#41 SoCalSpider

SoCalSpider

Rookie

• 678 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:40 PM

It's an argument to even consider him better than Kareem let alone Kobe

I didn't say better, greatness isn't defined only by stats and records for me - those just get you in the door.

#42 SoCalSpider

SoCalSpider

Rookie

• 678 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:46 PM

You aren't going to make a pointless argument because it's not in your favor, which deems it pointless for the both of us. Magic has nothing over Kobe, aside from passing the ball and rebounding. He's not a better scorer (not even close), not a better defender (not even close), not a better shooter (not even close), doesn't have the Lakers records that Kobe does (which includes the steals record), played in an era where scoring was extremely high and defense was actually rated lower than it was in the Kobe era (which is a FACT, easy to prove), and instead of having just Shaq, or just Gasol and Odom, on his championship teams...he had Kareem, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Green, Nixon, Wilkes, McAdoo...six of those eight being all-stars, Cooper being a former DPOY in 1987.

Please don't bother, dude. Once Kobe got his fifth ring, he shook off Magic by being the better overall player. Magic took a backseat, and up until that night in June 2010, that's all he had on Kobe anyway.

I won't man, we disagree and that's all.

#43 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:50 PM

Magic just likes to hear himself talk. He knows whatever he says will end up being in the news and written about. His desperate attempts for attention has gotten old and his opinion no longer matters to me.

#44 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:55 PM

I agree with Real Deal to me Kobe overtook Magic as the greatest Laker of all time once he got his 5th championship.

Not to mention Kobe has played 17 years with the LA lakers. Magic although I feel for him that his career was cut short by the HIV virus, facts be facts Kobe has been already longer here, done more, achieved more and is not even done yet. I dont know who the overall BEST player is in his prime as their games are so very different and who ranks higher on the all NBA list. But LAKER wise, to me Kobe is #1 Laker right now. Magic a close 2nd then Jerry West and Kareem are interchangeable. (kareem minuses because he wasnt a laker for life while Jerry was laker for life)
Laker fan for life.

#45 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:56 PM

I didn't say better, greatness isn't defined only by stats and records for me - those just get you in the door.

Slashing: Kobe
Mid-range shooting: Kobe
Long-range shooting: Kobe
Finishing at the rim: Kobe
On-ball defense: Kobe
Help defense: Kobe
Clutch: Kobe
Longevity: Kobe
Primacy: Kobe
Drawing fouls: Kobe
Taking care of the ball (less turnovers): Kobe
Footwork: Kobe

Blocks: similar
Fouling: similar
Steals: similar
Post-up: similar (I'd give it to Kobe because he has eight more post moves, but Magic was more efficient)

Rebounds: Magic
Passing: Magic

-------------

Overall offense: Kobe
Overall defense: Kobe
Legacy (rings and accomplishments): Kobe (Magic has more media-voted MVP's,but so does LeBron and Nash)
Overall player: Kobe

Winner, winner...Kobe steak and potato dinner: Kobe

End of discussion, dude. I'm sorry.

#46 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:57 PM

I won't man, we disagree and that's all.

Fair enough.

#47 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:10 PM

i love magic.

but i think its a little too early to say a statement like that, jim got us howard and nash. made our team into a contender back quick. lets see what the future holds, then maybe we can say such stuff.

Posted Image

#48 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:21 PM

Magic, anybody that didn't know that was your opinion is dumb.

Was only obvious after you sold your share of the Lakers.

#49 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:35 PM

Post-up: similar (I'd give it to Kobe because he has eight more post moves, but Magic was more efficient)

-------------

Legacy (rings and accomplishments): Kobe (Magic has more media-voted MVP's,but so does LeBron and Nash)

Kelly Dwyer just so happened to put his two cents about this very subject.

This quote may not surprise you at all RD, its LOL worthy considering who said it.

"So, the semantics are a little off. It doesn't matter. Johnson is no longer a Laker, technically, and though he's not the greatest of NBA analysts over at ABC/ESPN (our mother taught us that if you don't have anything nice to say …), he is still paid to observe and discuss the NBA, and he's more than allowed to say all this and more.

Is it kind of a drag for Mike D'Antoni to have to come to work this week knowing that the greatest Laker of all time isn't exactly enthused about his hiring? Sure. But Mike D'Antoni will also be paid millions to coach Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash."

http://sports.yahoo....24172--nba.html

Edited by MyJohnsonIsMagic, November 14, 2012 - 11:38 PM.

#50 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:40 PM

Kelly Dwyer thinks Pau Gasol was the MVP of the two championship Lakers teams in 2009 and 2010, so a nice chuckle follows when I read his opinions.

#51 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:44 PM

I guess its a good thing my petition didn't work to get him fired, some places just aren't complete w/o their own clown.

#52 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,921 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 11:44 PM

Just like a lot of fans, Magic has an impression of how great Phil used to be but lets keep it real he didn't coach very well in 2010/2011, we had that one amazing 16-1 stretch but seriously you never felt was heart was in it. They had to pay him big to have him come back. Mitch made a trade for a backup C and he still ran Pau out there for 40+ mins a game when Bynum was out. Shannon was shooting 20% from 3 point land and he let him shoot 3s left and right, I could go on and on

We have Pau today, hes not playing like an All star but we're holding on to hope that he will turn back the clock and play like he did in 2008-2010. Phil isn't the same he was then and Pau isn't the same he was then.

The next best choice was MDA...I like Sloan a lot but Im not sure if he can handle the zoo here in LA with all the distractions and what not that goes on here.

MDA increases the value of players in our systesm and it favors Dwight and Kobe a lot...at the end of the day you want a system that makes your best players easy to do their best and MDA's system does that. It is extremely hard to teach the triangle in midseason

Instead of coming up with a defensive scheme to stop Dallas from hitting 3s he was saying this

http://lakers.ocregi...k-misses/54467/

After Game 1, during which the Mavericks hit 9 of 20, Lakers coach Phil Jackson said he was “banking on” Dallas not continuing to shoot 45 percent from beyond the 3-point line. Jackson suggested the Mavericks would eventually come back closer to their regular season average of 36.5 percent.

Edited by MDI, November 14, 2012 - 11:52 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#53 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 12:20 AM

We actually set up Dallas championship that year. We allowed them to get the confidence to run loose I swear lol. Mark Cuban owes us some rings
Laker fan for life.

#54 SoCalSpider

SoCalSpider

Rookie

• 678 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 02:10 AM

-------------

Already said I'm not going to get into a fruitless argument when we obviously disagree. You've taken the opportunity twice to throw a bunch of stat/game [expletive] at me when you know that you can't compare a SG and a PG by numbers and style alone just to prove a point or read your own analysis - greatness isn't about skillset or numbers or even perception to me man...

Kobe as great as he is will never mean to hoops in LA and hoops to the NBA what Magic meant in his time no matter how many titles he wins, not to mention it's taken him 4 extra years just to match titles to Magic and (hopefully more as a Laker fan) to surpass him. Kobe retired at 31 is less dynamic than Magic at 31 even with the extra 3 years that Kobe got going from HS to the NBA.

We disagree, let it lie there instead of the passive aggressive "ok we disagree, fair enough after I've had my say" [expletive] you're spewing right now.

Fundamentally, we disagree and I'll let it lie when you do - just don't think I'm going to kiss your ass like so many of the LN posters do because you own this forum. Let it rest or don't, but don't lie about it.

#55 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 03:00 AM

Already said I'm not going to get into a fruitless argument when we obviously disagree. You've taken the opportunity twice to throw a bunch of stat/game [expletive] at me when you know that you can't compare a SG and a PG by numbers and style alone just to prove a point or read your own analysis - greatness isn't about skillset or numbers or even perception to me man...

Kobe as great as he is will never mean to hoops in LA and hoops to the NBA what Magic meant in his time no matter how many titles he wins, not to mention it's taken him 4 extra years just to match titles to Magic and (hopefully more as a Laker fan) to surpass him. Kobe retired at 31 is less dynamic than Magic at 31 even with the extra 3 years that Kobe got going from HS to the NBA.

We disagree, let it lie there instead of the passive aggressive "ok we disagree, fair enough after I've had my say" [expletive] you're spewing right now.

Fundamentally, we disagree and I'll let it lie when you do - just don't think I'm going to kiss your ass like so many of the LN posters do because you own this forum. Let it rest or don't, but don't lie about it.

LOL, sounds like you have had a small attitude problem as of late, first attacking my moderator for showing you up with ONE WARNING adjustment, and now stepping up to the plate with your tee ball bat.

Greatness isn't about skillset or numbers? Ah, so it's about Magic Johnson taking advantage of a game that was in the gutter in the 70's? Gotcha. Larry Bird must be the second-greatest player to ever play, also...lol. You're one of THOSE people, huh?

Nah, no need to "kiss my ass" like the rest of the members (your claim) that, unlike you, still have the balls to debate me.

For your information, I'm not going to adjust your warning level...I'm going to tell you that I'm about to boot your ass from this message board, for first insulting my moderators...and then, calling out members of this community simply because they think know that you're dead wrong.

So, guess what? You're going to change...don't have to change your opinion (that holds as much water as a sieve), but you will change your attitude immediately.

Mods, ban him permanently (if I'm not around) once you see fit (because I'm sure he'll reply to this...God forbid he lets me get in the last word!). Warn adjustment for community attacks (explanation, so I can have it for later). Thanks.

#56 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 03:30 AM

For the record, if greatness isn't about skillset or numbers...

greatness isn't about skillset or numbers or even perception to me man...

For this to be realistic, Shaq would have to be much smarter than he actually is. He's a big clown man, always has been - it's why he took the tools to be the greatest player who ever lived and turned them into a "good enough on talent alone" hall of fame career (I always wished along with many Laker fans that Kobe's will, desire and work ethic could have been put inside Shaq's body - THAT would have been something to watch for the ages).

I'm curious...what tools were you talking about here?

You did it again...

all he has to do is check out the career of teammate Lamar Odom, the tools and ability to be an all time great but something upstairs missing to bring it out.

Tools and ability?

Here's something I found funny, though...and that everyone needs to read:

I'm not arguing bro, just enlightening. Magic is, was and will continue to be the heart of the Lakers no matter what Kobe does.

Your bias for Magic Johnson.

Kobe WAS great, but even in his prime he wasn't Jordan and always needed an effective big man to win consistently. Kobe isn't who he used to be and it's time he realized it and ran the offense through Bynum, dude was abusing WHOEVER the Mavs threw at him in the post tonight and even got a few shots up off offensive rebounds when his mates weren't passing the ball.

Ah, so it's obvious you don't like Kobe. How many rings did Magic win without Kareem? How did your suggestion go, by the way (running the offense through Bynum)?

I know I'm preaching to the choir here at TLN, but it's pretty sad that people can look at the same thing I am and tell me I didn't see what I saw. Hell, I hated Michael Jordan but it's pretty damn hard to argue with the results he and his teams achieved - why can't these clowns admit that Kobe is the greatest in the game and has been for years 5 rings into it?

What results were achieved by Jordan? Six rings, his scoring averages, etc? Is that greatness?

-----------

So yeah, again, don't bother. Please. I don't want to read your opinions if all you're going to do is say, "MAGIC IS THE BEST BECAUSE I LIKE HIM, AND KOBE WAS TOO YOUNG TO PLAY IN THE 80S AND I LOVED SHOWTIME."

Get out of here, dude.

#57 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,360 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 06:52 AM

Posted Image

#58 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted November 15, 2012 - 06:54 AM

Ouch.
htCCl0m.png

#59 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,124 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted November 15, 2012 - 06:55 AM

Magic helping create chaos in lakerlkand by his stupid comments. smfh just stop reaching & over-reacting before you see all the players healthy with the coach on the floor. judge then not now when this isnt the team that we expected to put on the floor.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#60 The Bagwan

The Bagwan

Rookie

• 33 posts

Posted November 15, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Magic, Magic, Magic, I love you bro, :hug:but this time you got it way wrong, when Phil Jackson was the Lakers coach, the Lakers played uninspired basketball, with the point guard walking the ball up the court giving the Lakers less time to get into their offense :ranting:. Kobe said that he can only remember two defensive sessions under Phil Jackson, :turrible: the players were left to figure out the defense on their own, and sometimes that just didn't work out. Perhaps the Lakers learned enough defense under Mike Brown to add to Dantoni's offense to make a complete team. Phil Jackson's technique of letting the players figure out problems themselves used to PISS me off, that's his JOB! :ranting: And if you remember correctly, the team stoped listening to Phil Jackson after awhile and went their own way, I was happy when he left, we don't need more of the same. Jim Buss almost got us, Chris Paul then he did get Dwight Howard, if it wasn't for that meddling Commissioner, we would have had Dwight Howard and Chris Paul pretty good job Jim Buss :clap2:. And since we couldn't get Chris Paul what did he do he got us Steve Nash got rid of the big lazy, who's already hurt in Philadelphia, good job Jim Buss :clap2:.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users