#1 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:13 AM

Now I'm not gonna sit here, lie, and say I wasn't a little dissapointed when the I found the Lakers had hired Mike D'Antoni as the new head coach instead of Phil Jackson. Sometimes as fans we are very impatient and rush judgement without considering that this front office has gotten it done so many times and they clearly now how to get it done.
Like alot of Lakers fans and Kobe even said it as well I felt Phil didn't go out the right way. Now that I've thought about it Mike is the better choice for a few reasons.

First off the Mitch Kupchack was absolutely correct in saying the triangle offense wouldn't fit our roster very well. Only three players really have experience playing it in their respective career and that's the only four players remaining from the last time the Lakers ran the triangle. Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace, and Steve Blake. It's widely known that in the triangle offense you don't typically use an actual point guard and your point guard usually is used as a spot up shooter. With that in mind the triangle as good of an offense as it's been would've severely limited Steve Nash. Nash as we saw in Phoenix is the ultimate pick and roll player. With Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol argurably the two pick and roll bigs in the league this Lakers team will be very deadly in pick and roll situations. I've studied Mike's offense and it's one where you put the ball in the point guards hands very often. He'll run pick and roll, pick and pop, and also have the floor spread properly for penetration and kick outs. That's why Phoenix was so deadly offensively. They had a great pick and role tandem in Nash and Amare Stoudamire, but also terrific shooters. Guys like Kobe who has shot very well this season, and also guys like World Peace, Jamison, Blake, and Jodie Meeks will need to be able to knock down open shots consistently.

The thing about Mike D'Antoni one thing you always hear is he doesn't preach defense which is quite honestly not true. You have to look at the rosters he had and especially in New York they were poorly constructed and didn't have many quality defensive talent. In Phoenix he really didn't have a lockdown defender or a shot blocking paint presence. That's not be the case in Los Angeles. You have obviously Kobe and World Peace, two solid perimeter defenders and then obviously Dwight Howard who when gets back is without question the best defensive player in the league. You saw the other night what a great help and pick and roll defender that Dwight is and he's only gonna be even more dominant when he gets back to full strength.

I also think D'Antoni is unfairly criticized for not having a championship. You look at Phoenix they played in a very brutal Western Conference. In 2004-2005 they signed Steve Nash and had a terrific regular season. Joe Johnson than got injured and wasn't the same player against the Spurs. They lost in 5 games. The next season Amare Stoudamire had to undergo knee surgery and missed the entire season. Most thought Phoenix would struggle to make the playoffs yet and still they had one of the best records in the league and were a couple of games away from the Finals. The next season they got Amare back and it took him awhile to get back to form, but he did eventually. They were about to even the series with San Antonio in 2007 when one of the most polarizing incidents in NBA history occurred. Robert Horry threw Steve Nash right into the scorer's table. Amare left the bench and was suspended for game 5 which Phoenix obviously lost. They got eliminated in San Antonio. The next season Phoenix was very up and down during the regular season and decided to make a very risky trade by getting Shaquille O'Neal. They got into the postseason as the #6 seed. I was actually at the first game which was absolutely crazy. Phoenix led by double digits until San Antonio stormed back. The Suns were up by 3 and then Tim Duncan hit a game winning tying pointer to send the game to overtake. I remember looking at my buddy like did that really just happen. San Antonio went on to win the game and eventually the series and D' Antoni was fired.

He obviously got a job in New York the next season with the Knicks. In the first couple of years for Mike he was given a roster that just wasn't for very good yet they were still somewhat competitive. They had alot of guys on short term deals because they were trying to get LeBron James via free agency in 2010. They didn't get him and instead they gave a max a contract to Amare Stoudamire also signed Raymond Felton. They got off to a very good start and folks in New York were finally thrilled to be seeing a competitive and probable playoff team. Then in February they got absolutely robbed in a trade. They traded Raymond Felton, Galino Dalinari, Wilson Chandler, Timofthy Mozgov for Carmelo Anthony. They gave up three key rotation players for a guy they could've and would've gotten in free agency. The team's depth was decimated and as a result they got swept. They didn't do much to improve the roster and as a result they got off to a mediocre start and Mike stepped down.

Now when you look at all the circumstances with Phoenix. Playing in a brutal conference, having an untimely suspension, and untimely injuries to key players you could see why D'Antoni failed to win a championship. In New York he was just given a poorly constructed roster and that's why that was a mediocre team. Given the talent in Los Angeles with Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, his former player Steve Nash, and Pau Gasol I have alot of confidence in this guy to deliver a championship. He's been so close before, but now he has more talent than ever before. I believe in Mike. I also believe he's incredibly hungry because he knows what his rep is fair or not. He knows what's at stake and the expectations that are there. This is an excellent opportunity for him to fix his reputation as a basketball coach. Mike D'Antoni will coach this team to a championship. :rock:

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, November 16, 2012 - 10:20 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#2 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:31 AM

I'll believe in MDT if Mitch trades Pau for some athletic shooters.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#3 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,522 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 15, 2012 - 08:45 AM

We got like 4 different MDT threads lol

Edited by LakeShow805, November 15, 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#4 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,507 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:24 AM

I' m not gonna be mad at Mike D'antoni, because its not his fault the Lakers chose him over Phil. Lots of fans need to get that through their skull! you wanna blame someone, blame Jim Buss, we all know Mike D was Jims choice. Now as a true Laker fan through thick n thin, I will have full support for Mike D'antoni just like I did for all the previous coaches. I know I bashed Mike Brown also, but it wasn't his team to coach.

I hope Mike D proves all these weak ass analyst wrong. Everyone on the team has a chip on their shoulder.

#5 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted November 15, 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't believe D'Antoni is the type of coach for this team as I also didn't believe in Mike Brown. 2 terrible coaching hires by Jim Buss.

His system is not that is not good just that I don't see it working long term. Nash of course he's going to love it as well as Dwight and Gasol but here's the issue, do you really expect this team to run for the rest of the season let alone the playoffs? Kobe is not as fast as he used to be, Nash now appears to be injury prone and Gasol even though he looks in good shape has not been playing as good as I think he can. This system will tire us out and will put us in a higher chance to get injured because we're going to have to run up and down the court and that is not what we need.

I understand what you said about Phil and the triangle but he always finds a way. I'm sure he would of found someway somehow to use Nash at its best... its Phil Jackson come on. I mean you can look at most teams in the league and say hey those guys are quick, Mike D'Antoni should be the guys to coach em so they can run, look at Miami, OKC, Chicago, Denver most teams look like would benefit from a fast paced system but do they really? This team needed Phil Jackson he has been proven to get the most out of his players time and time again why would he stop now? the triangle is what we needed not run a 7 second or less offense.

I'll go ahead and point a couple things. Nash has always had a solid backup PG right now we have no backup that can run D'Antoni's offense efficiently. What will happen when he sits? Meeks has been terrible heck our bench has sucked except for Jordan Hill. We need consistent shooters and we don't have that and that is why this offense will fail at times.

Edited by Nego, November 15, 2012 - 09:50 AM.

Posted Image

#6 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,485 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 15, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Mountain Daylight Time is accurate just like any other time zone whats not to believe in?

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#7 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,224 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 15, 2012 - 10:18 AM

I think we'll be fine on both ends of the floor with him as a coach, these last three games we been fine defensively and Kobe said they didn't had a scheme for it, It was basically instincts

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#8 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 12:13 AM

I don't believe D'Antoni is the type of coach for this team as I also didn't believe in Mike Brown. 2 terrible coaching hires by Jim Buss.

His system is not that is not good just that I don't see it working long term. Nash of course he's going to love it as well as Dwight and Gasol but here's the issue, do you really expect this team to run for the rest of the season let alone the playoffs? Kobe is not as fast as he used to be, Nash now appears to be injury prone and Gasol even though he looks in good shape has not been playing as good as I think he can. This system will tire us out and will put us in a higher chance to get injured because we're going to have to run up and down the court and that is not what we need.

I understand what you said about Phil and the triangle but he always finds a way. I'm sure he would of found someway somehow to use Nash at its best... its Phil Jackson come on. I mean you can look at most teams in the league and say hey those guys are quick, Mike D'Antoni should be the guys to coach em so they can run, look at Miami, OKC, Chicago, Denver most teams look like would benefit from a fast paced system but do they really? This team needed Phil Jackson he has been proven to get the most out of his players time and time again why would he stop now? the triangle is what we needed not run a 7 second or less offense.

I'll go ahead and point a couple things. Nash has always had a solid backup PG right now we have no backup that can run D'Antoni's offense efficiently. What will happen when he sits? Meeks has been terrible heck our bench has sucked except for Jordan Hill. We need consistent shooters and we don't have that and that is why this offense will fail at times.

If D'Antoni's system isn't that good how was it that Phoenix was as successful as they were? You're also conveniently ignoring that Steve Nash had his best seasons in this same system. Fact of the matter is the personnel the Lakers currently have is best suited to run pick and roll which is what Mike's system is essentially. The triangle would severely limit Nash and essentially make him a spot up shooter. That's no what we want. We need him to handle the basketball and make life easier for guys like Kobe, Pau, and Dwight. Those three guys are all terrific pick and roll players.

As Mike mentioned today you don't need a fast or athletic team to run this offense effectively. You just need solid playmakers which we have in guys like Kobe and Nash and bigs who can run the floor which we also have with guys like Dwight and Jordan Hill. As for Nash not having a solid backup I don't are with that at all. Blake has performed much better this season. He's a solid playmaker and spot up shooter when he returns.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, November 16, 2012 - 12:19 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,312 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 16, 2012 - 01:14 AM

So first of all you think we'll be running the entire time

Second of all you disregard D'antoni's ability to adjust the offense to our team despite offense being his thing

Third of all you'd pick Phil because he'd "find a way" to make it work with our lineup and "someway somehow" would make it work where players don't fit...

Fourth of all you think D'antoni can't "find a way" despite being an offensive genius(Kobe's words) and a very good coach, but Phil can just because he's Phil?

Alright first of all, take off your "Phil is my basketball jesus and no one can coach this team but him" glasses for one,

Second of all take off your "all other coaches are incompetent but Phil" glasses.

We have the best pick and roll duo in the entire NBA in Nash and Dwight Howard and we've got a guy as our coach that runs pick and roll; angles better than ANY other in this league.

We also have one of the most deadly pick and roll duo's during the Lakers latest championship run with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol.

That's 4 of our 5 starting lineup guys showing to be vicious and deadly in the pick and roll and we just got a coach who is the absolute best at running it.

Then you look at our bench

Morris/Blake are basically the same type and style of point guard and their job will be to initiate the offense in the same way.

Jodie Meeks is a knockdown three point shooter

Antawn Jamison is a stretch three point shooter

Jordan Hill is your garbage man and rebound guy(very vital for long rebounds and effort)

and either Gasol(awesome pick and roll player when he plays the 5)

or Dwight Howard(best pick and roll big man in the game)

manning the 5 position.

Yet you somehow THINK that D'antoni is gonna have a harder time implementing these players into THAT system? But that Phil just would because no matter how difficult the offense would be "Phil just can"

But D'antoni's offense which I just explained to you can fit with literally everyone in the starting lineup AND our bench and you think it was the wrong pick and that he's the wrong guy for THIS team....

ummmm...in conclusion...

Sorry but it sounds like you got your "nobody can do this but Phil just cause he can" homers on.

Edited by Majesty, November 16, 2012 - 01:21 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 16, 2012 - 03:21 AM

If PJ was never part of the coaching search and Laker management hired MDT then everything would be looking just fine. As it is laker Management opened up the "doubt door"....if MDT does not win it all then Laker management will have failed, you do not hire MDT over PJ.Then say the team is better suited to run MDT system, stupid just plain stupid. This team is just the opposite it is better suited for PJ's system.
Would loved to had heard the MB interview, just to see how he sold himself to Jim Buss, because MDT did a very good job of selling himself during yesterdays press conference.
MDT is a good coach, far better than MB for a veteran team, however we will have to wait and see if the MDT system which has won exactully 0 championships can work with an older slow team.
MDT quit on NY and according to Chris Webber that is not a good thing, he said players will always see the possibility that he will do it again. MDT totally lost that NY team it shows that he can not always find a way to make a bad situation good.
Talk is cheap, hopefully MDT can make his up tempo style work with a slow older team. He is likeable and is a true coach, he leaves no doubt who is in charge......Go MDT you have my support, but in the beginning so did MB, kinda :hysterical:
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#11 Rad

Rad

• 1,635 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 04:06 AM

ummmm...in conclusion...

Sorry but it sounds like you got your "nobody can do this but Phil just cause he can" homers on.

My thoughts exactly.

#12 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted November 16, 2012 - 08:22 AM

I know some of you wish to make Phil Jacksonemi-god, and think you can go home again, but with this personnel a tough magic act,They of course wish to re-sign Howard but know a serious run is whats needed and Magic for all his naysaying started the ball rolling towards MDT, by remeniscing the "Showtime days" basically to make a stark comparision to Browns weaknesses but that was known by Jerry already and was only going to go so far letting the son "drive the family car" this also threw Sloan out. And this team will be fine, mark my words, So get on board this ride whoooooa gere we go!!

#13 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I continue to see this Jim Buss hired D'Antoni stuff.

Some of you need to really check up on the reports that Jerry Buss was the one who hired MD.

As much as you guys want to blame Jim, well you're blaming the wrong guy. Everyone's blind hate for Jim is really providing this board with biased opinion. It's unfortunate but not surprising I guess.

#14 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,610 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 08:50 AM

I continue to see this Jim Buss hired D'Antoni stuff.

Some of you need to really check up on the reports that Jerry Buss was the one who hired MD.

As much as you guys want to blame Jim, well you're blaming the wrong guy. Everyone's blind hate for Jim is really providing this board with biased opinion. It's unfortunate but not surprising I guess.

What's funny is if we win the championship, then they'll start talking about how smart Jerry Buss was to get MDT. :laughing:

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,111 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 16, 2012 - 09:14 AM

So first of all you think we'll be running the entire time

Second of all you disregard D'antoni's ability to adjust the offense to our team despite offense being his thing

Third of all you'd pick Phil because he'd "find a way" to make it work with our lineup and "someway somehow" would make it work where players don't fit...

Fourth of all you think D'antoni can't "find a way" despite being an offensive genius(Kobe's words) and a very good coach, but Phil can just because he's Phil?

Alright first of all, take off your "Phil is my basketball jesus and no one can coach this team but him" glasses for one,

Second of all take off your "all other coaches are incompetent but Phil" glasses.

We have the best pick and roll duo in the entire NBA in Nash and Dwight Howard and we've got a guy as our coach that runs pick and roll; angles better than ANY other in this league.

We also have one of the most deadly pick and roll duo's during the Lakers latest championship run with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol.

That's 4 of our 5 starting lineup guys showing to be vicious and deadly in the pick and roll and we just got a coach who is the absolute best at running it.

Then you look at our bench

Morris/Blake are basically the same type and style of point guard and their job will be to initiate the offense in the same way.

Jodie Meeks is a knockdown three point shooter

Antawn Jamison is a stretch three point shooter

Jordan Hill is your garbage man and rebound guy(very vital for long rebounds and effort)

and either Gasol(awesome pick and roll player when he plays the 5)

or Dwight Howard(best pick and roll big man in the game)

manning the 5 position.

Yet you somehow THINK that D'antoni is gonna have a harder time implementing these players into THAT system? But that Phil just would because no matter how difficult the offense would be "Phil just can"

But D'antoni's offense which I just explained to you can fit with literally everyone in the starting lineup AND our bench and you think it was the wrong pick and that he's the wrong guy for THIS team....

ummmm...in conclusion...

Nothing wrong with preferring a coach with 11 rings over one with 0 rings.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Nothing wrong with preferring a coach with 11 rings over one with 0 rings.

It's not that simple though. While Phil obviously has been far more successful than D'Antoni there's no doubt that Mike is the better fit for this current team.
htCCl0m.png

#17 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:26 AM

i prefer a ferrari over a kia, but ya don't see me complaining about it everyday.

#18 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:29 AM

The real issue here is the front office created a situation where fans are comparing D'Antoni to Phil Jackson when it should be a comparison between D'Antoni and Mike Brown.

#19 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,773 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted November 16, 2012 - 10:35 AM

The real issue here is the front office created a situation where fans are comparing D'Antoni to Phil Jackson when it should be a comparison between D'Antoni and Mike Brown.

EXACTLY! When we got D'Antoni, the first thing I thought was that I'm happy that A) We got rid of Mike Brown. I'm happy. B) Kobe seems to love this guy. I'm happy.

Obviously I wanted Phil, but I think D'Antoni will make it work, and hopefully, help win a ring.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,312 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 16, 2012 - 01:46 PM

Biggest difference with D'antoni and Brown is their coaching styles, Brown analyzes and coaches everything(great for a young team, confusing for a vets team) D'antoni is more free form and free flowing like how Bernie's been coaching the team and considering the player response that will be a huge difference.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users