#841 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,253 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:26 PM

Majesty, I really dig your positive vibes and outlooks. And that is no sarcasm either..
Posted Image

• 40,404 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 09:29 PM

^ In a world full of mostly negativity, it's certainly refreshing.

yo.

#843 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,156 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:11 PM

Majesty, I really dig your positive vibes and outlooks. And that is no sarcasm either..

I try :)

I really do hope Gentry gets the job with Rivers.

That would leave only Nate, whom I would have figured would have been hired by now. But hasn't.  So the only other guy Mitch could possibly be "waiting" on is Shaw.  And Phil being there as a consultant it almost feels like a sure thing.

Problem is, Shaw may not want to become an 'assistant' here with what he has in Indiana, but having Phil here certainly sweetens the deal.

I wouldn't mind one bit if Shaw was here as an assistant. 

Shaw already spoke about a time ago how the Lakers could implement a player like Steve Nash or even the style D'antoni coaches into sets in the triangle to effectiveness of both the pick and roll and everywhere else.

If Shaw's an assistant then if the offense is going the triangle with bits of PnR he talked about running with Nash(years ago) then he's the perfect guy for the team imo. 

Also if D'antoni got fired he'd be head coach...

After that all that would matter is who would come in as defensive assistant.

At that point I wouldn't mind Nate despite he isn't really THAT defensively sound as he's hyped to be, if we got Shaw as assistant on the team I'd figure out offense would be less "out of place" and that would actually fix some of our defensive problems as our offensive style was at times so out of place last year it put us out of positions to defend the response properly and a healthy Dwight would help a lot too. 

And since Nate nor Gentry is here already despite weeks of no news on coaching offers till the Grizzlies and Clippers(assistant) one for Gentry I assume that they are waiting for someone in particular and not just D'antoni's guys, if Gentry gets the job with Doc, I'm 90% sure that Shaw will be the next assistant hired here.  

Edited by Majesty, June 23, 2013 - 10:13 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#844 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Only way I see Shaw coming back to the Lakers is if they make him an associate head coach.  

Anything less than that, he stays in Indiana if he doesn't get a head coaching gig elsewhere. 

#845 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,156 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Only way I see Shaw coming back to the Lakers is if they make him an associate head coach.  

Anything less than that, he stays in Indiana if he doesn't get a head coaching gig elsewhere. 

Wouldn't mind that in the least.

#846 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Wouldn't mind that in the least.

Question is does D'Antoni agree to it?  He would essentially be saying yes to hiring his replacement.  

But then again, D'Antoni could see it as an opportunity to get the fan base off his back.

#847 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,877 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:24 PM

Brian Shaw? I rather Fisher be groomed. I don't think B Shaw is built for head coaching at this point

#848 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Brian Shaw? I rather Fisher be groomed. I don't think B Shaw is built for head coaching at this point

Disagree.

Phil Jackson groomed Shaw and was the guy that Kobe lobbied for after Jackson's retirement.

Those guys felt he was ready so I have no reason to believe otherwise.

#849 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,156 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Question is does D'Antoni agree to it?  He would essentially be saying yes to hiring his replacement.  

But then again, D'Antoni could see it as an opportunity to get the fan base off his back.

I think ultimately D'antoni wouldn't have a choice.

Just as he didn't have a choice back in Memphis when Kobe(and I'm sure Mitch too) told him to change the offense. 

Even Jim I think it was reported was on the verge of firing him before that 28-12 stretch.

Around the time there was a poster or mod here that said he thought Mitch gave him a "change this or you're fired" talk.

I think D'antoni will compromise if his job's on the line and he needs all the help he can get this off-season formulating an offense he's never had to coach before, and honestly never should have been hired to coach. 

If you hire D'antoni you're hiring a guy that's gonna mainly use your point guard, not run many post ups and is a master in pick and rolls and double rolls and off ball stretch wings to hit shots.

Hiring D'antoni and then asking him to play the point guard off ball, to work it through the post, and to forget the term "stretch 4" would lead to......   exactly what happened.

So Shaw being here actually would help him a ton especially at that position, utilize what they're best at "coaching".

D'antoni working on pick and rolls, Brian Shaw working on the post and triangle sets.   If they could work together on those things our offense would be taken care of fully. 

Edited by Majesty, June 23, 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#850 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,003 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 23, 2013 - 10:35 PM

Even if Kobe is a big MDA supporter (for now), I am pretty sure with Shaw as an assistant, his loyalties would be split. MDA would rather and limit any opposition.

The coaching position only became secured for MDA because the Lakers surged (Kobe's sacrifice), reason why part of me wouldn't have minded them missing the playoffs if it meant opening their eyes and removing MDA. Most people agree that depending on how the first 10 games pan out will dictate if he stays or goes.

I do not think Shaw would take the assistant job even if offered because it seems the Lakers as an organization would just again look elsewhere if it became available. His best shot would be praised by Kobe (again) if it were to be able, although I have wondered why the Lakers never gave him a shot. Some speculate because of his similarities to PJ and independent style would contrast the new management style unfortunately.

Edited by Ven21, June 23, 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#851 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,156 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:01 PM

Even if Kobe is a big MDA supporter (for now), I am pretty sure with Shaw as an assistant, his loyalties would be split. MDA would rather and limit any opposition.

The coaching position only became secured for MDA because the Lakers surged (Kobe's sacrifice), reason why part of me wouldn't have minded them missing the playoffs if it meant opening their eyes and removing MDA. Most people agree that depending on how the first 10 games pan out will dictate if he stays or goes.

I do not think Shaw would take the assistant job even if offered because it seems the Lakers as an organization would just again look elsewhere if it became available. His best shot would be praised by Kobe (again) if it were to be able, although I have wondered why the Lakers never gave him a shot. Some speculate because of his similarities to PJ and independent style would contrast the new management style unfortunately.

Lakers wanted to be Showtime again and have spent the last 3 years looking for "chris paul"

They wanted to get a point guard that would take some strain off of Kobe in his final years so that he doesn't have to initiate everything.

That's why they went and got Chris Paul.  To allow Kobe to play off ball.

Didn't work, that's why they got Sessions, a guy that could push the pace and would "at times" allow Kobe to play off ball, and could score off the iso so they got the closest thing they could to Chris Paul that was available to us which was Sessions, who actually did a good job till Deandre jordan jacked up his arm.  That's also why they tried to go after Rondo prior before Ainge put a stop to it.

Their main goal for the past few years had been finding a point guard that could take some strain off Kobe and initiate things himself without Kobe having to do it all.

This is also why we got Steve Nash, because they thought he still could do that for Kobe.

That's why they fired Mike Brown when he said that Nash was better set to be off ball and a team lead by a Nash pick and roll had never won a championship(which Nash agreed with).  Because they got Nash to take pressure off Kobe, not to be an off ball threat to Kobe initiating everything(which is why they got rid of Fisher cause he was initially that)  

That's why they said no to Phil Jackson when Phil said essentially that Nash should be used off ball while Kobe does the facilitating.

The front office didn't want that, they wanted Kobe to be off ball and NOT have to do anything.

That's why they said yes to D'antoni who said he would run a Nash based offense with Kobe off ball initially which is what the front office had wanted since they traded Gasol for Paul.

Problem is,

1) Stern vetoed the Chris Paul deal
2) Sessions opted out
3) Steve Nash was about 2 years past being able to do pick and roll the way they wanted him to for Kobe.

4) their decision ultimately lead to Kobe having to do MORE than he ever has to keep this team in the playoffs.  Yes Dwight's health returning and Nash's spectacular play averaging 17/6 over 15 of the last 20 games he played down the second half of the season while playing off ball factored into that as well.

Seems like they've finally let that go though(the notion that they'll get a point guard that will allow Kobe to play off ball and relax more) and just have accepted that Kobe's gonna be main facilitator on this team for the next few years, and that's the first step to really fixing things.

Edited by Majesty, June 23, 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#852 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,566 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:28 AM

After reading about the Clippers most likely hiring Rivers, it bums me out even more that we're most likely stuck with D'Antoni. How the hell did they ever get suckered in to hiring him?

#853 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,877 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I like Kurt and thought he would be a great coach, but again, I think the Zen aspect of Phil is the key. IU think the X's and O's don't mean nerly as much.

shaw needs to have more of a presence OBVIOUSLY, b/c he STILL hasnt found a head coaching job and thats was well over a year ago

#854 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 24, 2013 - 07:39 AM

I like your positivety Majesty but unfortanately the Lakers still hasn't done anything for me to have any hope for next season. Name me anything they've done so far for the Lakers fans to be willing to pay super high prices and for season ticket holders to spend couple of grand?  Why would Lakers willing to have a lamn duck coach for next season? Is that the Lakers way? It is so obvious that the Lakers will stick with MDA no matter what. Heck, I wouldn't even be surprised if the Lakers willing to stick with him until his contract is over. So Two more years of the most over rated coach in basketball.   Am I being negative or am I being realistic based on what the Lakers are doing right now?  So you can say "lakes might hire Brian Shaw and have him as coach"  and because of this PR stunt they did last week with Phil Jackson in th mix, it still doesn't make sense.  Phil Jackson is not part of the lakers. Not if Jim Buss has anything to do with it. People just can't get the minds around that.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#855 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,877 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:05 AM

Epic wolf, what are you talking about?

Lakers have the most fans worls wide, so that means HIGH TICKET prices. It's called supply and demand.

I mean if people stopped supporting a team every time it didn't make the Finals, there would be NO fans of San Antonio now, who has come up short for YEARS now.

The Clippers also faltered in the first round , and it was their best season in history.

People gotta stop being immature and spoiled.

I'm going to say this ONE LAST TIME. Last time we had a GREAT coach, we were Swept out of econd round. Next year, Mike Brown and we lost in the second round, this season, no Kobe and we lose in the first round.

Is it HARD for some fans rto admit that with Kobe as aour leader we have likely won our last title, no matter what.

Not even bc Kobe is done or whatever, just because,  He has 5, if someone told you Kobe will bring the Lakers 5 titles, just like Magic, some people would have laughed at you in 1996.

Well, he has done that. Oh, but you are so obsessed with the "Mj" thing, that you can't just ENJOY YOUR TEAM as a fan.

I mean we have the most dominant team inthe history of sports( top 3 at least) and as the GREAT KOBE BRYANT's career fades, people acting like lil spoiled rich girls whose Daddy had a bad year, so they can't have an overpriced party this year.

I'm so tired of the IGNORANCE.

Phil is a consultant, why is that a PR move? He has input at some level. Is he the VP? No and he shouldn't take Mitch's job whatsoever

#856 Murdercassette

Murdercassette

Rap game Billy Mays

• 626 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 08:16 AM

The rage in this thread is palpable 

Posted Image

#857 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,156 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Well if you listen to ESPN the Miami Heat have fans on par with our own since ours can be "late to games" too .... 

That's funny....  let's compare championship parades shall we?

7168_10151726140667223_1211263066_n.png

If Miami has as many fans on par with ours then they're doing it wrong....

#858 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,144 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 04:49 PM

Ok, so now that Shaw is gone, I think the plan you and I were thinking that was going to happen just blew up Majesty. 

There is no way in hell Jim Buss is going to sit back and watch the Clippers keep on improving. He is going to make a head coaching change. It is just a matter of when.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,404 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 04:55 PM

There is no way in hell Jim Buss is going to sit back and watch the Clippers keep on improving. He is going to make a head coaching change. It is just a matter of when.

What makes you so certain of that? Simply gut feelng/intuition? Anything more legitimate/concrete to back that up?

yo.

#860 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,508 posts

Posted June 24, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Just hire Alvin Gentry for [expletive]'s sake.

:facepalm:

MMiRi9s.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users