112 replies to this topic

#101 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Phil was not known either for his great "Offence" or "defence" in reality his offene and defence X and O's are all just average to good. If you ask me I think Poppovich is a better defensive coach and I think Adelman is a better offensive coach. However, Phil Jacksons biggest strength was his ability to weave superstars together and put them all on the same page to focus at the task at hand and that was win a championship. I dont know how the [expletive] he does it. But he gets the job done, its like he mind [expletive]s the players to just put their crap together just to win and his proven that his "focus" coaching wins. How many coaches can claim to get their team to repeat let alone win a championship. Phils amount of back to back to backs is enough for me

Poppovich does the same as Phil but a bit less different, he makes you leave your ego off the court. He doenst care how much of a star you are, its if you want to play you dont have an ego, and that comes from Duncan as well. His attitude helps him preach it.

Phil and Poppovich type of coaches Psychology get you to play your best.

While sub-par coaches like Brown, D'antoni get you to play in a system and run it their way...

Edited by Lakers4Life, November 14, 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Laker fan for life.

#102 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:55 PM

^^^
Brown had a system?

#103 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 14, 2012 - 06:59 PM

so we are getting d'antoni and wont bring in a defensive assistant.

Sorry, but I dont believe in that heart and soul crap. We are doomed.

And please dudes, stop underrating Phil, just because we did not get him stop saying that he was not a defensive coach, he was not but he was 100 times better than d'antoni, there is a reason why phil has 11 rings and d'antoni none

Teams/players without heart and soul win nothing. What makes the great ones truly great is there heart and soul. Kobe liked to rip teams hearts out. Lamar had great god giving talent and almost no heart and soul, that is why he was never more than a good role player.
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#104 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:02 PM

^^^
Brown had a system?

I said a system, not a good system haha. He had spectacular plays liek the following

"Dump it to Lebron, and get the [expletive] out of the way"
" Dump it to Kobe, and get the [expletive] out of the way"

Good system
Laker fan for life.

#105 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 14, 2012 - 07:16 PM

I've been hearing D'antoni will coach either Friday or Sunday, any clarification?

#106 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,976 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 14, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Phil was not known either for his great "Offence" or "defence" in reality his offene and defence X and O's are all just average to good. If you ask me I think Poppovich is a better defensive coach and I think Adelman is a better offensive coach. However, Phil Jacksons biggest strength was his ability to weave superstars together and put them all on the same page to focus at the task at hand and that was win a championship. I dont know how the [expletive] he does it. But he gets the job done, its like he mind [expletive]s the players to just put their crap together just to win and his proven that his "focus" coaching wins. How many coaches can claim to get their team to repeat let alone win a championship. Phils amount of back to back to backs is enough for me

Poppovich does the same as Phil but a bit less different, he makes you leave your ego off the court. He doenst care how much of a star you are, its if you want to play you dont have an ego, and that comes from Duncan as well. His attitude helps him preach it.

Phil and Poppovich type of coaches Psychology get you to play your best.

While sub-par coaches like Brown, D'antoni get you to play in a system and run it their way...

actually Brown did have a defensive system, the problem is Pau isn't Varajeao :P take that anyway you like lol

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#107 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,407 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted November 14, 2012 - 09:49 PM

actually Brown did have a defensive system, the problem is Pau isn't Varajeao :P take that anyway you like lol

Still riding Brown I see. Pathetic.

#108 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:22 PM

Not meant to be offensive..I just believe that defense takes care of itself if you have players with heart and soul and a will to win.
.....Three things needed to win championships #1 Talent #2 a coach that understand and is able to work with players that are not all cut out of the same mold. #3 Players that play with heart and soul and want to win!
.....PJ had talent, PJ had the ability to get different personalities to work together and PJ had players/teams that played with heat and soul.

I completely agree.

Defense is about effort and how much players are willing to focus on that end of the floor.

In the years we went to the Finals under Phil Jackson, these were are PPG allowed:

2008 - 101.3 ppg
2009 - 99.3 ppg
2010 - 97.0 ppg

Now is anyone going to argue those are outstanding defensive numbers? No. In fact we were never top 5 in the league in ANY season under Phil Jackson, that goes back to 1999-2000.

Getting those crucial stops during a game is what decides games. Doesn't mean you need to have a top 5 defense necessarily you just need to be good enough. Defense wins titles, that's not a secret. But do you need to be a juggernaut defense to be there in June? No. Phil Jackson and his teams proved that.

#109 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,976 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:28 PM

I completely agree.

Defense is about effort and how much players are willing to focus on that end of the floor.

In the years we went to the Finals under Phil Jackson, these were are PPG allowed:

2008 - 101.3 ppg
2009 - 99.3 ppg
2010 - 97.0 ppg

Now is anyone going to argue those are outstanding defensive numbers? No. In fact we were never top 5 in the league in ANY season under Phil Jackson, that goes back to 1999-2000.

Getting those crucial stops during a game is what decides games. Doesn't mean you need to have a top 5 defense necessarily you just need to be good enough. Defense wins titles, that's not a secret. But do you need to be a juggernaut defense to be there in June? No. Phil Jackson and his teams proved that.

Honestly, allowing 96 per game(which we're at now) I'm fine with.

#110 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,354 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:31 PM

Honestly, allowing 96 per game(which we're at now) I'm fine with.

I am too. This team just needs play hard on both ends of the courts. Look at our defensive performance last night. Kobe said himself they are basically improvising out there without any set systems on either end.

Effort is where its at. We weren't playing hard for Brown, I truly believe that changes with D'Antoni.

#111 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,976 posts

Posted November 14, 2012 - 10:34 PM

I am too. This team just needs play hard on both ends of the courts. Look at our defensive performance last night. Kobe said himself they are basically improvising out there without any set systems on either end.

Effort is where its at. We weren't playing hard for Brown, I truly believe that changes with D'Antoni.

We've been playing good defense since the Utah game when we went through those quarter stretches preventing them from scoring.

Lately and under Bernie and Clifford our effort has been there for 48 minutes for the most part so we carry that momentum on.

One of the best things I've been witnessing is during our usual 3rd quarter slow start we lock them down on D till we start scoring again, THAT is vital for us and I love watching it.

#112 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,541 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted May 04, 2013 - 01:59 PM

Nate Mcmillan Not The Defensive Coach He's Cracked Up To Be

To see how much a difference pace can make, here’s how McMillan’s teams ranked in points allowed per game/points allowed per possession:

2000-01 SuperSonics: 24th/24th*

2001-02 SuperSonics: 12th/17th

2002-03 SuperSonics: 6th/17th

2003-04 SuperSonics: 24th/27th

2004-05 SuperSonics: 13th/27th

2005-06 Trail Blazers: 18th/28th

2006-07 Trail Blazers: 14th/26th

2007-08 Trail Blazers: 8th/17th

2008-09 Trail Blazers: 4th/13th

2009-10 Trail Blazers: 3rd/15th

2010-11 Trail Blazers: 7th/14th

2011-12 Trail Blazers: 18th/23rd**

And his teams usually perform well offensively. After all, if his defenses do poorly, there has to be some reason his teams win more often than not.

There’s plenty of variation in rankings for McMillan’s teams offensively (using points scored per possession) — 10th, 5th, 19th, 3rd, 2nd, 30th, 20th, 14th, 1st, 7th, 10th, 11th — but they certainly skew to the positive.

http://www.pistonpow...acked-up-to-be/

#113 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,715 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 04, 2013 - 02:24 PM

Scott Skiles

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users