#861 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,486 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:08 PM

Ok, so now that Shaw is gone, I think the plan you and I were thinking that was going to happen just blew up Majesty. 

There is no way in hell Jim Buss is going to sit back and watch the Clippers keep on improving. He is going to make a head coaching change. It is just a matter of when.

yeah it was mainly on IF Shaw got hired or not.

I was hoping he wouldn't as he's the guy Mitch was waiting on.  But he just got the Nuggets job so great for him. 

I'm expecting Gentry and McMillen to be brought in rather fast now. 

I never want to wish for Shaw to not get a head coaching job, but darn if he didn't get one this off-season lol 

Edited by Majesty, June 24, 2013 - 05:08 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#862 CaliforniaSoul

CaliforniaSoul

Off The Bench

• 1,596 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:14 PM

Just hire Alvin Gentry for [expletive]'s sake.

:facepalm:

Alvin Gentry is only a tiny bit better than Mike D'antoni. They have the same philosophy and none of their teams ever played a lick of defense. No thanks.

If the Lakers are going to get anyone I'd prefer it to be Hollins now that Shaw is gone. But Hollins is going to get a head coaching job somewhere else cus our front office is stupid.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:17 PM

^ Hollins would be close to perfect for us & Dwight. You saw what he was able to do so consistently well with Marc & Zach? Imagine what he could do with Dwight & Pau? Plus, & more importantly for me, he specializes in defense and toughness. All of these things mentioned are the complete opposite of D'Antoni as in contrast they are his greatest weaknesses.

yo.

#864 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,220 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:20 PM

This thread is so depressing.  Fans have so much hope that the Lakers somehow will have a new coach and in reality its not going to happen. We are stuck with MDA. reality does hurt.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#865 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,486 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:21 PM

Alvin Gentry is only a tiny bit better than Mike D'antoni. They have the same philosophy and none of their teams ever played a lick of defense. No thanks.

If the Lakers are going to get anyone I'd prefer it to be Hollins now that Shaw is gone. But Hollins is going to get a head coaching job somewhere else cus our front office is stupid.

How would us being stupid be what makes Hollins get a head coaching job somewhere else?

If the Lakers go to Hollins and ask him to be assistant coach and he says no for a head coaching position it doesn't make us stupid.

Hollins is a great post coach but a terrible perimeter one.
D'antoni is a good perimeter coach, but a terrible post one. 

They'd honestly work quite well together, especially with the double post philosophy that Hollins would bring that we could use both Gasol and Howard for.  

Would really feed into Dwight wanting to "expand his game" here.  With an assistant like Hollins around he definitely would as it would be implemented into the offense and it would allow D'antoni to focus on the perimeter scoring, while Hollins can focus on the post sets. Each their strength and we'd have the players to pull both off.

If Hollins would forgo that for a chance to head coach somewhere then more power to him.  I just want us to go after him for that assistant coach position anyway.

Edited by Majesty, June 24, 2013 - 05:22 PM.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Hollins is a great post coach but a terrible perimeter one.
D'antoni is a good perimeter coach, but a terrible post one.

I don't think that's entirely fair. It's not like Hollins had the necessary weapons on the perimeter to be consistently effective on the perimeter. That's on management. In MDA's case however, he HAD & HAS the weapons to be effective in the post and he's just not really good at it. He just prefers lower-percentage shots not working to his best player's strengths and it really pains & costs him a lot just to even attempt to adapt & adjust.

yo.

#867 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,486 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't think that's entirely fair. It's not like Hollins had the necessary weapons on the perimeter to be consistently effective on the perimeter. That's on management.

I watch at how they ran their offense when they had Rudy Gay, it was just as unstructured around the perimeter he just could score from there.

Hollins strength is and always has been in his post up game.   His team didn't run double screens along the perimeter or ones that got perimeter players a lot of open shots.   Even with Rudy Gay there it was 99% of the time "Rudy Gay iso" which lead to some bad shots and some broken plays.   So I can't give Hollins a pass there.

Hollins strength lays in his post coaching.  

Let's not forget the Grizzlies were still a losing team WITH Rudy Gay and Hollins coaching, it wasn't until Randolph a post player, got there that the team started winning.    Post proficiency is and always has been Hollins's strength.   Any time he tried to run anything perimeter related, even with Rudy Gay it looked atrocious.

Get Hollins coaching the double post sets with Dwight and Pau, and keep D'antoni where he should be which is on the perimeter and through pick and rolls which we do have the team to run both, our offense would be effective.

I'm saying all this in theory though as I don't see Hollins going much longer without getting hired.

We also need to have wings players capable of playing the kind of defense Hollins would require.

Edited by Majesty, June 24, 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#868 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:19 PM

LOL and i remember majesty arguing with me that Brian Shaw would want a assistant coach position under Mike D'Antoni LMFAO

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

• 40,431 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:23 PM

Majesty was by far the most surest poster here that Shaw would somehow end up here. You had to love his enthusiasm and extreme optimism. He truly believed in what he stood for.

yo.

#870 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:24 PM

Majesty was by far the most surest poster here that Shaw would somehow end up here. You had to love his enthusiasm and extreme optimism. He truly believed in what he stood for.

Optimism or stupidity? We lost Shaw as soon as we hired Mike Brown over him.  :laughing:

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#871 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,391 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Welp so much for Shaw... glad he got an opportunity tho

Edited by 24allday, June 24, 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#872 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 408 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 24, 2013 - 06:51 PM

FACT: We are stuck with MDT for another year. At least.

FACT: Get used to it.

I'd be over the moon if we could snag Hollins but it's not going to happen.

I'm as anti MDT as any of you but we're dealing with reality on realities terms here. Sucks but it is what it is..

#873 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:33 PM

All the assistants in the world won't matter.

As long as D'Antoni is the Laker coach the season will be an absolute waste of time.

The Lakers will NEVER win anything with him at the helm.

#874 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,074 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Fido, so if we had LeBron, MDA would prevent him from winning?

I mean some of you are so against D'Antoni that you ONLY focu on him.

Bottom line, without Dwight, this is BARELY a playoff CONTENDING team( especially with Kobe INJURED)

With Dwight and Kobe back to 100%, with the style they played to end last year.

We STILL need help at the wings.

This roster is not built like the ones who had the most success in th epost season.

So we get it.

YOU GUYS DON'T LIKE MDA.

So the  [expletive] what! We need to worry about more than him right now.

#875 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,486 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Yeah was sure he'd end up here if he couldn't get a head coaching job somewhere else.   But he did.

Was sure that he was the guy that Mitch was "waiting on" to see if he'd get a head coaching job.

If that's the case then now with Shaw gone, Gentry and Nate will be here shortly.  The only reason they were on hold was because Mitch was waiting to see what would happen with Shaw.

I stand by that.

Edited by Majesty, June 24, 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#876 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yep, even with any player they wouldn't win.

Coaching matters, time management matters, ego management matters, defensive schemes matter.

And proving whatever point you think you may have through hypotheticals that have no chance of happening is a losing game.

Yes there are other things to worry about, but fixing the symptoms without addressing the root of the problem does nothing. The fish rots from the head down.

#877 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:56 PM

I don't really see the need to make a distinction. Roster and coach are both huge problems that prevent the Lakers from competing. When you're as bad as the Lakers were this season, you have multiple major issues. The Lakers didn't make the playoffs until the final game of the season.

D'Antoni wouldn't win with the Heat's roster. Phil Jackson wouldn't win with the Lakers' current roster.

Posted Image

#878 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,074 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Nice line but D'Antoni never had THE GUY of the league.

Only kobe, Shaq,Wade,LeBron,Parker,Dirk and Billups won Finals MVPs since the JORDAN ERA, where only Jordan and hakeem won.

The point I'm trying to make is, MOST of those guys were Top 1,2,3 in the league , in the years they won. 

Dirk and CB being the exception, with one beingg on an exceptionally talented offense team, and one being on the top 3 defenses EVER in any sport.

So, going back to D'Antoni's career- he had Nash, who is a little guard with no defense and he had Amare who was still a KID, and THAt was supposed to win a title?

I mean seriously...

Never in thel eague has a team like THAT won, with no Magic and Kareem or anything remotely CLOSE to that, let alone a James Worthy,m Cooper, Byron Scott, etc.

And again, I didn't see a more inept coach than Spo in his first year with LeBron.

i'll go one step further. Mike Brown had training camp and pre-season and 

I know people might not remember, but with Mike brown, we weren't "almost coming back" like with a lot of D'Antoni losses. We was getting BEAT DOWN, with no remorse, and we were ALMOST healthy during that small stretch, so MDA had the guys ears, more than the previous guy.

#879 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,074 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Multiple problems? Yes!

one was a top heavy roster in which EVERYBODY at the top experience MAJOR INJURY this season.

I mean, this is the same assessment I would make if the Lakers were not my favorite team.

its why i KNEW the Knicks would improve...HEALTH could not be as bad as it was the year before

#880 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:04 PM

You're missing my point.

The Lakers can't compete with any coach with their roster. And, the Lakers can't keep with any roster with D'Antoni as coach.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users