Photo

D'Antoni Discussion - Lakers leaning towards firing MDA? (Pg. 135); MDA unsure of job status moving foward (Pg. 141)

Mike DAntoni MDA coach

• Please log in to reply
2824 replies to this topic

#741 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:12 PM

http://www.latimes.c...0,3381192.story

Balls

#742 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 4,421 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:32 PM

There's a reason Coach K never made the jump to the NBA level. Let's not overrate him cause we like him. He is a great NCAA coach, and that's where he should remain.

That's bull[expletive] and you know it. I don't even think you believe half the [expletive] you post on here.

The reason is loyalty. He's not leaving what he has at Duke. He runs that program from top to bottom.

When you have several established NBA coaches (including our current coach) and future hall of famers working together under your direction as you win 2 gold medals, you can coach. Regardless of where. He didn't turn down 4 coaching jobs (1 from the Lakers) because he isn't capable of making the jump. He's one of the top basketball coaches in the world and we'd be lucky if he as much allowed us to interview him.

yo.

#743 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 423 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:33 PM

Defensive assistant? That will fix everything! I'm stoked.

wtf-video-of-the-week-o.gif

what is this thing?

#744 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,339 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:40 PM

That's bull[expletive] and you know it. I don't even think you believe half the [expletive] you post on here.

The reason is loyalty. He's not leaving what he has at Duke. He runs that program from top to bottom.

When you have several established NBA coaches (including our current coach) and future hall of famers working together under your direction as you win 2 gold medals, you can coach. Regardless of where. He didn't turn down 4 coaching jobs (1 from the Lakers) because he isn't capable of making the jump. He's one of the top basketball coaches in the world and we'd be lucky if he as much allowed us to interview him.

Coach K is NOT an NBA coach.

International competition is still not the same as the NBA and he had the greatest players in the NBA on the same team.

You can't make coaching in the Olympics the same as having NBA success.  

He isn't going to have Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony and LeBron James on the same team in the NBA although he managed ego's well.  But that said, a gold medal holds a lot more "all for one" in it than an NBA Championship.  Ask Pau Gasol.

And international competition is very one sided in terms of the US NBA players. 

That's why team USA rarely loses when they send their best.

It doesn't translate into coaching effectively at the NBA level with a young team or even a veteran team for 82 games against NBA level competition on every night.

You can try to relate the two but they aren't relate-able.  Olympic success =/= Same success as an NBA coach.

Coach K is an NCAA and college coach and one of the greatest of all time. And that's where he should stay.

I get that you like the guy, but he should stay in college.

Edited by Majesty, May 02, 2013 - 03:41 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#745 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 734 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted May 02, 2013 - 03:49 PM

MDA bought a new house in LA...well that's a wrap then. He's clearly staying. I really hope Mitch/Jim don't try to hardball Dwight and say "deal with MDA" just to save 8 million dollars. Dwight knows he has options and he WILL leave if Mitch is complacent. Do what you must to secure a star after Kobe retires. It makes it easier to get another star to sign in free agency.

#746 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,339 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 02, 2013 - 04:09 PM

Good he's looking for a defensive assistant. 

Now the question is who is he getting.

He's gonna try to convince Nate, but we'll see if he can.  If he can't because he has an NBA coaching job offer then it's a question on who he gets instead.

I am glad to hear he's looking for a defensive assistant.  But now I want to see who he gets.

Above all else I just want Bernie to stay :laughing:

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#747 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 02, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Dammit...

#748 WWBD

WWBD

Rookie

• 96 posts

Posted May 02, 2013 - 04:55 PM

Phil and Coach K are two of the best motivators in any field, sports or otherwise.  That's why they are tremendous coaches, and the reason why they can "handle" stars.

#749 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,701 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted May 02, 2013 - 05:22 PM

Damn he could resign instead of searching for defensive assistant, he won't even listen to his coaching assistant cause his pride is so high.

33bkfif.jpg

#750 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted May 02, 2013 - 06:23 PM

i think the 28-12 argument is weak. we stil lost to some HORRIBLE teams. and even in those wins we didnt play really good basketball; we never put together more than one good half of ball in a game. our defense was still our kryptonite in every game. i wasnt impressed.

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?
(Peace Pau we need pieces, not MettaWorldPieces!!!!!!!!)

#751 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 02, 2013 - 06:36 PM

I don't see how adding Alvin Gentry can help anything. I know he probably wouldn't go for it, but I would rather see Jerry Sloan in charge or our defense (as well as our entire damn team!).

#752 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 734 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted May 02, 2013 - 07:31 PM

It would be so nice to have Sloan here. He knows his stuff when it comes to big men, and could maximize Nash as well (seeing that's all the FO cares about).

#753 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:12 PM

It would be so nice to have Sloan here. He knows his stuff when it comes to big men, and could maximize Nash as well (seeing that's all the FO cares about).

Especially because Nash is a very similar player to how Stockton was. He could also possibly bring out the greatest in Dwight's post game a la Malone. I understand that they are different types of players, but I think it could be done.

#754 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,514 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:34 PM

There's a reason Coach K never made the jump to the NBA level.  Let's not overrate him cause we like him.  He is a great NCAA coach, and that's where he should remain.

like how you overrate our coaches?

#755 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,392 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 02, 2013 - 08:49 PM

lol coach K > D'Antoni. lmao.

Edited by Ham, May 02, 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#756 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:25 PM

i think the 28-12 argument is weak. we stil lost to some HORRIBLE teams. and even in those wins we didnt play really good basketball; we never put together more than one good half of ball in a game. our defense was still our kryptonite in every game. i wasnt impressed.

exactly, we can't beat top tier teams 'cept Memphis, Pacers, and Spurs. 28-12 and some of those games are close against scrubs. Seriously?

#757 Henny Loc

Henny Loc

Livin' Legend

• 700 posts
  • Name:LS3
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:25 PM

He needs to be an assistant in Europe

#758 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,725 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:39 PM

Jerry Sloan won't coach as an assistant.

#759 -MagicKareemKobe-

-MagicKareemKobe-

Rookie

• 1,197 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted May 02, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Especially because Nash is a very similar player to how Stockton was. He could also possibly bring out the greatest in Dwight's post game a la Malone. I understand that they are different types of players, but I think it could be done.

I don't think Nash and Stockton are similar at all, besides being white point guards. Stockton played better defense and set way better screens. Nash is a better offensive player, Slokton was the more complete player.

#760 bigvee

bigvee

Superstar

• 7,211 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Shaq

Posted May 02, 2013 - 10:21 PM

I gotta agree with Majesty on this one. Coach K needs to remain in Duke.

I'm not saying he wouldn't be a great NBA coach, he probably would, but many people who praise coach K on here don't even understand his coaching techniques.

Coach K is a system coach. He has a system that is designed to win at a college level, and he has shown that. Every year his blue devils compete for a final 4 spot, and that's because of his greatness and great scouting by Duke, not to mention the desire by so many high school kids to want to play for him.

With that being said, how many superstars, LATELY, have come out from Duke? Do not count Kyrie Irving, he played what, 2 games? Coach K builds his players up to be complete basketball players, and not necessarily superstars.

I'm not saying he is unable to coach a superstar, or a couple, at an NBA level; but he hasn't brought the type of talent to the NBA as lets say Kentucky has. The biggest names I can think of coming out of Duke are Grant Hill, J.J. Reddick, and Corey Maggette.

Again, not taking anything away from Coach K. He's an incredible coach, and probably the best at his level. He should stay at his level because of his system, and most importantly, his loyalty.

Would I take him as a Laker coach? [expletive] yes. Just because I want him to implement a system in the NBA that can compete every single year, no matter how his talent looks like.

Do I believe it would be worth going out of our way to pry him from Duke, where he's done so much? No.

Coach K would be like a Pop or a Thibs type coach. Demanding the absolute best out of each and every player, and developing extremely high IQ players at the pro level.

LeBron James will NOT leave the Miami Heat.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mike, DAntoni, MDA, coach

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users