Photo

Injury Updates: Blake out 6-8 weeks with surgery (pg. 19 hopes to return mid-January, via Mike Bresnahan)

Nash and Blake Update Blake: Out for two at least

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#361 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 3,959 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thing is he was THE guy on the bench and was relegated to have to play two separate positions. He won't have as much responsibility as he had to have last year. Having Metta and Meeks on the bench right now makes his job a lot easier.

So his responsibility goes to what it always should have been.

Be a back up point guard. Facilitate among the wing, make good decisions on the drive and dish, use screens effectively and play PnR.

That's all stuff he's been asked to do his entire career and he plays it well as well as moving off the ball.

That's why D'antoni wanted him so bad.

He wasn't good when the Lakers had Shannon Brown to be the back-up SG. His first year, he didn't play much SG. I just don't see it. I don't see pick and roll greatly benefiting somebody who doesn't shoot or cut to the rim that well.

We'll see. D'Antoni is a miracle worker on offense, so he should at least improve some. My main point is that the Lakers need somebody very good as a back-up so that we don't need to play a 39 year old heavy minutes. They should have one of the best back-ups in the league.

Edited by Japago, December 27, 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Posted Image

#362 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,515 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thing is he was THE guy on the bench and was relegated to have to play two separate positions. He won't have as much responsibility as he had to have last year. Having Metta and Meeks on the bench right now makes his job a lot easier.

So his responsibility goes to what it always should have been.

Be a back up point guard. Facilitate among the wing, make good decisions on the drive and dish, use screens effectively and play PnR.

That's all stuff he's been asked to do his entire career and he plays it well as well as moving off the ball.

That's why D'antoni wanted him so bad.

why are you so high on blake? i doubt he will change from a couple years ago.

#363 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 768 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yup. He said it in his introductory press conference. He said he wanted ever since he was in Phoenix.

So he did. Surprising to me.

#364 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,589 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Blake anit doing nothing new. He will be a band aid at best on the back up pg spot. We need a better back up pg if we even wanna sniff the WCF
Posted Image

#365 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,391 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:37 PM

why are you so high on blake? i doubt he will change from a couple years ago.

I dont' expect him to change, he's a PnR point guard, it's what he does best, so I expect us to get the best out of him in a system he is made for and benefits his playstyle and skillset most and D'antoni's does. I expect him to change in terms of production because he is a PnR based point guard playing in a PnR based system and knows how to facilitate and score and pass off screens. Something Duhon and Morris seem unable to comprehend which is why Kobe has the ball in his hands 99% of the time when they are on the court. Blake won't need that as often because he CAN be the point guard in it. Small things like that really do matter. That plus Nash and him have been running drills with each other on things to do and Steve has been working with Blake on his game in this system PERSONALLY so Blake will be ready upon his return "system" wise and it will be his game shape that takes time to get around.

But Blake is a PnR point guard best used as a PnR point guard. The fact he would be the only other point guard on our team(besides Nash) that knows how to use screens effectively, SET screens effectively, and come off screens effectively for a pass or a shot is important. because neither Morris nor Duhon can do any of those things unfortunately and you can tell with how badly the offense falls apart when Nash has to sit down. Blake won't run it as well as Nash in a million years. But he'll run it to effectiveness to where it takes a load of Nash minutes wise and a load of Kobe ball handling wise. Those are two important factors and benefits that neither Morris nor Duhon give to Kobe or Nash.

Edited by Majesty, December 27, 2012 - 08:39 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#366 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 768 posts

Posted December 27, 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm not particularly high on Blake. In fact, I think he's pretty much the definition of mediocrity, but Majesty does have a point.

He will be better (so long as he's in shape) than Duhon or Morris in regards to running the PnR offense.

#367 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,109 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:38 AM

BLAKE IS TRASH

#368 bobekryant

bobekryant

Rookie

• 469 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:49 AM

I dont' expect him to change, he's a PnR point guard, it's what he does best, so I expect us to get the best out of him in a system he is made for and benefits his playstyle and skillset most and D'antoni's does. I expect him to change in terms of production because he is a PnR based point guard playing in a PnR based system and knows how to facilitate and score and pass off screens. Something Duhon and Morris seem unable to comprehend which is why Kobe has the ball in his hands 99% of the time when they are on the court. Blake won't need that as often because he CAN be the point guard in it. Small things like that really do matter. That plus Nash and him have been running drills with each other on things to do and Steve has been working with Blake on his game in this system PERSONALLY so Blake will be ready upon his return "system" wise and it will be his game shape that takes time to get around.

But Blake is a PnR point guard best used as a PnR point guard. The fact he would be the only other point guard on our team(besides Nash) that knows how to use screens effectively, SET screens effectively, and come off screens effectively for a pass or a shot is important. because neither Morris nor Duhon can do any of those things unfortunately and you can tell with how badly the offense falls apart when Nash has to sit down. Blake won't run it as well as Nash in a million years. But he'll run it to effectiveness to where it takes a load of Nash minutes wise and a load of Kobe ball handling wise. Those are two important factors and benefits that neither Morris nor Duhon give to Kobe or Nash.

So that we're clear, you're saying that Blake is a PnR point guard right? :dance:

#369 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 1,533 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted December 28, 2012 - 08:17 AM

blake is not a pick n rolll PG. hes a spot up undersized 2guard. obviously

"The West aint close, now that the LAL got Dwight, who gon stop him on OKC!????" - Chris Webber (nba tv -August)

Big 4s are OVERRATED. you think Nash/Kobe/Dwight cant carry the whole Offensive load!?
(Peace Pau we need pieces, not MettaWorldPieces!!!!!!!!)

• 38,748 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 11:10 AM

I actually think Stu or Bill said 2-3 weeks until he comes back.

You know in Lakerland 2 or 3 weeks really means either more than that or we're just not even sure. Don't know why they even bother throwing these timetables out in the first place when they're so consistently wrong and not just wrong, but not even close more times than not. Enough with the false hope, just be real.

yo.

#371 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,391 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 28, 2012 - 12:16 PM

So that we're clear, you're saying that Blake is a PnR point guard right? :dance:

Precisely =p

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#372 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 4,713 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted December 28, 2012 - 12:17 PM

Precisely =p

You're crazy

#373 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 4,713 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 12:18 PM

To be a pick and roll point guard you have to be able to get to the basket

#374 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,606 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted December 28, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Mike Bresnahan@Mike_Bresnahan

Steve Blake (abdominal surgery) is hoping to return by mid-January, maybe a bit later. #Lakers

Posted Image

#375 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,109 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:12 PM

good news to me the longer he is out the better

#376 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 4,713 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:20 PM

good news to me the longer he is out the better

You're a ****. You want to keep seeing duhon?

#377 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,223 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 28, 2012 - 07:25 PM

MrKNowItAll, easy on the personal insults and the profanity.

#378 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,109 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:42 PM

You're a ****. You want to keep seeing duhon?

LMAO why are you so emotional?

#379 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 15,001 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 29, 2012 - 07:49 PM

I still dont expect him until February at te earliest. When he will even get back into basketball shape and back to his mediocre form who knows.

#380 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 30, 2012 - 05:05 AM

Blake is a more traditional PG than Duhon. Duhon played (plays) PG because of his size. He's a smart guy and he'd probably have been much more successful if he was a better scorer but he just doesn't have the athleticism, handles or passing ability of a traditional floor general.

Blake's handles are much better. He's not much more athletic but he's bigger and taller. I'd give Blake an edge on defense also because he plays passing lanes better (not a great or terrible on-ball defender either).

Blake is a backup PG.

If you're crying about not having a real good option at back-up 1, you should have been screaming your head off to land Barbosa in the off-season. I'm still confused as to why they would even consider keeping DJO, cutting Goudelock and NOT signing Barbosa...that would have been the answer to our problems no matter which offense we ran.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users