12 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

Off The Bench

• 2,648 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:37 AM

Am I the only person who wondered why the coaching staff for D'Antoni is pretty much the same as the coaching staff for Mike Brown? Sure Eddie Jordan lost his seats in the front and now sitting in the back with Bernie but whats the deal? I'm glad they kept Bernie since he did a great job so far but why is Eddie Jordan still have a job? Ham and Person was not a surprised for me. Is this a temporary thing so D'Antoni can find his own team or is this a one year deal and next year DAnotoni will start bringing in his own staff?

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Ugh.

• 7,918 posts
  • Name:Hello, My Baby!
  • Fan Since:Hello, My Darlin'!
  • Fav. Laker:Hello, My Ragtime Gal!

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:43 AM

Probably because they would still have to pay them, and if D'Antoni brought in a new staff, they would pay them as well.

I would like to see Eddie Jordan go, lol. He's not needed here.

Trade for Austin Rivers, say, Hill & Johnson. 

#3 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 21, 2012 - 06:51 AM

EJ is under contract so they might as well keep him.
He can still help with player development while learning how to help run the offense.

I think it's a classy move by the Lakers and D'Antoni. I don't think it's permanent...he'll be gone as soon as he can find something better or redeem himself.

Remember, Jordan's Princeton offense FAILED miserably. If they let him go now, he won't have much luck finding work in the NBA for a very long time...he'll have to hope someone brings him in as an assistant so he can work his way back up to the top. Most assistants become head coaches by pampering young superstars (as assistants) and then get tapped by the team the Superstar goes to next as the head coach. That's a long process and it takes time to build that once you find a team / head coach willing to bring you in as an assistant.

That's the only path Jordan has back to the big seat.

If the Lakers can keep him for a while, he can add D'Antoni's offense to his resume which should help him move on more quickly...

Or he could just be waiting til someone offers him anything...

The Lakers and D'Antoni didn't have to keep him. Glad they did, for now. He can't do any harm.

I'm more concerned with the lack of defensive coordinator.

Edited by GCMD, November 21, 2012 - 06:52 AM.

7511301026_4a46afba50.jpg

Calling it right now:

Andrew Wiggins will be better than LeBron James.

#4 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,213 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 21, 2012 - 07:37 AM

What happened to Nate McMillan ? I thought he'll be our defensive co-ordinator ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Cavy Music

#5 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 21, 2012 - 09:14 AM

What happened to Nate McMillan ? I thought he'll be our defensive co-ordinator ..

I think it came down to the money being paid to the current staff. If things are working well, why change it. I can see coaching staff changes after the season.

#6 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 21, 2012 - 10:36 AM

MDT said that he would keep the coaching staff....he would just add his brother.....Maybe it was his idea or maybe Mitch and Jimmy wanted to keep the staff in place because of $$$$.....

I got the feeling that PJ was not hired because A) Jim Buss hates PJ and B) $$$$$ PJ would have cost the Lakers at least double of what MDT is geting paid, that is a huge sum of money 12 to 16 million over 3 to 4 years. The Lakers are already paying huge lux tax so that 16 million is a lot of fun money for Dr. Buss.
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 11,981 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted November 21, 2012 - 02:51 PM

It seems almost everything the lakers do now, is related to $$$

We are no longer a team that says,

"we will win at all costs"

We are now a team that says

"we will win at a $ amount that is reasonable"

We have been cutting costs for several years

Edited by TKainZero, November 21, 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#8 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,798 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 21, 2012 - 03:03 PM

Wtf are you talking about?

Lakers are paying 100mil + for their roster and are paying the most out of any franchise

The [expletive] some Laker fans say..... :wall:

#9 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted November 21, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Kobe, Pau, Dwight, Nash, and all of their high dollar contracts say hello.

#10 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Ugh.

• 7,918 posts
  • Name:Hello, My Baby!
  • Fan Since:Hello, My Darlin'!
  • Fav. Laker:Hello, My Ragtime Gal!

Posted November 21, 2012 - 04:26 PM

Yes because paying 100 million for our roster is too cheap.

Trade for Austin Rivers, say, Hill & Johnson. 

#11 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 20,904 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 21, 2012 - 04:44 PM

Oh okay.

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 14,999 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 21, 2012 - 04:51 PM

100+ mill and still fans dont think thats enough.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,363 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 21, 2012 - 05:14 PM

EJ is under contract so they might as well keep him.
He can still help with player development while learning how to help run the offense.

I think it's a classy move by the Lakers and D'Antoni. I don't think it's permanent...he'll be gone as soon as he can find something better or redeem himself.

Remember, Jordan's Princeton offense FAILED miserably. If they let him go now, he won't have much luck finding work in the NBA for a very long time...he'll have to hope someone brings him in as an assistant so he can work his way back up to the top. Most assistants become head coaches by pampering young superstars (as assistants) and then get tapped by the team the Superstar goes to next as the head coach. That's a long process and it takes time to build that once you find a team / head coach willing to bring you in as an assistant.

That's the only path Jordan has back to the big seat.

If the Lakers can keep him for a while, he can add D'Antoni's offense to his resume which should help him move on more quickly...

Or he could just be waiting til someone offers him anything...

The Lakers and D'Antoni didn't have to keep him. Glad they did, for now. He can't do any harm.

I'm more concerned with the lack of defensive coordinator.

Benefit of having Eddie Jordan is that contrary to popular belief, Mike D'antoni DOES run Princeton sets as part of his offense from time to time in the halfcourt set, so having Eddie Jordan is not a bad thing if he wanted to add more sets to implement into the way the offense already flows and could be something valuable in the playoffs when the game slows down. So if he wanted advice on what sets to implement into the already successful halfcourt set then he has the guy there to do it. So he's not as useless as everyone is going to assume. But it won't be noticed since no one is looking for any elements of that offense now that people have stopped talking about it.

Kobe has already stated that they are in fact running some princeton in the offense but said that it was 'simple' sets that everyone gets. And I don't expect to see them too often. But of the few I saw one lead to MWP nailing a 3 so I am not gonna complain there.

Steve Clifford is a good defensive coach and knows how to work with and use Dwight defensively so he's a valued member here and our defense in our last 6 or 7 games in the 2nd half has been suffocating.

Bernie is well respected and his mentality and know how on dealing with players and working with the young talent(like Morris) is valued and he is that 'voice' in the locker room every team needs especially with his old school mentality. It's after him and Nash worked with Morris that his game FINALLY started to slow down and we benefited.

Mike Brown's staff wasn't bad at all, his coaching style didn't fit the team of vets, Bernie's did and D'antoni's does. So there's no real need to replace the staff and D'antoni seems more intent on adding pieces where they need it to be an addition to the staff over replacing them completely. It's actually very smart, especially being that the staff already has chemistry with our players and understands their tendencies and can relay such things to Mike which makes his job coaching them much easier.

Edited by Majesty, November 21, 2012 - 05:18 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users