Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,471 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 16, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Lakers 'close' to hiring Kurt Rambis

The Los Angeles Lakers are "close" to hiring Kurt Rambis for their coaching staff, a source with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.

Rambis, an ESPN analyst, has been an assistant coach with the Lakers on and off between 1994 and 2009. He was Phil Jackson's lead assistant for all five of his championships with the Lakers.

Rambis has been seen in Las Vegas, spending time watching summer league games alongside Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni and his brother, Dan.

http://espn.go.com/l...t-rambis-source

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#1062 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Can you hold somebody accountable and say "you didn't get it right with me" if I'm a spoiled brat that didn't give you the chance to coach me for a whole year?

MDA is not my favorite guy in the world, but to blame him for Dwight leaving or telling him it was his fault the, failed from the beginning, experiment, didn't end as expected? That's going a little bit too far.

He's not solely at fault.

But regardless of how much each side is at fault, does it look good for the Lakers that they have a coach who got the least amount of good basketball of any coach that has coached Melo and Dwight? Those guys have looked like superstars under every other coach they played for.

D'Antoni has a terrible reputation around the league. I remember reading that players actually laugh whenever defense is mentioned when talking about MDA.

Posted Image

#1063 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:05 PM

He's not solely at fault.

But regardless of how much each side is at fault, does it look good for the Lakers that they have a coach who got the least amount of good basketball of any coach that has coached Melo and Dwight? Those guys have looked like superstars under every other coach they played for.

D'Antoni has a terrible reputation around the league. I remember reading that players actually laugh whenever defense is mentioned when talking about MDA.

That's why we're getting Kurt Rambis

#1064 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:19 PM

If players don't like MDA, I doubt getting Rambis as an assistant will get major FAs to LA.

Posted Image

#1065 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:41 PM

If players don't like MDA, I doubt getting Rambis as an assistant will get major FAs to LA.

I wouldn't.   

Depends on how we look next year as well.

After Carmelo goes through another year of what Woodson is going to put him through I doubt he's gonna want to stay in New York very long.  The lesser of the two evils would be D'antoni, strictly because we'd be looking at being a deeper team as well as bringing some of the guys we signed this year back.

The Knicks are going to be what they are.  The Lakers will have financial flexibility to form this team the way they'd want to and bring it here.

As well as the fact D'antoni isn't really in power here, look at some of the decisions being made, such as Rambis being the defensive coordinator and Madsen being called in as an assistant, those are Phil guys not D'antoni guys.

That picture I posted with Kobe and D'antoni is pretty much in a nutshell what would happen.

Kobe says he would play Carmelo as a power forward, you think D'antoni is gonna tell Kobe "no" on that?

Kobe's idea was the change the offense and run it with Nash off ball and D'antoni went along with it because he wanted to keep his job. 

D'antoni is willing to try any idea as long as it keeps him here. 

Carmelo wouldn't have any problems with him.   Also lets not forget the perceived "problem" between Jordan Hill and Mike D'antoni.   But when it came down to play time, he picked Jordan Hill over Antawn Jamison(the stretch 4 everyone would assume D'antoni would prefer) 

I think that spoke volumes that if Jordan Hill never got injured, Jamison would have been relegated Mike Miller Rashard Lewis status on this team and that's with Mike D'antoni as coach. 

So I doubt that he would scare Carmelo away especially if Carmelo is looking at going back to a Knicks team that has no intention of playing him at his best position, is financially screwed cause of Stoudamire's contract, and has a coach that would pull a deeper bench leading a comeback to throw in an injured Carmelo to finish a game when down by 10 and force Carmelo to play the 3 and keeping Stoudamire who hadn't played half a year the 4.

Their defensive numbers also wound up pretty much where ours were, the only difference the Knicks had from us was they had better three point shooters and JR Smith coming off the bench.

But Woodson looked just as lost in the playoffs and still couldn't call a right play to save his life and made so many mistakes considering what he had.

I think at the end of the day the lesser of two evils is D'antoni.   Mike Woodson basically ran his system but when it came down to crunch time and actually having to coach it, he looked just as lost if not more so than D'antoni and made some of the stupidest coaching decisions I've ever seen in the playoffs.     I'd even say D'antoni > Woodson from what I saw this year.

"We're like the Lakers except we play defense."   yeah... right :laughing:

If you can't tell..after watching the Knicks this year.. I don't like Woodson aka "just for men beard gel" very much.

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#1066 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:57 PM

Melo hated MDA by the time he left NY. I think it was much worse than Dwight's feelings towards MDA. That whole thing was a huge story throughout that season.

There's absolutely nothing I've read that suggests his relationship with Woodson is anywhere near as bad as his relationship is with MDA. And, MDA runs his players to the ground too.

Posted Image

#1067 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Melo hated MDA by the time he left NY. I think it was much worse than Dwight's feelings towards MDA. That whole thing was a huge story throughout that season.

There's absolutely nothing I've read that suggests his relationship with Woodson is anywhere near as bad as his relationship is with MDA. And, MDA runs his players to the ground too.

Just because it isn't on the internet doesn't mean Carmelo doesn't appreciate the way Woodson plays him.

#1068 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Just because it isn't on the internet doesn't mean Carmelo doesn't appreciate the way Woodson plays him.

Well, we can really only rely on reporters and their sources for hearing about things like this. Some reporters are more reliable than others, but they're really the only ones who can get info like that. Any report can be wrong, but I doubt something that's been reported as widely as Melo's dislike for MDA is wrong.

It's a stretch to come to the conclusion that Melo hates Woodson(when there's been no reports about it) more than D'Antoni(which has been pretty well reported). I don't see how you can come to that conclusion when Melo has had more individual success and the Knicks have had more team success under Woodson than under MDA.

Edited by Japago, July 16, 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image

#1069 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,138 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Everyone hates MDA tho. Unless your name is Steve Nash

#1070 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,166 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Everyone hates MDA tho. Unless your name is Steve Nash

or that one dude that started the Mike D'Antoni appreciation thread

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#1071 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted July 16, 2013 - 07:50 PM

or that one dude that started the Mike D'Antoni appreciation thread

Posted Image

• 40,416 posts

Posted July 18, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Jason Lloyd: Lakers, of course, are in process of filling out D'Antoni's staff. Kupchak more interested in #Cavs & Spurs coaches than any player on floor Twitter @JasonLloydABJ

yo.

#1073 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,167 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted July 19, 2013 - 07:39 AM

Good, I want some of Pop guys 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#1074 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,166 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 06:29 PM

Bump........

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#1075 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,166 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:16 PM

I would not be surprised if Mike D'Antoni would be relieved from his duties soon, and giving the keys to Rambis. This team is not showing improvement. We all know he is going to get fired in the off-season. There is no way that free agents are going to come here if he is our head coach. This season was suppose to be a season where we develop our talent, and get the best from our guys. Our guys show no heart, energy, and consistency. I am not saying it will happen during the season, but I would just not be surprised.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#1076 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,523 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:24 PM

What? He won't go the way of the Mike Brown!

MMiRi9s.png

#1077 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,551 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:28 PM

I would not be surprised if Mike D'Antoni would be relieved from his duties soon, and giving the keys to Rambis. This team is not showing improvement. We all know he is going to get fired in the off-season. There is no way that free agents are going to come here if he is our head coach. This season was suppose to be a season where we develop our talent, and get the best from our guys. Our guys show no heart, energy, and consistency. I am not saying it will happen during the season, but I would just not be surprised.

I won't be surprised if it happens during the year, but I expect it to happen in February or later if it does happen.

#1078 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 07:46 PM

:laughing:

Posted Image

#1079 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 868 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Won't be surprised if tonight was his last game as coach.

#1080 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,471 posts

Posted November 05, 2013 - 08:02 PM

D'antoni on why the team was forced to shooting jumpers tonight

Because it's not like we had a force inside that was giving them something to think about.

Ouch Pau.

Edited by Majesty, November 05, 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users