Steven A. Smith Shocked by the hiring of Mike D' Antoni

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,159 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:52 PM

I was looking up the numbers lat night and I dont know where you got these from. He was always near last in the league of opposing PPG which is pretty much the biggest determinate of how good your defense is.

I still think though our defense will be fine. Its not like MB was doing anything for our defense. Also theres not much you can do for defense but promote good switching and effort. That is pretty much defense. Cover your man, know who to switch to , and provide effort. Offense is much more in detail.We may not be #1 in the league at D but we will be up there.

No, opposing PPG alone doesn't show anything. There is a pace factor behind it which directly affects all PPG. In any case, those PHX teams were quite good other than you know rebounding like GMCD mentioned. But it's our one of main weapons. Just to put it into perspective...

06/07 PHX team led the NBA in FG%, 3p%, FT%, PPG, ORtg, 3rd in Defensive Rebounds, 30th in Offensive Rebounds

They were 13th in DRtg, 14th in Opp FG%, 28rd in Opp Offensive Rebounds, 22th in Opp Defensive Rebounds

So far how does our team look like ?

7th in FG% , 18th in 3p%, 26th in FT%, 10th in PPG, 6th in ORtg, 6th in Defensive Rebounds, 2nd in Offensive Rebounds

18th in DRtg, 10th in Opp FG%, 18th in Opp Offensive Rebounds, 11th in Opp Defensive Rebounds,

#22 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,765 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:05 PM

Kobe will shut your mouth SAS

33bkfif.jpg

#23 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,439 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:06 PM

No, opposing PPG alone doesn't show anything. There is a pace factor behind it which directly affects all PPG. In any case, those PHX teams were quite good other than you know rebounding like GMCD mentioned. But it's our one of main weapons. Just to put it into perspective...

06/07 PHX team led the NBA in FG%, 3p%, FT%, PPG, ORtg, 3rd in Defensive Rebounds, 30th in Offensive Rebounds

They were 13th in DRtg, 14th in Opp FG%, 28rd in Opp Offensive Rebounds, 22th in Opp Defensive Rebounds

So far how does our team look like ?

7th in FG% , 18th in 3p%, 26th in FT%, 10th in PPG, 6th in ORtg, 6th in Defensive Rebounds, 2nd in Offensive Rebounds

18th in DRtg, 10th in Opp FG%, 18th in Opp Offensive Rebounds, 11th in Opp Defensive Rebounds,

Well Like I said I think our defense will be fine but I dont agree with your take on Opposing PPG. That is pretty much the biggest factor. If you are giving up 100+ on defense which pretty much all of his team did then your defense isnt great. But again he had no defensive players really ever and we have a ton. Were fine.

#24 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,751 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 02:51 PM

think about it...we do have few real defensive minded players that d'antoni didn't have in phoenix or NY

and what are these rankings SAS was talking about based on exactly? ppg against, or differential, opp fg% or what?

if its strictly ppg against, can't really say the defense was that bad with his 7 second offense or whatever it was. that obviously leads to more attempts for the other team, which would lead to more points on average.

also, any of you who were on message boards between the 02 and the 09 championships when phil was around...most everyone (including some of our players at the time) lamented the fact that phil focused too much on his triangle offense, and not on defense....

i have a feeling we'll do just fine on both ends of the court.

Posted Image

#25 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,958 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:12 PM

Metta World Peace said it best when it came to defense.

Mike(D'antoni) has never had a defensive player like myself, or Dwight on his team. So it's not a big deal there.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#26 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,810 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 12, 2012 - 03:13 PM

Well Like I said I think our defense will be fine but I dont agree with your take on Opposing PPG. That is pretty much the biggest factor. If you are giving up 100+ on defense which pretty much all of his team did then your defense isnt great. But again he had no defensive players really ever and we have a ton. Were fine.

Giving up 100+ wasn't solely an indication of poor defense. It was also a side-effect of the pace. When you take quicker shots, you create more possessions per 48 minutes...not just for yourself, for the opposition also.

I'm not defending D'Antoni's defense. It was pretty horrible. I want everyone to know what they are talking about so we can stop perpetuating "myths". Let's start with a blank slate. If he doesn't do a good job, LA will chew him up and spit him. Until then, let's just go with it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users