Photo

Assuming the Lakers trade Pau, what do they get?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: If we trade Gasol, what do we get back? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

If we do move Pau, what must our return bring us? Chime in below.

1. Another quality PF (ie, Josh Smith) (10 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. A new SF (ie, Danny Granger, Rudy Gay type) (10 votes [35.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

3. Stretch 4 + bench depth (ie, Ryan Anderson+Jamal Crawford type) (8 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:32 PM

Vote in the poll. My examples in the poll are just that...examples. Please note that we should assume all options available at this point because the idea of trading Pau is speculative anyway.

#2 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:41 PM

Stretch 4 + bench depth. We need a floor-spacing PF who can hit 3s consistently and especially the bench needs scoring help ASAP. 20ppg is just awful for a contender.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#3 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:45 PM

Stretch 4 + bench depth. We need a floor-spacing PF who can hit 3s consistently and especially the bench needs scoring help ASAP. 20ppg is just awful for a contender.

But think about this scenario. We trade Pau for say, Danny Granger (after he recovers). We move Jamison from bench to starting PF as a stretch 4. Trade or send MWP away from team until amnesty period if he is unwilling to come off bench. I think that solves a lot of issues, but our bench still needs help. Which is why I vote that if we can move Pau for a Granger/Gay contract we will be saving money and should look to sign Delonte West. Having a bench unit of West, Meeks, Ebanks, Hill is OK with me. Especially since we will see a 9 man rotation come playoff time with D'Antoni.

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,384 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:50 PM

But think about this scenario. We trade Pau for say, Danny Granger (after he recovers). We move Jamison from bench to starting PF as a stretch 4. Trade or send MWP away from team until amnesty period if he is unwilling to come off bench. I think that solves a lot of issues, but our bench still needs help. Which is why I vote that if we can move Pau for a Granger/Gay contract we will be saving money and should look to sign Delonte West. Having a bench unit of West, Meeks, Ebanks, Hill is OK with me. Especially since we will see a 9 man rotation come playoff time with D'Antoni.

That's a lot of factors going into one scenario.

#5 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:51 PM

There are like 5 trade Pau threads :laughing:
Posted Image

#6 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,477 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:53 PM

I agree with the stretch 4 option, but who?

#7 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Where is the "Backup PG+Starting SF" option?

And we have Jamison who is stretch 4 anyways, no need to get another.

Edited by JSaber20, November 14, 2012 - 01:15 PM.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#8 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:23 PM

There are like 5 trade Pau threads :laughing:

It's like Christmas for Windu.

#9 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'd be in full support of the quality PF or SF. As per the stretch four/bench depth, it would really depend. I wouldn't do many of those trades suggested here.

#10 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 14, 2012 - 01:30 PM

A legitimate starting SF is most important for this team. MWP is a definite weak link for us because he can't fulfill his job on a nightly basis. If he's going to be getting that many FGA, he needs to start knocking them down with some consistency. We absolutely can't handle 4-14 shooting nights from a guy who is getting the majority of his shots off on wide open looks.

One deal that was mentioned a while back by someone on these boards was David West + Danny Granger for Pau. If Mitch were to somehow swing that kind of deal, it would be excellent for us. Hell, I'd take Danny Granger + some other filler straight up for Pau Gasol. We'd simply shift Jamison to the starting 4 (or Hill, if we wanted better defense/rebounding), start Granger, and maybe bring MWP off the bench as a 6th man.

Nash/Kobe/Granger/Jamison/Howard is a very good lineup with a quicker Nash-centric system under D'Antoni. A healthy Dwight Howard is capable of manning the paint for us, Granger isn't a liability offensively like Artest, and we surround Dwight with capable shooters from 1-4. Granger isn't some elite SF on the level of LeBron or Durant, but he's a borderline All-Star when he's healthy and his shooting ability would be great in stretching the floor for us. The Pacers have been without him to start the season and they've struggled greatly without him available to stretch the floor and chip in his usual 17+ ppg. If he's healthy, I wouldn't mind dealing Pau for a package with Granger as the centerpiece. He's exactly the kind of SF we need in our starting lineup.

I don't know how likely such a trade is, but I'm not going to doubt Mitch. If he sees a good deal on the market and Pau hasn't acclimated to our new system, I could see him pulling the trigger with no hesitation.

#11 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,587 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:01 PM

pretty much this.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,025 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:14 PM

A Combination of

Josh Smith + Anthony Morrow

Josh Smith + Kyle Korver

or

Josh Smith + Deshawn Stevenson which is likely.

Edited by Majesty, November 14, 2012 - 02:15 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#13 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted November 14, 2012 - 02:21 PM

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#14 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:48 PM

I would take any of them. I do prefer the SF option for most of the reasons L.A.K.E.R mentioned. He would give us an athletic wing who can actually make shots, create his own and penetrate. He would also suit a DAntoni style offense and is also a good defender. Also he has 2 years left on his contract like Pau so the cap space for 2014 is still intact and if he doesn't work out he is an expiring next year. Only worry is he is injured obviously, but should be back by the trade deadline. I see Granger alot more of a realistic trade than Gay, but wouldn't mind Gay if it was possible. Also I wouldn't mind a Deng trade as well. All I know is a change is needed to improve this team. Gasol has shown as talented as he is he has become replaceable due to his lackluster performances and inconsistent play. He is definitely not the only one on the team but he still has some trade value, unlike MWP and Blakte.

#15 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,587 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:08 PM

A Combination of

Josh Smith + Anthony Morrow

Josh Smith + Kyle Korver

or

Josh Smith + Deshawn Stevenson which is likely.

So any trade for josh smith will do?

IMO those trades above won't make us better.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#16 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 14, 2012 - 08:09 PM

im not so high on Smith either
Posted Image

#17 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 09:57 PM

I would be in favor of getting a quality, athletic SF. Granger would honestly be great for us. The idea of David West and Granger for Pau sounds too good to be true, but if it is ever possible, that would be a perfect trade. Literally perfect.

#18 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,025 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:23 PM

So any trade for josh smith will do?

IMO those trades above won't make us better.

each gives us an extra scorer off the bench and each gives us Smith at the 4 who will give a better effort than Gasol and is shooting about the same from the outside as Gasol, the other thing is Smith is a better defender and will give more effort and is also more athletic than Gasol. He's not as good of a passer but I don't think we'd have a lineup with him in there to be a designated passer.

Having Morrow, Korver or Stevenson on our bench is an added scorer which would allow us to run a lot with the bench unit which would help us out tremendously to be honest.

We add an additional shooter to our bench which I have no problem with and it helps us a lot.

So we get Smith + a scorer for our bench. That helps us out a lot . Probably would be the best we could hope for unless you think we're getting Love from Minnesota.

So tell me why you think getting Josh Smith + an additional scorer for our bench doesn't help us?

I would be in favor of getting a quality, athletic SF. Granger would honestly be great for us. The idea of David West and Granger for Pau sounds too good to be true, but if it is ever possible, that would be a perfect trade. Literally perfect.

Granger is out for 3 months isn't he? Do we really want to bring him in that late into the season and have to adjust him to the team chemistry while also getting him back in shape?

Edited by Majesty, November 14, 2012 - 10:24 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,126 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:31 PM

i actually wouldn't mind getting a healthy granger. you could slide ron to PF where i believe he'd be less of an issue.

howard
ron
granger
kobe
nash

thats some defense right there. Gay is pipe just because they have randolph, speights, and marc. there isn't a use for pau.
Posted Image

#20 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:45 PM

each gives us an extra scorer off the bench and each gives us Smith at the 4 who will give a better effort than Gasol and is shooting about the same from the outside as Gasol, the other thing is Smith is a better defender and will give more effort and is also more athletic than Gasol. He's not as good of a passer but I don't think we'd have a lineup with him in there to be a designated passer.

Having Morrow, Korver or Stevenson on our bench is an added scorer which would allow us to run a lot with the bench unit which would help us out tremendously to be honest.

We add an additional shooter to our bench which I have no problem with and it helps us a lot.

So we get Smith + a scorer for our bench. That helps us out a lot . Probably would be the best we could hope for unless you think we're getting Love from Minnesota.

So tell me why you think getting Josh Smith + an additional scorer for our bench doesn't help us?

Granger is out for 3 months isn't he? Do we really want to bring him in that late into the season and have to adjust him to the team chemistry while also getting him back in shape?

I don't think of Deshaun Stevenson as a scorer...I think of him more like an older quality wing defender that can make a spot up shot once in a while. But I agree on the other 2.

As for Granger, yes he is out for another 3 months. BUT, if we can get a replacement 4 (like David West) for the time being, I have no problem doing that trade today. An athletic 3 who can shoot and defend is needed moreso than a guy like Josh Smith. But JSmoove does give Howard a good friend to continue on with...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users