Photo

Why do I feel that Kobe Bryant is so underrated?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:21 PM

This might sound weird to most of you guys but I for some reason feels that Kobe is very under rated currently in the NBA and quite frankly, everwhere including this forum. This thread will sound like I am ball washing kobe like a mo fo but I just want you guys to think about this during the NBA season.

We all know that when somebody said who is the best player in the NBA right now the answer would be Lebron James. no hesitation right? There's been comparison with Kobe and lebron for many years now and there's been arguements back and forth. I am sure most of you guys still believe that Lebron is way better than Kobe and Lebron is the king of the world since he finally got his ring. But I for one never really think that. Not because I hate lebron but because I am not hypnotized by the flashy dunks and powerful moves that Lebron James usually do. I for one actually watch both of them closely and I still believe until Kobe Bryant retires, Lebron will always be second.

Here is the only reason that will back up my believes. Lebron James can never ever ever ever play hurt. Kobe is the king of playing hurt. The way Lebron James will not allow him to play hurt, Youu will see him miss games or wont be playing top level. Imagine playing and leading a team to victory with broken fingers. leading the team to a championship with bad back. Now with a mestup foot, he is playing out of his mind Mr number 24, He is 34 years old going on 40 for crying out loud!. How the hell can he do that? Playing injured like that? I gaurenteed you and I am willing to put money on it that Lebron james can never do that. The way James play he uses a lot of forced and strengh. He never use technique and finese and a skill set that only a player who have a work ethic like Kobe can do. Lebron uses his god giving talent like his size and strengh while Kobe uses his brain and technique with his god givin talent.

But you know what? Nobody thinks that now. All they think about is kobe getting too old and it is pass his time. Everybody praised King james as the man. Kobe is yesterday's news paper. Even on here with Laker fans praising lebron and bashing kobe. that is why I feel Kobe is so under rated as a player right now in 2012. He is by far the top 3 players in the NBA and the only player who plays with an injury that most people will just sit out for a game or two. Kobe Bryant is underated.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,769 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Inb4 kobe vs jordan or kobe vs lebron argument

#3 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,243 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:28 PM

Nobody is saying LeBron is more skilled than Kobe. Kobe is probably the most skilled player in the league. But in terms of straight up who is better right now, it's LeBron. He won the championship in 2012, he carried Team USA in the Olympics, not Kobe.

Sure, LeBron can't do some things that Kobe can do. But Kobe can't do many things that LeBron can do. Overall, LeBron is better right now. If Kobe were 28 right now, I'd go with him though.
Posted Image

#4 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,526 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Kobe is underrated.
I think it all started ever since Lebron left to Miami, or even before that when the Lakers acquired Gasol.
He was viewed as the best during his hot streak when we had players like Mihm and Parker but has honestly been underrated ever since.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#5 AR12

AR12

Rookie

• 572 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:31 PM

Completely agree with you except I do believe Lebron has passed Kobe as the best player in the league for the last 2 years. Mainly because he has a decent post game now and chooses his shots wisely. And I'm a Kobe lover/Lebron hater. But yes, the things he does is unreal let alone for a 34 yr old who has been in more games than Joey Crawford.lol

The way Kobe has evolved is simply amazing. Only Jordan was able to evolve his game like this. No one else. He's lost his hops, lock down defense, and some ballhandling skills, but he's improved in the post, passing, 3 pointers, and overall understanding of the game.

I HATE how every analyst, reporter, and announcer wants to always talk about his age. Just give the man credit!
ONLY GREATNESS EQUALS GREATNESS

#6 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:36 PM

One of the reasons I think people underrate him is because of the Colorado incident.

#7 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,869 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:20 PM

LeBron will never be as polished as Kobe, and quite frankly, the only player in NBA history that is right there is Jordan. As far as complete games go, nobody matches Michael and Kobe.

But right now, LeBron is the best player in the NBA...not necessarily the most skilled, but he does most things at a higher magnitude now. He rebounds better, passes better, plays better defense, finishes at the rim, has always scored more efficiently...and that's just how it is.

Kobe is and will always be the better overall player in his prime, don't think LeBron will ever get to that point...and also, the greatest aside from MJ (in my opinion), but he's not in his ultimate prime anymore, and it happens to all of the greats.

#8 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,662 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 21, 2012 - 08:33 PM

at this point in the season, not even hollinger can argue kobe's killin it...the only people w/ higher PER than kobe currently are

bron bron
kyle lowry (5 games)
greg smith (6 games)
tim duncan

and he's got the highest true shooting %age of the first 14 players

he's got the highest usage in the top 15

next closest shooting guard in PER is just under 5 points behind...top 10 overall isn't even separated by 5 points...

point being kobe is BALLIN' this year...so far so far anyway..11 games isn't a great sample, but enough to say someone is playing well...but i never get too excited because i always think back to the year when luke walton was leading the league in 3 point shooting for like 15 games or something. i realize its almost...well, not almost, but blasphemous to mention kobe and luke walto in a comparison, but the point was more about not getting too excited...

aside from his health, overall he just looks great out there in general...he's seeing less doubles, probably a result of faster offense, and his starting 5, and he's going inside a lot more...i know he said he hasn't felt this good since '06, and it shows...can't wait to see how it goes for the rest of the season, i think most people expect him to drop off to below 45%/35% but if he's really that much healthier than in the last few years, and stays that way, i think he'll stay above those numbers, maybe at the 35...i'd love to see him finish with like 48/36, but we'll see...he should see a few less double teams this year with a faster offense, and that starting 5

Posted Image

#9 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,714 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted November 21, 2012 - 09:33 PM

11-20 shooting. 5-9 3 point fg. 38 points

I feel likes hes better than lebron right now. period

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#10 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen

Posted November 21, 2012 - 09:36 PM

Your right. He is. I don't know about him being better than LeBron right now, but he is without a doubt the most underrated and underappreciated player this game has ever seen.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#11 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 21, 2012 - 10:48 PM

I always thought Kobe was underrated to me he's the 2nd best player ever after Jordan. His skill level is so high, he has no holes in his game, great mentally, and was a great athlete early in his career.

A lot of of ppl want to overrate Lebron and put him ahead of Kobe in all time rankings by saying Lebron may even be better than Jordan.

#12 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 21, 2012 - 10:54 PM

Because he is. Kobe is incredibly underrated. People take advantage and don't realize just how great he is every single night. From a skill perspective he's the greatest of all time. There's nothing he can't do offensively and defensively when he tried he's as good as it gets on that side of the court. He's incredibly clutch. There's no player I'd rather have with the game on the line. As far as resume he's right up there. 5 championships, 2 Finals MVP's a plethora of All NBA selections and All Star appearances. He's as good of a player as there has ever been

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, November 21, 2012 - 10:55 PM.

htCCl0m.png

#13 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,757 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:10 PM

34 years old and still clowning on these young bucks

we'll see how much people will be talking come May

2div

#14 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,645 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 22, 2012 - 04:13 AM

It seems like a decade ago when we were starting the Jordan vs Kobe comparisons...

He keeps chugging along, putting up crazy good games...

AND, this might be his best season in his NBA career!
His shooting percentages are WAY UP!

And, i cannot imagine them getting WORSE with nash out there...

I would like to see a study, on WHY kobe is shooting a better percentage this year

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,377 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 22, 2012 - 04:31 AM

It seems like a decade ago when we were starting the Jordan vs Kobe comparisons...

He keeps chugging along, putting up crazy good games...

AND, this might be his best season in his NBA career!
His shooting percentages are WAY UP!

And, i cannot imagine them getting WORSE with nash out there...

I would like to see a study, on WHY kobe is shooting a better percentage this year

Both offenses benefit him greatly

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#16 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted November 22, 2012 - 08:25 AM

I always take it differently.

Kobe has been the best player in NBA for quite some time (like 00/01 onwards), even now.

Lebron is the most dominant player for 2-3 years.

#17 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 22, 2012 - 01:33 PM

Kobe is better than Lebron
Jordan is better than Kobe
kobe is underrated
Lebron is overrated

#18 AR12

AR12

Rookie

• 572 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe

Posted November 23, 2012 - 07:20 AM

You know what makes Kobe even better!? Look at the other stars that were around in Kobe's young/prime years. Other than a couple, most of them aren't even in the league or they aren't even half the player they used to be.

Vince Carter
Tracy McGrady
Allen Iverson
Gilbert Arenas
Baron Davis
etc.

And the ones that are still doing good (Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, etc.) are role players, not "stars" anymore. Not knocking them (especially Iverson), but most these dudes aren't the same because of injuries, age, or failure to adapt. All of which Kobe has dealt with in a great way. All while playing way more minutes than them too. (Playoffs, Olympics) Wow.
ONLY GREATNESS EQUALS GREATNESS

#19 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,393 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:21 AM

I don't know if Kobe is underrated but I damn sure know he has been under appreciated for years!!! He came in on the tail end of Jordan and was there for the beginning of LeBron. Thank God Kobe plays in LA. The worse thing for him was that he was actually able to challenge Jordans legacy so soon in his career. Most brainwashed people hated that. Did Jordan score 81? How many times did they GO to the finals? I'm not starting the Jordan / Kobe war but don't thnk for one second that the gap is that wide. If anyone thinks Kobe is Overrated; they need to look at video of #8

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,377 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 27, 2012 - 05:42 AM

You know what makes Kobe even better!? Look at the other stars that were around in Kobe's young/prime years. Other than a couple, most of them aren't even in the league or they aren't even half the player they used to be.

Vince Carter
Tracy McGrady
Allen Iverson
Gilbert Arenas
Baron Davis
etc.

And the ones that are still doing good (Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, etc.) are role players, not "stars" anymore. Not knocking them (especially Iverson), but most these dudes aren't the same because of injuries, age, or failure to adapt. All of which Kobe has dealt with in a great way. All while playing way more minutes than them too. (Playoffs, Olympics) Wow.

Well Artest is still around, and playing the best basketball on the Lakers aside from Kobe thus far.

I'm glad they never got to be "rivals" I love them more as teammates. But that 7 game Rockets series was AWESOME watching those two.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users