#576 OH-IO-LA

OH-IO-LA

Rookie

• 119 posts
  • Name:jason
  • Fan Since:1980's

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm sorry but this is nonsense! Basically, what you're saying is that Kobe's not allowed to have other great players on his team and he must to it all on his own and that's just not fair. Who else in the league would tarnish Kobe's legacy if they came to the Lakers? There's got to be others you have in mind and if not you're just a Lebron hater. 

#577 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,836 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:42 AM

For a player as popular as Lebron is location doesn't matter.  What can he do in LA to boost his earnings and popularity that he can't do in other places?  He's a household name.  All stars like Aldridge or Love aren't household names so coming to a big market and getting that additional exposure could help them but a player that's pretty much the face of the sport at this point doesn't need a city to do anything for him. 

It's really too bad we only got the #7 pick.

I think we could've had a real shot at Lebron had we acquired a top 3 pick and used it to acquire talent via trade.

I still think a combo of Pau/Randle/Lebron/Kobe/etc. would be a nice start and could really make noise.  But, I'm not convinced that is Lebron's best choice, so why should he do it? 

The off court earnings argument is interesting. It's been discussed regarding LBJ for a decade now, but LA could certainly help boost his earnings potential.

That said, I'm not sure why he'd choose Lakers over Clippers.    Being the first guy to hoist a trophy in a Clippers uniform would really add something to his legacy.

#578 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 613 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:43 AM

I'm sorry but this is nonsense! Basically, what you're saying is that Kobe's not allowed to have other great players on his team and he must to it all on his own and that's just not fair. Who else in the league would tarnish Kobe's legacy if they came to the Lakers? There's got to be others you have in mind and if not you're just a Lebron hater. 

I didn't say he's not allowed to have other great players on his team. I argued that  the Kobe I know is not the type of player to take the P**** way out. He has been the best player on his team for a very long time and I don't see him accepting a sidekick role.

I don't see him as a guy that would be happy knowing that a championship won in Los Angeles would be more about Lebron than Kobe. I don't see Kobe essentially admitting that he is not capable of leading the Lakers.

Kobe had Shaq but Shaq was the last of the truly dominant big men. Shaq was the elder statesman that led the Lakers when Kobe was a pup. Now Kobe is the Elder statesman and I don't see him as willing to throw dirt on his own career by deferring to Lebron James of all players in the NBA.

#579 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:44 AM

He's not stupid in the end someone in his position in terms of legacy still needs to win more (although it depends on how complacent he is thus far with what he has achieved), he can't command a max contract and still expect a team to be a constant championship contender for the next 5 years of prime he has left, this season served to remind him what it is like to literally carry a team for a majority night in and out. Basically whatever comes out of his mouth is simply to put pressure on Arison which is smart.

Edited by Ven, June 18, 2014 - 11:45 AM.

#580 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 11:52 AM

That seems to make sense, but it isn't necessarily true.

LA is a bigger market than Miami.  It puts him and his people right in the middle of the entertainment capital in America.

Shaq was already a household name when he went to LA.  LA made him bigger.

The Lakers have more fans than Miami.  That alone drives interest and gives him even more exposure.

More people watch Lakers game than Heat games.  That matters to people around the globe that want to invest in Lebron.

For a player as popular as Lebron is location doesn't matter.  What can he do in LA to boost his earnings and popularity that he can't do in other places?  He's a household name.  All stars like Aldridge or Love aren't household names so coming to a big market and getting that additional exposure could help them but a player that's pretty much the face of the sport at this point doesn't need a city to do anything for him. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users