16 replies to this topic

#1 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 09:58 AM

Most of the reports coming out about how shocked the media is about the D'Antoni hire is because they are covering their own asses. They all were publicly on record saying THEIR sources were claiming the deal would be done. Kevin Ding was right all along, it was an equal race. And it has nothing to do with Jim Buss. Jerry was involved.

Broussard reported that the demands of Phil were not why they decided against him. In fact Jerry and Mitch had the most say. They wanted to move away from the triangle (many would argue is even antiquated in today's game), and bring in a system that allowed Nash to be the controller. I can't say I blame them.

Would I have favored PJ out of the box? Absolutely. Would PJ have been the right fit for this team? Not sure. I for one do think his triangle could and would have allowed for PnR sets with Nash, but that still does not make Nash main factor in offense...which he should be. Plus lets not forget how complacent the Lakers team were under PJ in 2010...

In the end, I think the only way I can sum up my feelings are this:

Right now I am disappointed, but by every minute of rational thinking, I slowly grow more optimistic. Hopefully in the next month or so we see signs of what life will be like when in the hands of Pringles.

#2 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:01 AM

You're a rookie here? Wow.

Keep posting guy, I like what you just said.

#3 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,306 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Good post.

Right now I am disappointed, but by every minute of rational thinking, I slowly grow more optimistic. Hopefully in the next month or so we see signs of what life will be like when in the hands of Pringles.

I feel the same way.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Message From Pac

#4 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yeah as much as Phil was an obvious 1st choice there are many factors involved that have been mentioned in this forum why they went with DAntoni. The fact is they have chosen him and he is our new Lakers head coach. Even though I might not entirely agree with the choice I understand the reasons why and will support this team like always.

Edited by jax24, November 12, 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#5 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 10:54 AM

I feel like a lot of members here are really underestimating what our offense will look like under D'Antoni. We will not be running 7 seconds or less with an aging Nash and Kobe. D'Antoni knows that. He knows how to get efficient production from our bench as well, something people are overlooking. And remember, our roster will drastically change in the coming years. So if D'Antoni remains with us, and we have say...Kyrie, Love, or even Lebron, the potency of his offense will be incredible.

#6 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted November 12, 2012 - 11:42 AM

Good post. Keep up it up. This site has been lacking quality posters for quite some time now.

Posted Image

#7 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:02 PM

Good point my ass, lets be real we don't have the 06-07 Nash we have a 39 yr old Nash who is injured atm and is someone that we have to keep the mins low on 28-32 ish and this is a 48 min game do you really expect us to shine when Nash is not playing because either he is injured or when the bench comes in cuz I dont think Blake or Morris will keep that offense going they are not true point guards that can handle the ball for this type of offense sure it will look good when Nash is out there but what about in that 2nd quarter when Nash sits and Morris comes in what then... keep in mind Nash had throughout his career (post Dallas) a good backup PG i.e. Dragic and Barbosa, nor Blake nor Morris are comparable.

Posted Image

#8 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:10 PM

Good point my ass, lets be real we don't have the 06-07 Nash we have a 39 yr old Nash who is injured atm and is someone that we have to keep the mins low on 28-32 ish and this is a 48 min game do you really expect us to shine when Nash is not playing because either he is injured or when the bench comes in cuz I dont think Blake or Morris will keep that offense going they are not true point guards that can handle the ball for this type of offense sure it will look good when Nash is out there but what about in that 2nd quarter when Nash sits and Morris comes in what then... keep in mind Nash had throughout his career (post Dallas) a good backup PG i.e. Dragic and Barbosa, nor Blake nor Morris are comparable.

A couple things.. use some punctuation if you are going to post a wall of text. That entire post was hard to read and borderline incoherent.

Now what I did get from your post was that you are concerned about the age of Nash and the quality of backups. We all know (or should know) that the offense is not going to be 7 seconds or less. It is going to be a fast paced half court offense which is predicated on shooting open looks or quickly passing. That can be done with a 40 year old Nash. Don't be so disrespectful. Also, Duhon is actually a decent backup under this system because he has experience with it, so don't count him out.

Going forward if you are going to post absurdities, at least do it in a grammatically acceptable fashion to lessen the eye strain on the rest of us...

Edited by Calisupra2nr, November 12, 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#9 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:29 PM

A couple things.. use some punctuation if you are going to post a wall of text. That entire post was hard to read and borderline incoherent.

Now what I did get from your post was that you are concerned about the age of Nash and the quality of backups. We all know (or should know) that the offense is not going to be 7 seconds or less. It is going to be a fast paced half court offense which is predicated on shooting open looks or quickly passing. That can be done with a 40 year old Nash. Don't be so disrespectful. Also, Duhon is actually a decent backup under this system because he has experience with it, so don't count him out.

Going forward if you are going to post absurdities, at least do it in a grammatically acceptable fashion to lessen the eye strain on the rest of us...

Oh I'm sorry my punctuation/grammar hurts your eyes, my first language is not English so how about next time you see my name you just ignore it and read someone else's post so you don't pass out reading my errors.

So how do you know what type of offense D'Antoni is going to run? D'Antoni has been running the same offense all of his entire career.

D'Antoni's definition of defense is more offense his philosophy is simple, if the opposing team scores 110 D'Antoni's team will score 112.

I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THIS SIR I REALLY TRIED TO BETTER MY GRAMMAR JUST FOR YOU!

Posted Image

#10 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,520 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:37 PM

Why do you have to completely blow off his opinions and beliefs???..
No one knows for sure how exactly Mike will run the offense and obviously Steve Nash has aged and won't be the same player as he was.
But then again don't forget the fact that he had Barbosa, Bell, Marion, and Amare. Now he has Kobe, Gasol, Dwight, and MWP.
We'll just have to wait and see what happens, all I know is i'm just glad Mike Brown is gone and this offense could be very exciting.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#11 Vipe3773

Vipe3773

Laker Addict

• 1,601 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#24

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:39 PM

Most of the reports coming out about how shocked the media is about the D'Antoni hire is because they are covering their own asses. They all were publicly on record saying THEIR sources were claiming the deal would be done. Kevin Ding was right all along, it was an equal race. And it has nothing to do with Jim Buss. Jerry was involved.

Broussard reported that the demands of Phil were not why they decided against him. In fact Jerry and Mitch had the most say. They wanted to move away from the triangle (many would argue is even antiquated in today's game), and bring in a system that allowed Nash to be the controller. I can't say I blame them.

Would I have favored PJ out of the box? Absolutely. Would PJ have been the right fit for this team? Not sure. I for one do think his triangle could and would have allowed for PnR sets with Nash, but that still does not make Nash main factor in offense...which he should be. Plus lets not forget how complacent the Lakers team were under PJ in 2010...

In the end, I think the only way I can sum up my feelings are this:

I agree with you. Good post man.
Posted Image

#12 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:46 PM

Oh I'm sorry my punctuation/grammar hurts your eyes, my first language is not English so how about next time you see my name you just ignore it and read someone else's post so you don't pass out reading my errors.

So how do you know what type of offense D'Antoni is going to run? D'Antoni has been running the same offense all of his entire career.

D'Antoni's definition of defense is more offense his philosophy is simple, if the opposing team scores 110 D'Antoni's team will score 112.

I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THIS SIR I REALLY TRIED TO BETTER MY GRAMMAR JUST FOR YOU!

Don't be such a smartass, I was just giving you a headsup since you decided to bust my balls for speaking my mind.

As for the offense, you act like D'Antoni is an idiot who will not make adjustments to his personnel. The only question mark about our offense is Pau - who may be traded anyway. The offense will include running the ball up the court and starting a PnR and seeing what comes from the high post. It should be open shots and a lot of ball movement around the wing. That is absolutely fine for Nash who has kept himself in great shape. Once he recovers from this freak accident he will have time to silence the critics.

#13 MysticBlu~

MysticBlu~

Rookie

• 948 posts
  • Name:Jennie
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 12, 2012 - 12:52 PM

Great Post!

#14 JSaber20

JSaber20

Rookie

• 727 posts
  • Name:Jaime
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Big Game James Worthy

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:39 PM

Kurt Rambis on ESPN

The reports that Jackson had part ownership, travel and other "unusual" demands among others is categorically and absolutely false. Phil had decided he wanted the job and his agent was flying to Los Angeles today to work out the details. The Jackson camp is dumbfounded by what's transpired.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#15 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:41 PM

Don't be such a smartass, I was just giving you a headsup since you decided to bust my balls for speaking my mind.

As for the offense, you act like D'Antoni is an idiot who will not make adjustments to his personnel. The only question mark about our offense is Pau - who may be traded anyway. The offense will include running the ball up the court and starting a PnR and seeing what comes from the high post. It should be open shots and a lot of ball movement around the wing. That is absolutely fine for Nash who has kept himself in great shape. Once he recovers from this freak accident he will have time to silence the critics.

All right look I wish I was wrong I hope I'm wrong I really do I only wish for the team's success. However this fast paced offense I do not believe its suited for our team. D'Antoni can make adjustments here and there but the fact remains he runs a FAST paced offense, I mean what is he going to do go from a 7 second offense to a 10 second offense? Gasol on the other hand I do think he should be traded away but that's another discussion. Pau can still be valuable in some ways to shoot those mid-range shots. I know Nash will thrive in this offense there's no way he will fail this is his bread and butter, all I can really say its time will tell.

Posted Image

#16 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted November 12, 2012 - 01:42 PM

I was surprised by the decision/kinda upset. but no big deal, i trust our FO. they know whats best for the team.

Posted Image

#17 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,374 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted November 12, 2012 - 05:03 PM

None of this crap matters if we don't get some pure shooters!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users