Photo

Is Kobe Bryant in the top 5 of all-time on your list?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted December 06, 2012 - 07:44 PM

As of right now...

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Magic
4) wilt
5) Kobe
6) bird
7) Russell
8) Shaquille
9) Duncan
10) Oscar

By the time active players retire...assuming no more rings for Kobe and Lebron gets 1-2 more MVP, finals MVP, and accolades

1) Jordan
2) Kareem
3) Lebron
4) Kobe
5) magic
6) wilt
7) bird
8) Duncan
9) Russell
10) shaquille

#22 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:24 PM

He' s number 2 on my list as great as those players were at his best only MJ could realistically mess with Kobe

#23 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,425 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Dude, championships are a team achievement.

We're talking individual players. Number of championships doesn't come into play whatsoever. You can be a great player (a la Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Patrick Ewing, etc.) but if you don't have the team, coaching and organization behind your skill there's nothing you can do.

Judging individual achievements on the basis of team accomplishments (and vice versa) is fatally flawed.

#24 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,887 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Prime kobe was wasted .. i think he could've won at least one more champion (total of 6) + whatever happens this year or next (one ring?).. Total of 7.

He retires at a high level ? you got him around best 3..

I haven't witnessed the 90's or before , so i can only judge with what i read and hear about.

#25 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,425 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:50 PM

The history is out there, go watch, read and listen to the history of the game. You'll appreciate the history, game and the present much more because of it.

#26 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 06, 2012 - 08:51 PM

You cant deny the fact that a mega-star with 5 rings and a mega-star with 0 rings does not affect the "all-time" list. "Greatness" is measured by winning and accomplishments. Fair point that championships are a team accomplishment but its the stars and the greatness of those stars that wills them to win.

Lebron was always judged on his inability to carry his team to win, once he got his first championship look at how fast the opinion of him changed.
Laker fan for life.

#27 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:01 PM

Anyone who doesn't measure greatness by including rings as a factor is flawed. Part of what makes MJ so incredible is his perfection in the NBA finals going 6 for 6 and never allowing a game 7. Finals MVPs are also important because at the biggest stage, were you the main contributor to winning it all. Jordan never had anyone usurp him on that stage.

Lebron will never pass MJ because he was 0-2 in the finals leading up to his breakthrough.

#28 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Anyone who doesn't measure greatness by including rings as a factor is flawed. Part of what makes MJ so incredible is his perfection in the NBA finals going 6 for 6 and never allowing a game 7. Finals MVPs are also important because at the biggest stage, were you the main contributor to winning it all. Jordan never had anyone usurp him on that stage.

Lebron will never pass MJ because he was 0-2 in the finals leading up to his breakthrough.

Thank you for reinforcing my point.
Laker fan for life.

#29 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:11 PM

The history is out there, go watch, read and listen to the history of the game. You'll appreciate the history, game and the present much more because of it.

I have actually a lot. Read, watched, and read players past, history and present.
Laker fan for life.

#30 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:23 PM

This is how it is for me

1) Kareem
2) Wilt
3) Jordan
4) Kobe
5) Magic

Its not clearcut for me 1/2 one day I'll flip Wilt and Kareem and sometimes I switch it around but those two are at the absolute top for me, then comes Kobe/MJ/Magic somewhat in the same category, I wouldn't be upset how these three are ordered, all 3 can make great arguments but these are my absolute top 5 all time

Edited by MDI, December 06, 2012 - 09:26 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#31 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:26 PM

This is how it is for me

1) Kareem
2) Wilt
3) Jordan
4) Kobe
5) Magic

what in the ****? can you please enlighten/explain the blasphemy?

#32 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:27 PM

what in the ****? can you please enlighten/explain the blasphemy?

well whos in your top 5?

EDIT: nevermind just saw it at the top of the page...so your'e one of those who thinks Lebron can crack the top 5 and be above Kobe :laughing: ok

Edited by MDI, December 06, 2012 - 09:29 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#33 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,159 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:30 PM

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
3. Magic Johnson
4. Wilt Chamberlain
5. Kobe Bryant
6. Larry Bird
7. Tim Duncan
8. Shaquille O'Neal
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
10. Oscar Robertson/Jerry West/Karl Malone

10th place is tricky.

#34 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:33 PM

well whos in your top 5?

EDIT: nevermind just saw it at the top of the page...so your'e one of those who thinks Lebron can crack the top 5 and be above Kobe :laughing: ok

And you are apparently one of those rare trolls who like to get attention by pretending that Jordan is not the unequivocal greatest of all time? I mean seriously...i don't care how people list outside of the number 1, but number 1 is factually MJ. No one tops him. What year were you born?

As for Lebron, I am not biased, or a fanboy, or ignorant. I don't care for Lebron as a person, but as a basketball player he is undeniable. He will most likely end his career with more points, more all stars, more MVPs, more finals MVPs, more All 1st Team NBAs, more All 1st Defensive Teams, better stats (rebounding, assists, FG%) than Kobe. Will he ever score 81 in a game? No. Will he ever have Kobe's intangibles (killer instinct, work ethic, etc.)? No. Doesn't mean that he will most likely be a top 3 player barring any major injuries.

#35 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:37 PM

I wish I could post right now but priorities...have a Final exam tomorrow morning, I'll come back here tomorrow morning

MJ aint the greatest homie, he makes a great argument for that spot nontheless

But Jordan is so perfect and doesn't want to lose a game 7 that he didn't go to the Finals more than half of the years he played in the NBA...perfect alright ;)

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#36 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 09:42 PM

I wish I could post right now but priorities...have a Final exam tomorrow morning, I'll come back here tomorrow morning

MJ aint the greatest homie, he makes a great argument for that spot nontheless

But Jordan is so perfect and doesn't want to lose a game 7 that he didn't go to the Finals more than half of the years he played in the NBA...perfect alright ;)

Go study. And after you study, study some more. And then ask to be born before 1990. And then watch basketball. And then come back and make a new list.

Jordan's Bulls in the mid/late 80s were horribly lacking talent compared to Boston, LA and Detroit. And yet...MJ still exploded in the playoffs during that time. Once they actually got a decent roster around MJ and gave him a partner in crime (Pippen) it was all over for the NBA. MJ dominated the finals going forward.

#37 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 478 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted December 06, 2012 - 10:16 PM

Uh, yes. Easily.

Jordan
Abdul-Jabbar
Kobe / Wilt
Magic

Kobe moves into 3rd (and past Wilt) when he moves into 4th (and past Wilt) on the all-time scoring list.

6 rings and he's into 2nd.

7 rings and you do the math.

Does he only need to win a ring to move up or a FMVP as well?

#38 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted December 06, 2012 - 10:40 PM

I'm off from work today so I have the privledge to watch early sportscenter before I go ball and workout later. Everyone is debating is Kobe top 5 of all time and it kind've reminded me how hard it is to make a top 5. You got MJ, Larry, Dr. J (Would've had 30,000 if ABA points counted), E. Baylor, Tim Duncan, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, Kareem, Jerry West, Bill Russel, Wilt, Karl Malone, Moses Malone, LeBron will be as his legacy cemented, Oscor Robertson, Hakeem, and probably a few I might've missed. I personally would choose.

1. MJ
2. Kareem
3. Wilt
4. Oscer Robertson
5. Is tooooooooooooooooooooo Debatable but I might go with Russel cus he dominated his era like no one else.

Kobe will probably pass up magic and all thats gonna hold up LeBron is rings. 27 7 7 and 3 - 6 Rings over a long period (Thats if he's lucky like kobe and Mj to stay healthy) will easily be top 5. But I wanna hear what you guys think and I understand its a generational thing. I'm 18 turning 19 so I didn't get a chance to see the all time greats of those years and all i've seen is 90's and 2000's. So I'm expecting alot've different list.There is no wrong list cause its all opinion and is emensley debatable. But the fact Kobe is even considered top 5 is such a acomplishment. I don't usually post that much cuz I'm busy alot but I really wanna hear you guys opinion so sound off.

you were 6 or 7 years old in the year 2000, not sure if you wanna count seeing games from the 90's the same unless were talking youtube (though youtube doesnt hold that many games). you're bball IQ was nowhere near what it is now (young adult vs young child)
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#39 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted December 06, 2012 - 10:57 PM

Go study. And after you study, study some more. And then ask to be born before 1990. And then watch basketball. And then come back and make a new list.

Jordan's Bulls in the mid/late 80s were horribly lacking talent compared to Boston, LA and Detroit. And yet...MJ still exploded in the playoffs during that time. Once they actually got a decent roster around MJ and gave him a partner in crime (Pippen) it was all over for the NBA. MJ dominated the finals going forward.

Not sure who you think you are talking to other members that way but you're going to stop right now. This thread is for members to voice who they have in their top 5, it's THEIR OPINION. If you think they are wrong then great but you will not talk down to members like you are doing.

Consider this your warning.

#40 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,741 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted December 06, 2012 - 11:20 PM

Kobe is 7th place right now for top 10 in my books. Just because hes playing and active. When he gets 36k+ points, win 2 rings, all-star selections, all nba teams, i would put him around 3

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users