• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,165 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 01:54 PM

Stern wants to find a solution to "Hack-a-______"

NBA commissioner David Stern has been under fire recently for a multitude of issues.

After blocking the Lakers from trading for star point guard Chris Paul last year, the media has blasted Stern for every misstep, including fining the San Antonio Spurs for resting their three main stars in a hotly contested game against the Miami Heat last week.

But most recently, it was Stern speaking out against the “Hack-a-Fill in the blank” strategy where a team purposefully fouls an opposing player that struggles from the free throw line.

“I would have liked to have seen the rule changed to make the last-two-minute rule the whole rule,” he said. “It was getting to a point last year where, [in the] first period, they were just grabbing players. I think that’s ludicrous.

“We tried to change it to any time in the game because last year I guess it was everyone was fouling Tiago Splitter early on and the committee didn’t want to do it. And so that’s just the way it is. Because the reality is that there are a lot of basketball purists — and I understand that point of view — who say, ‘Hey, why don’t you learn to shoot foul shots? You’re supposed to be a pro.’”

Stern was speaking specifically about the recently-discovered “Hack-a-Dwight,” which led to two-consecutive losses over the previous week.

But for once, Stern is spot on.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#42 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 07, 2012 - 02:57 PM

This is Bynum-esque come the EF on dude

http://espn.go.com/l...ryant-sees-root

Toward the end of shootaround Friday, Los Angeles Lakers guard Steve Nash approached Dwight Howard and offered up a couple of tips on how to shoot free throws.

Though Howard is shooting just 46.9 percent from the foul line this season, while Nash is tied with Mark Price for the best free throw percentage in NBA history at 90.4 percent, the Lakers center said he's had enough of people giving him advice.

"Listen, he was just suggesting some things, but it's not something that we've already talked about or anybody else has suggested," Howard said. "My mind cannot get clouded with everybody telling me how to shoot a free throw. I just have to go up there and shoot it my way and not get caught up in what everybody else is saying, because that's when I miss."

Later in the article Kobe defends him and says he sucks at FTs because thats how he was raised playing basketball where it was ignore and they just told him to sit in the paint and dunk and what not.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#43 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 07, 2012 - 03:21 PM

I don't see the issue with what Dwight said. He's right. He is the one shooting free throws and has to make them. No one else can make them for him.
htCCl0m.png

#44 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted December 07, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Stern wants to find a solution to "Hack-a-______"

Yours truly posted a thread about this in the NBA section.

#45 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,165 posts

Posted December 07, 2012 - 04:50 PM

^^My bad bro

statcenter@statcenter

Dwight Howard has missed 403 FTA since beginning of last season. Steve Nash has missed 313 FTA in his 16-yr career.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#46 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,419 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 08, 2012 - 12:04 AM

Apparently the Nash pointers helped because his stroke and shot from the free throw line looked MUCH better tonight.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#47 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,678 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 08, 2012 - 01:36 AM

Apparently the Nash pointers helped because his stroke and shot from the free throw line looked MUCH better tonight.

doesn't mean jock. he's not miraculously gonna increase 10% in FT ratings.

Edited by ツ  , December 08, 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#48 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,419 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 08, 2012 - 02:00 AM

doesn't mean jock. he's not miraculously gonna increase 10% in FT ratings.

Nope but if he shoots the free throw like he did tonight then it's a step in the right direction.

It's funny how every time he misses it means more than when he makes. So if he has a bad night and misses 5 then it's so terrible and he'll never get it right. But when he has a good free throw shooting night it doesn't mean jack.

I see what you did there :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#49 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,678 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 08, 2012 - 10:41 AM

Nope but if he shoots the free throw like he did tonight then it's a step in the right direction.

It's funny how every time he misses it means more than when he makes. So if he has a bad night and misses 5 then it's so terrible and he'll never get it right. But when he has a good free throw shooting night it doesn't mean jack.

I see what you did there :)

like i said, he's not gonna have one of these ft shooting nights again. one good shooting game doesn't mean anything, he can't do this consistently.

Edited by ツ  , December 08, 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#50 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted December 08, 2012 - 11:17 AM

like i said, he's not gonna have one of these ft shooting nights again. one good shooting game doesn't mean anything, he can't do this consistently.

Sure he'll have one of these nights again. Will it be every night? No, but he can and will have good shooting nights from the line. He had one earlier this year against Portland where he was 15-19 from the line.

Should we expect Dwight to be 70+% all year? No, it would be great but probably won't happen.

#51 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,715 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted December 08, 2012 - 03:59 PM

hopefully he can be at 65% at the end of the season..

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#52 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,713 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 08, 2012 - 09:33 PM

You can't have a billion people telling you how to shoot free throws when your struggling. It ruins your concentration and your focusing on pleasing people instead of actually focusing on making your shots. Lakers' Staff should just get Steve Nash or an assistant coach to help Dwight with his free throws.

#53 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,165 posts

Posted December 09, 2012 - 06:17 PM

At least he's better than this guy...........

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#54 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 404 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted December 09, 2012 - 08:11 PM

I just seen a stat that showed Dwight actually shoots worse every quarter, shooting something like 42% in the fourth

#55 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:29 AM

RT @LakersReporter: You noticed @DwightHoward hit 2 clutch FT's w/2:27 left to bring LAL w/in 2. In last 5 games, Howard is 20 of 29 (69%).

#56 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,803 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 12:39 AM

He did a great job these last couple of games..

We now hope for consistency rather than made shots..

But again its a great improvement, hope he continues that way..

#57 GO24Seven

GO24Seven

Rookie

• 475 posts
  • Name:Gilbert
  • Fan Since:Born A LAKER
  • Fav. Laker:ANY 1 IN the Purple & Gold

Posted December 23, 2012 - 02:49 AM

He's made an adjustment, Dwight is shooting a couple inches further back from the free-throw line. 20 of 29 (69%) the Last 5 games. I'll take that.

#58 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,517 posts

Posted December 23, 2012 - 07:29 AM

He was shooting 45% from the line in November and is now shooting 57% in December.

And as you guys just said, his last 5 games he's 69%. Quite a huge improvement. Digging it!

#59 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,164 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted December 23, 2012 - 08:09 AM

I knew it was all mental with him, he has a pretty good form and follow through, he made 80% in practice

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#60 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 23, 2012 - 09:25 AM

As long as he makes the important clutch free throws, I'm fine with him should 50 percent.

Edited by Ham, December 23, 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users