Photo

Mike D'Antoni has resigned as Lakers Head Coach

Mike DAntoni MDA coach

• Please log in to reply
3708 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 15, 2013 - 04:08 PM

3v6vuf.jpg

He's got a Batiatus from Spartacus like pose there.

yo.

#1042 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 16, 2013 - 05:01 AM

Apart from him not being a good coach, I'm scared that he'll scare off free agents next off-season. He clashed with the last 2 superstars he coached who were in their prime (Carmelo and Dwight). Melo will be one of the players the Lakers try to sign too. I really doubt he gives serious consideration to the Lakers with MDA still here.

Posted Image

#1043 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,175 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 12:23 PM

Apart from him not being a good coach, I'm scared that he'll scare off free agents next off-season. He clashed with the last 2 superstars he coached who were in their prime (Carmelo and Dwight). Melo will be one of the players the Lakers try to sign too. I really doubt he gives serious consideration to the Lakers with MDA still here.

I am sure he will likely get fired after this season.

Edited by Admiral General Aladeen, July 16, 2013 - 12:23 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#1044 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,224 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 16, 2013 - 01:46 PM

So coaches doesn't want to work with MDA and players doesn't want to play for MDA.  What is he good for?  How the hell do MDA always get jobs in the NBA?  Now he is coaching the best NBA franchise in the history of the NBA.  Talk about being one lucky mo fo.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#1045 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,224 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 01:48 PM

I hope that same day next year there will not be an MDA thread in Lakersnation at all because he will be out of our very lives. 

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#1046 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 16, 2013 - 01:49 PM

Lakers moving "closer" in discussions with Kurt Rambis, source says.

#1047 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,224 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Lakers moving "closer" in discussions with Kurt Rambis as lakers next head coach during mid season, source says.

fixed...

#1048 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,602 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 16, 2013 - 01:56 PM

Lakers moving "closer" in discussions with Kurt Rambis, source says.

Nice :)

Side note, Ramona is such a sweet individual.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#1049 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:00 PM

While nobody is demanding Kurt Rambis to be their coach, I think it would be a huge improvement just by the fact that it isn't MDA in terms of attracting FAs. Kevin McHale hasn't had a great history as a head coach, and neither did Spoelstra at the time the Heat's big 3 got together.

Melo and Dwight didn't just not get along with MDA. They really had major issues with him. I can't imagine NBA players not noticing that.

Posted Image

#1050 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:12 PM

While nobody is demanding Kurt Rambis to be their coach, I think it would be a huge improvement just by the fact that it isn't MDA in terms of attracting FAs. Kevin McHale hasn't had a great history as a head coach, and neither did Spoelstra at the time the Heat's big 3 got together.

Melo and Dwight didn't just not get along with MDA. They really had major issues with him. I can't imagine NBA players not noticing that.

Dwight's problems with MDA would have been problems with ANYONE on the coaching staff that held him accountable.

He refused to run pick and rolls with Nash and Kobe because of his own personal vendetta to prove he could be a post up center more than he was in Orlando and he refused to cooperate or set hard screens and would often leave Nash out to dry by never moving and rather just standing waving his arms for an impossible pass from Nash or Kobe as opposed to MOVING to get in position for one.

Ding wrote a very great article about noticing Howard was refusing to even try to pick and roll. 

Dwight would have had the same issues with Phil if it didn't get him the touches he wanted or he wasn't the main star of the offense or was expected to run pick and roll.

I can nearly guarantee that if we didn't make the finals under Phil, be it through injury or players still adjusting to the system, Dwight would have left in free agency and said "well the triangle just ain't for me, I think Houston is the better place." 

As far as Carmelo goes he has said recently that his relationship with D'antoni is a good one.

Now whether he did it to save face or not we will see.

But I can tell you one thing, he probably hates Woodson far more right now.  

When Carmelo was injured and in pain on the sidelines and had tried to play earlier but couldn't and the Knicks bench started rallying a comeback Woodson stopped the comeback and put Carmelo back in while they were still down 10 despite the fact Carmelo was in pain and could barely get up and down the court but Woodson pulled everyone that was behind the run and put Carmelo in and said "go win the game."

He also did the same thing in the playoffs when Copeland was starting to heat up against the Pacers and the Knicks were coming back, Stoudamire was out there but doing nothing.

Woodson PULLS Copeland, to put Carmelo in, and leaves Stoudamire in forcing Carmelo to play the 3 again rather than running Copeland at the 3 and Carmelo at the 4.

Stuff like that as well as the other faux pas during the season makes me think if it came down to playing for Woodson or playing for D'antoni again(a D'antoni who is at the whim of whatever Kobe Bryant says)  he'll choose Coach Kobe.

#1051 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,242 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Rambis would help. I don't think though he should end up being our head coach in the future. He really stunk it up as a head coach in the past. 

#1052 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,717 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:17 PM

Come on, Rambis.

MMiRi9s.png

• 40,431 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:18 PM

Any chance we can bring on Lionel Hollins and George Karl?

yo.

#1054 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:27 PM

The Knicks have had much more success under Woodson than they did under MDA. They were in danger of missing the playoffs when he was coach, and then made a run to get into the playoffs immediately after they replaced MDA with Woodson. There's been no reports about Melo really clashing with Woodson either. It was very widely reported that Melo absolutely loathed MDA when he was playing under him. Some people thought he quit on him. I really doubt he wants to play for him again.

Same thing with Dwight. He may have his own issues, but those are the kind of egos you have to deal with. I find it interesting that he's so straightforward about his distaste for MDA. You rarely see that. He wasn't that way with Stan Van Gundy. He also denied Kobe playing a role in him leaving, even if he did admit that he clashed with him at times. But, he's candid about his distaste for MDA. Did you see his interview with Stephen A Smith? His reaction when asked about Phil Jackson said a lot.

Edited by Japago, July 16, 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Posted Image

#1055 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,242 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:30 PM

Theres no rush for Rambis and the lakers to make a deal. Camp isn't for a while and rambis is just probably mulling things over. He has been helping coaching the summer league a bit I heard so maybe he wants to get some time in and see how he feel about it. I would say he signs. 

#1056 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:41 PM

Same thing with Dwight. He may have his own issues, but those are the kind of egos you have to deal with.

Some people are unreachable.

And a guy that refuses to run or commit to pick and rolls with Nash or Kobe and costs his team because of his non committal attitude and a guy that would have the nerve to call Steve Nash a bad teammate when Nash was doing everything in his power to make it work with Dwight who could care less what Nash or Kobe was trying was telling.  And then when Dwight said that he's still a winner even if he never gets a ring just says all that needs to be said. 

Nothing short of a ring would have kept Dwight here, and for all the wrong reasons.  We considering all our injuries and circumstances likely wouldn't have won a ring last year even with Phil, and regardless of how successful we were Dwight I think was gone anyway especially considering what he's said before and after and how his teammates didn't have any confidence in him returning and ultimately seem unmoved by it. 

So if Dwight was that way with D'antoni who held him accountable some of the time.. how the heck would he have reacted to a guy like Phil poking him in his chest and telling him to man up and telling him what he needs to learn to master and getting in his face if he had that passive attitude?

Yeah Dwight would have been gone then too I'm willing to bet.   He wouldn't have appreciated how Phil would make him look in the mirror at his own problems.   Because in Dwight's mind he is never part of the problem it's the front office, or the coach, or his teammates but never him.  And now he has a coach that says it will be his own fault if Dwight isn't dominating.  He wants a coach that won't hold him accountable or make him look in the mirror, and now he's got it.

#1057 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Dwight had success with a roster and system he believed in when the Magic made the finals and the ECF. I'm not saying Dwight isn't at fault for last year, but it's hard to play well when you don't believe in the coach and roster.

We're getting away from my main point though:

MDA couldn't make it work with 2 superstars in their prime. That's the main part that will turn major FAs away from truly considering LA. Maybe Melo and Dwight have their own issues, but they were at their worst under MDA. We're talking about 2 players that have had sustained individual success. I think other players will notice that too.

Edited by Japago, July 16, 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Posted Image

#1058 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Dwight had success with a roster and system he believed in when the Magic made the finals and the ECF. I'm not saying Dwight isn't at fault for last year, but it's hard to play well when you don't believe in the coach and roster.

We're getting away from my main point though:

MDA couldn't make it work with 2 superstars in their prime. That's the main part that will turn major FAs away from truly considering LA. Maybe Melo and Dwight have their own issues, but they were at their worst under MDA. We're talking about 2 players that have had sustained individual success. I think other players will notice that too.

Can you hold somebody accountable and say "you didn't get it right with me" if I'm a spoiled brat that didn't give you the chance to coach me for a whole year?

MDA is not my favorite guy in the world, but to blame him for Dwight leaving or telling him it was his fault the, failed from the beginning, experiment, didn't end as expected? That's going a little bit too far.

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#1059 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,602 posts

Posted July 16, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Can you hold somebody accountable and say "you didn't get it right with me" if I'm a spoiled brat that didn't give you the chance to coach me for a whole year?

MDA is not my favorite guy in the world, but to blame him for Dwight leaving or telling him it was his fault the, failed from the beginning, experiment, didn't end as expected? That's going a little bit too far.

Even Steve Nash can't stand the guy now and it's STEVE NASH the ultimate team guy

Steve Nash on Dwight Howard: "If he doesn’t want to be here, we don’t want someone who’s unhappy." #lakers

Empty as it felt for Lakers fans last season, consider how disappointing it was for a guy whose true gift is to bring a team together. #nash

Imagine how after everything Nash went through and played through cause he wanted to help us, especially all the frustrations dealing with the guy that he had to sit down after the season and have that same guy tell him he's a bad teammate.....

The more and more the stories come out the less I blame D'antoni for Dwight being a problem.

now I DO hold everything else against him(taking so long to play Nash off ball etc) but Dwight....Dwight was just a problem in general this year, you could feel it in the air every freaking game had a negative energy, even on this forum there was so much negative energy going on.

Ever since Dwight left haven't you all noticed that the forum has been a little more easy going and even the atmosphere around the Lakers is less stressful and negative?   That's cause Dwight left and took it to Houston.

Anyway I can't blame D'antoni for that.

I blame him for taking so long to realize what in his system didn't work but as far as Dwight goes.. I don't think he was reachable as he'd already made his mind up.  

Note: He also would make bets with teammates throughout the season and would tell them "I'll pay you next season" with a smile.. and then he leaves the team in this off-season... says enough about where his mind was.

But back to D'antoni, I can blame him for a lot and do blame him for a lot, but after all the stories that have come out about DH lately, I don't hold him as accountable for that.  I don't think even Phil would have reached him, and probably would have pushed him worse cause Phil would REQUIRE he look in the mirror and see what the problem was.. himself.

Edited by Majesty, July 16, 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#1060 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,643 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted July 16, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Lakers should also hire Ron Adams instead of Johnny Davis.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users