21 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 01, 2012 - 09:57 AM

http://www.latimes.c...1,0,51758.story

Kobe Bryant is happier now. Slightly. Maybe.

He was in an angry mood at Thursday's practice, calling out his teammates for not being tough enough in games, The Times has learned.

It wasn't a long rant, maybe half a minute, but he left practice in a hurry, stalking off the court toward the end of it, irritated that the first team had lost to the reserves several times. He knocked some items off a table at midcourt on his way to the locker room and did not talk to reporters who were let in after his outburst.

"It was worth seeing," said a person at Lakers practice that day.

Maybe it worked. The energized Lakers beat the Denver Nuggets, 122-103, Friday at Staples Center.

Bryant's message wasn't light. It contained expletives and hammered at the same theme. The Lakers should not be playing this poorly. Everyone needed to be stronger emotionally and physically.

Can a tirade save a season? Too early to tell. Much too early. But it didn't hurt Friday for a team that improved to 8-8.

Bryant had 14 points and eight assists, his anger ebbing after several days of smoldering from the Lakers' 79-77 loss Tuesday to Indiana. He had 40 points that game while fighting flu-like symptoms but also had 10 turnovers.

He was less error-prone Friday (four turnovers), as were his teammates.

Dwight Howard was strong almost across the board, scoring 28 points with 20 rebounds and three blocked shots.

And — what's this? — the Lakers' reserves actually contributed. Big time.

Antawn Jamison was more than solid, scoring 33 points as the Lakers' backups outscored those of the Nuggets, 61-47. It was the first time a Lakers reserve scored more than 30 since Shaquille O'Neal had 33 in 1998 against Golden State.

"Just being patient," Jamison said, "and knowing the things I can do on the court would contribute to the team."

Jodie Meeks had 21 points, including five three-pointers in the second quarter, as he and Jamison became the first pair of Lakers off the bench to score more than 20 in a game since Bryant (25 points) and Nick Van Exel (20 points) did it against Utah in 1998.

As unhappy as Bryant was Thursday, Howard played with youthful exuberance Friday, smiling often and thoroughly enjoying a return to relevance after averaging 11.5 in the previous four games.

On one third-quarter play, he one-handed a dunk off a lob from Pau Gasol. Then he gazed in mock admiration at his right hand as he went back downcourt.

He made a three-pointer with 9.8 seconds to play, the second of his career, and laughed as he left the court. It was the Lakers' 17th three-pointer, tying the team record for threes in a regulation game (against Seattle in 2003).

Bryant was still tight-lipped after the game, if not dour. "If guys are too happy, I need to bring them back down to Earth tomorrow," he said with more than a slight edge.

As Steve Nash's left leg slowly tried to heal — 30 days already — Bryant had taken over the Lakers' offense, handling the ball almost exclusively with Nash and Steve Blake out.

Posted Image

"Kobe is the type of player that he's going to try to get you to the promised land, and if he feels like people are struggling, he's going to take over more," Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said beforehand.

D'Antoni also addressed Bryant's unhappiness since the Indiana game.

"I'm sure he wasn't happy about it. He felt like he was trying to get us the win," D'Antoni said. "I'd rather go to battle with something like that. He's got it tuned up as hard as you can go, and that's all you can ask for as a coach. Everybody should hold themselves accountable."

It undoubtedly tied into Bryant's anger Thursday. Whether it related to Friday's victory, the Lakers were all smiles afterward.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,099 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:02 AM

Boss.

#3 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:07 AM

This is why I love Kobe. The guy wants to win so badly. If you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing you best believe Kobe is gonna let you know it. That's what you need from your leader. That's why he is the one of the best of all time. Doesn't settle than anything less than being the absolute best.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, December 01, 2012 - 10:09 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#4 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Tellem Kobe.

#5 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,418 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:33 AM

Probably called out Pau lol

#6 The Next Stig

The Next Stig

Greatest

• 453 posts
  • Name:Jr

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:36 AM

Probably called out Pau lol

Maybe a hidden message to Mitch .

templaRS_zpsfc271f2c.jpg

Follow me on Instagram- Socalk1d

#7 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:43 AM

Maybe a hidden message to Mitch .

Posted Image

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,529 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:51 AM

wish I could have seen that video.

#9 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:52 AM

Lordbe is a angry :bow:

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

• 40,383 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 10:59 AM

bigfetz
Jimmy The Saint

• Posted Image
Posted Today, 10:51 AM
wish I could have seen that video.

TMZ will release it soon.

Edited by    , December 01, 2012 - 10:59 AM.

yo.

#11 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,261 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:08 AM

When was the last time 3 Lakers had 20+ points and Kobe wasn't one of them? Damn.
EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,087 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:15 AM

When was the last time 3 Lakers had 20+ points and Kobe wasn't one of them? Damn.

Not just that, two leading scorers in their top 3 were bench players. THAT is something. We need to keep it up because the Nuggets DID bring their A game for sure it just showed how good we can be even against another teams A game IF we bring ours every night.

Edited by Majesty, December 01, 2012 - 11:15 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#13 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm not sure. But Jamison's big game last night reminds me of when Caron Butler was on the team. The guy would put up 20-30 points occasionally. Him and Kobe were quite a scoring duo.

#14 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,099 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm not too high on 61 points that the bench scored yesterday. It won't happen ever again. But what I was happy to see was their aggressiveness. I mean Meeks, for example, looked to shoot behind the arc every time he got the ball. Remember after he scored his 5th three in a row, he tried to get the ball, you could see he wanted it badly for heat check and starters, Kobe, Pau tried to get to him. That is what I want to see. Aggressiveness, awareness. Whether the end result is make or miss does not really matter. In the end, it will pay off. One of the reasons Fisher is known as clutch is because he is aggressive. He doesn't fear the moment. He doesn't shy away from responsibility. This is what we should try to establish throughout the regular season. Once players know what they have to do, then we will be truly unstoppable with the talent we have on this team.

#15 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,288 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted December 01, 2012 - 12:04 PM

But he is right I mean we are at 8-8 with that team!!! COME ON LETS GO LAKERS!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#16 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted December 01, 2012 - 01:10 PM

The same guy that said chill out that things were gonna be okay as expected.

Posted Image

• 40,383 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 01:12 PM

^ Told us all to shut up, but he couldn't heed his own advice. Glad so though.

yo.

#18 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,029 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted December 01, 2012 - 01:58 PM

Nice work Kobe. I would love to see that speech haha

#19 evil Monkey

evil Monkey

Rookie

• 418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 01, 2012 - 03:04 PM

^ Told us all to shut up, but he couldn't heed his own advice. Glad so though.

Lashing out at the players to pick it up more has no barring on his "shut up, we're working on it" comments.
Posted Image

L.E.G.I.T.

• 40,383 posts

Posted December 01, 2012 - 03:07 PM

He basically said no worries whatsoever, we're perfectly fine. Then Mike Brown gets fired, then he lashes into his teammates. Kobe doesn't exactly always tell the truth. That's fine though. As the leader, sometimes you have to keep a confident demeanor about things even if the results aren't showing at the time and you yourself don't truly believe it.

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users