117 replies to this topic

#41 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:12 PM

We don't look to him for scoring and he's scoring between 10-17 points and plays hard. Regardless of his shooting percentage that's pretty good.

Like I said, the Lakers problems have always been effort.

The consistent effort we get is from Kobe, Dwight, Hill, Metta.

The effort we WANT but rarely get is Gasol.

problem is Metta isn't looked to for scoring but will score 10-17 on his effort, Pau is looked to be an anchor and can put up 10 points eventhough he has the matchup advantage and he'll barely shoot the ball.

I have a bigger problem with THAT than I do with Metta.

I believe he's trying hard. But, his offense and sometimes defense are just terrible these days, whatever percentage of effort he's trying to put in.

I want results. I don't care how hard he's trying. Kobe always tries hard too, but I'd grill him just the same when he struggles.

Posted Image

#42 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:17 PM

You can throw some blame at Mike Brown for Ron's shooting habits. The moment Brown arrived he made it clear he wanted Ron to shoot the ball.

#43 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,831 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:22 PM

Idk how anyone can look at his shooting percentages and still defend him???

38% from the field is PATHETIC and he doesn't deserve 35 minutes a game

Of course he doesn't deserve 35 mins per game, but who else should have played?

Ebanks is in the doghouse because of his DUI and Jamison is a lot worse than Metta at the 3.

#44 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,211 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:26 PM

IT DOESNT MATTER

Metta is terrible shooting wise, if you can't give effort on shooting then that's too bad. I can't believe youre defending him

That's because Metta will shoot good some games and bad in others but always gives it his all on both ends and will give us 10-17 when he isn't expected to score that often. He also gives us good defense and hits big shots.. He's precisely what he's supposed to be and I expect his shooting percentage to be closer to round 42% by the end of the season. He's also playing much better than last year on both ends.

He also shot a pretty high percentage last game, some days he's on and some days he's off but he'll always give us effort and buckets ESPECIALLY when we need it. So I don't have problems with that.

Like I said, I don't like when he misses a three but what irks me more is watching someone with all the talent in the world and not giving as much effort. Ron gives effort every night and never stops trying. If Metta shoots 3/4 in the first half he'll continue to be aggressive and keep scoring in the 2nd half and he IS NOT looked to for scoring but he tries to take advantage of his opportunities.

Someone like Gasol does not sadly and that is my only problem with him. Gasol plays the post and is shooting 41% and not being aggressive.

Let's not forget how people praise Pau Gasol if he goes 6/18(I will too) because HE IS BEING AGGRESSIVE and taking advantage of his opportunities.

So I'm not going to bash Metta's shooting % because he keeps showing effort and trying to take advantage of their opportunities. This is what we want out of every one on this team.

Most of what we want from our team is for them to take advantage of their opportunities and stay aggressive. This is something that we ask of our team and for the most part they do. The only problem with this equation seems to be Pau Gasol.

Artest is a career 41% shooter so I'm not surprised by him shooting 38% and going for 10-17 and a career 34% shooter from 3 point land so his percentages aren't a surprise so why are you trying to hold them against him.

Meanwhile Pau Gasol is a career 51% shooter and is shooting 41% thus far and a LOT of it has to do with his effort

Tell me who you should be more disappointed in.

Exactly.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#45 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:36 PM

That's because Metta will shoot good some games and bad in others but always gives it his all on both ends and will give us 10-17 when he isn't expected to score that often. He also gives us good defense and hits big shots.. He's precisely what he's supposed to be and I expect his shooting percentage to be closer to round 42% by the end of the season. He's also playing much better than last year on both ends.

He also shot a pretty high percentage last game, some days he's on and some days he's off but he'll always give us effort and buckets ESPECIALLY when we need it. So I don't have problems with that.

Like I said, I don't like when he misses a three but what irks me more is watching someone with all the talent in the world and not giving as much effort. Ron gives effort every night and never stops trying. If Metta shoots 3/4 in the first half he'll continue to be aggressive and keep scoring in the 2nd half and he IS NOT looked to for scoring but he tries to take advantage of his opportunities.

Someone like Gasol does not sadly and that is my only problem with him. Gasol plays the post and is shooting 41% and not being aggressive.

Let's not forget how people praise Pau Gasol if he goes 6/18(I will too) because HE IS BEING AGGRESSIVE and taking advantage of his opportunities.

So I'm not going to bash Metta's shooting % because he keeps showing effort and trying to take advantage of their opportunities. This is what we want out of every one on this team.

Most of what we want from our team is for them to take advantage of their opportunities and stay aggressive. This is something that we ask of our team and for the most part they do. The only problem with this equation seems to be Pau Gasol.

Artest is a career 41% shooter so I'm not surprised by him shooting 38% and going for 10-17 and a career 34% shooter from 3 point land so his percentages aren't a surprise so why are you trying to hold them against him.

Meanwhile Pau Gasol is a career 51% shooter and is shooting 41% thus far and a LOT of it has to do with his effort

Tell me who you should be more disappointed in.

Exactly.

I'm disappointed in both actually. I agree Metta gives effort on both ends, but I'm just saying that offensively especially shooting wise he has been horrendous. He needs to take better shot selections and pray if it's a make or miss.

#46 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:38 PM

He has mostly bad shooting nights. That's why he's had 39% FG the last 2 seasons. He scores 10-17 points because he jacks up shots inefficiently. His defense has been terrible in at least a few games already. Batum and Caron Butler torched him.

I honestly don't see any difference between him this season and the last few seasons. If this is him healthy, I expect him to decline for the 6th straight season.

Posted Image

#47 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,233 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:42 PM

Ron artest is here for defense

Period

Let us see how he plays against lebron, durrant, and the other top wings
That is what he is here for

#48 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,211 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:42 PM

I'm disappointed in both actually. I agree Metta gives effort on both ends, but I'm just saying that offensively especially shooting wise he has been horrendous. He needs to take better shot selections and pray if it's a make or miss.

metta is a career 41% shooter and he's shooting 38% so far so he's pretty much going to land on point to his career standard. Gasol is 10% beneath his and doesn't give half as much effort so Ron is giving us pretty much what he's given his entire career and is giving us 10-17 a night which is great!!!! Plus defensively he's having his best year since 2008 THUS FAR, which I'm sure no one is paying attention to.

Pau on the other hand has been the worst letdown thus far imo.

While Artest has given us thus far his most PPG since he became a Laker so this is shaping up to be Artest BEST season as a member of the Lakers and that is GREAT NEWS!!!!

This is looking thus far like it will be Pau's worst as a Laker...

That's not good.

Edited by Majesty, November 13, 2012 - 11:43 PM.

#49 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:43 PM

Ron is a net negative on the floor at this point. His offense is straight trash, almost a complete liability on that end, and his defense is nowhere near as good as it was when he first got here. He can still be a good defender if he plays the angles correctly, but he thinks he's still the DPOY or something. I can't count the number of stupid isolations he's forced himself into only to get blown by or picked off on a simple screen. He has no shot at defending either LeBron or Durant at this point in his career. Their recent performances against him (after having both improved their all-around games) has made that abundantly clear.

Also, he seems completely oblivious to all this.

I like confidence in players, but not to the point where they're delusional about their own abilities.

#50 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:55 PM

Ron is a net negative on the floor at this point. His offense is straight trash, almost a complete liability on that end, and his defense is nowhere near as good as it was when he first got here. He can still be a good defender if he plays the angles correctly, but he thinks he's still the DPOY or something. I can't count the number of stupid isolations he's forced himself into only to get blown by or picked off on a simple screen. He has no shot at defending either LeBron or Durant at this point in his career. Their recent performances against him (after having both improved their all-around games) has made that abundantly clear.

Also, he seems completely oblivious to all this.

I like confidence in players, but not to the point where they're delusional about their own abilities.

I think the number of players he can't defend is increasing. I don't think it's just Lebron and Durant he just can't defend anymore.

Posted Image

#51 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Ever since I herd he started taking medication a few years ago he hasn't been the same player...it probably has nothing to do with that but who knows?

his defender always doubles off Artest and this gives Kobe or Howard way less room to operate

If Ron was hitting around 40% of his 3's the whole team would be sooo much harder to guard

I wouldn't mind his horrible shooting % as much if he didn't shoot the ball every time he touches it....there's been games where he takes more shots than Dwight...he needs to calm down and shoot less or I hope we get rid of him

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,211 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Apparrently

metta is a career 41% shooter and he's shooting 38% so far so he's pretty much going to land on point to his career standard. Gasol is 10% beneath his and doesn't give half as much effort so Ron is giving us pretty much what he's given his entire career and is giving us 10-17 a night which is great!!!! Plus defensively he's having his best year since 2008 THUS FAR, which I'm sure no one is paying attention to.

Pau on the other hand has been the worst letdown thus far imo.

While Artest has given us thus far his most PPG since he became a Laker so this is shaping up to be Artest BEST season as a member of the Lakers and that is GREAT NEWS!!!!

This is looking thus far like it will be Pau's worst as a Laker...

That's not good.

Whistle whistle

#53 NasWutangKB24

NasWutangKB24

KUSH

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:00 AM

He was always one of my favorite players for the last 7-ish years so I really want him to turn it around I'm just so sick of how many times he'll keep shooting when he's having an off game

The year before he was a Laker he shot 39% from 3 as a Rocket
I don't get what's happened???

#54 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,211 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:07 AM

He was always one of my favorite players for the last 7-ish years so I really want him to turn it around I'm just so sick of how many times he'll keep shooting when he's having an off game

The year before he was a Laker he shot 39% from 3 as a Rocket
I don't get what's happened???

His percentage isn't THAT far off from when he was a rocket, it's down to a simple missed shot or a percentage of a decimal

As a Rocket his 3 points were these numbers

2.2 made out of 5.6 for 39%-40% if rounded

As a Laker this year it's

1.9 out of 5.7

It's a freaking decimal of difference and less than one more made three point shot per game.

But his shooting percentage from the field as a Rocket was 40% from the field and this year thus far its 38% so it's not THAT far off. His defensive numbers are actually similar so far AND he's averaging more steals this year so far than he did back then.

So why are you ignoring all that?

He's actually on pace to have his BEST year since he was a Rocket and as a Laker in general. So yeah.... that shouldn't be disregarded. He ain't the guy that isn't showing up :)

Edited by Majesty, November 14, 2012 - 12:08 AM.

#55 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:08 AM

Defensively? I have no clue what you're watching. He's done nothing spectacular to this point. Offensively his number are skewed due to two really good shooting nights against two very bad defensive teams in Detroit and Sacramento. He scored 18 in both games, made a total of 13/22 FGA (59%). The rest of the games minus tonight?

A miserable 14/49 or 28% shooting from the field, and 6/26 for 23% shooting from beyond the arc.

He is terrible offensively. Watching the game should make it that much more obvious. He is a complete liability on the offensive end and his defensive play doesn't make up for it anymore.

#56 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,211 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:10 AM

Defensively? I have no clue what you're watching. He's done nothing spectacular to this point. Offensively his number are skewed due to two really good shooting nights against two very bad defensive teams in Detroit and Sacramento. He scored 18 in both games, made a total of 13/22 FGA (59%). The rest of the games minus tonight? A miserable 14/49 or 28% shooting from the field, and 6/26 for 23% shooting from beyond the arc.

He is terrible offensively. Watching the game should make it that much more obvious. He is a complete liability on the offensive end and his defensive play doesn't make up for it anymore.

Good games and bad games are a part of the general. So to disqualify all the good games and say "if he didn't have good games he'd have done this" as a whole, his numbers are pretty close to his career statistics. We can't just say "if he didn't have good games." because he has.

Edited by Majesty, November 14, 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#57 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:12 AM

Metta's defense is better? I still see him get torched by quicker players, not getting out on shooters, and not recovering fast enough on screens.

He definitely got torched by Batum already this season, the only really good SF he's faced against so far.

Posted Image

#58 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,021 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:13 AM

Well Majesty, even though you have a point about effort, that doesn't mean you jack up shots when you are a 5th option. YOu dont pass the ball in a fastbreak and miss , fadeway shots and failed. id rather see him taking 4 to 6 shots a game. You don't prove your offense abilities when you miss wide open shot when its needed the most and as a 5th option, considering his bad shot-selection

am tellin ya , i was excited about ron more than an alley-oop to howard, especially with his statements in the offseason.. but this is stupid. someone got to KEEP TELLING HIM "KNOW YOUR ROLE!!"

#59 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, he's had two good games against our two easiest opponents to date. That's what is skewing his shooting numbers. You can't ignore that and keep talking about how he's having such a great season when he clearly isn't. Counting tonight's 4-14 performance, he's had a total of 5 games where he's shot 30% or lower from the field. His percentage from three is even lower than that. That is terrible play, two good showings against the doormats of the league doesn't change that. They skew his seasonal numbers completely.

It really doesn't help us much if he shoots 60% scoring 16+ a game against doormats only to turn in a line of 4-14 from the field against legitimate competition.

#60 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 12:16 AM

He should transition to being an undersized power forward. He cant play SF anymore too slow for it

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users