Photo

Backup Point Guard

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

Poll: Backup PG (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Backup PG

1. Blake (19 votes [26.76%])

Percentage of vote: 26.76%

2. Duhon (4 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

3. Morris (48 votes [67.61%])

Percentage of vote: 67.61%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,383 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm not even going to go that far because now it's starting petty... I just see people really don't look for players overall game and try to figure out what players are best at... Like I have said a lot I watch a lot of basketball and I notice the little things a lot of people over look

Well in your last few posts you have called someone a hater, dumb, and now pathetic.

Your problem is that you cannot seem to form an opinion without throwing in an unnecessary comment at the end of it.

I don't care how "right" you think you are after a few games or how much basketball you watch, you need to learn how to actually discuss basketball with other people.

#102 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:19 PM

oh really?? RD makes me look so dumb huh? he posts a lot of stats that don't mean anything like posting defensive numbers for a player who only played 19 games vs a player who played for most of the season getting 23 minutes a game LOL

And yet, you automatically say that Darius Morris should have started over Derek Fisher AND Steve Blake last season because...why?

Do you want me to go back into your posts and find that one single preseason game, where you posted Darius Morris' numbers and told us he was going to be a good player? LOL...or when you posted his preseason averages and said that he has potential to do good in the NBA?

I'm sorry, but you honestly need to look up the definition of hypocrisy, and understand why I've been posting Morris' stats the entire time. You might be the only person on this site that doesn't get it yet.

#103 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,996 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:20 PM

I'm not even going to go that far because now it's starting petty... I just see people really don't look for players overall game and try to figure out what players are best at... Like I have said a lot I watch a lot of basketball and I notice the little things a lot of people over look

There is a difference between calling out people that want to see progression before they jump to supporting someone. But I've yet to find someone here that was rooting for Morris to fail.

If anything people jumped on you because you assumed so much even when he was playing bad.

I'm one of Morris's biggest supporters on this site and I have no problem acknowledging his flaws and when he made mistakes, so that when he plays well I can acknowledge what he's doing well.

A Flip flopper would be someone that would say "MORRIS WILL BE NOTHING IN THIS LEAGUE!!" and then when he has one good game they say "Always had faith in the kid! he's a star!"

But someone that says "What Morris has shown thus far doesn't make me think he'll do as well." and then when he plays well over a period of time say "He appears to have worked on this and that and is playing well, that's good!"

That's someone that's actually watching for progress, not blindly praising it without evidence.

Consider that. And it only got petty off of what you said. So you may want to retract that.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#104 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Well in your last few posts you have called someone a hater, dumb, and now pathetic.

Your problem is that you cannot seem to form an opinion without throwing in an unnecessary comment at the end of it.

I don't care how "right" you think you are after a few games or how much basketball you watch, you need to learn how to actually discuss basketball with other people.

All I do is give back the respect that is given and when none is given you can expect things like that... I've been called dumb, stupid, or whatever else and I ignore because the same idiots that call me dumb usually end up being wrong about whatever their opinion was and right now the only player I've been wrong about was Gerald Green but besides that I've been pretty accurate for the most part

#105 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,539 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:22 PM

Morris is showing good improvement.
Hitting his shots, and even created a little bit for others...

#106 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,252 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:24 PM

oh really?? RD makes me look so dumb huh? he posts a lot of stats that don't mean anything like posting defensive numbers for a player who only played 19 games vs a player who played for most of the season getting 23 minutes a game LOL

I don't have a list of unnecessary stats the most I can give you is a box score a player efficiency anything beyond that is doing too much. I think somebody tried to argue with me that if Morris played 20 minutes he would average 6 turnovers a game or something stupid like that and showed "advanced stats" that really didn't prove anything besides the fact that... wherever he got those results from where bs and Morris played better in extended minutes and played better than Blake on BOTH ends of the floor this season

Yes, RD has absolutely ROCKED you before.

You know what your problem is CJ? You like to pick and choose when you want to use statistics to back up your arguments. That'll get you in a heap of trouble if you're talking basketball, and RD has already pointed that out to you on more than one occasion.

You want to make a case for Morris being head and shoulders better than Blake? Go right ahead, but you better make sure you have some objectivity in your analysis or members will just peg you as a fanboy on your first paragraph.

#107 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,383 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:24 PM

All I do is give back the respect that is given and when none is given you can expect things like that... I've been called dumb, stupid, or whatever else and I ignore because the same idiots that call me dumb usually end up being wrong about whatever their opinion was and right now the only player I've been wrong about was Gerald Green but besides that I've been pretty accurate for the most part

Some life advice... To get respect, you must give respect.

Something you've failed to do since you started posting here.

#108 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,996 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:25 PM

Then don't stoop to their level when trying to prove a point and handle it in PM's. Otherwise you're going to make what was a good night for Morris into a thread about yourself and how "right" you were.

he played well, talk about what he's worked on and leave it at that, calling people out gets you nowhere unless you actually beat them in the debate you were having at the time. If at the time of the debate Morris hadn't played like this then they had every right to believe what they did just as you had every right to believe what you did.

But to pinpoint a night he plays well as the night you get back at everyone for being "right" it brings the entire situation of what happened down and makes it all about yourself.

Which gets no one anywhere and is what seems to turn people off about speaking well of Morris. You have to do with that just as much as anything, so don't play the victim.

Alright enough about that.

Morris played VERY well tonight, and I hope he continues to make progress.

#109 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:27 PM

There is a difference between calling out people that want to see progression before they jump to supporting someone. But I've yet to find someone here that was rooting for Morris to fail.

If anything people jumped on you because you assumed so much even when he was playing bad.

I'm one of Morris's biggest supporters on this site and I have no problem acknowledging his flaws and when he made mistakes, so that when he plays well I can acknowledge what he's doing well.

A Flip flopper would be someone that would say "MORRIS WILL BE NOTHING IN THIS LEAGUE!!" and then when he has one good game they say "Always had faith in the kid! he's a star!"

But someone that says "What Morris has shown thus far doesn't make me think he'll do as well." and then when he plays well over a period of time say "He appears to have worked on this and that and is playing well, that's good!"

That's someone that's actually watching for progress, not blindly praising it without evidence.

Consider that. And it only got petty off of what you said. So you may want to retract that.

I've seen that A LOT but I'm not going to last years game day threads...

#110 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,996 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:28 PM

I've seen that A LOT but I'm not going to last years game day threads...

Morris isn't the same player he was last year. Please do not try to make that argument :eh:

#111 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:34 PM

Yes, RD has absolutely ROCKED you before.

You know what your problem is CJ? You like to pick and choose when you want to use statistics to back up your arguments. That'll get you in a heap of trouble if you're talking basketball, and RD has already pointed that out to you on more than one occasion.

You want to make a case for Morris being head and shoulders better than Blake? Go right ahead, but you better make sure you have some objectivity in your analysis or members will just peg you as a fanboy on your first paragraph.

The most stats I use are box score stats after watching the game lol like I said anything beyond that is pointless to me..

RD just picks and chooses players on favoritism and the players he doesn't like he tries to find as many statistics to try to prove that they are terrible, but I do feel that the stats he tried to put up against Morris were EXTREMELY weak based on a small sample size compared to another player playing 23 minutes a game

I'll give RD this though he does know how to put his argument better than me and knows how to construct it way better than I can....

#112 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:36 PM

Then don't stoop to their level when trying to prove a point and handle it in PM's. Otherwise you're going to make what was a good night for Morris into a thread about yourself and how "right" you were.

he played well, talk about what he's worked on and leave it at that, calling people out gets you nowhere unless you actually beat them in the debate you were having at the time. If at the time of the debate Morris hadn't played like this then they had every right to believe what they did just as you had every right to believe what you did.

But to pinpoint a night he plays well as the night you get back at everyone for being "right" it brings the entire situation of what happened down and makes it all about yourself.

Which gets no one anywhere and is what seems to turn people off about speaking well of Morris. You have to do with that just as much as anything, so don't play the victim.

Alright enough about that.

Morris played VERY well tonight, and I hope he continues to make progress.

end of discussion and NO I will not PM somebody on a message board that's L A M E

#113 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 11:44 PM

And yet, you automatically say that Darius Morris should have started over Derek Fisher AND Steve Blake last season because...why?

Do you want me to go back into your posts and find that one single preseason game, where you posted Darius Morris' numbers and told us he was going to be a good player? LOL...or when you posted his preseason averages and said that he has potential to do good in the NBA?

I'm sorry, but you honestly need to look up the definition of hypocrisy, and understand why I've been posting Morris' stats the entire time. You might be the only person on this site that doesn't get it yet.

I said he should have started last season because he was the only PG we had on the roster who could stay in front of their man! I just wanted Morris to start for defensive purposes and to create for others... and if he scored that could have been a bonus but watching Blake and Fisher out there had to be the most painful thing to watch

And yes Darius could become a Good player in this league if he continues to work hard and learn the game. he already said he wants to be a top 5 PG in the league so he wants to be great ,but him actually becoming great? IDK too early but I know he can at least be good

#114 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 19, 2012 - 12:18 AM

I said he should have started last season because he was the only PG we had on the roster who could stay in front of their man!

And my entire point back then was...what makes you think he could do that, when defensive numbers suggested he couldn't even stay in front of the horrible bench players he was defending? And yes, that's in the 19 games with little minutes...the same amount of games and minutes you would have to base your statement on (because there was nothing else).

The Lakers contend every year. You don't just drop in and become a starter, unless others are injured. You can't take a young, inexperienced and reckless PG and stick him alongside Kobe, a hungry center who wants the ball in Bynum, and a passive PF in Gasol. There was no way that was going to happen, doesn't matter if he was playing CP3 defense (but okay, that's a stretch...you know what I'm saying).

And by the way, you act like I never supported him, like I hated him from the start. This was posted over at my site on December 20th of last season...actually, when he wasn't playing so well:

Posted Image

But, unlike you, I made sure to say he would have to adjust quite a bit, slow his game down (which he has) and feed off of Kobe and (back then) Drew and Gasol (now Howard and Gasol).

Right now, at this very moment, Morris has had two impressive games for a second-round pick. Deep down, you know that's not saying much. You know that those two games mean about as much as the 35% shooting...either you acknowledge both, or ignore both.

---------

Just a few nights ago, he went 0-5, missed three free throws, threw one assist (maybe one...that or zero) against the Spurs...and yet, you bragged about his defense on Tony Parker. Suddenly, you were right about everything, because he was D'ing up Parker.

But then, on Friday, when Goran Dragic dropped 22 on him, on 53% FG, you didn't want to discuss Morris' defense...and instead, you highlighted his six assists.

That's the problem. There's no reason to go off and say that I use "small sample sizes" of statistics to prove my point...because I don't. I take what he has done, as a whole, and judge him (and everyone). Jodie Meeks (who I was happy to get...not too excited, but glad to see another three-point shooter here) shot pretty well against Phoenix. Doesn't mean jack. He's hitting 33.3% on the season, and what he does as a whole is what I care about...not just the shooting, but his defense, his understanding of the offense, him recognizing the primacy of Kobe and Dwight, his ability to pass, etc.

If, or when, Morris finishes the season with higher shooting percentages than Steve Blake, OR his defense is better (based on just observation and his defensive numbers) while his shooting improves slightly...then, yeah, he'll start to earn my respect as a decent backup PG. Until then, I'm not going to call him one because he was not an Irving, Lillard, or Rose coming out of college.

If those two games make that much of a difference...and his age...we might as well start Jordan Hill, and bring Pau Gasol off the bench (which would be a mistake), because by the numbers, Hill is more efficient and grabbing more boards PER36 (even more than Dwight), basically averaging 16/12 PER36...but that's not how things work.

#115 Renegade

Renegade

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted November 19, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Tonight, he went for 12 points 5 assists 2 steals and held Lin to 2-9 shooting. That is pure goodness on an overall level. He should be the backup PG. This is hardly a debate. Just look at his finishing in fastbreaks () and DEFENSE (there was a clear dropoff when Duhon came in for him). Not to mention his occasional penetration and dish as well as the consistent 3 recently (7-16 44%). In previous weeks, you may still make the argument that Blake had a better 3 and that Morris was playing out of control. NOT ANYMORE mates. There is not a single thing Blake can do better than Morris. If you wanna talk about experience, there are still like 70+ games for Morris to pick it up. Even if Morris has a bad game every once in a blue moon, u guys overstate it. Morris has good games as well while Blake doesnt.

Really, no debate. quote my post if u agree.

#116 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 07:36 AM

And my entire point back then was...what makes you think he could do that, when defensive numbers suggested he couldn't even stay in front of the horrible bench players he was defending? And yes, that's in the 19 games with little minutes...the same amount of games and minutes you would have to base your statement on (because there was nothing else).

The Lakers contend every year. You don't just drop in and become a starter, unless others are injured. You can't take a young, inexperienced and reckless PG and stick him alongside Kobe, a hungry center who wants the ball in Bynum, and a passive PF in Gasol. There was no way that was going to happen, doesn't matter if he was playing CP3 defense (but okay, that's a stretch...you know what I'm saying).

And by the way, you act like I never supported him, like I hated him from the start. This was posted over at my site on December 20th of last season...actually, when he wasn't playing so well:

Posted Image

But, unlike you, I made sure to say he would have to adjust quite a bit, slow his game down (which he has) and feed off of Kobe and (back then) Drew and Gasol (now Howard and Gasol).

Right now, at this very moment, Morris has had two impressive games for a second-round pick. Deep down, you know that's not saying much. You know that those two games mean about as much as the 35% shooting...either you acknowledge both, or ignore both.

---------

Just a few nights ago, he went 0-5, missed three free throws, threw one assist (maybe one...that or zero) against the Spurs...and yet, you bragged about his defense on Tony Parker. Suddenly, you were right about everything, because he was D'ing up Parker.

But then, on Friday, when Goran Dragic dropped 22 on him, on 53% FG, you didn't want to discuss Morris' defense...and instead, you highlighted his six assists.

That's the problem. There's no reason to go off and say that I use "small sample sizes" of statistics to prove my point...because I don't. I take what he has done, as a whole, and judge him (and everyone). Jodie Meeks (who I was happy to get...not too excited, but glad to see another three-point shooter here) shot pretty well against Phoenix. Doesn't mean jack. He's hitting 33.3% on the season, and what he does as a whole is what I care about...not just the shooting, but his defense, his understanding of the offense, him recognizing the primacy of Kobe and Dwight, his ability to pass, etc.

If, or when, Morris finishes the season with higher shooting percentages than Steve Blake, OR his defense is better (based on just observation and his defensive numbers) while his shooting improves slightly...then, yeah, he'll start to earn my respect as a decent backup PG. Until then, I'm not going to call him one because he was not an Irving, Lillard, or Rose coming out of college.

If those two games make that much of a difference...and his age...we might as well start Jordan Hill, and bring Pau Gasol off the bench (which would be a mistake), because by the numbers, Hill is more efficient and grabbing more boards PER36 (even more than Dwight), basically averaging 16/12 PER36...but that's not how things work.

Pau is an former all star and use to be the second option so starting Jordan hill over him would make no sense but Blake has been garbage majority of his career lets not act like he deserves any minutes at all

#117 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,383 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:01 AM

Pau is an former all star and use to be the second option so starting Jordan hill over him would make no sense but Blake has been garbage majority of his career lets not act like he deserves any minutes at all

You really miss the point that Steve Blake has always been a serviceable NBA back up point guard, reason why he was drafted in the second round.

He's 'garbage' because of what you think he should be.you don't look at what he actually is. You don't stay in the NBA averaging 20-25 minutes a game over your career by being garbage. He's not a sixth man of the year type player, he's serviceable. Nothing more nothing less.

I will never expect D-Morris to be anything more than a back up guard, but hopefully he can develop into something more than that. I'm not sure what you expect Morris to average over his career, but if he can average 8 ppg with 4-5 assist that would be just fine with me (something Blake averaged during his good years).

#118 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:21 AM

You really miss the point that Steve Blake has always been a serviceable NBA back up point guard, reason why he was drafted in the second round.

He's 'garbage' because of what you think he should be.you don't look at what he actually is. You don't stay in the NBA averaging 20-25 minutes a game over your career by being garbage. He's not a sixth man of the year type player, he's serviceable. Nothing more nothing less.

I will never expect D-Morris to be anything more than a back up guard, but hopefully he can develop into something more than that. I'm not sure what you expect Morris to average over his career, but if he can average 8 ppg with 4-5 assist that would be just fine with me (something Blake averaged during his good years).

Kwame brown still playing right?
I'm not looking long term for Morris cause I don't know what a player will do in the future but right now he should be getting the back up PG minutes and not Blake

#119 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:23 AM

Morris is making a strong case to take that backup PG spot. He's a better defender than Blake, while Steve is the better shooter eventhough Morris has been knocking some shots lately. I don't know .. It's tough. Steve still has the spot, but Darrius is right behind him.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#120 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted November 19, 2012 - 08:24 AM

This is like Sasha all over again lol except we had girls vouching for him the hardest

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users