3708 replies to this topic

#941 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:33 AM

This has become pretty suspenseful, it's like after all this you have to anticipate him getting fired. But also because it has taken this long and under all the circumstances, nothing yet.

Although assistants wouldn't matter much anyway, I agree in the fact that if they were completely sold on him they would've gotten these guys. But the D12/MDA dilemma probably has the FO waiting on something.

#942 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:35 AM

Guys I am telling your right now...and I told you over a month ago.... the Lakers are not allowing MDA to hire assistants outside of player development coaches.  From what I hear, the offer out there for Gentry was to appease MDA for the time being and the Lakers knew it was so small that any other team wanting to hire Gentry would win because of the lowball offer from the Lakers.  

It is not coincidence that Nate McMillan just accepted an assistant coaching gig with the Pacers.  He is good friends with MDA and would have taken an assistant coaching position with the Lakers if a feasible offer was made.  Nate knows what is going on and I am sure MDA is  telling him, "Hey dude I dont think I will be here in a month, take another job".

MDA will not be with us by the end of next week.  Just saying...

#943 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:37 AM

Guys I am telling your right now...and I told you over a month ago.... the Lakers are not allowing MDA to hire assistants outside of player development coaches.  From what I hear, the offer out there for Gentry was to appease MDA for the time being and the Lakers knew it was so small that any other team wanting to hire Gentry would win because of the lowball offer from the Lakers.  

It is not coincidence that Nate McMillan just accepted an assistant coaching gig with the Pacers.  He is good friends with MDA and would have taken an assistant coaching position with the Lakers if a feasible offer was made.  Nate knows what is going on and I am sure MDA is  telling him, "Hey dude I dont think I will be here in a month, take another job".

It's looking more and more that way. I told my dad about this exact thing and even he said that was very interesting to consider because it could be true. 

#944 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,712 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:42 AM

My thoughts as well. That offer was all for show. Its either they are waiting for something. Idk what or they really just cant get good assistants. I really hope it means he's getting fired. 

#945 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Although as well as hard as is to say, because the Clippers and Pacers are poised to be very competitive next season, these respective coaches just were more interested in those prospects where currently we are as dysfunctional as possible.

#946 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Here is what I said on May 23rd in this thread: 

Remember back right after the Lakers season ended, and there were multiple reports that D'Antoni was going to be hiring a defensive assistant?  

Well there are some interesting rumors swirling (some speculation, some from within the organization) around right now that Jim Buss actually was OK with letting MDA go towards the end of the season, but backpedaled after they closed the season on a good note. 

Then, after Kobe's injury, Mitch gave Mike the "vote of confidence" (yeah right coughMikeBrowncough) that he was going to be around and that he could hire defensive assistants. 

Here is where things get goofy...apparently there is a relative [expletive] show going on in Laker management right now with Jeanie trying to make a power play.  Mitch Kupchak (rumors again) has told MDA to freeze all coaching searches for assistants - it is why we are hearing of all these current Lakers staffers going elsewhere - and NO RUMORS of replacements yet. 

This is predicated on 2 things: Dwight's pending FA and the average price season ticket holders are willing to pay is going DOWN.  

Jeanie is working very, very closely with Jim right now on figuring out how to best keep Dwight Howard, and Phil Jackson's recent media rampage is not coincidence.  Jim is APPARENTLY WILLING to let go of MDA as we approach the first week of July.  He will not let MDA go before then though.

Again, the biggest thing for fans to watch right now is the HIRING OF NEW ASSISTANTS.  From what I hear, as long as this internal battle is going on in the FO, hiring is on freeze.  The freeze will end with either new assistants for MDA or new assistants for Phil.

Good news? Bad news? Well hell, I don't even know if this is news. But I said I was 100% sure that MDA would be back, but from what I hear...Jim & Jeanie are working out other plans.

Nate McMillan and Gentry are just the next pieces to fall.  Do you guys honestly believe that a good friend of MDA and an assistant Olympic coach and previous NBA head coach would be passed over by the Lakers if they had intent to keep MDA?

I need to go thank my friends for being real with me and updating me.

#947 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:51 AM

I don't think the Dwight reports are about him wanting to leave...if that were the case, he could just stay quiet and bounce.  I think he's trying to mark his territory NOW, before the Lakers make a pitch to him, set the bar high for all other suitors, including HOU, and clear out "obstacles"...

Kobe has to know that this is now Dwight's team.

MDA has to know that he's not wanted.

If I were MDA, I'd quit.  I wouldn't want to be responsible for Dwight leaving.  Kobe's injury has put his dominance in perspective for many...I for one thought Kobe should have taken a backseat to Dwight immediately to prevent this scenario long before now...

I seriously doubt that if we bring in Phil, Dwight leaves...it's almost a given that he'd sign on for that...and that Phil would get the most out of an aging Kobe, Dwight, Nash and Pau...

#948 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,933 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Buckle up.  Gonna be an exciting week-end post-draft. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#949 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,712 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:54 AM

Buckle up.  Gonna be an exciting week-end post-draft. 

tumblr_md1jqpAtlp1rwbhjg.gif

#950 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:58 AM

Agree with GCMD on this.

Like it or not, the Clippers made this situation worse for the Lakers.   The Clippers are doing the things necessary to keep Chris Paul, which Dwight Howard sees and he wants to feel that power as well. 

#951 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,488 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 08:59 AM

I know you're just some dude on a message board but this sounds like a very educated guess. 

A lot of people here fail to realize, but our front office isn't dumb. 

#952 Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett

Rookie

• 134 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:00 AM

After the events of the last two days, I'm beginning to believe Phil Jackson and his staff will be coaching the Lakers in 2013-14.

#953 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,712 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:01 AM

After the events of the last two days, I'm beginning to believe Phil Jackson and his staff will be coaching the Lakers in 2013-14.

I doubt it would be phil. I firmly believe phil is done with coaching. He continues to say he has no interest and after last years events idk why he would want to be a coach for the lakers. 

#954 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:02 AM

I know you're just some dude on a message board but this sounds like a very educated guess. 

We're about to find out if that's the case. 

Because all indications have been that D'Antoni is our coach moving forward.  If he stays and Dwight walks, there's no denying that it would be an epically dumb mistake by our front office. 

#955 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,712 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:03 AM

Idk they did hire MDA over Phil. 

#956 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:03 AM

I doubt it would be phil. I firmly believe phil is done with coaching. He continues to say he has no interest and after last years events idk why he would want to be a coach for the lakers. 

Coach and Vice President of Basketball Operations is a title that would make Phil Jackson coach. 

What Doc Rivers got is what Phil has wanted. 

#957 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:08 AM

McMillan is gone...WTF no assistants now lol

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#958 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:10 AM

McMillan is gone...WTF no assistants now lol

D'Antoni's dog walker is available.  His personal chef has also expressed interest.  We'll be okay! 

#959 Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett

Rookie

• 134 posts
  • Fan Since:1985

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Coach and Vice President of Basketball Operations is a title that would make Phil Jackson coach. 

What Doc Rivers got is what Phil has wanted. 

Correct. When I said "the events of the last 2 days," I meant Rivers, Gentry, Dwight, and McMillan.

#960 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,488 posts

Posted June 27, 2013 - 09:13 AM

We're about to find out if that's the case. 

Because all indications have been that D'Antoni is our coach moving forward.  If he stays and Dwight walks, there's no denying that it would be an epically dumb mistake by our front office. 

Can't argue there. We've seen this before though. "Mike Brown is going to be our coach going forward" then like the next morning he was fired.

Idk they did hire MDA over Phil. 

They did, but they also got us CP3 and potentially Howard in a move that would have saved us a ton of salary somehow after we just got swept.

Then they flipped Bynum in a 4 team trade for Howard, and somehow got us Nash. Clearly this season was a fail but really who didn't go into last season thinking we were going to be unstoppable?

The last 2 years may not have worked out for us, but this front office knows how to make moves that no one else could possibly see and they're always trying to win. No one spends 100 million (without the taxes) on a team they think will lose. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)