#1 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,290 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard yelled at each other on the court after a Lakers first-quarter defensive breakdown Wednesday night and shortly after it spilled over into the timeout on the bench.
Howard stood to the left of a seated Bryant and pointed a finger toward Bryant’s face to continue the disagreement. Metta World Peace soon came in and took over the speaking.
Twice in a span of a couple minutes, Howard was visibly upset after he moved over to provide help defense against Hornets point guard Greivis Vasquez, but no one — specifically Bryant — rotated over to help cover Howard’s assigned man, Hornets center Robin Lopez. The first time, Howard looked back at Bryant with an anguished look on his face and gestured at him after Lopez scored for a 12-7 New Orleans lead.
Three-plus minutes later, Vasquez penetrated past Chris Duhon again, Howard shifted over to help again, and Lopez was left all alone again with Bryant toward the corner instead of in the paint. Lopez scored for an 18-14 Hornets lead, and Howard yelled at Bryant about it — prompting Bryant to yell back at Howard and gesture back toward the other end of the court.
After two recent games Howard has complained about going over to help others on defense but no one rotating to help cover his man. Houston backup center Greg Smith had 21 points Tuesday night in a Lakers loss, and Howard attributed it to that ongoing problem.
Later in the first half Wednesday night, Bryant talked to Lakers assistant coach Steve Clifford, who also coached Howard in Orlando, and then went over to sit next to Howard at the end of the bench. When play stopped for another timeout, Bryant got up first and reached back to help pull Howard to his feet.
Bryant also called some plays for Howard to get the ball as the game wore on, including one off an inbounds play that wound up in Bryant passing to Howard, who was called for traveling. Howard let off some steam then and was called for a technical foul for complaining about the call.
Bryant twice in the final two minutes did better sliding over to keep his body on Lopez when Howard went to help Duhon against Vasquez’s penetration. Bryant had 17 first-half points — with no assists and no turnovers — to eclipse the 30,000-point plateau for his career, only the fifth player to do so. The Lakers trailed, 48-47, at halftime, but they got off to a hot start in the second half. Bryant’s first assist came on a hit-ahead pass for Howard to score, and Howard largely owned the third period in building a 77-64 lead entering the fourth.
Bryant and Howard had different analyses about the Lakers’ loss the previous night in Houston, with Howard unhappy with late defensive breakdowns that included mistakes by Bryant and Bryant having the offensive rhythm disrupted by Howard’s free-throw misses.

http://lakers.ocregi...eakdowns/75031/

Dwight Howard on his first quarter shouting match with Kobe Bryant ...
"We move forward. You got to be able to do that – talk to each other," Howard said after the Lakers' 103-87 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday. "That’s why we’re a team, we’re a family. If you don’t feel comfortable enough saying something, then it’s not good. But when you can say whatever you have to say and the other person doesn’t take it as a personal attack and understand that whatever is being said is for the benefit of the team. That’s where we stand. There’s no need for a big discussion about it. It happened and at the end of the day, it got us a win."

http://sulia.com/cha...?source=twitter

And here's Kobe's take on his little spat with Dwight Howard. Bryant

"That’s just how I lead," Bryant said after the Lakers' 103-87 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday. "It’s no different. I’ve been that way when I was 18 and I’m the same way now. That’s just how I lead. That’s how I’ve found to be successful. At least for me, in my style of leadership and winning championships. That’s just how it’s going to be

Edited by Bjork, December 05, 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#2 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 523 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Meh.. It's basketball. When things aren't flowing well, people get pissed! No biggie in my books.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,407 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Part of the game.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,419 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Good they are both challenging each other. They need that type of communication and things to happen especially if Dwight wants to lead this team one day.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,486 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Good. Howard needs to call out Kobe's lazy ass defense.

#6 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Good.

Everyone needs to be held accountable. Kobe needs to stop playing [expletive]ty D and Dwight needs to learn how to shoot a damn free throw.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,419 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:37 PM

Good. Howard needs to call out Kobe's lazy ass defense.

Kobe's one of the top defenders in the league this year. Don't believe me check the stats.

do your research.

It's nice they are both challenging each other

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#8 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,290 posts
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:40 PM

And here's Kobe's take on his little spat with Dwight Howard. Bryant

"That’s just how I lead," Bryant said after the Lakers' 103-87 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday. "It’s no different. I’ve been that way when I was 18 and I’m the same way now. That’s just how I lead. That’s how I’ve found to be successful. At least for me, in my style of leadership and winning championships. That’s just how it’s going to be

Edited by Bjork, December 05, 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#9 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Kobe's one of the top defenders in the league this year. Don't believe me check the stats.

do your research.

This. No big deal. This is just part of being a championship team. Getting on each other when someone isn't doing their job right.
htCCl0m.png

#10 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,036 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:47 PM

Oh no he hates Kobe he hates LA he's going to leave us after the season's over!!! :omg:

#11 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:50 PM

To be the best you have to be lead by the best wOOOOOOO!
Posted Image

#12 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,575 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:51 PM

It's funny, on 710 today they were talking about Kobe and Dwight giving different responses in their post-game interviews to questions about defense (I think it began with questions about Dwight's FTs). They asked how soon until this difference in opinion will make fans think it's an issue. Tonight we saw it in a real game scenario.

I like that Dwight challenged Kobe by calling out his rotations. That's how teams learn to play together. Kobe has a high basketball IQ and has been a great defender throughout his career, but Dwight is on another level as far as that end of the floor is concerned. He has the biggest defensive impact of any player in the league, the guy is an absolute animal. Not to mention, he's right. It's not the first time Dwight has come to help on defense and someone (usually Pau) didn't come over to help the helper. Tonight that guy just happened to be Kobe.

I'm sure Kobe didn't like that, but he's a true pro, he'll learn from it as well as the rest of the team.

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,486 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 05, 2012 - 08:55 PM

do your research.

Doesn't change the fact that he has been lazy on defense.

Houston and Magic game, he literally stopped playing defense at the end of the game.

#14 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:01 PM

do your research.

MWP usually takes his man.
Leaving guys open multiple times.
Dwight sees it.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#15 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:10 PM

Kobe is a great defender when he chooses to be. The problem is he cares more about offense and will half-ass it on the other end.

#16 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:12 PM

sometimes I wonder if this place is Lakernation or TMZ.

#17 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:15 PM

sometimes I wonder if this place is Lakernation or TMZ.

I don't see this website reporting about somebody not picking up their dog [expletive]. However, TMZ articles are posted on here quite a bit.

#18 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:15 PM

Im happy with this. Definitely happy with Howard calling out Kobe on his defensive lapses and vice versa. This team needs it, it needs to shout at each other to become great.
Laker fan for life.

#19 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,040 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Ron Artest, Magic

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Just don't want him to really dislike playing with Kobe. Its good that Kobe got called out hope it doesn't escalate to worse things later on.

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

#20 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,152 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted December 05, 2012 - 09:42 PM

Kobe is a great defender when he chooses to be. The problem is he cares more about offense and will half-ass it on the other end.

Yea the last few years he's been kinda lagging,lazy(despite stats) and i know that Kobe can still play great defense when HE WANTS TOO, I saw some of it in the olympics.It's good that they can talk to each about problems like this in-game but you just have to make sure it's constructive criticism and not finger pointing after awhile

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users