• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,620 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 17, 2012 - 12:54 AM

But but but the Lakers are old and can't push the ball. Kobe's old and past his prime, and Nash is ancient and can't run at all anymore. :bleh:

#22 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:35 AM

The offense is good and the uptempo play definitely shows results. The defense was terrible though .. I'm talking about wide open layups given up .. especially early on. I'm talking about Luis Scola looking like Shaq out there. We gave up what .. 60+ points in the paint ? That's not good if you have Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and even Jordan Hill in there. You would expect the Suns to beat you from the outside, but not on the inside .. Luckily It was a game of runs and we made the last and most important run. And Metta was ballin'. He was one of the brightside's to this game and one of the few that played consistent D.

Say hello to the Los Angeles Suns .. You saw a glimpse of what this team under D'iantoni will look like. Is this bad or good ? You decide for yourself ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#23 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,065 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:07 AM

Say hello to the Los Angeles Suns.

That's what people want I guess: Excitement but not championships

Pau Gasol is GONE

#24 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:09 AM

That's what people want I guess: Excitement but not championships

Of course we want championships. Yeah the defense was horrible last night, but the Suns are a very explosive offense and as it's been mentioned countless times Dwight Howard is nowhere near 100 percent. Once he gets fully healthy this defense will improve significantly.
htCCl0m.png

#25 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2012 - 09:56 AM

It's not that the Suns were lights out it's that we put no effort behind our defense

#26 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,065 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted November 17, 2012 - 02:09 PM

Of course we want championships. Yeah the defense was horrible last night, but the Suns are a very explosive offense and as it's been mentioned countless times Dwight Howard is nowhere near 100 percent. Once he gets fully healthy this defense will improve significantly.

As a team, Phoenix is only shooting 43% on the season. They shot 49% from the field against us.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#27 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 17, 2012 - 11:40 PM

Before tonight, the Suns came in allowing 104 PPG (29th in the NBA), allowing 47.4% FG (28th) and 44.1% 3PT (30th), 28th in opponent rebounds and 30th in opponent assists. Total defense, 29th in the NBA (and probably 30th after tonight).

So let's not jump to conclusions. We ran a team off the court that has wins over Detroit, Charlotte, Cleveland, and a busted-up, unhealthy Nuggets squad...and a team that is arguably the worst defensive team in the league.

It's fine to push the tempo a bit (never been against that, only against running a run-and-gun offense...two different things), but we can't get carried away because teams that are exceptional back on defense will shut us down, and by the time the end of the third rolls in, a majority of our veterans will be gassed. It's not the running that tires a basketball player, it's how much it takes out of them to score and defend...but, when you run, it's tougher to score when you're much older.

I think we should be in the "banged up" category, not even close to our true potential. We are missing our starting PG, our starting Center is still not 100%, our coach can't walk without crutches or some assistance...once we get all of the pieces back and healthy, I think it's fair to say that our defense has a better chance to play more consistently.

We played at PHO's pace, played in THEIR offense and after 1 or 2 practices. If there is any team in the league who should be prepared to stop our offense, it is PHO...

I agree that we shouldn't make too much out of this game based on the opponent but I think once we are at our best, it won't really matter if who we're playing. We should be ok...

#28 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 18, 2012 - 01:50 PM

We played at PHO's pace, played in THEIR offense and after 1 or 2 practices. If there is any team in the league who should be prepared to stop our offense, it is PHO...

I think I'm understanding you...you're talking about the 2012 Suns, correct? Because in no way we are matching the old Phoenix offense (just to clarify, maybe to others more than anyone else).

I seriously doubt we're going to run the seven-second O here.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,644 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 18, 2012 - 02:49 PM

I think I'm understanding you...you're talking about the 2012 Suns, correct? Because in no way we are matching the old Phoenix offense (just to clarify, maybe to others more than anyone else).

I seriously doubt we're going to run the seven-second O here.

Probably with our bench more than our starters, with Pau and the bench we could see some 7 second O, with Dwight we'll see a combination of PnR and 4 in one out like we were doing before I believe. that probably works best with Meeks and Jamison out there

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#30 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,392 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:10 PM

Ramon Sessions would have been great in this offense. Just saying. Nash over Sessions obviously, but Sessions off the bench in this system would have been a tremendous advantage.

#31 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:19 PM

Probably with our bench more than our starters, with Pau and the bench we could see some 7 second O, with Dwight we'll see a combination of PnR and 4 in one out like we were doing before I believe. that probably works best with Meeks and Jamison out there

Maybe, but that may not be the smartest thing against quicker teams with those quick players being more skilled than ours. It's more logical to post Gasol up, as a passing PF, and circle the perimeter with our shooters (Blake will be back on the bench), and work through Gasol, to kick out to Blake, Meeks, and Jamison (and I suppose Ebanks).

Otherwise, you're pushing the ball and likely leaving out Gasol and Jamison, going three-up with Meeks, Ebanks and Blake...who aren't necessarily skilled enough to do what Nash was able to do with Barbosa and/or House.

Back in Phoenix, D'Antoni didn't push the tempo THAT much with Nash on the bench. Instead, Boris and Barbosa would work halfcourt, still pushing the tempo when necessary, but Barbosa's ability to get to the rim, and Boris being able to play like a center or a guard, gave the players a rest from all the running. Didn't let them get out of control, even though I can't say Barbosa was really ever in control of his game, since he did cost Phoenix a few games here and there.

Those Phoenix teams were nuts. Six players on their roster shot 38% or better from three in 2007, and shot a combined 23 of them a game (just those six...had another eight a night from the other players). I'm sure it was like that every season around 2004-07 or so...and one year, Q-Rich was shooting eight a game by himself, and probably around that 38%.

If we had three-point shooters like THAT, then I would love for us to duplicate what Phoenix was doing with their bench...but we don't, and with Gasol shooting the way he is right now, I'd rather see him being used as a passing PF that stays near the rim for rebounds, instead of shutting him out completely and breaking him down mentally.

#32 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,644 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:45 PM

Maybe, but that may not be the smartest thing against quicker teams with those quick players being more skilled than ours. It's more logical to post Gasol up, as a passing PF, and circle the perimeter with our shooters (Blake will be back on the bench), and work through Gasol, to kick out to Blake, Meeks, and Jamison (and I suppose Ebanks).

Otherwise, you're pushing the ball and likely leaving out Gasol and Jamison, going three-up with Meeks, Ebanks and Blake...who aren't necessarily skilled enough to do what Nash was able to do with Barbosa and/or House.

Back in Phoenix, D'Antoni didn't push the tempo THAT much with Nash on the bench. Instead, Boris and Barbosa would work halfcourt, still pushing the tempo when necessary, but Barbosa's ability to get to the rim, and Boris being able to play like a center or a guard, gave the players a rest from all the running. Didn't let them get out of control, even though I can't say Barbosa was really ever in control of his game, since he did cost Phoenix a few games here and there.

Those Phoenix teams were nuts. Six players on their roster shot 38% or better from three in 2007, and shot a combined 23 of them a game (just those six...had another eight a night from the other players). I'm sure it was like that every season around 2004-07 or so...and one year, Q-Rich was shooting eight a game by himself, and probably around that 38%.

If we had three-point shooters like THAT, then I would love for us to duplicate what Phoenix was doing with their bench...but we don't, and with Gasol shooting the way he is right now, I'd rather see him being used as a passing PF that stays near the rim for rebounds, instead of shutting him out completely and breaking him down mentally.

I agree but I don't see Jamison playing the 4 much unless Dwight is at the 5. With a bench lineup with Pau in there I see Hill and Gasol out there for the most part and Jamison at the 3, Meeks at the 2 and Blake at the 1.

Because something tells me if we ran a lineup with Jamison at the 4 and Pau at the 5 we'd get destroyed on the inside. Unless we ran a lineup with Jamison at the 4 and Hill at the 5 but then putting Ebanks at the 3 I don't know how reliable he'd be unless we stuck Kobe at the 3 but because we're trying to get his minutes down we'd probably be better placed to not do that unless we stuck Metta at the 3 with our bench lineup initially.

#33 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,086 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:49 PM

What will happen in the playoffs if quicker teams can rotate faster, would it cause the offense to be in trouble?

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#34 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,644 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 03:50 PM

What will happen in the playoffs if quicker teams can rotate faster, would it cause the offense to be in trouble?

I don't know why people forget that D'antoni does have half court sets and knows how to run an offense when things slow down.

He wouldn't have been an altercation away from the finals if he didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users