Amazes me how coaches are given stacked rosters but don't do ANYTHING with them

#902 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yep yet when you look back on it, Mike Brown had the right system, he just didn't know how to coach it properly but he KNEW what the team needed.

Remember he was the film guy and the assistant so he is good at those type of things.  He knew the style that would benefit the team the most, implementing it was just what he was having trouble with. 

D'antoni on the other hand completely threw it out.

I watched back some old games of ours and in the pre-season of us running that offense, and when I think about it, we got a lot of easy shots, and when we didn't get lost on plays we looked pretty good.

Was a LOT better than what D'antoni tried to have us run through mid january.

Mike Brown AND Mike D'Antoni are both clueless coaches who hid behind their superstars.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#903 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,054 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Mike Brown AND Mike D'Antoni are both clueless coaches who hid behind their superstars.

You could say virtually the same thing about coaches who constantly lost till "star player" got there.

Mike Brown had the perfect system in place in Cleveland in a team that was built perfectly around LeBron James.   it wasn't till he got there that they started winning games and the proper team was being built around him for the style they wanted to run.

Mike Brown also knew what kind of style we SHOULD have ran this year.  He was the first guy that said Nash should be off ball and not running pick and roll and he was bashing D'antoni's offense way before it was "cool" and was hated for his opinion on it but people were so intent on wanting to see him fired they'd disagree with common sense cause they were blinded by hate for the guy despite the fact he was right on the button and this season proved that to the most extreme.   Everyone was complaining that he wouldn't run pick and roll mainly with Nash, guess what, we ran that from Late November, December till mid january with the VERY coach that ran that style... what happened?   Looks like the "clueless" coach knew more than we gave him credit for.

Mike Brown may not have known how to implement a style that wasn't his(It was Eddie Jordan's) but it didn't stop him from knowing what style fit us most. 

The wrong coaching style for us?  Yes.  Clueless?  Definitely not.  He figured out before the season started what it took D'antoni 3 months to figure out during the darn season.

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 09:12 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#904 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,121 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:16 PM

At least mike brown worked hard. Tried. Listened to players. Antoni is just terrible

#905 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,054 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:22 PM

At least mike brown worked hard. Tried. Listened to players. Antoni is just terrible

yes, this is very important, he worked hard but also was willing to listen to his players.

Let's not forget he stayed up with Kobe going over the offense and ways they could improve it or simplify it as well as him taking some of the reigns off his coaching style. 

Mike Brown was a coach that really did care about his players and wanted them to be in their comfort zones so he would compromise for them, he didn't have the "huge ego" that it would take 10 losses to change his style.  He also would come to blows with people that would foul our players hard :laughing:  

His coaching style wasn't right, but like I said, that's what him and Kobe were talking about working on, he also required players push it 150% in practice.    He is a much better coach than D'antoni is, and he was also more willing to make the compromises necessary to equal victories for us sooner rather than later, but the front office fired him before we could see what changes him and Kobe had made.

Let's not forget that he was also running triangle plays for Dwight Pau and Kobe sets to score on offense.

Nash is off ball, Kobe is facilitating, triangle play...  

Hindsight is 20/20 but dang I wish we'd seen the simplified version! >_<

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#906 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:48 PM

Had Brown simplified it instead over coaching, he might still be here.

#907 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,054 posts

Posted June 25, 2013 - 09:59 PM

Had Brown simplified it instead over coaching, he might still be here.

agreed 100%.   Unfortunate thing is, if we go by what Kobe said and what they were talking about.  He seemed on the verge of loosening the reigns a bit on over coaching, but unfortunately, was fired before we'd have known.

There's silver linings, I guess because we'd likely never have discovered Clark under Brown, but yet the bad side is that in order to discover Clark both Dwight and Pau were injured X_X  So it's not really THAT much of a silver lining I guess :laughing:

I will say this.

Brown WOULD have pulled Kobe in that Warriors game. 

If we'd lost everyone would have hated him for it and made a bunch of "Sub" memes' and calls for his head would have been made  But he would have pulled Kobe even if it cost us the win and if we'd been running the simplified princeton with the triangle we probably aren't in dire need of a win at that point of the season anyway.

of course that's me speculating, but I think we'd have had the better season if we'd stuck with him and saw the simplifying of the offense and the reigns let go of.

One of the reasons we had to make that late season run wasn't because of the losses under Brown early, those were still come backable.

it was the losses in December through mid January while trying to run D'antoni's system that lead to a lot of our losses that we had to come back from.  THAT was where we dug the hole. 

So even if we'd continued to struggle and gone 2-6 to start the season under Brown we probably are in a better place by Christmas than we were with D'antoni.

Edited by Majesty, June 25, 2013 - 10:03 PM.

#908 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 10:43 PM

lol I can't take your post seriously you could write most of your posts with a paragraph but instead there are 5-6.

They're both mediocre coaches. That's that. They never won a championship because of that. They both had the tool too.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#909 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,325 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 25, 2013 - 11:42 PM

Source: Alvin Gentry to pick team

Former Phoenix Suns coach Alvin Gentry will soon decide between an offer to be an assistant coach on Mike D'Antoni's staff with the Los Angeles Lakers and an invitation to be an associate head coach on Doc Rivers' new staff with the Los Angeles Clippers, a source with knowledge of the situation told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Tuesday night.

http://espn.go.com/l...ngeles-clippers

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#910 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,461 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted June 25, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Really? Is this really a tough decision for him? :laughing:
iyjywo.jpg

#911 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted June 26, 2013 - 12:02 AM

Alvin Gentry's not even that good of a defensive coach. The 2010 Suns didn't play defense very well. 

#912 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted June 26, 2013 - 12:12 AM

Really? Is this really a tough decision for him? :laughing:

I'd pick the Clippers. I'm gonna get fired from the Lakers staff in about a year and will be looking for a job again. So yeah it would be an easy decision for me. 

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#913 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,353 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted June 26, 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hire Scott Skiles and Nate

#914 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,054 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 01:09 AM

I'd pick the Clippers. I'm gonna get fired from the Lakers staff in about a year and will be looking for a job again. So yeah it would be an easy decision for me. 

If Gentry goes it opens up the door for Hollins, if he doesn't go to  Philly :pray:

#915 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,503 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 01:33 AM

http://espn.go.com/l...ngeles-clippers

What a tough decision to make.

MMiRi9s.png

#916 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,245 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Gentry to head to the Clippers as an assistant to Doc per Ramona S. Tweet....
Posted Image

#917 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Welp.

#918 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 26, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Hire Scott Skiles and Nate

#919 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,122 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted June 26, 2013 - 12:50 PM

bye Gentry 

Former #Suns coach Alvin Gentry agreed to a 3-year deal to become the Clippers' associate head coach with Doc Rivers & will run the offense.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#920 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,054 posts

Posted June 26, 2013 - 01:02 PM

Good news.  Great for Gentry he's a great guy.   But this likens the chance of getting a Hollins along with Nate, if Hollins doesn't get the Sixers job the Lakers could move in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)