• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:51 PM

Phil Jackson is not about hypothetical situations, so for him to go back and wonder what if he had decided immediately Saturday that he wanted to coach the Lakers again is not his style.

Yet it is painful for Lakers fans who longed for Jackson’s return to know now that the odds were that Jackson would indeed be back in place if he had told Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and executive vice president Jim Buss right away in his initial interview with them Saturday that he definitely wanted the job.

After my column detailing the events and miscommunication that led to Jackson being turned down and Mike D’Antoni hired as the new Lakers coach, Kupchak spoke to a small group of reporters Tuesday afternoon about how it all went down.

“When we decided to make the change (from Mike Brown) and we talked about a couple of possibilities, Phil — although he was mentioned — was not lumped in as one of the possibilities that we thought would be a reality,” Kupchak said. “He had retired on his own a year and a half ago, and he told me two months ago that he never wanted to coach again, he was done coaching, but he wanted to stay involved in basketball in some capacity.

“And when we made the change, we discussed in advance, ‘Listen, guys, although we don’t think he wants to be a part of it and we’re not looking to go in that direction, there’s going to be a firestorm of support (for Jackson). And of course, on Friday, that started. And by Friday night, I was talking with ownership about ‘We’ve got something on our hands right now that we’ve got to talk about and consider and look into. So the decision was made Saturday morning to meet with Phil and to see exactly his take on it, what his condition was, his mental approach, his physical approach, and that’s what we did.

“I would say up until that point, it remained percentage-wise more of a possibility that we would ask him if he said yes to coach, although it never got there Saturday morning. The groundswell of support … there was a lot of pressure — there was a lot of pressure — to seriously consider bringing Phil back or asking him to consider to come back.”

I asked Kupchak that if Jackson hadn’t asked for two days to ponder and instead had said he did want to coach the Lakers again, would it have changed the entire course that shifted back to D’Antoni.
“It’s hard to say,” Kupchak said. “But we would’ve gone back immediately and huddled up with Dr. (Jerry) Buss and decided what we were going to do that day.”

The Lakers, even then, had to make a decision not to settle for Jackson and await his decision.

“We sorted through the P.R. backlash and decided ultimately that we could withstand it,” Kupchak said. “We thought about the way we wanted to play and the personnel and became more and more convinced that we were doing the right thing.”

Asked about the feeling that the Lakers were essentially saying no to Jackson (though he had not said he would take the job), Kupchak said: “Yeah, we had to come to grips with that. Absolutely. Late Saturday and all day Sunday, that was something that we had to come to grips with, especially after watching all the coverage on TV that it’s his job to lose and the perception is that it’s a fait accompli.”
About the miscommunication with Jackson about whether he had two days to consider the job with the belief that another hire wouldn’t be made in the meantime, Kupchak said:

“Much has been made of the perceived agreement to wait until Monday. The actual way it took place after the basketball discussion was kind of, ‘Where are we now?’ And Phil said he needs some more time. I asked him, ‘How much more time?’ And he said, ‘I will get back to you on Monday.’ ”

“At that point, I said, ‘Phil, I have a job to do and I’m going to have to continue my search and interview candidates,’ and he nodded that he understood.”

Kupchak added: “Our feeling was there was no agreement to wait for your response on Monday. He told us that’s when he would get back to us. Now, I could see where he might interpret that as ‘You guys will wait for me,’ but I thought when I said I had to go on and interview other candidates, it was clear that we had a job to do.”

After the Lakers decided to go with D’Antoni around 5:30 p.m. Sunday, they finalized the deal via fax with him in the New York area and then Kupchak decided it would be better to notify Jackson at midnight than wait until Monday, when he might be coming to the Lakers to say he did indeed want the job.

Kupchak also acknowledged that there were no tremendous demands about missing road trips or salary discussions with Jackson, even though reports indicated Jackson had outlandish requests.

http://lakers.ocregi...anted-it/74679/

#2 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,504 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 04:56 PM

Good read.

I hope D'Antoni does well as the new Lakers head coach :rock:

MMiRi9s.png

#3 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 778 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:23 PM

There we have it. Media these days most of the time if not always, sensationalize a situation to get attention and site hits. Good read. Thanks.

#4 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2012 - 05:24 PM

Kupchak also acknowledged that there were no tremendous demands about missing road trips or salary discussions with Jackson, even though reports indicated Jackson had outlandish requests.

C'mon media... can't you at least respect one of the all time greatest coaches to teach and run the game?

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#5 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,122 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:03 PM

Great read, I hope we all have a better understanding on what went down

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thanks for this.

But I still don't understand why Mitch and Co. couldn't wait til Monday.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,122 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:12 PM

They felt that the triangle wouldn't fit with this personal, I'm guessing the main reason is Nash, that was my concern as well

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:14 PM

I doubt that's the case. Why waste each other's time if they believed that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,712 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:14 PM

I can understand why they went with Mike. Phil seemed like he thought it was his job to turn down and Mitch didn't have time to deal with that. Thing is if Mike works out then we have many years of him. Phil would have been here a max of 2 years. Hell he may have left after 1 for all we know, especially if we had won a ring. The whole brian shaw ting seemed really unlikely also. He didn't seem to have good terms with the lakers and idk why the pacers would even allow him to leave if it wasn't for a head coaching job.

#10 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for this.

Because they never said they would wait till Monday.

Like Mitch said, had Phil said yes he wanted the job opposed to saying "let me think about it for a couple of days" then that would have changed the situation.

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,712 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for this.

I dont think he was there 1st choice ever really. My guess the short term of him being here was a huge factor also.

#12 ColStac

ColStac

Bleed Purple and Gold

• 483 posts
  • Name:Colmon
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hearing Kupchak acknowledge that there were no outlandish requests by Phil sorta makes the D'Antoni hiring sting a bit more. They didn't even give Phil a chance to respond. Would it have killed us to wait a few more hours? I just don't understand why the entire thing was so rushed? It's almost as if one of them either Jim, Mitch or Jerry, was upset that they made the trip to Phil's home, showed him their hands and that they were somewhat desperate, only to have him brush them off until Monday. I don't look at it as a brush off, only Phil needing time to gather his thoughts, and not even that much time mind you. However, maybe it was the way he said it, or his demeanor during that meeting? I don't know. It's all speculation at this point, however, I don't think it would've killed us to at least wait until Monday to see what he had to say. It's always better to make these types of decisions once you've gathered as much information as possible.
The game changes, the players turnover, but the Mamba remains a constant!

#13 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,122 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I doubt that's the case. Why waste each other's time if they believed that.

Maybe Mitch thought that Phil had other ways to use Nash

It is what it is, we can't change it

#14 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Maybe Mitch thought that Phil had other ways to use Nash

It is what it is, we can't change it

mitch said " obviously i wasnt convinced on how Nash would be utilized (under phil)"

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#15 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,122 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:27 PM

mitch said " obviously i wasnt convinced on how Nash would be utilized (under phil)"

Proof is in the pudding

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:27 PM

Because they never said they would wait till Monday.

Like Mitch said, had Phil said yes he wanted the job opposed to saying "let me think about it for a couple of days" then that would have changed the situation.

I get that but I keep looking at this part:

"Much has been made of the perceived agreement to wait until Monday," Kupchak said. "The actual way it took place after the basketball discussion was kind of, 'Where are we now?' And Phil said he needs some more time and I asked him, 'How much more time?' And he said, 'I will get back to you on Monday.' "

Jackson told Kupchak he would call him.

"At that point, I said, 'Phil, I have a job to do and I'm going to have to continue my search and interview candidates,' and he nodded that he understood," Kupchak said.

Monday. That's all the front office had to do...wait until Monday to hear PJ's decision. What's the rush? Monday was right around the corner.

I just think that (regardless of if they had waited on PJ) Buss wanted a different style of basketball. It doesn't matter that PJ and the triangle are proven, Buss wanted a different brand of basketball in LA.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,075 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:30 PM

“Much has been made of the perceived agreement to wait until Monday. The actual way it took place after the basketball discussion was kind of, ‘Where are we now?’ And Phil said he needs some more time. I asked him, ‘How much more time?’ And he said, ‘I will get back to you on Monday.’ ”

“At that point, I said, ‘Phil, I have a job to do and I’m going to have to continue my search and interview candidates,’ and he nodded that he understood.”

The single most important quote.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:31 PM

Yes, but the more important part of that article is:

D'Antoni also stressed how he would utilize Dwight Howard, which was of the utmost importance to the Lakers.

I think DH would have been very good in the triangle though.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,122 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:35 PM

I get that but I keep looking at this part:

Monday. That's all the front office had to do...wait until Monday to hear PJ's decision. What's the rush? Monday was right around the corner.

I just think that (regardless of if they had waited on PJ) Buss wanted a different style of basketball. It doesn't matter that PJ and the triangle are proven, Buss wanted a different brand of basketball in LA.

That bold part you bold. Mitch told him he was interviewing other coaches. and Phil nodded to that

So with that being said, Mitch and the Buss family obviously thought D'Antoni was a better fit

#20 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted November 13, 2012 - 06:39 PM

People around the league know what kind of coach Mike is...what kind of offense he likes to run. I'm sure Mitch/Buss had already envisioned what the offense would look like with Mike. That leads me to believe that Mike was numero uno on their list from the start.

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users