Photo

What is the solution? Are the Lakers just a bad team?

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#141 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 07, 2012 - 10:44 PM

Honestly, I know its been brought up before, but the only bench solution we have to help with perimeter defense is DELONTE WEST!
West, Meeks, Jamison would spread the floor for the second team tremendously.

In terms of PG defense, I think he's the only way to improve it.

You have to wonder if his personal issues are major though. The Mavs have been awful at PG and they released him.

Posted Image

#142 Niss

Niss

Retired Lead Mod

• 713 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:03 PM

1. People have to be realistic with their expectations. It's going to take some time for the team to start playing at their best because they're learning a new system, this is their first season together, and they're still working on chemistry.

2. The Lakers will improve the team in a few months. Pau will probably be traded in a 3 team trade with the T-Wolves. Hopefully they can get someone like Smith or a package around AK47, Nikola Pekovic and Alexey Shved. The Timberwolves have way too many PG's on their team and Rubio should be starting soon. Alexey will be a solid PG in the future and right now he is better than any PG on the roster besides Nash. A couple of seasons learning from Nash and Kobe could make him the future PG for the Lakers.

3. It's hard to be playing well when your starting PG and back up PG pretty much missed most of the season. Let's see how other teams play if they lose their two best PG, get a new coach a month after training camp, and you're learning a new system.

4. The Lakers lack speed and athleticism on the team especially on the wing. The bench is below average after Hill, Meeks, and Jamison. They should really trade Ebanks in a package because he is playing terrible this season and he is becoming a distraction off the court.

5. Coach should really be playing two of the big four at the same time. I did not the unit he put in the 2nd quarter because the starters were out and the only player who really was able to create his own shot at the time was Jamison.

The Lakers should wait a few weeks to see how the team plays after Gasol and Nash come back. If things don't change then make some changes in January.

#143 211275

Rookie

• 189 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:06 PM

All I keep hearing is give it time. Time for Nash to come back, time for Pau to fit into the system, time for Dwight to start making his free throws...blah blah blah. Well guess what? These guys are running out of time and FAST! This is the western conference where its going to take at least 50 wins to make the playoffs. Thats 32 loses. The Lakers already have 11 and its only early Dec. Do they think they can just turn it on in Feb and win 30 of 35 games or something? Because at this rate, thats what its going to take to even sniff the 8th spot. They cant beat any teams over .500 and are even having trouble with bad teams. If they think they can just cruise along while trying to figure things out and take their time, they will be sitting on their couches watching the playoffs come April. Get your [expletive] together NOW!!

Edited by 211275, December 07, 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#144 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:20 PM

To answer the original question....

No they aren't a bad team. Unfortunately as a team we've dealt with a lot. Firing of a coach, injury of Nash, Gasol's knee problems, hiring of a new coach.

The Western Conference is tough as it is. We aren't making things easier on ourselves later on but it is what it is.

We have positives other than wins such as Dwight getting stronger and looking like his dominant self, plus the bench is playing a lot better under D'Antoni which was one of our weaknesses last season and early this year under Brown.

We are playing better and we just gotta be consistent with the energy. We'll be fine.

#145 211275

Rookie

• 189 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:26 PM

To answer the original question....

No they aren't a bad team. Unfortunately as a team we've dealt with a lot. Firing of a coach, injury of Nash, Gasol's knee problems, hiring of a new coach.

The Western Conference is tough as it is. We aren't making things easier on ourselves later on but it is what it is.

We have positives other than wins such as Dwight getting stronger and looking like his dominant self, plus the bench is playing a lot better under D'Antoni which was one of our weaknesses last season and early this year under Brown.

We are playing better and we just gotta be consistent with the energy. We'll be fine.

I get that but a team as loaded as this with 2 of the top 5 players in the NBA shouldnt be giving up over 100 a game and losing to garbage teams. It is completely unacceptable and pathetic.

#146 Oasis Lover

Oasis Lover

Rookie

• 98 posts
  • Name:Roy
  • Fan Since:'89
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:30 PM

2. The Lakers will improve the team in a few months. Pau will probably be traded in a 3 team trade with the T-Wolves. Hopefully they can get someone like Smith or a package around AK47, Nikola Pekovic and Alexey Shved. The Timberwolves have way too many PG's on their team and Rubio should be starting soon. Alexey will be a solid PG in the future and right now he is better than any PG on the roster besides Nash. A couple of seasons learning from Nash and Kobe could make him the future PG for the Lakers.

That's what I've been thinking he really stood out to me in the Olimpics he seem to have loads of talent

Edited by Oasis Lover, December 07, 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#147 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:33 PM

I am very encouraged right now - being a glas-half-full type of person.

We lost a close game on the road against the best team in the league without two of our four best players (Nash being the most important piece in the offense) in a system we've only played in for 10 games.

Think about this: Would it be bad if OKC lost to Miami, in Miami, without Ibaka and Kevin Martin, in a game where LBJ and Wade combine for almost 70 points? No, not really.

#148 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,131 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:45 PM

I am very encouraged right now - being a glas-half-full type of person.

We lost a close game on the road against the best team in the league without two of our four best players (Nash being the most important piece in the offense) in a system we've only played in for 10 games.

Think about this: Would it be bad if OKC lost to Miami, in Miami, without Ibaka and Kevin Martin, in a game where LBJ and Wade combine for almost 70 points? No, not really.

And what would it mean if they dropped the 19 point lead down to 4.

Considering that we missed so many layups at the rim it could have really been a ball game had we converted.

D'antoni brought up a nice point when he said we missed 15.. count em 15! Layups at the basket in the 2nd quarter that OKC got out on the fast break off of, what if we make those and shut down OKC in the 2nd half like we did? Then it's a blowout for us isn't it?

Another funny statistic is that we won every quarter but the 2nd (3rd was tied)

I took from this game a lot of hope and happiness, we were PLAYING like a much more focused team that 2nd half. Even the 1st quarter we were. The problem was we fell apart for that brief moment in the 2nd half eventhough we forced westbrook into hard shots that somehow went down. We held him to 2 points in the 2nd half. That is saying something.

Also OKC shot 51% and we shot 37% and got this game within 4.

If that was the best OKC has which I'm pretty sure it was, then they are in trouble when it comes to us.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#149 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:55 PM

And what would it mean if they dropped the 19 point lead down to 4.

Considering that we missed so many layups at the rim it could have really been a ball game had we converted.

D'antoni brought up a nice point when he said we missed 15.. count em 15! Layups at the basket in the 2nd quarter that OKC got out on the fast break off of, what if we make those and shut down OKC in the 2nd half like we did? Then it's a blowout for us isn't it?

Another funny statistic is that we won every quarter but the 2nd (3rd was tied)

I took from this game a lot of hope and happiness, we were PLAYING like a much more focused team that 2nd half. Even the 1st quarter we were. The problem was we fell apart for that brief moment in the 2nd half eventhough we forced westbrook into hard shots that somehow went down. We held him to 2 points in the 2nd half. That is saying something.

Also OKC shot 51% and we shot 37% and got this game within 4.

If that was the best OKC has which I'm pretty sure it was, then they are in trouble when it comes to us.

Couldn't agree more.

Heard Kobe postgame saying that him and Jamison just needs to get used to playing together a bit more. For instance, Kobe drew a double-team and then threw the ball to the corner, where he thought Jamison was, which resulted in a TO. Once they get their spots and spacing down the Lakers will be dangeours.

Also, i dont think Russell Westbrick is going to make 5 3s again anytime soon...

#150 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Couldn't agree more.

Heard Kobe postgame saying that him and Jamison just needs to get used to playing together a bit more. For instance, Kobe drew a double-team and then threw the ball to the corner, where he thought Jamison was, which resulted in a TO. Once they get their spots and spacing down the Lakers will be dangeours.

Also, i dont think Russell Westbrick is going to make 5 3s again anytime soon...

Not just that OKC shot 70% from 3 in the first half.

So 70% from 3 in the first half, 51% for the game, while we shot only 38%

If I said that this was a 4 point game late in the fourth I'd be looked at like I was crazy.

#151 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:57 PM

This season has been a disaster so far. There's no doubt about it. But it doesn't have to end in a disaster. There is a ton that can be done. And Nash and a healthy pau are a good start.

Trading hill with ebanks for a legit backup wing that we can go to when artest is having a game like he had today.

Those are ways to improve, ways to solidify this roster. Trading pau isn't a necessity yet. Trading hill is IMO. Once pau is back healthy hill will be useless period. He's playing for pau right now basically. Pau is going to be that 2nd team 5. Jamison will be the 2nd team 4

Depth is important and had we signed pietrus or had a legitimate backup sf I'd be glad to keep hill

But we can't. We need a backup 3. Kobe can't play those kind of minutes, Clark can't shoot, and ebanks is useless
Posted Image

#152 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:59 PM

Not just that OKC shot 70% from 3 in the first half.

So 70% from 3 in the first half, 51% for the game, while we shot only 38%

If I said that this was a 4 point game late in the fourth I'd be looked at like I was crazy.

It wasn't a 4 point game. That's what the scoreboard said.

The thunder completely took their foot off the gas and gave up some 3s

Had they kept pushing it would have ended in double digits. This is a common thing in blowouts. Doesn't make the game any closer in reality, only in the box score
Posted Image

#153 AirTupac

AirTupac

Rookie

• 470 posts
  • Name:Tupac
  • Fan Since:96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 07, 2012 - 11:59 PM

I'm just waiting for it to click. I don't know if it will ever click. It's constantly a waiting game butI'll wait because the end product might be AMAZING.
To Live and Die in L.A

#154 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,131 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:01 AM

This season has been a disaster so far. There's no doubt about it. But it doesn't have to end in a disaster. There is a ton that can be done. And Nash and a healthy pau are a good start.

Trading hill with ebanks for a legit backup wing that we can go to when artest is having a game like he had today.

Those are ways to improve, ways to solidify this roster. Trading pau isn't a necessity yet. Trading hill is IMO. Once pau is back healthy hill will be useless period. He's playing for pau right now basically. Pau is going to be that 2nd team 5. Jamison will be the 2nd team 4

Depth is important and had we signed pietrus or had a legitimate backup sf I'd be glad to keep hill

But we can't. We need a backup 3. Kobe can't play those kind of minutes, Clark can't shoot, and ebanks is useless

#155 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:06 AM

You can joke all you want. Trading hill is the only way to improve this team. Favorable contract or a productive big man.

Noone is going to give us anything of worth for pau until the offseason and hill is going to ride the pine when pau returns.

Hill should get traded, it's the correct move to make. There's no justification to keeping him and rolling out ebanks or Kobe at the 3 every game
Posted Image

#156 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:06 AM

Pau has been awful. He just doesn't fit with this team and is just plain declining period. He's bad on offense and defense. Even when he was healthy last season, he was awful on defense.

Metta isn't getting it done as the primary on the ball defender anymore. He's been bad on D all season, and Kevin Durant basically got anything he wanted. He can't keep up with young wing players anymore. The Lakers almost always need to help him because guys easily run past him. I don't think merely getting a backup is enough.

So, I think the solution is to trade Pau for a perimeter defender and to move Metta to PF. It would help the Lakers' defense at 2 positions. Hill is good for what he does, so don't think he should be traded. He can't be traded until January 15 anyway.

The Lakers don't need to get any big names for Pau. So, I'm willing to trade him at low value right now. It's no sure thing he'll play better and get his value up later on.

Edited by Japago, December 08, 2012 - 12:08 AM.

Posted Image

#157 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Pau has been awful. He just doesn't fit with this team and is just plain declining period. He's bad on offense and defense. Even when he was healthy last season, he was awful on defense.

Metta isn't getting it done as the primary on the ball defender anymore. He's been bad on D all season, and Kevin Durant basically got anything he wanted. He can't keep up with young wing players anymore. The Lakers almost always need to help him because guys easily run past him. I don't think merely getting a backup is enough.

So, I think the solution is to trade Pau for a perimeter defender and to move Metta to PF. It would help the Lakers' defense at 2 positions. Hill is good for what he does, so don't think he should be traded.

I thought that was a good idea to. In fact I was championing this idea the minute we hired d'antoni

One big problem. Look around the league. This SF you are talking about, doesn't exist

Granger was the only one who fit the mold and his knee is reeling

Iguodala isn't going anywhere

Neither is gay

Batum no chance

Carmelo, Lebron, and pierce aren't happening

Harrison Barnes and MKG are staying right where they are

Gordon Hayward isn't going anywhere

Luol deng would be nice, not happening

Do I need to keep going. This SF, doesn't exist
Posted Image

#158 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:10 AM

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a disater, but it definitely have been a bit, well, up-and-down.
Trading Pau or Hill obviously is definitely an option and i'll bet one of them will be traded, but as long as we haven't seen how the offense is going to work with Steve Nash it's would be a bit premature to start trading just yet. Also, many players aren't trade eligible until dec 15 or jan 15.

#159 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:12 AM

I thought that was a good idea to. In fact I was championing this idea the minute we hired d'antoni

One big problem. Look around the league. This SF you are talking about, doesn't exist

Granger was the only one who fit the mold and his knee is reeling

Iguodala isn't going anywhere

Neither is gay

Batum no chance

Carmelo, Lebron, and pierce aren't happening

Harrison Barnes and MKG are staying right where they are

Gordon Hayward isn't going anywhere

Luol deng would be nice, not happening

Do I need to keep going. This SF, doesn't exist

Keep going lower on the totem pole until you find one. To be honest, Pau isn't worth a big name anymore.

Edited by Japago, December 08, 2012 - 12:13 AM.

Posted Image

#160 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:15 AM

Keep going lower on the totem pole until you find one.

It's illogical to do so

If Dwight walks or even if he doesn't having paus 19 million dollar expiring is going to be very attractive

Trading pau for some bottom 10 starting SF is a franchise crippling move. Now maybe you convince boston that Jeff green and Avery Bradley is a good deal. But outside of that (and even thats not a great deal) there isn't much worth it

Trading hill on the other hand and getting that same bottom 10 starting SF. That makes sense. You keep your greatest asset while getting a similar player
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users