Photo

Injury Updates: Blake out 6-8 weeks with surgery (pg. 19 hopes to return mid-January, via Mike Bresnahan)

Nash and Blake Update Blake: Out for two at least

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#381 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Blake is a more traditional PG than Duhon. Duhon played (plays) PG because of his size. He's a smart guy and he'd probably have been much more successful if he was a better scorer but he just doesn't have the athleticism, handles or passing ability of a traditional floor general.

Blake's handles are much better. He's not much more athletic but he's bigger and taller. I'd give Blake an edge on defense also because he plays passing lanes better (not a great or terrible on-ball defender either).

Blake is a backup PG.

If you're crying about not having a real good option at back-up 1, you should have been screaming your head off to land Barbosa in the off-season. I'm still confused as to why they would even consider keeping DJO, cutting Goudelock and NOT signing Barbosa...that would have been the answer to our problems no matter which offense we ran.

You see Blake is not a traditional PG and Kobe actually lets Duhon bring the ball up the court something Steve Blake couldn't do last year or the beginning of this year. Blake usually turns the ball over when pressured and still gives Kobe the main ball handling duties.... Morris is the only one who can dribble and can create for himself and others but he is a poor decision maker and some games plays OUT OF CONTROL and can also turn over the ball by trying to make college plays in the NBA...

To be honest Blake only shoots threes and sometimes makes a pass but he doesn't shoot better than Duhon or facilitate the ball like Duhon But blake does get the ball out of his hands and doesn't waste 10 or 15 seconds off the shot clock.. ... and Blake plays better defense than Duhon

But Morris plays better defense than both can hit more shots and COULD (key word "could") be a better offensive player than both if he could actually make the right decisions on offense and play within himself (which he has only done for a handful of games)...

But out of all three Blake and Duhon ARE NOT staying here if any deal comes along and Morris could possibly stay here if he starts playing more consistent but out of the 3 Morris has the most upside while the other two are pretty much here till we start trading players

We honestly do not have a PG that has an overall skill set that we could rely on night in and night out

#382 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,515 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 30, 2012 - 01:13 PM

Morris is the only one who can dribble and can create for himself and others

but he is a poor decision maker and some games plays OUT OF CONTROL and can also turn over the ball by trying to make college plays in the NBA...

Stop fighting against yourself.

And actually Blake does get more ball handling duties than both Duhon and Morris do, because he can actually dribble and play off the pick and roll and facilitate to others and not make those "college" mistakes. Morris is not a better decision maker or dribbler than Blake and he is not better at creating for others than Blake, the reason why is the second thing I bolded.

Morris is playing well. But he isn't a better passer, dribbler, or decision maker than Blake. His inexperience shows when it's time for him to make decisions. There is a reason D'antoni thinks Morris is better suited as a 2 that has the potential to be a combo guard.

They want Morris to be their defensive 2 guard that they can stick on a dangerous offensive player on the other team to take pressure off of Kobe and to save Nash's legs. If D'antoni has found sokmeone that can guard the point guards that give Nash trouble than it's a HUGE victory. That is what Morris is. That's why D'antoni doesn't want to make Morris the backup point guard, he knows and sees Morris' strengths and weaknesses so has an idea what would work when it comes to what to ask Morris to do. As should you.

Edited by Majesty, December 30, 2012 - 01:13 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#383 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted December 30, 2012 - 01:16 PM

And actually Blake does get more ball handling duties than both Duhon and Morris do, because he can actually dribble and play off the pick and roll and facilitate to others and not make those "college" mistakes. Morris is not a better decision maker or dribbler than Blake and he is not better at creating for others than Blake, the reason why is the second thing I bolded.

Morris is playing well. But he isn't a better passer, dribbler, or decision maker than Blake. His inexperience shows when it's time for him to make decisions. There is a reason D'antoni thinks Morris is better suited as a 2 that has the potential to be a combo guard.

They want Morris to be their defensive 2 guard that they can stick on a dangerous offensive player on the other team to take pressure off of Kobe and to save Nash's legs. If D'antoni has found sokmeone that can guard the point guards that give Nash trouble than it's a HUGE victory. That is what Morris is. That's why D'antoni doesn't want to make Morris the backup point guard, he knows and sees Morris' strengths and weaknesses so has an idea what would work when it comes to what to ask Morris to do. As should you.

You do know not everyone has to have the same opinion as you.

#384 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,515 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 01:26 PM

You do know not everyone has to have the same opinion as you.

Nope, but when I feel said person is overrating said player I have the right to tell them what I think.

Someone who follows Morris as often as CJ trying to say that he's a better ball handler and decision maker than Blake is silly. Especially when in the very next sentence he says precisely why Morris isn't.

#385 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 01:48 PM

Blake CAN NOT create for others he didn't do that ALL last year and did not do that this year... I don't know where people are getting that Blake is a good pick and roll player when the last 3 years he's been stinking it up.....all he does is barely make it up the court to hand it over to kobe and sometimes turns it over when he does that! and he runs into a corner to spot up for a 3 ... he doesn't create for others AT ALL LOL the only credit I can give him is that he is a low risk PG and that also means that he's not going to make any passes that he feels are dangerous or might be intercepted.. LOL Morris will try to make the play and then FAIL horribly but with time and experience he will hopefully Improve he has shown flashes that he could be good...

Morris is definitely a better ball handler than blake I'm sorry he can actually break someone down and score and actually get to the rim off the dribble I've only seen blake get to the rim once in 2 years

#386 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,515 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 02:00 PM

Blake CAN NOT create for others he didn't do that ALL last year and did not do that this year... I don't know where people are getting that Blake is a good pick and roll player when the last 3 years he's been stinking it up

You never watched him in portland, and you never watched how effective he was when the Lakers played pick and roll with him. Understandable, but just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there. Blake is very effective off the pick and roll, the Lakers just didn't run it that often and neither did Mike Brown. You'll see what I mean when he gets into D'antoni's system.

.....all he does is barely make it up the court to hand it over to kobe and sometimes turns it over when he does that! and he runs into a corner to spot up for a 3 ...

We're talking about Blake, not Morris. :)

1) he doesn't create for others AT ALL LOL

and then

the only credit I can give him is that he is a low risk PG and that also means that he's not going to make any passes that he feels are dangerous or might be intercepted..

You're fighting yourself again X_X

LOL Morris will try to make the play and then FAIL horribly but with time and experience he will hopefully Improve he has shown flashes that he could be good...

When Morris can come off a pick effectively and hit a stop and pop jump shot consistently let me know, because Blake can and has, but he's not a PnR player, yet you obviously think Morris is better at it I'm sure ;)

You also miss that Blake was looking good when picks came his way in the semi Princeton offense whenever we DID run a proper set and Blake got a lot of shots he converted on when things were ran correctly, to the point people were actually shocked in game day threads that Blake was taking shots off the dribble, being aggressive and making them.

D'antoni has reason to be excited at seeing him in THIS PnR heavy system. There's a reason he's wanted Blake for years, so obviously he sees and saw something you didn't. Lucky for you I've seen how effective Blake can be off the PnR so I know why D'antoni is excited and has been after Blake for years.

Morris is definitely a better ball handler than blake I'm sorry he can actually break someone down and score and actually get to the rim off the dribble I've only seen blake get to the rim once in 2 years

Breaking someone down off the dribble and running through an open lane because the defense doesn't want to leave Dwight Howard are two different things. Learn them :)

#387 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 02:01 PM

Nope, but when I feel said person is overrating said player I have the right to tell them what I think.

Someone who follows Morris as often as CJ trying to say that he's a better ball handler and decision maker than Blake is silly. Especially when in the very next sentence he says precisely why Morris isn't.

He is a better ball handler but I never said he was a better decision maker... I said he is a better ball handler and he can create for others but is a poor decision maker meaning that he has the ability to do it but he executes it incorrectly

#388 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,515 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 02:02 PM

He is a better ball handler but I never said he was a better decision maker... I said he is a better ball handler and he can create for others but is a poor decision maker meaning that he has the ability to do it but he executes it incorrectly

I answered your ball handler thing above :) enjoy CJ ^_^

#389 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 02:21 PM

You never watched him in portland, and you never watched how effective he was when the Lakers played pick and roll with him. Understandable, but just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there. Blake is very effective off the pick and roll, the Lakers just didn't run it that often and neither did Mike Brown. You'll see what I mean when he gets into D'antoni's system.

We're talking about Blake, not Morris. :)

You're fighting yourself again X_X

When Morris can come off a pick effectively and hit a stop and pop jump shot consistently let me know, because Blake can and has, but he's not a PnR player, yet you obviously think Morris is better at it I'm sure ;)

You also miss that Blake was looking good when picks came his way in the semi Princeton offense whenever we DID run a proper set and Blake got a lot of shots he converted on when things were ran correctly, to the point people were actually shocked in game day threads that Blake was taking shots off the dribble, being aggressive and making them.

D'antoni has reason to be excited at seeing him in THIS PnR heavy system. There's a reason he's wanted Blake for years, so obviously he sees and saw something you didn't. Lucky for you I've seen how effective Blake can be off the PnR so I know why D'antoni is excited and has been after Blake for years.

Breaking someone down off the dribble and running through an open lane because the defense doesn't want to leave Dwight Howard are two different things. Learn them :)

IDC what he did in portland that has nothing to do with how he is now

Blake runs into a corner because he can't do anything else and Morris doesn't have any plays drawn up for him and right now that's his roll for him on the team but he can create for others and get to the rim and break defenders down....

Being a low risk PG means that you don't even attempt to make the right play because you don't want to get a turnover so Instead Blake usually sticks to hand off passes It's a shock to see him make a play

#390 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,515 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 02:36 PM

IDC what he did in portland that has nothing to do with how he is now

Tell me how you do that when he barely got the chance to play the pick and roll while he was here, and when he did he did so effectively.

So why wouldn't I reference his skill in the pick and roll? It's not like that skill has diminished any and he plays it effectively when he gets the chance.

Kobe hasn't played in the triangle in 2 years. Am I to assume he suddenly sucks at it now?

See where your logic is flawed?

Blake runs into a corner because he can't do anything else and Morris doesn't have any plays drawn up for him and right now that's his roll for him on the team but he can create for others and get to the rim and break defenders down....

Morris NEVER has broken a defender down consistently. NEVER. If you think he has you haven't been watching enough of him. Morris NEVER breaks defenders down, what he does is take advantage of a hole that was provided by the defense not wanting to leave Howard alone, or being on the fast break.

You aren't fooling anyone if you try to even insinuate that Morris breaks defenders down. That is one of the silliest things I've heard, especially when you take into context whenever he TRIES to break a defender down he winds up over dribbling the ball and turning it over or running the shotclock low or taking a bad shot. CJ when the guy actually broke a defender down with a dribble step back, HE didn't know what the heck to do after the move worked! I'm sure you remember this. he did a dribble move the defender actually fell for and then he stopped almost in awe that it actually worked and then forced up an out of rhythm jumper because he took too long to react after the defender bit. And the shot clanked.

Morris doesn't even think he breaks defenses down, and when he actually is successful in the iso against a defender he didn't know what to do next because he was shocked.

Being a low risk PG means that you don't even attempt to make the right play because you don't want to get a turnover so Instead Blake usually sticks to hand off passes It's a shock to see him make a play

Wrong. It means that Blake knows when to pick his spots and usually in that scenario makes the right decision. In the pick and roll he's very effective at making the correct pass or spotting up and shooting if he's open enough, heck he was even doing that early on in this season when the opportunity was given and they actually ran a set correctly. He's shown that time and time again when the Lakers actually ran something pick and roll related for him or whether he was a guy moving off the ball when a pick and roll came that he could do that effectively. He's done it much more often than Morris has ever "broken down" a defender off the dribble. Which is pretty much never.

Since you want to take 2 plays from Morris over the entire year to try to come up with the opinion that he's a guy that can break defenses down.... I sure as heck can take the YEARS i've watched Blake play and the the number of times he's been effective off the pick and roll both in Portland, and when the Lakers ran it for him here to say he knows what he's doing as far as the pick and roll is related.

Blake has a MUCH LARGER sample size to take from than you have for Morris that you draw your gigantic conclusions about him from. So trying to make it seem like Blake hasn't shown PnR ability enough while in the same breath trying to take two plays of the year from Morris as enough evidence he can "break defenses down" is just silly.

Edited by Majesty, December 30, 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#391 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm with cj in that Blake cannot create for others at all.

#392 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 03:04 PM

Tell me how you do that when he barely got the chance to play the pick and roll while he was here, and when he did he did so effectively.

So why wouldn't I reference his skill in the pick and roll? It's not like that skill has diminished any and he plays it effectively when he gets the chance.

Kobe hasn't played in the triangle in 2 years. Am I to assume he suddenly sucks at it now?

See where your logic is flawed?

Morris NEVER has broken a defender down consistently. NEVER. If you think he has you haven't been watching enough of him. Morris NEVER breaks defenders down, what he does is take advantage of a hole that was provided by the defense not wanting to leave Howard alone, or being on the fast break.

You aren't fooling anyone if you try to even insinuate that Morris breaks defenders down. That is one of the silliest things I've heard, especially when you take into context whenever he TRIES to break a defender down he winds up over dribbling the ball and turning it over or running the shotclock low or taking a bad shot. CJ when the guy actually broke a defender down with a dribble step back, HE didn't know what the heck to do after the move worked! I'm sure you remember this. he did a dribble move the defender actually fell for and then he stopped almost in awe that it actually worked and then forced up an out of rhythm jumper because he took too long to react after the defender bit. And the shot clanked.

Morris doesn't even think he breaks defenses down, and when he actually is successful in the iso against a defender he didn't know what to do next because he was shocked.

Wrong. It means that Blake knows when to pick his spots and usually in that scenario makes the right decision. In the pick and roll he's very effective at making the correct pass or spotting up and shooting if he's open enough, heck he was even doing that early on in this season when the opportunity was given and they actually ran a set correctly. He's shown that time and time again when the Lakers actually ran something pick and roll related for him or whether he was a guy moving off the ball when a pick and roll came that he could do that effectively. He's done it much more often than Morris has ever "broken down" a defender off the dribble. Which is pretty much never.

Since you want to take 2 plays from Morris over the entire year to try to come up with the opinion that he's a guy that can break defenses down.... I sure as heck can take the YEARS i've watched Blake play and the the number of times he's been effective off the pick and roll both in Portland, and when the Lakers ran it for him here to say he knows what he's doing as far as the pick and roll is related.

Blake has a MUCH LARGER sample size to take from than you have for Morris that you draw your gigantic conclusions about him from. So trying to make it seem like Blake hasn't shown PnR ability enough while in the same breath trying to take two plays of the year from Morris as enough evidence he can "break defenses down" is just silly.

LOL idk why you post these huge paragraphs when that whole paragraph could be summed up in two sentences

#393 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 30, 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm with cj in that Blake cannot create for others at all.

And I disagree...Blake is better suited for this type of offense than the Triangle or Princeton...kuma.

Edited by GCMD, December 30, 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#394 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts

Posted December 30, 2012 - 03:48 PM

And I disagree...Blake is better suited for this type of offense than the Triangle or Princeton...kuma.

We will see when he returns in January

#395 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,515 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 03:10 AM

Mike D'antoni on Steve Blake's return

It's more or less the process of getting him back in shape so that he is able to be himself. But he can play, he's got the skill there's no doubt about that. But right now it's just the process of getting back in shape, going through things without the pain and he's a few weeks away from that but when he comes back he'll be ready. I'm not worried about him stepping back in and playing. I'm just aware that he has to go through this process of getting himself back into shape, so I don't worry about that.

D'antoni on whether or not Blake will struggle running the offense

No, are you kidding me? No, he KNOWS this offense, it would take him 2 seconds, he knows it, and he's ready. It's just about him getting back in game shape and timing but he'll be there, trust me on that. He can play.

D'antoni seems very sure about it as well as Blake's ability in this offense pretty much saying it would take the guy 2 seconds to get acclimated.

Like I said, Blake is a PnR point guard, D'antoni knows that too and he knows this offense fits him perfectly and D'antoni knows why, as he's been watching Blake for years, and apparently Blake already "gets it" so yeah. Don't know why people keep debating that he can't play the PnR. Hopefully that ends now.

Edited by Majesty, December 31, 2012 - 03:17 AM.

#396 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,802 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 31, 2012 - 07:43 PM

One of the problems is most people have seen Blake struggle to adjust to playing off the ball when he's spent most of his LIFE as a fairly ball-dominant PG, nyu. He's a pretty good backup PG...one that's been masquerading as a starter, nyu.

Duhon, on the other hand, reminds me of Fisher...nyu. Smart player and person, just not gifted athletically enough to be a floor general in the NBA, nyu.

#397 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,789 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:47 PM

like what GCMD and Majesty are saying, you guys are basing Steve Blake off of him playing as a triangle PG and an off-ball, spot-up shooting PG (with Brown). that was not his strong suit.

he is very much suited to D'antoni's run & gun, pick & roll heavy offense.

2div

#398 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:49 PM

like what GCMD and Majesty are saying, you guys are basing Steve Blake off of him playing as a triangle PG and an off-ball, spot-up shooting PG (with Brown). that was not his strong suit.

he is very much suited to D'antoni's run & gun, pick & roll heavy offense.

Steve Blake is Steve Blake, either way u put it he's still a below average backup point guard.

#399 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,789 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:54 PM

he was a decent starter before he came to the lakers where he was forced into the triangle

2div

#400 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:57 PM

he was a decent starter before he came to the lakers where he was forced into the triangle

Decent? You're pushing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users