Photo

Injury Updates: Blake out 6-8 weeks with surgery (pg. 19 hopes to return mid-January, via Mike Bresnahan)

Nash and Blake Update Blake: Out for two at least

• Please log in to reply
428 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,338 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:04 PM

Injury Update: The Steves

Published by Mike Trudell on November 26, 2012 1:59 pm in Injury News, Steve Blake and Steve Nash.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Lakers point guards Steve Blake (seven) and Steve Nash (12) have now missed a combined 19 games, a trend that will continue at least through Tuesday’s contest against Indiana.

The last official team update on Nash came on Nov. 16, stating that he’d be out one more week, to be re-evaluated by Dr. Steve Lombardo. The team had discussed sending Nash for an MRI on Monday, but ultimately decided against it. Alternatively, Nash will increase his activity level slightly to include agility drills and jogging – he’d previously been doing cardio on an elliptical machine.

Head athletic trainer Gary Vitti and his staff will monitor Nash’s work outs, and continue to evaluate him on a daily basis as they determine when he’s ready to return to practice, and eventually games.
Blake, meanwhile, has improved from the abdominal strain he aggravated against Sacramento on Nov. 11, but not to the point that he’s ready to resume practicing. He’s listed as day-to-day, and will be continually evaluated.

The Lakers have made it clear that they want both point guards for the long haul. Coach Mike D’Antoni suggested after Monday’s practice that he’d far prefer having both guys able to go through the rest of the games upon returning, as opposed to coming back too quickly and re-injuring themselves.

In the meantime, Darius Morris and Chris Duhon have both been effective: Morris utilizing his athleticism on defense and in transition; and Duhon knocking down 50 percent of his field goals, 46.7 percent of his threes and initiating the offense he learned under D’Antoni in New York.

Furthermore, Kobe Bryant has taken on additional ballhandling duties, particularly in screen/roll sets, which has been very effective for L.A.’s offense. He’s eager to get back to his role of primary scorer once Nash and Blake return, but said he’s quite comfortable filling in where needed in the meantime.

I do agree that they need to be brought along slowly but it's a very good sign that Nash is going to be going through different types of workouts and that Blake is close to returning as well, also the step up of Morris and Duhon are also positives to take away from it.

Seems our "overload at PG" wasn't such a bad idea after all was it?

I've always liked Steve Blake.

• 38,578 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

yo.

#3 haztronic

haztronic

From Laguna/Love the Lakers

• 336 posts
  • Name:Harry
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 26, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Man Blake has been out a long time for an abb strain..
DIE HARD LAKER FAN 4 LIFE!

#4 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,589 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 26, 2012 - 04:11 PM

Maybe blake will be traded soon and dont want him injuring himself again?

Edited by Hollywood, November 26, 2012 - 04:11 PM.

Posted Image

#5 lakerfandude

lakerfandude

Rookie

• 655 posts
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted November 26, 2012 - 04:34 PM

It's going to be very interesting to see how the team plays with Nash in. It's frustrating because we don't know what we really have until we see Nash, Howard, and Kobe together. Hopefully he will be back soon so we can get a good glimpse of who the Lakers truly are.

Edited by lakerfandude, November 26, 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#6 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 491 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted November 26, 2012 - 05:29 PM

It's going to be very interesting to see how the team plays with Nash in. It's frustrating because we don't know what we really have until we see Nash, Howard, and Kobe together. Hopefully he will be back soon so we can get a good glimpse of who the Lakers truly are.

And let's not forget when Nash was playing (although only few games), he was playing a foreign offence. When he's back, he'll be playing in his natural element! It's going to be very interesting to see what he can do!

#7 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 26, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Can't wait till Nash returns. This offense will be unstoppable when that happens.
htCCl0m.png

#8 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,514 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 26, 2012 - 08:12 PM

Can't wait till Nash returns. This offense will be unstoppable when that happens.

not unstoppable, but very dangerous

#9 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,416 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted November 26, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Blake usually starts to suck again after coming off from injuries.
Pretty sure it wouldn't be any different this time.

Shame... just as he started nailing those 3s, this happens.......again

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#10 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted November 27, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hope Nash don't rush his return until 100%...it just sound painful having a fracture bone...

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 27, 2012 - 11:11 AM

Our season won't really start until we get Nash back...I know that sounds dumb but until then, I consider the offense a bandaid, at best.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,900 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 11:47 AM

@LakersReporter

Mike D'Antoni said LAL are "getting more reassured that there's light at the end of the tunnel" for @SteveNash, but no target date.

#13 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 2,819 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted November 27, 2012 - 11:50 AM

I bet you Nash is back in 1,5 weeks.!

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,900 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 12:50 PM

The Lakers will be without point guards Steve Nash (fractured fibula) and Steve Blake (strained abdomen) on Tuesday, but D'Antoni did not rule out the possibility of either being available Friday when the Lakers host the Denver Nuggets.

"They're making progress but we're not there yet," D'Antoni said. "It's a few more days, but both of them are making progress. We're happy with both of them. I think they're getting a little more reassured that, hey, they can see the light at the end of the tunnel."

Blake did not participate in Tuesday's shootaround, while Nash used the time to go through on-court activities and drills with Lakers strength coach Tim DiFrancesco.

D'Antoni said the nerve discomfort Nash was experiencing in his left leg has started to improve.

"It's subsiding a little bit," said D'Antoni. "He can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Again, I don't know if that means three days, five days, 10 days, but he's more upbeat today than he was yesterday."

Nash has been out of the lineup since the Lakers' second game of the season when he collided with Damian Lillard of the Portland Trail Blazers and suffered his leg injury.

Blake has missed the Lakers' last seven games because of his abdomen strain.

"It's going to be a little while," D'Antoni said of Blake. "He said he felt better (Tuesday) but he still feels it a little bit and he can't feel that when he starts to practice. Then if he doesn't feel it in practice, then he'll play."

#15 nmacias

nmacias

Rookie

• 43 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 27, 2012 - 11:17 PM

Any word yet? We need him bad!

#16 ツ  

ツ  

Starter

• 5,514 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:21 PM

update

http://www.latimes.c...0,5095801.story

Lakers guard Steve Nash will be sidelined until at least next week, still unable to run without pain in his lower left leg, he said Tuesday.

Nash took part in some agility drills Monday and tried to do some jogging but couldn't complete it symptom-free. He will probably undergo an MRI exam to get a fresh update on the small fracture in his lower left leg.

Nash said he would not play Friday or Sunday, adding he'd be out "about another week" in a brief interview.

The Lakers continue to wait, eager to see what their offense looks like under his guidance. He has missed 13 consecutive games, his longest stretch since 1999.

His return, whenever it happens, would boost one fairly important player, TNT analyst Kenny Smith said.

"The head of that system is pretty important. I think that would benefit Pau [Gasol] for sure," he said.

Gasol also welcomed Nash's eventual return. How could he not, given his on-court struggles?

"He's a great point guard and he's familiar with the system and the coach, so he will definitely help," Gasol said. "He won't solve everything but he will have a positive impact for sure."

The consensus around the league: Wait on judging the Lakers until Nash returns.

"The team hasn't been altogether yet, obviously with Nash being out. Still a work in progress,"Indiana Pacers associate head coach Brian Shaw said. "They'll get it right. They have too much talent to not do well."

Gasol, by the way, shouldn't struggle this much in Coach Mike D'Antoni's offense, Smith said.

"Pitch it ahead and run the lanes," Smith said. "It makes it surprising to me that he feels uncomfortable in it. With four [All-Star] guys, there's only one basketball. But the one thing that offense offers is you don't have to have a lot of minutes to play well because there's so many more possessions.

"If he played 15 minutes, he could probably get eight to 10 shots. If he played 15 minutes in the triangle, he might only get three."

Shaw returns

Shaw, one of three finalists to take Phil Jackson's place as the Lakers' coach last year, looked more fit and trim than his playing days. Almost. Maybe.

"I've got about five minutes in me," he said. "A good five minutes."

Life's been good to Shaw since he joined the Pacers' staff after he and Rick Adelman finished behindMike Brown in the Lakers' coaching search after the 2010-11 season.

"It's good for me to be coaching under a different system," he said. "When I've interviewed since I left the Lakers I still get labeled as a triangle guy. I'll always be proud of the fact that I played for and coached under Phil Jackson.

"I think the triangle system is great but it seems like the sentiment around the league is that it only works for Phil and only if you have certain kinds of players, although every team runs actions that we run in the triangle. For whatever reason, there's kind of a negative label attached to it."

Shaw lives on a lake near Indianapolis and gets to fish often, one of his life-long hobbies. He also lost 14 pounds during the off-season.

"My wife, she's all into the healthy cooking. The secret is she doesn't buy potato chips and cookies and all that. No snacks in the house," he said.

Edited by ツ  , November 28, 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#17 kray28

kray28

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted November 28, 2012 - 02:41 PM

Nash is out for at least two more weeks. Adjust your expectations to a mid Dec to Christmas return.
Posted Image

#18 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,338 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:24 PM

Nash is out for at least two more weeks. Adjust your expectations to a mid Dec to Christmas return.

So is Blake

@LakersReporter
Steve Blake will be out at least two more weeks with his abdominal strain, as revealed by an MRI exam taken today.

We can't wait for the Steve's to return to see what they do with Gasol. We can't go into Christmas with a 500 record or a sub 500 record or just a little above.

We need to make a few moves now that benefit us UNTIL the Steve's return. Just waiting on them to return defeats the "win now" message they set by firing the coach so quickly when 1-4. So now when some players aren't stepping up if you play the "lets wait for Nash and Blake" to return game.. what message does that send?

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#19 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 22,587 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:28 PM

I just want Nash back, Since Darius is playing decently well, Blake can Wait
Posted Image

#20 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 3,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted November 28, 2012 - 03:29 PM

I just want Nash back, Since Darius is playing decently well, Blake can Wait

Yeah but Morris still over dribbles and plays out of control. Having Blake back I think would be a plus at this point, but I'm not as confident in saying that as I would have at the start of the season.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users