3708 replies to this topic

#1121 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Can't blame D'antoni for Pau's piss poor effort.

Our bench and Steve Blake brought us back into the game when Pau was on the bench. There's a reason for that.  Blake and the bench are the reason we were even in this game.

Kaman and Hill are outplaying Gasol at a position he's supposed to be better than both at. 

Can't blame D'antoni for Gasol not stepping up when everyone else on this darn team is playing with heart except him.  

If 11 guys are playing their hearts out, even Shawn freaking Williams whose been buried on the bench the last 2 games was on pace to have a better game than Pau and Pau is the guy that has the most responsibility. 

But people will regardless cause they need a scapegoat.

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#1122 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 981 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:42 PM

If not D'Antoni, then who would be your choice?

Phil Jackson.

Lionel Hollins.

#1123 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,049 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Lionel Hollins nor Phil Jackson will make Pau Gasol man up.    

Problems don't go away till Pau either mans up or gets out of the way.   

All it would do to change coaches is hurt the other 11 guys playing their hearts out for the guy every night.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#1124 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Lionel Hollins nor Phil Jackson will make Pau Gasol man up.    

Problems don't go away till Pau either mans up or gets out of the way.   

All it would do to change coaches is hurt the other 11 guys playing their hearts out for the guy every night.

Serious question:

Do you believe that Mike D'Antoni is the coach to lead any roster that we have to a 17th NBA Championship. 

Again, I'm not saying that this is completely on D'Antoni because I think we all knew (at least I hope most of you knew) that we weren't winning a title this year.  The roster is more to his liking but it's not one that wins NBA titles in this league.  I'm not saying to fire him midseason because it's really irrelevant with this team since they aren't doing anything worth noting this season.

But my concerns are beyond this season.  As much as I disliked Mike Brown, I thought he had the defensive mind to keep the Lakers as contenders.  With D'Antoni, there's nothing in his body of work that suggests he can coach a team to a championship. 

• 40,603 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:55 PM

gradient_mcmenamin_dave_square_normal.jp
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 
D'Antoni asked how he could avoid this kind of loss: "Stay home"

yo.

#1126 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:56 PM

gradient_mcmenamin_dave_square_normal.jp
Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten
D'Antoni asked how he could avoid this kind of loss: "Stay home"

Stay home! We don't want you anyways

Posted Image

#1127 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Serious question:

Do you believe that Mike D'Antoni is the coach to lead any roster that we have to a 17th NBA Championship. 

No. The only coach that has that kind of pedigree in this day is Pop and maybe even Spo. Iiiiii honestly don't see MDA getting the boot after this season either unless maybe Kobe wants him gone...

VN8Tqa1.jpg

#1128 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 981 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:03 PM

No. The only coach that has that kind of pedigree in this day is Pop and maybe even Spo. Iiiiii honestly don't see MDA getting the boot after this season either unless maybe Kobe wants him gone...

Doc Rivers? Rick Charsile? Phil Jackson?

#1129 Jack Lime

Jack Lime

Rookie

• 360 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:07 PM

Doc Rivers? Rick Charsile? Phil Jackson?

Phil was already mentioned. I forgot about Doc and Rick is not in that same class.

VN8Tqa1.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:10 PM

Sorry but Jim Buss going up against Pat Riley when it comes to free agent recruiting isn't going to work.

Not to mention the tax free state advantage over us.

yo.

#1131 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Not to mention the tax free state advantage over us.

Not really that big of an advantage that people make it out to be.  

These players live like gods. Players would much rather live in California or New York than Florida. 

#1132 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,488 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Not really that big of an advantage that people make it out to be.  

These players live like gods. Players would much rather live in California or New York than Florida. 

Lies

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, November 10, 2013 - 10:14 PM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#1133 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:17 PM

Lies

Many players having off-season houses in California says otherwise. 

#1134 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,488 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:18 PM

Many players having off-season houses in California says otherwise. 

lies

#1135 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:19 PM

lies

Okay thanks for your intellectual input on the subject  :laughing:

But seriously, I shouldn't say it as fact.  But in my opinion, players would want to live here over Florida. 

• 40,603 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Lies

lies

You're sounding like Frau Farbissina a bit there.

yo.

#1137 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,488 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 10:20 PM

Okay thanks for your intellectual input on the subject  :laughing:

But seriously, I shouldn't say it as fact.  But in my opinion, players would want to live here over Florida.

yeah I know, they do lol I'm just a Florida boy lol

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, November 10, 2013 - 10:21 PM.

#1138 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,049 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 10, 2013 - 11:01 PM

Serious question:

This roster?   No. 

But neither is Phil.

Do I think that a 70-73 year old Phil Jackson would lead this roster to a championship in any of the next 3 years before Kobe retires?  We would need a very strong roster for that to happen, and in the next 2-3 years prior to Kobe's retirement it would be more on the roster we assemble than the coach of that roster.(to start things)

What I mean by that is, if this roster remained pretty much the same for the next 2-3 years, do you see Phil leading them to a championship?  Do you see Lionel Hollins turning Gasol and Kaman into Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. 

Remember Lionel Hollin's entire offense aside from trying to go through both bigs(which is working wonders for Pau currently...) pretty much had no rules along the perimeter, so guys were always isoing.

When you have shooters on a team like this you want the ball constantly moving, it's the same philosophies Phil would teach and honestly when we have the ball moving it LOOKS like triangle plays(which I'm sure Rambis has sprinkled in)

But the main problem with this team is not the coach, the coach has gotten 11 guys to play their hearts out, and there is one guy that's not.

If the entire team wasn't listening to D'antoni or playing hard for him I'd understand the perspective, but the fact of the matter is everyone is playing their hearts out for him and this organization and the only guy that isn't is Gasol.

It is not like we have a championship roster currently, but what we do have is a team that has the capability to be a dark horse(if Kobe returns healthy) and ONLY IF Gasol steps up.

IF we had Phil it would be the exact same way.  We'd be depending on Pau to step up as well as Kobe to return healthy and we wouldn't get a higher seed.  

Gasol is a bigger problem than D'antoni right now, because every other big is excelling in this system except Pau who is supposed to be the best guy out of the three big men we have.    When 11 guys are playing at a higher level than they have in their careers and putting their heart and soul on the line for this team and ONE guy isn't and it's messing up all the good the other players do, it's the one player more than it is the coach as D'antoni has 11 other guys believing in this. 

The only thing that could be done to fix it is moving Gasol or benching him and we can't afford to do either right now.

Edited by Majesty, November 10, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#1139 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 10, 2013 - 11:09 PM

Do you guys really believe that everyone besides Pau is playing their hearts out though? I think that's being too generous. There are definitely guys like Blake, Nash, Jodie, Xavier, Farmar and Kaman who seem to be taking things seriously but the only guy I see giving maximum effort every night and every minute he's out there on the floor is Hill. If everyone else was really playing their hearts out we would probably be above .500 right now... 

Edited by LakersChamps243, November 10, 2013 - 11:11 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#1140 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted November 10, 2013 - 11:12 PM

This roster?   No. 

But neither is Phil.

Do I think that a 70-73 year old Phil Jackson would lead this roster to a championship in any of the next 3 years before Kobe retires?  We would need a very strong roster for that to happen, and in the next 2-3 years prior to Kobe's retirement it would be more on the roster we assemble than the coach of that roster.(to start things)

What I mean by that is, if this roster remained pretty much the same for the next 2-3 years, do you see Phil leading them to a championship?  Do you see Lionel Hollins turning Gasol and Kaman into Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. 

Remember Lionel Hollin's entire offense aside from trying to go through both bigs(which is working wonders for Pau currently...) pretty much had no rules along the perimeter, so guys were always isoing.

When you have shooters on a team like this you want the ball constantly moving, it's the same philosophies Phil would teach and honestly when we have the ball moving it LOOKS like triangle plays(which I'm sure Rambis has sprinkled in)

But the main problem with this team is not the coach, the coach has gotten 11 guys to play their hearts out, and there is one guy that's not.

If the entire team wasn't listening to D'antoni or playing hard for him I'd understand the perspective, but the fact of the matter is everyone is playing their hearts out for him and this organization and the only guy that isn't is Gasol.

It is not like we have a championship roster currently, but what we do have is a team that has the capability to be a dark horse(if Kobe returns healthy) and ONLY IF Gasol steps up.

IF we had Phil it would be the exact same way.  We'd be depending on Pau to step up as well as Kobe to return healthy and we wouldn't get a higher seed.  

Gasol is a bigger problem than D'antoni right now, because every other big is excelling in this system except Pau who is supposed to be the best guy out of the three big men we have.    When 11 guys are playing at a higher level than they have in their careers and putting their heart and soul on the line for this team and ONE guy isn't and it's messing up all the good the other players do, it's the one player more than it is the coach as D'antoni has 11 other guys believing in this. 

The only thing that could be done to fix it is moving Gasol or benching him and we can't afford to do either right now.

You're not answering the question that I asked.  I never mentioned Phil Jackson so no point to bring him up.

This is about D'Antoni.  We know that no coach is winning a title with this roster.  That's not even up for debate. Put aside Gasol and this team's issues, I'm not talking about the now, I'm talking about the future. 

Do you believe that D'Antoni can lead the Lakers to a title in the next few years? Does D'Antoni have enough as a coach, motivator, and enough ability to thrive in Los Angeles and also have the ability to control egos when need be.  Simply put, does he have the qualities of an NBA championship coach?

I don't see that in D'Antoni.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)