Photo

Is Kobe Bryant in the top 5 of all-time on your list?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:47 PM

Whenever this discussion comes up, I often think Bird gets underappreciatrd. His bad back makes him essier to push out of the top 5 than would be the case if healthy. A bad back and a dead Len Bias.

I think what I like most about the case for Jabbar is that he transcended two eras. He won an MVP at the beginning of the Bird Magic era, then was still a key component in 4 more championship teams.

Some players happen to come along at just the right time. Timing was super critical for Jordan. I don't think timing was as critical to Jabbar being listed at or near the top the mountain. if anything, timing worked against him.

Timing hurts Kobe. He is the face of the prima Dona high school to NBA era. People decided the day he joined the league that he was not allowed to be Jordan, even after years and years of people constantly calling the best player of the era the greatest of all time.

Timing has been great for Lebron. He came into the league right as Kobe hatred was at an all time high (2003 - Colorado). People so desperately wanted someone to be better than Kobe, in part so they could prove that Kobe was not as good as Jordan.

Edited by UKUGA, December 07, 2012 - 10:52 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#62 211275

Rookie

• 189 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:22 PM

One thing to keep in mind here is that Kobe spent what? the first 7-8 years of his career deferring to Shaq as the offense ran thru him primarily and not thru Kobe. If it ran thru Kobe and he was shooting as much as he has in the later stages of his career, who knows how many points he would have by now, doubtful he would have as many rings though. I dont have Kobe in my top 5 but top 10 for sure. In no particular order, I have

Wilt
Shaq
Bill Russell
Kobe
Oscar Robertson
Jordan
Magic
Jerry West
Kareem
Bird

Duncan should be in there too but I wouldnt drop any of them out of the top 10 for him.

#63 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:42 AM

http://www.grantland...e-kobe-question

GREAT article by Simmons on Kobe being in the top 5. Lot of interesting history in there for you basketball geeks :)... I loved it.
Laker fan for life.

#64 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:54 AM

Magic
Wilt
Russel
MJ
Jabbar
Magic GOAT, Kobe is one of the greatest but not top five why is that a problem...Kobe will always be in the conversation...James and Durant if they stay healthy are going to be right up there as well...
I realy think that if Kobe had bigger hands he would be ahead of MJ. I know that sounds weird but being able to hold the ball with one hand was a huge advantage for MJ.
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users