• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:23 PM

I've personally been against this strategy for years, going back to when it was Hack-a-Shaq in LA.

I wish there would be a rule change on this. It's really not good for basketball fans to pay money to go watch the worst free throw shooters go to the line many times in a row.

The change to the rule that I have always thought would be fair is that regardless of who is fouled, whoever has the ball in his hands should be the one shooting the free throws, not the player off the ball.

Just my opinion. I don't care about Dwight missing, I just hate that this strategy is allowed because it sucks the excitement out of the game.

#2 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:34 PM

This makes me fall asleep. It boring seeing a guy get fouled and players walking up court to shoot. Make or miss no player is fun watching shoot FTs.
Posted Image

#3 The Hound

The Hound

3rd Eye Vision

• 1,062 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, Ron Artest, Magic

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:36 PM

We don't like it, but the other team and their fans surely do.

Edited by The Hound, December 02, 2012 - 08:37 PM.

"Any man dies with a clean sword,  I'LL RAPE HIS [expletive]ING CORPSE!!!!!" - Sandor Clegane

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:51 PM

Excitement doesn't matter. It's all about winning. It's just strategy. Onus should be on the player to get better so this doesn't have to happen and he makes them pay. They're supposed to be professionals for a reason. He should have more pride.

yo.

#5 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:52 PM

David Stern fined the Spurs because of Pop's strategy to sit out his stars and he stated NBA fans deserve better. He should fine any team that hacks Dwight (sigh)

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:53 PM

Exposing the opposition's greatest weakness or weaknesses. It's all fair game. Not about entertaining people. It's all about winning. Look at Timmy D's bank shots. Never all that aesthetically-pleasing, but they serve a purpose and get the job done. Strategy. Method.

yo.

#7 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,214 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:55 PM

No. It's frustrating and boring when players miss, not when they go to line. Of course for Dwight's case, you know beforehand that he will miss. [expletive] happens. This is what we signed up for.

Edited by Tensai, December 02, 2012 - 08:56 PM.

#8 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,876 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:56 PM

I don't know if anything will be done soon, but I think eventually it'll be banned.

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:58 PM

It's a crap strategy plain and simple. I've never been for it when we tried it a few times against Shaq and Dwight.

Like the poster said above, if Stern is going to fine the Spurs for sitting starters, this type of crap should not be allowed either.

It is about winning and players need to step up, but it seems too bush-league for me.

#10 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,378 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted December 02, 2012 - 08:59 PM

Well D'Antoni better take D12 out of the game if it continues

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#11 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:03 PM

everyone knows how to defeat the lakers now smh...

#12 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,721 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:05 PM

David Stern. Fine the Magic. Fans did not see what they came for. $500k fine.

#13 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:08 PM

I actually turned the game off when they went to hack-a-dwight. Got bored.
Laker fan for life.

#14 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,226 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:12 PM

David Stern. Fine the Magic. Fans did not see what they came for. $500k fine.

The lakers have the most expensive tickets in basketball. if Stern really cares, it should be addressed. What intrigues me is that Mitch Kupchak is part of the NBA's rules committee. I wouldn't be surprised for him to push for a tweak in the system if this continues. Maybe have the player who is holding the basketball shoot the free throws? Or have the team decides who?

Edited by Gotrings?, December 02, 2012 - 09:13 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:15 PM

I hate the strategy but players like Dwight Howard make shooting FTs look like the hardest thing in the world.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,028 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:22 PM

It's really not good for basketball fans to pay money to go watch the worst free throw shooters go to the line many times in a row.

Just from that standpoint, David Stern is a hypocrite. Was that not one of his premises for fining Gregg Popovich? Fans come to pay good money and Popovich sits star players?

In this same aspect, hacking a star who can not shoot freethrows essentially takes him out of the game and takes away from what the fans came to see. David Stern, if you are going to make decisions and fine coaches based off of certain philosophies, you must apply the philosophy throughout all aspects of the game.

It was mentioned in another thread by someone that a rule change could be that a player can defer to another player on their team to shoot the free throw. This would not be a good rule change to just simply add that, as it would immediately affect a lot of teams. To balance this rule, perhaps a player can choose to defer to another player to shoot their free throws, at the cost of 1 less free throw.

E.g. Dwight fouled for 2 shots, defers to Kobe for 1 free throw only, Lakers get 1 free throw only for that foul.
E.g. World Peace fouled for 3 shots, defers to Kobe for 2 free throws only. Lakers get 2 free throws only for that three point foul.

"Hack-a-shaq" is a strategy to this game. In turn, there should be an ability to counteract this "Hack-a-shaq" with another strategy.

Maybe have the player who is holding the basketball shoot the free throws?

This sounds like a good alternative as well. The team should be able to choose who shoots the freethrows for an off-the-ball foul out of two players: The person who got fouled off of the ball, or the person who currently has possession of the ball.

Edited by -Wade-, December 02, 2012 - 09:25 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:24 PM

"Hack-a-shaq" is a strategy to this game. In turn, there should be an ability to counteract this "Hack-a-shaq" with another strategy.

The other strategy would be to have more pride in your job, knock them down, and make them pay.

yo.

#18 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,871 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:31 PM

Ehh thing is we would be loving the hack a dwight if we were on the other side. Its what we you get for bad FT%. It hasnt been changed sense shaq doubt it will change

#19 LakeShowTime

LakeShowTime

16x champs

• 1,435 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Hack-A-bad ft shooter is just as bad as flopping...They should make a rule like fouling away from the ball x amount of times in a quarter would be a technical foul

1i5mo.gif

#20 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,028 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 02, 2012 - 09:37 PM

The other strategy would be to have more pride in your job, knock them down, and make them pay.

The whole point is the reason they are fouling you for. The free throw statistic. Knocking them down and making them pay is a resulting strategy. I'm brainstorming ideas consisting more of opposing strategies.

Edited by -Wade-, December 02, 2012 - 09:38 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users