• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#61 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:02 PM

Yea maybe went a little too far. Gasol > Bosh. But bosh would spread the floor better for us.

No problem...love the fan enthusiasm...

Bosh wouldn't spread the floor any better than Pau. In Fact, as it stands Pau is this stretch 4 that everyone keeps griping about. Funny how its only the fans that complain, but the coaching staff, management and his fellow players are perfectly fine being "stuck" with a hall of fame level PF that is still amongst the best in the league.

And to think, some wonder why so many people dislike Laker fans.

:smh:

I have no problem with Pau offensively. He's doing fine and I don't think his offensive production will decline once Nash comes in.

We are banking on Howard covering Nash's bad defense if we want to get past OKC, SAS or LAC. Those teams will straight kill us in P&R or just simple penetration off the bounce if not for Dwight. The problem with that is if Dwight does what he does and Pau doesn't help him, it's just as bad as Dwight not doing anything at all. That's what I'm watching...the defensive end. I'm fine with Kobe getting burned every now and again for a long J...with in reason, of course...layups and dunks ? No...we can't give those up.

Shore that up and I have no problem with Pau.

Don't fix that and we have NO CHANCE at getting stops when we need to.

Offense changes based on system and coaches.
Defense will be almost the same from high school to the NBA. Especially the basic help and recover principles...Pau knows better...if he can't or won't fix this, move him for someone who WANTS to do that.

#62 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:20 PM

His role was also totally different than in 09 and 10.

Pau stepped aside to allow Bynum some room to flourish. Something no starting PF of his level in the league would even think of doing.

Again most of you guys won't ever know what you got till its gone.

#63 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,996 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:27 PM

What does Bynum's role have to do with Pau being defensively inept?

It's always someone else's fault when it comes to this guy ugh

Edited by Windu, November 20, 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#64 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,701 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Its mike Browns fault he messed up pau :okay:
Posted Image

#65 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,996 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:32 PM

Pau was messed up before Mike Brown got here

Pau Gasol is GONE

#66 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 20, 2012 - 07:34 PM

If we aren't in the Princeton or the triangle, we don't need a stretch four. It would be better to have a P&R PF in this case, and Gasol is still decent, but he's going to have to knock down shots.

#67 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,662 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 20, 2012 - 09:22 PM

Wait a second, Kobe kinda gave Pau the death stare today, like he did to Brown, talked good about Pau, which he did to Brown. Yes I think Pau's getting traded.

#68 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,431 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:23 PM

I think Pau had a near perfect game for what we need. 17 points, 11 boards, 7 assists and a block. He put up 15 shots which shows he was aggressive. He had some pretty passes to Dwight tonight but he also had some lobs that were off the mark for Dwight. Those passes will only get better once their chemistry continues to build. But most importantly, Pau had some great defensive stops at the end of the game (with the exception of Lopez dribbling right by him for the and one).

#69 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 10:58 PM

He did play good back on offense, and has for a couple of games now. He has to make up for the horrible time he had starting the season. You can't shoot 43% as a big man.

Defensively, it's not worth discussing, because Gasol has never been a good defensive player. We know this, even back in his Memphis days. Every year, he's getting slower, having trouble rotating over, getting burned by Lopez isn't a surprise...so honestly, all of that should be a given.

#70 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted November 20, 2012 - 11:01 PM

Windu please.

And it's always Pau's fault when something goes wrong. You have a problem with Pau and no matter what he brings to the team your mind is made up.

#71 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 11:22 PM

He did play good back on offense, and has for a couple of games now. He has to make up for the horrible time he had starting the season. You can't shoot 43% as a big man.

Defensively, it's not worth discussing, because Gasol has never been a good defensive player. We know this, even back in his Memphis days. Every year, he's getting slower, having trouble rotating over, getting burned by Lopez isn't a surprise...so honestly, all of that should be a given.

Bynum covered some of those issues by not being aggressive as an anchor. Dwight does the opposite. With that change in the middle, we are placed into a situation where we have to choose which is best for the team...do we have Dwight adjust? Or Pau...?

No-Brainer in my mind.

Have to move forward. Can't do the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

As a coach, you don't try to tweak everything at once. You identify what's most important and tweak that. THen, you can adjust things around that and make a decision later if something else needs to be drastically changed. We have reached the point where defensively, we can't continue to have Pau miss crucial rotations. It undoes everything we gain with Dwight.

People complaining about Pau's offense are wasting their time. It's not the problem and it shouldn't be an issue without Nash at the helm.

#72 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 11:49 PM

Bynum covered some of those issues by not being aggressive as an anchor. Dwight does the opposite.

It should be the other way around. Bynum uncovered those issues by not being an aggressive defensive anchor. With Drew, we saw how bad Gasol is back on the defensive end, because Bynum never did help as much as he should have.

A fully-healthy Howard (and he's getting there) makes Gasol's lack of defense less relevant, just like he did with Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, Ryan Anderson, and almost every other player he has ever played with.

But, right now...we are still seeing it from Gasol because Howard doesn't have it all back yet...but notice that Dwight is contesting more shots, changing many more, than he did at the beginning of the month.

I'm not supporting Gasol at all. If we had Josh Smith on the table, I'd take it...but the money is an issue (contract length).

However, we can win it all with Gasol, because Dwight, Kobe and Ron make up for his lackluster defense. It's the same with Nash, who is the worst defensive player on our team...yet, the best shooter and passer.

If Gasol can shoot 50% or better, grab 10+ boards, and throw a few assists...he's here to stay. Dwight is the best defensive player we've seen since Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman, and the key to being a defensive anchor is to lessen the blow suffered by bad defense played by teammates. In Orlando, Howard had a team ranked 29th in defense without him on the floor...and 3rd with him out there. That jump is amazing...never seen that before.

We can cross our fingers for Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Paul Millsap, all of these unrealistic options...but none of those guys play defense, either. Love and Griffin are as bad as Gasol on the defensive end.

If we replace Pau, we need a defender. We need Smith, or someone like Derrick Favors...but as we load up on the defensive end, we also need to make sure we're not going to require 60 PPG from Kobe and Dwight.

We have until February to replace Gasol. In our offense, replacing him won't be that big of a deal, because Pau isn't going to necessarily fit perfectly in the first place...and this replacement will be brought in only if he can run the floor better than Pau, and defend better...and that means he won't have to do much adjusting (because our superstars aren't going to adjust to anyone).

I'm not worried about it.

#73 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted November 20, 2012 - 11:51 PM

By the way, that's not me saying I wouldn't trade Gasol for Griffin or Love, either...because I would. Those teams aren't going to make that trade to us, though. Griffin would be sickening with Steve Nash. I'd fear for everyone in the NBA if we had Dwight and Griffin running the floor with old Steven, and Kobe laughing at the other end of the court.

#74 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 21, 2012 - 12:03 AM

It should be the other way around. Bynum uncovered those issues by not being an aggressive defensive anchor. With Drew, we saw how bad Gasol is back on the defensive end, because Bynum never did help as much as he should have.

A fully-healthy Howard (and he's getting there) makes Gasol's lack of defense less relevant, just like he did with Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, Ryan Anderson, and almost every other player he has ever played with.

But, right now...we are still seeing it from Gasol because Howard doesn't have it all back yet...but notice that Dwight is contesting more shots, changing many more, than he did at the beginning of the month.

I'm not supporting Gasol at all. If we had Josh Smith on the table, I'd take it...but the money is an issue (contract length).

However, we can win it all with Gasol, because Dwight, Kobe and Ron make up for his lackluster defense. It's the same with Nash, who is the worst defensive player on our team...yet, the best shooter and passer.

If Gasol can shoot 50% or better, grab 10+ boards, and throw a few assists...he's here to stay. Dwight is the best defensive player we've seen since Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman, and the key to being a defensive anchor is to lessen the blow suffered by bad defense played by teammates. In Orlando, Howard had a team ranked 29th in defense without him on the floor...and 3rd with him out there. That jump is amazing...never seen that before.

We can cross our fingers for Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Paul Millsap, all of these unrealistic options...but none of those guys play defense, either. Love and Griffin are as bad as Gasol on the defensive end.

If we replace Pau, we need a defender. We need Smith, or someone like Derrick Favors...but as we load up on the defensive end, we also need to make sure we're not going to require 60 PPG from Kobe and Dwight.

We have until February to replace Gasol. In our offense, replacing him won't be that big of a deal, because Pau isn't going to necessarily fit perfectly in the first place...and this replacement will be brought in only if he can run the floor better than Pau, and defend better...and that means he won't have to do much adjusting (because our superstars aren't going to adjust to anyone).

Derrick Favors is a realistic trade that could happen since Utah is shopping around their big men right now but I doubt they would give up a young PF for a old PF with a terrible contract unless it was a 3 team trade and they were receiving some wing players

#75 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 21, 2012 - 12:12 AM

Pau played very well today. If he can continue that he'll remain a Laker.
htCCl0m.png

#76 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 12:43 AM

Eh, favors is younger and better defensively but I'm not sure he does anything offensively for us and only worsens spacing.

I like paus iq and offensive skill. His length is also a plus. But Mitch is money so I'll trust him
Posted Image

#77 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted November 21, 2012 - 12:53 AM

I really like Pau's passing, getting us some easy buckets.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#78 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 21, 2012 - 01:11 AM

By the way, that's not me saying I wouldn't trade Gasol for Griffin or Love, either...because I would. Those teams aren't going to make that trade to us, though. Griffin would be sickening with Steve Nash. I'd fear for everyone in the NBA if we had Dwight and Griffin running the floor with old Steven, and Kobe laughing at the other end of the court.

By that ,do U mean Griffin´s ability to catch lobs ? I´d rather have Smith then, cause he can get up there too, and then on the other end of the court he would be alot better than griffin.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wHzGTlUk71Y
Posted Image

#79 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,746 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 11:14 AM

I think you misunderstood my meaning...I meant that because Bynum sat back in the paint, he didn't really leave his man to block shots...he let everything come to him...Kobe/Pau funneled the ball to him. That means that Pau got used to staying with his man. Dwight routinely leaves his man free to aggressively attack penetration, meaning Pau has to rotate over to cover Dwight's man...

VERY different.

But I'll trust your judgement since you seem confident. I don't think it will work but only time will tell.

#80 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,241 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted November 21, 2012 - 01:16 PM

your gonna see Pau is gonna break down the kings tonight!!!!

LAKERS FOR LIFE!

BIGGEST LAKERS FAN FROM COLOGNE, GERMANY BABY!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users