Photo

Yahoo! Article: Dwight Howard might be willing to leave Lakers in free agency this summer in pursuit of a championship

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:22 PM

MULTIPLE FREE AGENTS.

Why would multiple free agents wanna come here if there is no one here? They could very easily go some place else.
htCCl0m.png

#42 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,297 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Well can he handle being hated again tho? im pretty sure he'll get a tone of hate especially its los angeles if he'll leave

#43 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Why would multiple free agents wanna come here if there is no one here? They could very easily go some place else.

Can they play with each other somewhere else? The Lakers are very close to a clean slate in 2014.

Not saying losing Dwight wouldn't hurt badly, but having a clean slate in 2014 is potentially a good thing too.

Kinda funny that Bynum > Howard is saying this though.

Edited by Japago, December 03, 2012 - 09:27 PM.

Posted Image

#44 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:33 PM

Can they play with each other somewhere else? The Lakers are very close to a clean slate in 2014.

Not saying losing Dwight wouldn't hurt badly, but having a clean slate in 2014 is potentially a good thing too.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. I've clearly stated several, several times that I was wrong about Howard in the sense that he is an upgrade over Bynum on both sides of the ball and he wants to be a Laker. That was my only beef with Dwight. I didn't really know if he wanted to be a Laker, but he put any of the doubts to rest this summer.
htCCl0m.png

#45 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:34 PM

And your quote is kinda funny too, being that Howard > than everyone.

#46 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:38 PM

I don't see what that has to do with anything. I've clearly stated several, several times that I was wrong about Howard in the sense that he is an upgrade over Bynum on both sides of the ball and he wants to be a Laker. That was my only beef with Dwight. I didn't really know if he wanted to be a Laker, but he put any of the doubts to rest this summer.

How did he put any doubts to rest this Summer that he didn't want to be a Laker? Because he smiled during the press conference when introduced, followed by him saying he didn't want to discuss his future with the Lakers and just wanted to talk about this year?? How did he put any doubts to rest about his future with this team this summer or any other time? Seriously, I'm curious..

Edited by lakerfandude, December 03, 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#47 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 09:39 PM

And your quote is kinda funny too, being that Howard > than everyone.

What? I didn't say Dwight Howard was better than everyone.

Posted Image

#48 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,554 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 03, 2012 - 11:29 PM

I really doubt that Dwight Howard will leave this summer. Even if he teams up with CP3 in either Dallas or Atlanta, he wont increase his chances of winning a championship. Especially not going forward.

Also, Mitch Kupchack is not Rob Hennigan (Magic GM) and Mitch will trade Howard in a heartbeat if he thinks he'll leave as a FA.

#49 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 11:39 PM

I really doubt that Dwight Howard will leave this summer. Even if he teams up with CP3 in either Dallas or Atlanta, he wont increase his chances of winning a championship. Especially not going forward.

Also, Mitch Kupchack is not Rob Hennigan (Magic GM) and Mitch will trade Howard in a heartbeat if he thinks he'll leave as a FA.

If things don't change, that's exactly what will happen. Howard doesn't like being 2nd fiddle, especially when it results in losses. When Kobe came out a month ago and said that he will play till he's 40, that doesn't bode well for Howard inking with the Lakers.

Besides, I have a gut that says Dwight isn't comfortable being the man with a team that's legacy is so high as the Lakers. I don't know for sure he is ready for the pressure. I may be wrong, but he doesn't seem to be like any Laker leader I've ever seen.. He doesn't have the mentality of a player such as Shaq, at least from what I've seen of him.

Edited by lakerfandude, December 03, 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#50 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted December 03, 2012 - 11:57 PM

If things don't change, that's exactly what will happen. Howard doesn't like being 2nd fiddle, especially when it results in losses. When Kobe came out a month ago and said that he will play till he's 40, that doesn't bode well for Howard inking with the Lakers.

Besides, I have a gut that says Dwight isn't comfortable being the man with a team that's legacy is so high as the Lakers. I don't know for sure he is ready for the pressure. I may be wrong, but he doesn't seem to be like any Laker leader I've ever seen.. He doesn't have the mentality of a player such as Shaq, at least from what I've seen of him.

That quote was misinterpreted. He said he wanted to play basketball until he's 40, not necessarily in the NBA. He's always said he's about 2 to 3 years away from retirement.

Besides, if Dwight makes it clear he doesn't want to play with Kobe, the Lakers might ultimately chose Dwight over Kobe. They did the same thing when they had to choose a younger Kobe over an older Shaq.

And, we don't even know if he doesn't like playing with Kobe. He'll have to eventually play alongside a superstar if he wants to win anyway.

Posted Image

#51 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 12:03 AM

That quote was misinterpreted. He said he wanted to play basketball until he's 40, not necessarily in the NBA. He's always said he's about 2 to 3 years away from retirement.

Besides, if Dwight makes it clear he doesn't want to play with Kobe, the Lakers might ultimately chose Dwight over Kobe. They did the same thing when they had to choose a younger Kobe over an older Shaq.

And, we don't even know if he doesn't like playing with Kobe. He'll have to eventually play alongside a superstar if he wants to win anyway.

The day will never come for the Lakers to give up Kobe for Howard unless we win a championship with Howard being a huge part, if not the main reason for said championship. I would bet most I have that this will never happen..

Edited by lakerfandude, December 04, 2012 - 12:04 AM.

#52 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 12:08 AM

The day will never come for the Lakers to give up Kobe for Howard unless we win a championship with Howard being a huge part, if not the main reason for said championship. I would bet most I have that this will never happen..

It's giving up the old superstar in favor of the young superstar, which is the choice the Lakers made in the past. Dwight isn't Kobe, but it's the general principal that I think the Lakers will stick to.

Posted Image

#53 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 12:22 AM

It's giving up the old superstar in favor of the young superstar, which is the choice the Lakers made in the past. Dwight isn't Kobe, but it's the general principal that I think the Lakers will stick to.

This is his contract year, if we go one and out this year, will they commit to Howard? Is he the leader that all Laker teams have had since the Magic Johnson days, minus the few years in between.? The Lakers are committed to titles, would you bet the farm on Dwight Howard?

Edited by lakerfandude, December 04, 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#54 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 12:29 AM

How did he put any doubts to rest this Summer that he didn't want to be a Laker? Because he smiled during the press conference when introduced, followed by him saying he didn't want to discuss his future with the Lakers and just wanted to talk about this year?? How did he put any doubts to rest about his future with this team this summer or any other time? Seriously, I'm curious..

Don't even know why I bother responding to you, but Dwight has said several times he loves Los Angeles and being a Laker. H made it clear this is where he wants to be.
htCCl0m.png

#55 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts

Posted December 04, 2012 - 12:41 AM

Don't even know why I bother responding to you, but Dwight has said several times he loves Los Angeles and being a Laker. H made it clear this is where he wants to be.

I know why you don't bother responding to me, because you can't answer my question. Yes he said he likes being a Laker, I guess, what else can he say? When did he say he sees himself a Laker for the foreseeable future. That is what you are saying he said, right? You are implying that you are sold by his comments that he will be here long term. Where's the proof Cowboy? Saying he loves being a Laker and loves L.A. means he's committing himself long term?

Edited by lakerfandude, December 04, 2012 - 12:44 AM.

#56 spacedog1

spacedog1

Rookie

• 234 posts
  • Fan Since:90s

Posted December 04, 2012 - 01:47 AM

I know why you don't bother responding to me, because you can't answer my question. Yes he said he likes being a Laker, I guess, what else can he say? When did he say he sees himself a Laker for the foreseeable future. That is what you are saying he said, right? You are implying that you are sold by his comments that he will be here long term. Where's the proof Cowboy? Saying he loves being a Laker and loves L.A. means he's committing himself long term?

lol You seem to enjoy demanding an irrational amount of evidence when you yourself don't provide any for your own arguments. The "evidence" for your argument is a supposed "lack" of evidence for the alternative, unfortunately for your argument though, this supposed lack of evidence is not evidence in itself. He's done virtually everything besides signing an extension right now to suggest he'll stick around. If you're legitimately expecting him to say explicitly "I will stay here" to give up his own leverage (again like he did in Orlando) before you acknowledge that as evidence, then you need to be better suited at reading between the lines. I don't mean to be rude but your arguments (or counterarguments) just aren't that good, although that can be said about plenty of arguments on the Internet. lol

Edited by spacedog1, December 04, 2012 - 01:51 AM.

#57 haztronic

haztronic

From Laguna/Love the Lakers

• 336 posts
  • Name:Harry
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted December 04, 2012 - 04:06 AM

The point is 'Lakerfandude', Dwight will have no greater opportunity anywhere else besides the Lakers. Atlanta = no way, they will never win a championship and their fan base is terrible. Dallas = a big no, Mark Cuban isn't as good at controlling his team like Mitch is plus it is an undesirable location, Lamar couldn't even last a year there because he wanted to come back to LA so bad. Those are Dwight's only 2 options so I do not see him going anywhere. LA is the best sports city (you could tie LA up with NY), with many hardcore fans, and if Dwight left LA then he would without a doubt be the most hated NBA player in the league and you just know that's not something he wants. Plus its been stated that this team will be DWIGHT'S when Kobe is gone, which most likely will be one more year after this season. So in conclusion I do not think D12 will be going anywhere.
DIE HARD LAKER FAN 4 LIFE!

#58 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 04, 2012 - 04:56 AM

We all know how obsessed Howard is with fans/media and fame...why the hell would he go anywhere else? The only place in the world with a massive fan base, huge following, hollywood opportunities is LA.

#59 Listen2TheBeatt

Listen2TheBeatt

6th Man

• 691 posts
  • Name:Colin
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted December 04, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Can we use this as an excuse to bring back THE Dwight Thread?
Videographer for LakerNation.com & STNTV
Follow me on Twitter @Listen2TheBeatt

#60 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted December 04, 2012 - 08:18 AM

howard isnt going anywhere.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic