#821 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,701 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:38 PM

yes that meeting in Memphis was part of why the offense changed, but also his "J.O.B" being on the line.

That does make one thing apparent(because at the time Mike Brown was still on payroll and didn't have a job in Cleveland) they weren't so stuck on the money that they'd pay that they WOULDN'T fire the coach if we were still a losing team.  

That 28-12 run at the end didn't just save our season it saved D'antoni's job.  The question is who would have replaced him if anyone would have or if Bernie would have just been given the reigns to end our season.

More importantly, we weren't running the offense we hired D'antoni to run, we ran something else different entirely.   At the end of the day in the off-season we're asking him to formulate an offense that he's never coached his entire career.  Can he do it? Maybe. Will he get the chance to show if he can?  We'll see.

I think this happens one of two ways.

D'antoni is fired before July 2nd and Phil is brought in, if Mitch and Buss do this it means they have confirmation from Dwight that he will be back as a Laker next year.

That's one way.

The second way it could happen

D'antoni is given the pre-season and first week of the season(i'd say maybe 3 or 4 games) to show what new offensive scheme he has come up with, if it shows that it can utilize and maximize the talent we have including especially Dwight(if he is back) he(D'antoni) likely stays, but if it seems more or less like we ran last year but with no real fine tuning, D'antoni will be fired and Phil will be brought in.  (5-1 he stays, 4-2 meh, 3-2 or less and he's fired).

All and all if D'antoni is actually capable of formulating an offensive scheme that maximized our talent at each position and was able to coach away from the style he's coached his entire career then by all means kudos to him and he should stay. 

If not, then we never should have brought him as it would be too big a task to bring in D'antoni and then ask him to coach double posts, off ball point guards and inside out, he's never been that kind of coach his entire career and we should let him go.

With all these stories coming up lately it seems that Jim and Mitch may be leaning towards the latter but aren't going to make any decisions until Dwight commits, but we shall see.

Edited by Majesty, May 23, 2013 - 06:40 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#822 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:43 PM

If Phil is brought back, he will want an entire camp to install the offense...so will the Lakers players.

Plus Phil wants personnel control.  He will want to try to tailor this team to his vision, not take over someone else's team.

If Phil is brought back, it will be right before or right after Dwight re-signs.  If Dwight doesn't re-sign, the Lakers will put all of their eggs into their 2014-PLAN...and have a fire sale at the trade deadline.

#823 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,701 posts

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:52 PM

If Phil is brought back, he will want an entire camp to install the offense...so will the Lakers players.

Plus Phil wants personnel control.  He will want to try to tailor this team to his vision, not take over someone else's team.

If Phil is brought back, it will be right before or right after Dwight re-signs.  If Dwight doesn't re-sign, the Lakers will put all of their eggs into their 2014-PLAN...and have a fire sale at the trade deadline.

Agreed for the most part.

Phil isn't going to be hired if Dwight is going elsewhere.  The entire point of bringing in Phil would be to maximize Dwight in the post and maximize Nash off ball. 

If Dwight goes elsewhere then Phil isn't going to be brought in and Phil will only be brought in if Dwight gives them the "for sure" that he's coming back.   Lakers will be the first team he talks to, so we'll see what happens that day and what is discussed.

#824 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 395 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted May 23, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I hope this turns out.. Getting rid of MDA is the single best move we can make this off season..

#825 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 23, 2013 - 07:02 PM

lol... Laker offseason threads

#826 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm not going to fully believe this rumor, or any other rumor for that matter. However, what was said is completely logical and worthwhile. I did not think about the assistant hiring freeze until now. I guess we will all find out when the time is right.

#827 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,293 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:25 PM

dantonie back on the hot seat?

Phil is coming to LA... its going to happen... eventually... no reason for all this drama if there is nothing there..

Phil still feels slighted that the lakers hired dantonie

#828 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,668 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted May 23, 2013 - 10:47 PM

If Dwight stays D'Antoni has to go, that's for sure.
Posted Image

#829 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,318 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted May 24, 2013 - 12:29 AM

What are your thoughts on Avery Johnson

#830 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Black Lagoon

• 8,471 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 04:43 AM

Eeeek, hell no! ^

I'd hope the Lakers would try and pursue Brian Shaw as much as they can, even if he is doing well in Indiana.

Edited by Disaster in Paradise, May 24, 2013 - 04:45 AM.

MMiRi9s.png

#831 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:00 AM

1n6vb.jpg

#832 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 24, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I wondered who else from Mike D Anotoni's family tree will he hire to be his "defensive" coach?  Apparently his brother is doing a fine job so far.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

• 40,396 posts

Posted May 24, 2013 - 12:06 PM

What are your thoughts on Avery Johnson

A "unique" voice that would be hard to stand for a whole season to say the least.

yo.

#834 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,854 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Scott Skiles is BY FAr the best defensive coach on the market. I'm not sure if anyone has brought this point up.

#835 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 24, 2013 - 08:11 PM

Scott Skiles is BY FAr the best defensive coach on the market. I'm not sure if anyone has brought this point up.

Him, as well as a few other people would be qualified to be a defensive coach for this team. However, most of us are more interested in getting a whole new coach.

#836 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 11:27 AM

We should do a trade with the Spurs

http://www.spurstalk...404#post6699404

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#837 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,743 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 23, 2013 - 12:00 PM

We should do a trade with the Spurs

http://www.spurstalk...404#post6699404

Spurs fans trashing Pop !  LOL

They really should get MDA and feel the pain of poor coaching.

#838 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,625 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 23, 2013 - 12:56 PM

Spurs fans trashing Pop !  LOL

They really should get MDA and feel the pain of poor coaching.

That OP's points are retarded. I really agree that he was awful and probbaly one of their major reason they lost the series but his points are just dumb

GP... you have chosen to bench Tracy McGrady. Seriously? He is a career 20 point per game scorer and would go a long way towards making sure we are no longer the worst scoring team in the NBA finals. Besides, you really should be playing him next to a strong interior defender to make up for his inadequacy as a defender who gets pushed around easily with his small frame, and yet you fail to put him in with an elite, strong, mobile interior defender.

Probably the stupidest point ever. 

#839 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,093 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Alvin Gentry's a strong candidate to join Rivers' staff, but still candidate for Memphis head job and Lakers' assistant, source tells Y!

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#840 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,701 posts

Posted June 23, 2013 - 04:44 PM

if Gentry becomes an assistant to Doc that just strengthens the idea that the Lakers are gonna go after Shaw.  

For that reason I hope Doc does get Gentry :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users