#21 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 15, 2012 - 02:46 PM

Let it go. He's with the Clippers and he ain't coming back.
htCCl0m.png

#22 haztronic

haztronic

From Laguna/Love the Lakers

• 336 posts
  • Name:Harry
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 15, 2012 - 03:25 PM

No I think CP3 wants to be a knick & thats why he still hasnt committed to Clips. At Melos wedding they made a promise to join forces. Lets see if CP3 goes back on that & resigns with Clips.

I'd be the happiest guy in the world if he left the clippers haha, then that team would go way downhill.
DIE HARD LAKER FAN 4 LIFE!

• 40,431 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 04:31 PM

this topic again?

Lol. As soon as I read the thread title, I immediately searched for your post. Didn't disappoint :laughing:

Edited by    , November 15, 2012 - 04:31 PM.

yo.

#24 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 15, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Let bygones be bygones. Seriously no need to bring that moment of anger, hurt, and frustration up again. That was a bad day for the NBA and the Lakers. Makes me want to choke Stern everytime I think about it. Just let it be.

Edited by Lakers4Life, November 15, 2012 - 04:40 PM.

Laker fan for life.

#25 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 15, 2012 - 04:39 PM

Posted Image

#26 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,981 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:56 PM

The intent was to get CP3 and Dwight. Everyone knew this could not happen, so Stern stepped in. But look at the bright side, we will now go into summer 2014 with Dwight and a ton of money. We will have a chance at that time to acquire someone even better than CP3.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#27 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:29 PM

But look at the bright side, we will now go into summer 2014 with Dwight and a ton of money.

If Kobe retires.

Otherwise, assuming he stays and takes...let's just say 50% of his current salary ($15 mill)...we'll have Dwight, Nash and Kobe making a combined $45 million (maybe more, if Howard is making over $20 million). That gives us $13 million to work with, not a max contract...and that's also assuming we have nobody else on the roster (meaning..literally, nobody else).

A sign-and-trade would make sense at that point, but...we won't have anything to trade, other than those three players above, and no team is going to take a 40-year old Nash, and Kobe won't be traded (and even if the Lakers considered it, at the tail end of his career, he wouldn't be worth a superstar).

#28 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,242 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:32 PM

I swear theres a what if we got cp3 thread like every month now.

#29 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,981 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 03:37 AM

If Kobe retires.

Otherwise, assuming he stays and takes...let's just say 50% of his current salary ($15 mill)...we'll have Dwight, Nash and Kobe making a combined $45 million (maybe more, if Howard is making over $20 million). That gives us $13 million to work with, not a max contract...and that's also assuming we have nobody else on the roster (meaning..literally, nobody else).

A sign-and-trade would make sense at that point, but...we won't have anything to trade, other than those three players above, and no team is going to take a 40-year old Nash, and Kobe won't be traded (and even if the Lakers considered it, at the tail end of his career, he wouldn't be worth a superstar).

I don't believe that management, or Kobe, is going to let kobe get in the way of effectively building this team for the future. A lot of people disagree with me on this, but i actually believe he understands that with the new CBA that it won't be fair for him, at 36 years old, to demand such a huge piece of the pie that it costs the Lakers a chance at securing someone for the future.

This will get clearer as times go by. Very few thought we could pull together Nash and Dwight this summer, but we did.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#30 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 16, 2012 - 04:54 AM

A Kobe/Dwight/CP3 trio would be better than what we have, but what's done is done.

Do I think he wants to be a Laker? Probably not, because right now, he's got what he wants in the Clippers, who are winning. If they fall in the first or second round once again, maybe he'll think back to the one day he was a Laker...but that won't do anything for us OR him. This season will be the first that teams aren't allowed to do a sign-and-trade if they are over the cap, so unless we amnesty Kobe and trade Gasol to a team for a second-round draft pick, we aren't getting CP3.

Does this mean, that if Dwight doesn't want to be Laker this summer we lose him for nothing?

#31 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:05 AM

^ no. You can still sign and trade to teams under the cap. But pretty much yes you are screwed.
Laker fan for life.

#32 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:06 AM

Also I beg a moderator to lock this pointless and annoying thread. I hate seeing reminders and IFs of situations like this. Its just simply pointless. (no offence to OP - but no need to bring WHAT IF we got CP3 its as good as saying what if we got Jordan)

Edited by Lakers4Life, November 16, 2012 - 06:06 AM.

Laker fan for life.

#33 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 16, 2012 - 06:48 AM

And what if we get LeBron in 2014?

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,877 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:48 AM

Does this mean, that if Dwight doesn't want to be Laker this summer we lose him for nothing?

Instead of saying "cap" in my post, I meant the tax (I believe teams won't be able to S&T a player if it puts them $4+ million over the tax threshold, but don't quote me on that yet...I need to read into the CBA a bit more, to find loopholes).

But, as mentioned above, it only applies to teams receiving the player in the trade, so when it comes to trading Dwight, we'll be fine. I was mainly talking about us acquiring someone like LeBron.

I don't believe that management, or Kobe, is going to let kobe get in the way of effectively building this team for the future. A lot of people disagree with me on this, but i actually believe he understands that with the new CBA that it won't be fair for him, at 36 years old, to demand such a huge piece of the pie that it costs the Lakers a chance at securing someone for the future.

This will get clearer as times go by. Very few thought we could pull together Nash and Dwight this summer, but we did.

We did bring Nash in, by S&T. And we dealt Bynum for Dwight. Nash was making just a hair under $12 million last year (and has never made more), and now he's making $8.7 million ($9.7 million by the end of his contract). That's not a huge paycut for a 39-year old.

In my math, I'm assuming that Kobe will trim his salary by 50% (to $15 million). THAT will be a huge paycut for someone who will still be able to give you 20 PPG. With the numbers he's putting up right now (26 PPG on 55% FG), and just two years to go, I don't think he's going to decline enough to warrant any less than $15 million.

When that time comes, Kobe will look at Nash's $9.7 million (at 41 years old, in February of his last season), and think to himself that, at 36 (five years younger), he's going to be worth more than $10 million. He would be ignorant to think otherwise.

Of course, none of that is certain, but no basketball player of that caliber would be smart to go any other route. Maybe if he was 40, taking the MLE, but not 36.

#35 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,981 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 01:16 PM

Instead of saying "cap" in my post, I meant the tax (I believe teams won't be able to S&T a player if it puts them $4+ million over the tax threshold, but don't quote me on that yet...I need to read into the CBA a bit more, to find loopholes).

But, as mentioned above, it only applies to teams receiving the player in the trade, so when it comes to trading Dwight, we'll be fine. I was mainly talking about us acquiring someone like LeBron.

We did bring Nash in, by S&T. And we dealt Bynum for Dwight. Nash was making just a hair under $12 million last year (and has never made more), and now he's making $8.7 million ($9.7 million by the end of his contract). That's not a huge paycut for a 39-year old.

In my math, I'm assuming that Kobe will trim his salary by 50% (to $15 million). THAT will be a huge paycut for someone who will still be able to give you 20 PPG. With the numbers he's putting up right now (26 PPG on 55% FG), and just two years to go, I don't think he's going to decline enough to warrant any less than $15 million.

When that time comes, Kobe will look at Nash's $9.7 million (at 41 years old, in February of his last season), and think to himself that, at 36 (five years younger), he's going to be worth more than $10 million. He would be ignorant to think otherwise.

Of course, none of that is certain, but no basketball player of that caliber would be smart to go any other route. Maybe if he was 40, taking the MLE, but not 36.

It's all just chatter right now. If no one is available, Kobe may sign a 1-year, $25 million deal to play that season. It still is going o come down to, at age 36, determining what is the best move for the future of the franchise. Kobe knows that, and I think it's part of the reason why he's already hinting at retirement. I don't think he wants to be in a bitter salary situation after playing 18 glorious years in LA. Time, dollars, health, and championships will go a long way toward determining what course of action both parties take in 2014.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#36 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 03:57 PM

I think Kobe will take about 17-22 million if he stays a last year. Similar to Tim Duncans last couple year contracts. It all depends on the 2014 situation. I honestly see Kobe taking A LOT less if it means being able to get another guy to win a championship. I think he would like that. BUt lets wait and see. Pau will still want alot of money (if still on the team), Dwight will, and Nash... so yeh lets wait and see.
Laker fan for life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users