• Please log in to reply
3708 replies to this topic

#961 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,518 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Can't argue there. We've seen this before though. "Mike Brown is going to be our coach going forward" then like the next morning he was fired.

They did, but they also got us CP3 and potentially Howard in a move that would have saved us a ton of salary somehow after we just got swept.

Then they flipped Bynum in a 4 team trade for Howard, and somehow got us Nash. Clearly this season was a fail but really who didn't go into last season thinking we were going to be unstoppable?

The last 2 years may not have worked out for us, but this front office knows how to make moves that no one else could possibly see and they're always trying to win. No one spends 100 million (without the taxes) on a team they think will lose. 

Yea but nash ended up sucking and always injured. Dwights probably gonna leave and we did in fact spend 100 mill + taxes for a 7 seed team that got knocked out first round. Spending a lot of money doesn't mean they did a good job necessarily. Them giving pau a huge contract was another huge mistake. I mean if they somehow pull something out of there ass here then yea fine all is forgiven but at this rate were gonna be a mediocre team for a while now. 

#962 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,380 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Yea but nash ended up sucking and always injured. Dwights probably gonna leave and we did in fact spend 100 mill + taxes for a 7 seed team that got knocked out first round. Spending a lot of money doesn't mean they did a good job necessarily. Them giving pau a huge contract was another huge mistake. I mean if they somehow pull something out of there ass here then yea fine all is forgiven but at this rate were gonna be a mediocre team for a while now. 

The Pau contract thing is hindsight. If he left because we didn't give him a contract back in the day there would have been a riot. That was also before the new CBA btw.

And I'm not saying spending money means you have a good team. It clearly didn't this year. I'm just saying I trust this FO to do everything they can to try to make us the best team out there. The past 2 off seasons are living proof of it. Unfortunately it just has not translated to anything positive in the season. 

#963 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,485 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:31 AM

Well since everyone is [expletive]ing taken. Might as well fire this [expletive] a to the sap

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#964 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,232 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Scott Skiles

#965 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,027 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Guys I am telling your right now...and I told you over a month ago.... the Lakers are not allowing MDA to hire assistants outside of player development coaches.  From what I hear, the offer out there for Gentry was to appease MDA for the time being and the Lakers knew it was so small that any other team wanting to hire Gentry would win because of the lowball offer from the Lakers.  

It is not coincidence that Nate McMillan just accepted an assistant coaching gig with the Pacers.  He is good friends with MDA and would have taken an assistant coaching position with the Lakers if a feasible offer was made.  Nate knows what is going on and I am sure MDA is  telling him, "Hey dude I dont think I will be here in a month, take another job".

MDA will not be with us by the end of next week.  Just saying...

Where did you get this information? Not saying I don't believe you or anything haha, that in my eyes is pretty good news. Just curious.

#966 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 388 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:41 AM

Whether or not the Lakers get the assistant coaches we want, I don't see it making much of a difference. How often have championships been attributed to assistant coaches? I can only think of Thibs when he was in Boston. Outside of that, nothing.

#967 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,232 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:42 AM

BNx92doCUAA6uAk.png

#968 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Where did you get this information? Not saying I don't believe you or anything haha, that in my eyes is pretty good news. Just curious.

While I won't name names, I have several friends and a couple of family members working in the LA area.  Specifically there are a couple of artists that I know at Reel FX who are good friends with executives at Relativity and have spoken directly with Dwight before.  My family members both work as auditors for a unnamed company that the Lakers accounting staff uses. They catch wind of a lot of front office stuff, but never anything concrete - more just kind of crumbs and dust trails.

Most of the time when I am in LA and get to chat with them, it is just hearsay that I never really consider as worthwhile.  But this year a lot of information has been pretty accurate.  And with everything they told me about in May about the coaching freeze and the consideration to drop MDA as early as February...I am inclined to believe them.  I have even heard the Lakers are trying to fabricate a position out of nothing for Phil in the FO just as a way to placate to Dwight.

#969 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,027 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:00 AM

While I won't name names, I have several friends and a couple of family members working in the LA area.  Specifically there are a couple of artists that I know at Reel FX who are good friends with executives at Relativity and have spoken directly with Dwight before.  My family members both work as auditors for a unnamed company that the Lakers accounting staff uses. They catch wind of a lot of front office stuff, but never anything concrete - more just kind of crumbs and dust trails.

Most of the time when I am in LA and get to chat with them, it is just hearsay that I never really consider as worthwhile.  But this year a lot of information has been pretty accurate.  And with everything they told me about in May about the coaching freeze and the consideration to drop MDA as early as February...I am inclined to believe them.  I have even heard the Lakers are trying to fabricate a position out of nothing for Phil in the FO just as a way to placate to Dwight.

Thanks. I have to approach everything not straight from a well-known source with some degree of skepticism, but please keep us posted with any updates you hear. Everything you're saying definitely makes sense. 

#970 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:08 AM

Thanks. I have to approach everything not straight from a well-known source with some degree of skepticism, but please keep us posted with any updates you hear. Everything you're saying definitely makes sense. 

Yeah I would never post anything that I didn't think was worthwhile, but most of the friends and family I have in LA are fairly well networked with high executives and stars.  

I think the time to really pull all of our hair out is when the Lakers announce a hiring of a real assistant coach...not a PD coach (those are universal and arent dependent on the head coach), but an assistant like a Gentry or McMillan.  If that happens, something must have changed dramatically in the FO and MDA will be our coach next season...

Until then, my understanding is that Phil will indeed take an official position within the Lakers org and we will see a new headcoach and assistants picked with Phil's input.

#971 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,784 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:10 AM

^

Welp,Madsen just got hired. 

Edited by Dr. Jekyll, June 27, 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Impossible is nothing.

#972 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:14 AM

^

Welp,Madsen just got hired. 

First sign that Phil is returning...soon.

#973 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,356 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Without Shaw, if Phil would return, he could very well keep a guy like Madsen on the staff.

But we'll see.  Not overly optimistic right now. 

#974 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Wow everyone needs to just take a chill pill for a second...  

Seriously Madsen is more of a PJ guy, than a MDA guy.  If anything, I think Madsen is going to be another Shaw for Phil.  Someone he coached previously, has a great work ethic, brain and personality.  

This almost wreaks of Phil.

#975 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

Pineapple winner!

• 1,784 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:20 AM

Lol,I wrote something similar in Madsen topic.

Impossible is nothing.

#976 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,485 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Phil save us please

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#977 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 10:33 AM

While I won't name names, I have several friends and a couple of family members working in the LA area. Specifically there are a couple of artists that I know at Reel FX who are good friends with executives at Relativity and have spoken directly with Dwight before. My family members both work as auditors for a unnamed company that the Lakers accounting staff uses. They catch wind of a lot of front office stuff, but never anything concrete - more just kind of crumbs and dust trails.

Most of the time when I am in LA and get to chat with them, it is just hearsay that I never really consider as worthwhile. But this year a lot of information has been pretty accurate. And with everything they told me about in May about the coaching freeze and the consideration to drop MDA as early as February...I am inclined to believe them. I have even heard the Lakers are trying to fabricate a position out of nothing for Phil in the FO just as a way to placate to Dwight.

More inclined to believe you than Amico or Broussard

I guess
Posted Image

#978 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,767 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:14 AM

Without Shaw, if Phil would return, he could very well keep a guy like Madsen on the staff.

But we'll see.  Not overly optimistic right now. 

Knows the Triangle.  Smart.  Seems more like a Triangle Assistant than a Run&Gun Assistant.

#979 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Zankyou no Terror

• 8,413 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:35 AM

BNx92doCUAA6uAk.png

Now that is a convincing banner.

MMiRi9s.png

#980 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 779 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted June 27, 2013 - 11:39 AM

The Lakers have always said they want to have the last word with D12. He can listen to all the other offers and promises, but they know they hold the trump card. He will walk into the meeting and Mitch will only have to say two words: Phil Motherfkn Jackson (ok that's three words)

The reason I think Phil would be interested in coming back is knowing there will be all that cap room after next year and he will be able to have a voice in personnel and he knows free agents would LOVE to come play for him and Dwight.

Edited by avcpl, June 27, 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users