20 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,422 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted December 01, 2012 - 03:47 PM

There are few players in NBA history with the work ethic of Kobe Bryant, which is both why he's managed to stay at an All-Star level for so many seasons and why he managed to fulfill has massive potential in the first place. Whenever Kobe has the opportunity to improve his game, he takes it. He's also fanatically competitive and serious about his job.
It makes sense, then, that Bryant would have been a major influence on the generation of stars that followed his ascendance. Kobe, for one, is willing to credit himself for that impact. From Dave McMenamin for ESPNLosAngeles.com (via SLAM):

"Just by observation of some of the younger players that I face now, they wind up having a similar mentality that I had," Bryant said when asked how he has changed the sport during his time as a pro. "Because growing up, they were obviously watching me when I was 21, 22 years old and just kind of by any means necessary get things done, not afraid of the big moment and extremely competitive. They all have these work ethics now and most of them get up at five in the morning to train like I do. It's pretty cool."

Kobe has never been shy about talking up his accomplishments, so we shouldn't be terribly surprised that he has acknowledged his influence on the current crop of NBA stars younger than 30. What's most notable about these comments is that they don't even come across as particularly arrogant. Really, they're more like fact.
Bryant first arrived on the scene as a brash youngster who attended to his high school prom with Brandy Norwood and released a singularly terrible album. But that attitude quickly gave way to a more serious approach dependent on all-out effort and single-minded focus. If Kobe (and many failed superstars of the same era) initially tried to be like Michael Jordan by mimicking his global brand, then he corrected course by fixating on the same intense competitiveness that drove His Airness.
It's easy to see a similar approach today in players like LeBron James and Kevin Durant. Yes, those guys don't shy away from courting celebrity, but at a basic level they try to present themselves as professionals. While Jordan always emphasized that part of his game by winning, no one has fetishized determination quite like Kobe. He showed that it could be replicated. While he hasn't been the only influence on his younger peers, he sure as heck gave them one way to get to where they are today.

Link: http://sports.yahoo....dGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Man im gonna miss this idol... when he ends his career its gonna be something new breath in the NBA but sure Kobe is my idol... I love him and I love his determination.

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,232 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted December 01, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, Kobe is the last of a dying breed, I don't think we will ever see a player with his work ethic and determination, but then again same thing could've been said about Michaels than came Kobe, So we'll see

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,422 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted December 01, 2012 - 03:56 PM

But Kobe is really a special player! I wanna know how he does it. He has a great focus on this stuff. WOW :)

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#4 Twenty_Four

Twenty_Four

Rookie

• 246 posts
  • Fav. Laker:black mamba

Posted December 01, 2012 - 04:35 PM

There's always that one player that comes along every generation or two that redefines everything, hopefully we'll have him in a purple and gold uniform

Posted Image

#5 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,791 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 01, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Open your eyes, he's already playing in south beach.

2div

#6 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,324 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:20 PM

D. Wade had a good run

#7 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,544 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:23 PM

Lebron is no Kobe or Jordan

#8 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:26 PM

LOL no. LeBron can't hold Kobe's jockstrap career wise.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, December 01, 2012 - 06:08 PM.

htCCl0m.png

#9 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,791 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:32 PM

U guys really still hating on lebron? Smh.

Look I'm not comparing him to anybody, but right now he's the best player in the NBA bar none. Is his career as good as Kobe's? Hell no, but he has the rest of his career to play out.

Dude is unstoppable. What knocks u guys have on him? Not clutch? No j? No post game? What else does guy need to do get some [expletive]in respect.

2div

#10 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,544 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:42 PM

Look I'm not comparing him to anybody, but right now he's the best player in the NBA bar none. Is his career as good as Kobe's? Hell no, but he has the rest of his career to play out.

Dude is unstoppable. What knocks u guys have on him? Not clutch? No j? No post game? What else does guy need to do get some [expletive]in respect.

No one here is hating on him. He might be the best player right now but he is not Kobe or Jordan.
Kobe and Jordan are killers. They rip your heart out at the end of games and are fundamentally sound because they practiced 24/7 and have an incredible work ethic. They are winners...that is why they have 5 and 6 championships.

The same cannot be said for Lebron.

Edited by LakeShow805, December 01, 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#11 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:43 PM

No one is hating on him, but he's nowhere near as good Kobe has been throughout his career. He finally won a championship in a lockout shortened season good for him, but he's still gotta win at least four more. He's a great player and the best in the league right now, but he should be. Kobe is past his prime while LeBron is in his.
htCCl0m.png

#12 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,232 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 05:54 PM

LOL no. LeBron can't hold Kobe's jockstrap.

Woah, didn't you say LeBron is the best player in the league, but now you're saying he cant hold Kobe's jockstrap... which one is it

#13 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,544 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Woah, didn't you say LeBron is the best player in the league, but now you're saying he cant hold Kobe's jockstrap... which one is it

I think he means career wise

#14 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 06:07 PM

I was talking about from a career perspective. Kobe has had a MUCH better career than LeBron. Sure he isn't the better player right now, but that's because he's 34 years old with aton of mileage and no longer in his prime.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, December 01, 2012 - 06:08 PM.

htCCl0m.png

#15 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,232 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 06:12 PM

I was talking about from a career perspective. Kobe has had a MUCH better career than LeBron. Sure he isn't the better player right now, but that's because he's 34 years old with aton of mileage and no longer in his prime.

I misunderstood you, my bad and I agree at the moment

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 01, 2012 - 06:13 PM

Kobe is top 5 all time

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Kobe is top 5 all time

Without question and you could certainly argue that he's top 3. I would say MJ, Kareem, and then Kobe.
htCCl0m.png

#18 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,232 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 06:32 PM

I put Wilt as #1, his career averages was godly like, plus he never fouled out in a game

#19 AR12

AR12

Rookie

• 572 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe

Posted December 01, 2012 - 08:16 PM

I put Wilt as #1, his career averages was godly like, plus he never fouled out in a game

Wilt is amazing and all, but how can you put him above Kareem? KAJ is a top player at all levels of basketball (high school, college, young pro, old pro, playground). I mean, look at his career points! Kobe started when he was 17, scored 81 in a game and STILL can't touch Kareem's points. I'm saying
1. Kareem
2. Jordan
3. Magic
4. Kobe
5. Wilt
6. Mbenga
ONLY GREATNESS EQUALS GREATNESS

#20 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,722 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted December 01, 2012 - 08:20 PM

I put Kobe at 7th just because hes playing. When he wins another 2 rings. yes I said it. 2 rings an get 36K points with more all nba team. he will be at 3 when his career is done

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users