#41 CameronStewart

CameronStewart

Rookie

• 492 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 30, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Actually to be fair, if Pop had done that at a Spurs home game I would be very annoyed, thinking about it more, an away game is not so bad, but basically it's not a good trend to start and its not a positive message to be sending out.

#42 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 08:18 AM

Sitting players for a home game is useless. A game where you get to be driven home, or drive home to your own house, sleep in your own bed

Compared to going to an airport, flying out, air pressure changes, getting home anywhere from 12-3 in the morning depending on time zone, having to drive home

And that's if your not on a road trip having to fly to a hotel and sleep on a hotel bed
Posted Image

#43 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,027 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted November 30, 2012 - 08:19 AM

Didn't someone from the league office say last year that strategic resting of players is allowed?

#44 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 08:55 AM

Didn't someone from the league office say last year that strategic resting of players is allowed?

Didn't David stern say Dell demps can make whatever trades he believed would help the franchise

David stern says a lot of things
Posted Image

#45 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 30, 2012 - 09:25 AM

any negative publicity that SA receives is fine with me. :thumsbup:

Edited by Windu, November 30, 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#46 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,027 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted November 30, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Didn't David stern say Dell demps can make whatever trades he believed would help the franchise

David stern says a lot of things

True, I just thought last year since it was kind of the same issue regarding the Spurs as well and nothing happened, why would Stern suddenly get pissed. I guess he just lost a lot of money here.

Edited by bfc1125roy, November 30, 2012 - 10:10 AM.

#47 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,292 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted November 30, 2012 - 11:37 AM

"The strategic resting of particular players on particular nights is within the discretion of the teams," deputy commissioner Adam Silver
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#48 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,035 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 02:14 PM

MIAMI (AP) -- The San Antonio Spurs will be punished by the NBA for their decision to send four top players home and not make them available to play in Miami against the Heat on Thursday night.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said the decision to rest Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green - the core of the Spurs - was in the team's best interest. The league wasn't happy about it, and Commissioner David Stern promised that San Antonio would be penalized.

''I apologize to all NBA fans,'' Stern said. ''This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming.''

Stern's statement was released roughly the same time as tip-off in Miami for a nationally televised game.

Before the game, Popovich said he decided to sit his core when he saw how challenging this particular part of the schedule was for his team. Thursday's matchup ended a six-games-in-nine-nights swing for the Spurs, who won their first five on the trip.

''Everybody has to make decisions about their schedule, about players playing and back-to-backs and trips and that sort of thing,'' Popovich said before the game. ''In our case, this month we've had 11 away games, after tonight. We've had an eight-day trip and a 10-day trip, and we're ending it with four (games) in five nights here. I think it'd be unwise to be playing our guys in that kind of a situation, given their history.''

It's not unlike other moves Popovich has made before; in fact, not only did he give Duncan, Parker and Ginobili time off together toward the end of last season, which was condensed by a lockout, he actually flew home to San Antonio with them and took a two-game, pre-playoff sabbatical.

This time, when Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Green flew home - reportedly on a Southwest Airlines flight on Thursday from Orlando, where the team played one night earlier - Popovich stayed with the Spurs for the trip to Miami.

Duncan is in his 16th NBA season, Parker his 12th and Ginobili his 11th. Green is a kid compared to those guys - 25 years old and a veteran of only 110 NBA games - but Popovich said he chose to rest him as well because Green has played a lot.

Green leads the Spurs with 496 minutes played this season, which was 44th-most in the NBA entering Thursday's games. The Spurs aren't expected to practice Friday, then they face Memphis on Saturday in San Antonio.

''Perhaps it'll give us an opportunity to stay on the court with Memphis on Saturday night,'' Popovich said. ''Historically, when you're on a long road trip, that first game when you come home is really tough. And Memphis is one of the best teams in the league. They're of much more concern to us than playing four games in five nights. It's pretty logical.''

Given Stern's statement, it's also logical to think that the Spurs could know their penalty by Saturday as well.

Popovich also said facing the Heat had nothing to do with his decision.

''I've gotten letters from those people before when I've done it and I understand their perspective totally,'' Popovich said. ''If I was taking my 6-year-old son or daughter to the game, I'd want him or her to see everybody. And if they weren't there, I'd be disappointed. So I understand that perspective. Hopefully, people in that position will understand my perspective, what my priority is - the basketball team and what's best for it.''

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra said Popovich's move didn't affect Miami's preparation.

''Each organization has a big-picture view of what they are trying to get accomplished and I think the league respects that,'' Spoelstra said.

Popovich had Boris Diaw, Matt Bonner, Tiago Splitter, Nando De Colo and Patty Mills in his starting lineup. Besides the four players sent home, Stephen Jackson and Kawhi Leonard are injured, meaning the Spurs had only four substitutes available.

''Obviously,'' Bonner said, ''we're a little short-handed.''

The Heat had one lineup move as well. With Shane Battier out with a sprained right knee, Spoelstra moved Rashard Lewis into Miami's starting lineup alongside LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Mario Chalmers.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#49 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 903 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted November 30, 2012 - 02:26 PM

When this happens in the late season, when teams already have a seed, it's not a problem.

#50 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,094 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 02:31 PM

http://sports.yahoo....-194828970.html

Woj just went off. I agree 100 percent on what he says. And what is wrong with some of you? It's almost been a year since Stern the Emperor nixed the deal that would have gotten us CP3. Never forget!

#51 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,023 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Chris Mannix@ChrisMannixSI

NBA fines the Spurs $250,000 for leaving Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Green at home for last night's game at Miami.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#52 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,023 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:11 PM

Chris Mannix@ChrisMannixSI

Stern cites fact that it was SA's only trip to Miami and that SA "failed to alert the Heat, the media or the league in a timely manner."

#53 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,094 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:12 PM

:facepalm:

#54 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Jesus Christ...250k.

Posted Image

#55 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,023 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:17 PM

I agree on both sides, yes Pop is known for resting players, but its 15 games in the season! Should they rest on the latter part of the season

#56 ap1_alan

ap1_alan

Rookie

• 155 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Shaq

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:34 PM

Spurs are 17 games into the season, 11 being on the road, and this was the end of a 4 games in 5 nights trip.

Fatigued players get injured easier, Pop was protecting his older players. I don't see anything wrong with it.

If they're going to fine them they need to fine every team that rests players, regardless of the time of the season.

#57 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:37 PM

thread should be changed to "pop decides to be awesome"

i love the poking of the bear. people should do it a little more often with stern's exit not too far. i hate stern so naturally i'd side with anyone and everyone else when it comes to him
Posted Image

#58 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,010 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:41 PM

ha ha, love it. should have been fined more

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,377 posts

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:43 PM

250K? That's BULL[expletive]! They should've been fined at least a million.

yo.

#60 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 30, 2012 - 03:45 PM

i didn't know there was a [expletive]ing rule for this. stern is an [expletive]. 250k? wowoww

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users