Photo

Carmelo Anthony's improved defense makes him legit MVP candidate article (stats say otherwise)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,471 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 23, 2012 - 03:34 AM

NEW ORLEANS – Even on the road, Spike Lee had a good to seat to watch his New York Knicks take on the New Orleans Hornets on Tuesday. And it hasn't been hard for Lee to notice something different about Carmelo Anthony this season.
"Carmelo is just playing a complete game," Lee said. "Now for whatever reason that is, I don't want to get into it. I don't know. But there is a distinct difference in what he is doing now and when he first put on a Knick uniform."
Posted ImageCarmelo Anthony thinks this season could be his best chance to win a championship. (Getty Images)The difference: For a change, Anthony is playing defense. The Knicks are better for it, having won eight of their first nine games for the NBA's best record.
While no one has ever questioned Anthony's ability to score, his former coaches with the Denver Nuggets often wondered why he never showed the same willingness to defend as he did while playing for Team USA. This season, however, Anthony committed himself to becoming a better defender.
Lee thinks Anthony's improved defense is because of the time Anthony spent playing with Kobe Bryant and LeBron James at the London Olympics this past summer. Knicks guard J.R. Smith, who also played with Anthony in Denver, believes it's because Anthony is just tired of losing in the playoffs. Anthony credits Knicks coach Mike Woodson for bringing a more disciplined mindset to the team since he replaced Mike D'Antoni in March.
"I know I can do [play defense]," Anthony said. "It's not a matter of me not being able to do it. It was me just saying, 'OK, I'm going to do it now.' We have a coach that stays on me about it. There wasn't a defensive system since I came to New York, but with Coach Woodson it was just a matter of putting our system in, having a full training camp."
[NBA Power Rankings: Knicks keep top spot]
Knicks center Tyson Chandler is impressed enough with Anthony's overall play this season that he considers him the league's leading MVP candidate.
"He should be at the top of the race right now," Chandler said. "We're playing the best basketball, and he's playing all over the floor on both ends."
Posted ImageAnthony has started at power forward this season while Amar'e Stoudemire is out. (AP)The one question hanging over Anthony and the Knicks: Will they continue to play just as well when Amar'e Stoudemire returns from knee surgery?
Center Marcus Camby, who also played with Anthony in Denver, thinks 'Melo's defensive work has been contagious.
"When you see a guy like 'Melo going out there playing defense there is no excuse for everyone else to not follow suit," Camby said.
Since Anthony joined the Knicks, he and Stoudemire haven't had a lot of success playing together. Stoudemire is expected to be out until at least the middle of December. Anthony has moved to power forward in Stoudemire's absence.
Woodson hasn't guaranteed that Stoudemire will immediately move back to his old starting position when he returns. But Woodson does think Stoudemire and Anthony can co-exist. As for Anthony, he's not sure what to expect.
For all his scoring ability, Anthony has experienced little success in the playoffs. That's why he sees this season as his best chance yet to win a championship.
"Once we do that I will have proven everything," he said.
Lee hasn't seen the Knicks win a title since he was a young teenager, but he's beginning to think more and more that Anthony is the right person to end that drought.
"He is the franchise player," Lee said. "He is the one that was born in Red Hook, Brooklyn, New York. He is the one that says, 'This is my team.'

http://sports.yahoo....-200105942.html

Kobes
Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG

36:42 9.4 17.8 53.1 1.9 4.6 41.8 6.5 7.4 87.6 0.8 4.6 5.3 5.2 3.7 1.5 0.0 2.8 27.3

mello's
Min M A Pct M A Pct M A Pct Off Def Tot Ast TO Stl Blk PF PPG

35:36 8.6 19.2 44.8 1.5 4.5 33.3 5.4 6.7 80.6 2.0 5.3 7.3 2.0 2.6 0.8 0.5 3.3 24.1

Kobes stats beat carmelo's in almost ever category. In the most important like FG% kobe is shooting 9% higher than him.

You would think with melo's low percentage he would be the leading scorer in the nba yet he isnt even close.

Why he is even mention when guys like kobe, lebron, and durant are so far ahead of him so far this year is beyond me. If thats what it takes to be MVP then kobe should have at least have 6 by now.

Edited by bigfetz, November 23, 2012 - 03:36 AM.

#2 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,554 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 23, 2012 - 07:23 AM

He's mentioned because he's the best player on the team tied for the best record. It would be stupid not to mention him while they're winning.

#3 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,135 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 23, 2012 - 11:05 AM

I hope Melo continues having a great season, been a fan of him since he came into the league but ever since he got traded he hasn't been the great player he can be in NY.

Posted Image

#4 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,763 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted November 23, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, ever since Melo and Bron came into the league, I've been following Melo's game. He's one of my top 5 favorite players, I absolutely love his game and attitude. I wouldn't mind at all if he continued to play great and got an MVP. However.... I want Kobe to go for it first. ;)

Edited by -Wade-, November 23, 2012 - 11:26 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#5 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,038 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 23, 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, I think he's a little bit overrated this season. Many players have had a better start to the season than him. His defense has greatly improved, but I think the Knicks are winning because Raymond Felton and JR Smith have taken huge steps forward this season. His numbers are good enough though he'll be in the conversation even if he just remains the same because I don't expect most people to keep up the hot starts, except maybe for Lebron. Lebron did keep it up all of last season, but I think he might get worn out at this pace even if he is in his prime.

The easy answer as to why he's mentioned as MVP and Kobe isn't is simple: Melo is on a good team, Kobe is on a bad one that people think are underachieving.

Edited by Japago, November 23, 2012 - 12:58 PM.

Posted Image

#6 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I honestly think there's no way he keeps up this kind of efficiency the entire year. If he does, and we start winning games, I think he definitely has a great shot at that MVP.

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,471 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 23, 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I honestly think there's no way he keeps up this kind of efficiency the entire year. If he does, and we start winning games, I think he definitely has a great shot at that MVP.

What efficiency though. Theres nothing special but maybe some better defense. Its just getting highlighted cuz the rest of his team is playing better and thus winning.

#8 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,534 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted November 26, 2012 - 01:27 PM

I love Melos offensive arsenal, but I can't forget the time he punched that Collins dude and then ran like a little [expletive]. Smh, fake thug.

#9 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 26, 2012 - 05:06 PM

What efficiency though. Theres nothing special but maybe some better defense. Its just getting highlighted cuz the rest of his team is playing better and thus winning.

I think he's talking about Kobe hence the "we".

But as far as Melo he's playing well better defense, more hustle, and team play he's def an MVP candidate especially with the Knicks playing a lot better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users