Photo

What is the solution? Are the Lakers just a bad team?

• Please log in to reply
330 replies to this topic

#101 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 05, 2012 - 03:16 AM

When was the last time a team started 8-10 and won a championship? Can someone fetch that stat for me...

Even with 100% full healthy squad this team just has too many holes both on offence and defence. YES Offence will improve with Nash, YES offence will improve with a healthier Pau. However defensively our guards, artest and Pau are too slow to do anything this will be even worse with Nash, I use to tease nash in 2006 and say that if he had a police badge and a gun he still couldnt defend anyone and that was in 2006, 7 years later aint gonna be better...

In saying that, yes we are NOT going to win a championship. Im willing to put money on it. We wont even get out of the west let alone beat a Miami Heat team.
Laker fan for life.

#102 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,089 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 05, 2012 - 04:18 AM

When was the last time a team started 8-10 and won a championship? Can someone fetch that stat for me...

Even with 100% full healthy squad this team just has too many holes both on offence and defence. YES Offence will improve with Nash, YES offence will improve with a healthier Pau. However defensively our guards, artest and Pau are too slow to do anything this will be even worse with Nash, I use to tease nash in 2006 and say that if he had a police badge and a gun he still couldnt defend anyone and that was in 2006, 7 years later aint gonna be better...

In saying that, yes we are NOT going to win a championship. Im willing to put money on it. We wont even get out of the west let alone beat a Miami Heat team.

And how the heck do you know that?

You really are going to look extremely wrong when Nash's return cuts back on our turnovers which is what the majority of teams are taking advantage of :laughing:

We lead the league in turnovers and only lose by an average of 5 points a game... seriously... think about that...

I'm sure you didn't prior though or you wouldn't say things like that.

Nash being back takes the ball out of Kobe's hands in terms of Kobe won't have to do the 1-3 job and can be used as a weapon in the offense, not to mention taking a lot of pressure off of him.

Not just this but Nash will also not cause many turnovers, actually a lot of our turnovers are unforced and are a product of Nash NOT running this system.

So the fact you're out and out saying we WON'T win a championship and that Nash's come back ONLY effects us offensively is as wrong of a post as I've ever seen you put together.

Nash coming back cuts down our turnovers, which cuts down opponents points off turnovers and also cuts down fast break points against us due to turnovers.

Did you seriously consider ALL of that?

You're seriously overstepping on a lot of boundries you A) haven't the slightest about yet and B) haven't even seen implemented yet.

I will say that no we won't win a championshop if Duhon and Morris are our 1st and 2nd string point guards :laughing:

And that's as far as you know too no matter how hard you try to figure otherwise.

Edited by Majesty, December 05, 2012 - 04:20 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#103 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 05:10 AM

I guess its all nice to talk "theory". So I guess lets "wait" (seems like forever) for Nash to get back...
Laker fan for life.

#104 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 05, 2012 - 05:12 AM

The Lakers have to make moves to compete.

It's not just turnovers. I know they lead to easier opportunities on the other end, but this team is just too slow on defense even in the half court. Other teams always get past the initial defense, and most of the helpers are too slow to recover when they do help.

The best defensive team last season? Miami. They have athletes on D. Wade and Lebron swarm to the basketball and are quick enough to recover. Battier is quicker than Metta.

Posted Image

#105 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 05:17 AM

Yeh thats one of the problems i listed earlier. Our backcourt is very slow, and metta even slower on defence, he might still have quick hands however he is very slow laterally. Also the amount of times we get pick and rolled to death against Pau with someone driving in for an open layup is astonishing.

Our expectations for this season was Howard taking out all defensive problems, however look a little deeper and we are bad defensively 4 out of 5 positions.
Laker fan for life.

#106 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 05, 2012 - 05:22 AM

The Lakers don't even need to get back any big names if they give up Pau. If they can get younger wing player(s) who can defend, it will make this team so much better.

Posted Image

#107 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted December 05, 2012 - 06:06 AM

You can't really blame him for Phoenix's lack of postseason success, that's pretty unfair considering the circumstances.

In '04-05 (D'Antoni's first year) Joe Johnson was playing the best ball of his career averaging 19 ppg while shooting 50+% from the field AND beyond the arc that postseason before he literally broke his face in the 2nd round against the Mavericks. The following season had Amar'e Stoudemire undergo microfracture knee surgery and he only managed to play 3 games the entire year. '06-07 had the infamous Horry hip-check which led to the suspensions of Diaw and Stoudemire for Game 5, a game that they barely lost by 3 at home. Amar'e was killing San Antonio that entire series. The Spurs then closed them out at home in Game 7. And finally '07-08 had the team throw away their system to accommodate Shaq who was almost entirely useless.

And then for the Knicks he was hired '08-09, still saddled with that mess of a roster that Isiah Thomas left behind. He didn't have a legitimate team until the '10-11 season when he was able to pair Amar'e and Felton for the 1st half of the season and keep the in the playoff chase. Then around the deadline they torpedoed their squad for Carmelo who was never a good fit under D'Antoni. The Knicks still managed to make the playoffs for only the 2nd time in since 2001. Of course, he then quit on New York which is the only real blemish I see.

He's done pretty damn well with what he's had to work with to this point. I'm not saying he's perfect and shouldn't be criticized (not a fan of some of the stuff he's done so far), but he needs to be given a fair chance before calling him a failure. Even Mike Brown got that.

If D'antoni can't be blamed for his lack of success in PHX then Phil can't be blamed for his lack of success before his departure
that is all I'm saying.

It doesn't make sense to blame Phil for the team 'quitting' when people are blaming the players (now) and not the new unproven hasn't won jack [expletive] ever coach.

Edited by MyJohnsonIsMagic, December 05, 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#108 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted December 05, 2012 - 06:28 AM

Seems like our team is playing like, "let play until Nash comes back" kind of mentality....ain't working. We gotta play free...like with Bernie. It's mental that's what killing us. We are thinking, not reacting and play B.

#109 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted December 05, 2012 - 06:29 AM

Problem #1: Pau Gasol

Problem #2: Mike D'antoni

Pau Gasol is GONE

#110 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted December 05, 2012 - 10:05 AM

Problem #1: Pau Gasol

Problem #2: Mike D'antoni

Problem 1: defense
Problem 2: defense

Posted Image

#111 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,631 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted December 05, 2012 - 10:28 AM

The Lakers don't even need to get back any big names if they give up Pau. If they can get younger wing player(s) who can defend, it will make this team so much better.

I agree. Young legs at small forward and point guard would help tremendously (don't know how to manage the 1 spot because of our point guard overflow though. Maybe send Duhon with Pau). We need somebody to put in front of these opposing perimeter guys who are just getting everything they want. Dwight can't be everywhere at once.

#112 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,883 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted December 05, 2012 - 10:55 AM

That's why i said our main problem is Energy and D... Problem with the lakers is. just because we have the lead they get too *Relaxed* specially in 4th qt (just my assumption)

I think they are not getting relax

they just lost focus, lost their rhythm, then lost to play basketball when "Hack a howard started"

I know you feel it too everytime D12 miss free throw you're getting frustrated even you're just watching the games

Kobe doing shirt biting before howards free throw it show's that he's frustrated also with those miss shot

If D12 can make those shot lakers confidence on D will be increase and you know it

We got D12 we got metta and Kobe how come we are terrible in defense it just their energy

33bkfif.jpg

#113 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,329 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted December 05, 2012 - 11:30 AM

I think they are not getting relax

they just lost focus, lost their rhythm, then lost to play basketball when "Hack a howard started"

I know you feel it too everytime D12 miss free throw you're getting frustrated even you're just watching the games

Kobe doing shirt biting before howards free throw it show's that he's frustrated also with those miss shot

If D12 can make those shot lakers confidence on D will be increase and you know it

We got D12 we got metta and Kobe how come we are terrible in defense it just their energy

Btw they started doing the "Hack a dwight" when we were only leading 5 points heck we were leading 13 points at the start of 4th qt so dont blame it all to DH, and what do you mean Kobe doing shirt biting. he always does that!. that's like his habit. and dont even include mwp and kobe on "D" now cause honestly. they are terrible from the way i see

#114 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 12:01 PM

I have full trust in Mitch. The guy does not sit around for too long. He's made it clear that it is win now and changes may happen sooner rather than later. The one thing that I look back on from last season is how we almost traded for Beasley a couple of times last season. Beasley was brought into Phoenix to lead the team and isn't anything more than just a strong scorer. They are considering benching him. I still think that if Beasley becomes available they should make a move.

I tried to tell everyone Beasley was Lazy... and wouldn't be a good fit for this team and everybody called me crazy

#115 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 12:22 PM

Unless we can play better defense this team is doomed to not go deep in the playoffs unless our offense just explodes throughout the playoffs...

#116 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 12:23 PM

Mike would have been a better coach for the nuggets

#117 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,478 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted December 05, 2012 - 01:33 PM

At this point they are doomed to not even make the playoffs. Baby steps.

#118 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted December 05, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Last year everybody was like "we need veterans we are in win now mode and we can't have too many young players cause we aren't rebuilding"

This year "we need young players because we have to many old and slow players"

LOL and people said I was wrong this whole time smh... we might as well develop the little young talent we have in Morris and look to get a small forward or maybe a combo guard to play with meeks

#119 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted December 05, 2012 - 02:50 PM

There is not such thing as immediate solution in basketball. Team must play and react....sure Lakers made lots of noise in the off season, so high expectation on them to sweep the season. So such super team can...and the super TWC 3 billion dollars contract is not helping either.

fire MB was first panic move solution which not helping much cause we yet to win 3 in a row. Record is still 8-10...Vs. MB 1-4 so are we going to fire MD if he loses few more games.

#120 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,698 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted December 05, 2012 - 03:31 PM

we just need some time i think.. BUT HOW MUCH ? :(

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users