15 replies to this topic

#1 Showtime 2.0

Showtime 2.0

NBA Finals MVP

• 108 posts
  • Fan Since:Bryant...to Shaq!!!
  • Fav. Laker:24 16 10 12

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:21 AM

Hey Laker Nation, I haven't posted in a while, changed my user name too with the exciting new era of Laker ball we have.

Anyway, with Mike Antoni's up tempo style of offense, we are obviously going to light up the scoreboard every night, but the defensive side will surely take a significant dip.

I looked up the Defensive Ratings of the DPOY team's the last four years.

http://www.basketbal...s/ORL/2009.html
2009 Magic: 1st
2010 Magic: 3rd
2011 Magic: 3rd
2012 Knicks: 5th (Tyson Chandler)
http://www.basketbal...s/NYK/2012.html

Even though Dwight is not yet at 100% he still has a decent 11.4 rebound and 2.7 block avg per game average through our first 10 games. Indivividually, I hope he can come close to what he was in Orlando but our team Defensive Ratings, like the points we allow for instance, might greatly affect this.

good enough for a 4th DPOY?

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,042 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:28 AM

If the media paid attention to the Lakers enough to mention Dwight as a DPOY candidate then they'd have no choice but to mention Kobe as an MVP candidate.

And they don't want to do that.

Edited by Majesty, November 19, 2012 - 12:28 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,850 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:31 AM

It ill be tough due to pau hurting the defense inside. We are letting them score inside a lot and that will make it hard for him to win it. He will be playing crazy defense soon though. You can tell he looks way better after tonight. He was scaring people so much it made people miss.

Edited by bigfetz, November 19, 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:37 AM

We're not forcing enough turnovers to be a great defensive team...still should be near 10th in the league in defensive rating, the last time I looked, and that won't be good enough to get Howard a DPOY.

It might be time to start looking at guys like Tony Allen, Paul George, and CP3. LeBron will always be in the discussion, but his defense hasn't been that great so far, and Miami is struggling altogether on that end.

Also, don't overlook Dorell Wright. He's one reason why the Sixers are top three defensively, along with Thaddeus Young.

#5 Showtime 2.0

Showtime 2.0

NBA Finals MVP

• 108 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:47 AM

We're not forcing enough turnovers to be a great defensive team...still should be near 10th in the league in defensive rating, the last time I looked, and that won't be good enough to get Howard a DPOY.

It might be time to start looking at guys like Tony Allen, Paul George, and CP3. LeBron will always be in the discussion, but his defense hasn't been that great so far, and Miami is struggling altogether on that end.

Also, don't overlook Dorell Wright. He's one reason why the Sixers are top three defensively, along with Thaddeus Young.

Yup. Memphis, Philly, Indiana all up here. http://espn.go.com/n...efense-per-game

NY at the top though, Tyson Chandler might repeat, considering how rare for a perimeter player to actually win this award.

#6 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,791 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:49 AM

Dwight could make a good case this year as the DPOY - especially if he make a D'Antoni coached team one of the better defensive teams in the league. Right now we're 7th in defensive efficiency and 5th in opponent FG%.

Other guys could be:
Lebron James, obviously. But the Heat arent really getting it done on the defensive end this year (#25 in both defensive efficiency and opponent FG%) so i think it'll be hard for him to win.
Tyson Chandler winning last year was a bit of a stretch, so he probably wont win it this year as well, but NY are REALLY good defensively.
Indiana for some reason is the best defensive team in the league, but i really cant see the struggling Hibbert winning anything.

#7 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,025 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:25 AM

I feel like they might give it to Ibaka if he's averaging those big numbers for blocks and OKC is a top defensive team.

I think the chances of any Laker getting any individual award this year is very very slim. (Other than finals MVP :D)

#8 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,707 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:27 AM

It's going to be real fun when he is 100%
Posted Image

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,791 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:32 AM

I feel like they might give it to Ibaka if he's averaging those big numbers for blocks and OKC is a top defensive team.

I think the chances of any Laker getting any individual award this year is very very slim. (Other than finals MVP :D)

I dont think Ibaka will win it. OKC isn't good enough defensively and he is a bit overrated as a defender.

You might be right on the individual awards. But finals MVP is the only one that matters.

#10 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted November 19, 2012 - 05:48 AM

Dorell Wright is always overlooked, I traded MWP for him in 2K soon as I turned it on. Haha

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#11 Showtime 2.0

Showtime 2.0

NBA Finals MVP

• 108 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 11:01 AM

I feel like Ibaka is only a great help defender but not really the overall defensive impact that a Dwight or Chandler can provide. We saw in the Rockets game how much Howard's presence affects the shot mentality of opposing players. Sometimes hel just blink at you and it will force you into an off balance shot.

#12 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,458 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted November 19, 2012 - 04:24 PM

I would love Paul George!

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#13 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Well his getting his legs back so maybe yeh heres a delight to your eyes:
Posted Image
Laker fan for life.

#14 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Hasn't gotten all of his legs back, but he has gotten some faith in himself back hence the willingness to slam it like he was
Posted Image

#15 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,477 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:50 PM

Posted Image
Dwight is awesome.

Edited by Chad, November 19, 2012 - 08:51 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#16 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,729 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image
Dwight is awesome.

Damn didn't know Wilt was that big. [expletive].

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users